Into the Cold

by Meghann on February 9, 2011

Out of the warm and into the cold.

IMG_6979.jpg

Welcome to NYC Baby! πŸ™‚

It’s actually not that cold. I mean, nothing a few layers and a good pair of boots couldn’t handle. πŸ˜‰

At least one of us came prepared for the cold weather.

No gloves AND no hat?

I’m in love with a Florida boy. What can I say? πŸ˜‰

First things first.

Much better. $5 well spent for this Florida boy. πŸ˜‰

One of my favorite things about traveling to a big city is that everyone knows it well and has millions of suggestions on where to eat and what to do. After one quick twitter shout out for suggestions for a good lunch spot in the Union Square area, I was hounded with over a dozen choices.

A quick googled search had us narrowing those choices down to one: Curly’s Vegetarian Lunch

Curly’s was a cute tiny little vegetarian restaurant off of 13th street with about 8 tables and a huge menu of sandwiches, burgers, and mexican eats.

I was in the mood for something light to lunch and assumed the ‘vegetable plate’ would be light. My bad,

This massive plate of grilled veggies, rice, black beans, and gravy was placed in front of me. It wa good (really, really good) just a little heavier than I was expecting. I could barely manage half and gave the rest of the plate to Derek. πŸ™‚

Derek ordered the 400 Million Pop Burrito and just about licked his plate clean. Give the man black beans and he’s a happy man.

After lunch we did a little shopping and a little exploring.

I’ll never forget the amazing Hot Chocolate I had at the City Bakery the last time I was in New York City. It was an experience I knew I had to recreate with Derek during this visit.

It’s not your traditional hot chocolate. This hot chocolate is rich, creamy, and tastes like pure melted chocolate with the most amazing homemade marshmallow floating in the middle.

Between the two of us, we still had problems finishing the cup of chocolatey goodness.

So good, but so rich. πŸ™‚

We had dinner plans this evening with a few of my favorite NYC girls at Candle 79 for birthday dinner round 2 (3?).

The internet makes a small world even smaller. Case in point, our dining companions for this evening: Jacquie (who I stayed with last July in DC), Gabriela (who was just In Orlando last month), and Dori ( who I ran the Giridiron 4 miler with a year ago this week).

All four ladies are current NYCers, but thanks to the internet we’ve crossed paths once or twice in the past. It was great to see all of them again and it was nice to finally introduce them all to Derek. See ladies, he does exist! πŸ˜‰

I’ve heard nothing, but rave review after rave review about Candle 79, so I was really excited about this evening’s dining plans.

I’m usually not one for mixed drinks, but when everyone else was passing around the cocktail menu I couldn’t help, but take a peak. The Apple Hot Toddy definitely spoke to me.

IMG_7005.jpg

Wow. The drink was basically Hot Apple Cider with a shot of run. It’s the kind of drink that grows hair on your chest. I was definitely a fan. πŸ™‚ However, I preferred it hot. When the drink cooled to room temperature the intense flavor just wasn’t the same. :/

Before anything arrived a taster was delivered to the table compliments of the chef

Black Bean Puree with a delicious Pineapple Salsa that had just the faintest hint of cilantro to it.

To start the five of use decided to split two appetizers.

The Vegan Nachos (served with seitan, this dish was phenomenal)

And the Onion Rings (light and crispy and not the slightest bit greasy)

Candle 79 has an amazing, creative menu and it was very, very tough to pick just one option for dinner. Everything sounded wonderful and f it were up to me I would have asked for one of everything. In the end the Avocado Salad was what really captured my attention.

The salad was a nice break from my previous meals during the day. It was light, airy and very refreshing. I was a huge fan.

Derek ordered the Chillian Seitan and was impressed by the flavor and filling portion of the dish.

I had a couple of bites and was equally impressed with the ‘meaty’ texture and flavor of the dish.

When dessert time rolled around I was told to save room because it was going to be good and they weren’t kidding!

Our table shared the

Cannoli

Loved the ice cream, but the cannoli filling needed a little work

Mexican Brownie

My favorite of the three! I was particularly a fan of the candied nuts on top.

Peanut Butter Mousse

I loved the rich chocolate, but wished the dish would of had a little more to it.

I went to the bathroom and returned to find the other girls cleaning the plates with their fingers and spoons. Good to the last drop, right?

So much fun!

It’s late and I have a 6:30am spin date. Time for bed.

Good night!!

1 Karolina February 9, 2011 at 11:29 pm

oooh. It looks chilly, but on a positive note-I love your outfit! i hope the trip is fun:)
Karolina recently posted..REBT &amp Challenging Your Irrational Beliefs

2 Katy (The Singing Runner) February 9, 2011 at 11:31 pm

Looks like an amazing day with great food! πŸ™‚ Have fun!!! πŸ™‚

P.S- I love your hat! And you are super pretty! Love the pictures! πŸ˜€

3 Angela February 9, 2011 at 11:33 pm

How much fun! I’ve always wanted to go to NYC! I could use some of that amazing chocolate here in the cold!
Angela recently posted..Real Wedding Wednesday!

4 Sana February 9, 2011 at 11:38 pm

Sooo much fun! enjoy your time in NYC!!!
Sana recently posted..Two Nuns Walking Down The Street

5 Maryann February 9, 2011 at 11:38 pm

I am so jealous, I love NYC! Dinner looks delicious, esp those desserts πŸ™‚
Maryann recently posted..Disneyland

6 Chelsey (Cookteen) February 9, 2011 at 11:39 pm

looks amazing! I need to try that hot chocolate! You must try EATaly, its absolutely amazing!! they have a shot glass of melted chocolate…pure heaven
Chelsey (Cookteen) recently posted..Chocolate Chocolate Chocolate Cookies

7 Kaitlin February 9, 2011 at 11:41 pm

Sounds like a wonderful time! Keep enjoying your vacation πŸ™‚
Kaitlin recently posted..Another Tuesday

8 Shannon @ Philadelphia Phitness Pharmacy February 9, 2011 at 11:51 pm

Looks so fun! Wish I was there!!!
Shannon @ Philadelphia Phitness Pharmacy recently posted..Bondi Band Giveaway

9 Courtney @ the granola chronicles February 9, 2011 at 11:57 pm

What a fun group!

10 Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) February 9, 2011 at 11:57 pm

Candle is on my life bucket list of restaurants. I NEED to get there. It’s a long way from San Diego tho πŸ™‚

Soooo happy you had a great time, great food, and a wonderful meetup! yay for bloggie friends πŸ™‚
Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) recently posted..Going to the Doctor

11 Kiran February 10, 2011 at 12:17 am

I am practically drooling over the dessert photos!!!
Kiran recently posted..Routine- or so I thought

12 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) February 10, 2011 at 12:41 am

I wish I was in NYC! Spinning on vacation?! You are crazy πŸ™‚
Kate (What Kate is Cooking) recently posted..Hello- February!

13 Lauren February 10, 2011 at 2:36 am

That looks like a good day of food!
Lauren recently posted..Second Time’s the Charm

14 Nicole February 10, 2011 at 5:41 am

You hit up some of my favorite spots today! Love the veggie burgers at Curly’s, I think one of the best I’ve ever had? And the hot chocolate at city bakery as part of February’s Hot Chocolate Festival is definitely an experience.

15 Kara February 10, 2011 at 6:33 am

Your hat is adorable!

It looks like you had a day of great eats, especially that avocado salad!
Kara recently posted..I remember

16 Lauren February 10, 2011 at 6:47 am

Oh wow!!! What a delicious and fun day! So nice that you got to meet up with these lovely ladies for a great b-day dinner. I would have licked the plates too!
Lauren recently posted..Insanity to the Max

17 Grace February 10, 2011 at 7:02 am

Ah! So many good eats! I really need to visit NYC! Hope you’re having lots of fun!
Grace recently posted..Indulgence

18 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey February 10, 2011 at 7:13 am

What a fun day! Seriously, this is the best birthday celebration ever!
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..happy irish woman

19 Allie February 10, 2011 at 7:35 am

It looks like you are really enjoying yourself!! Good, you deserve a vacation! I love how you are in love with a Florida boy LOL, he didn’t bring a hat or gloves! I hope spinning goes well πŸ™‚
Allie recently posted..Time for

20 megan @ blackberries for jam February 10, 2011 at 7:56 am

What a heavenly day of food! I firmly believe that birthdays are meant to be celebrated for AT LEAST a week, so you are entitled to many more birthday dinners.
megan @ blackberries for jam recently posted..Favorites- Ezekiel English Muffins

21 katie February 10, 2011 at 7:56 am

So glad you guys made it to NYC safe! Derek !!thank heaven you bought that boy a hat!!! lol! I know you guys are used to the warm florida weather : ) lucky!

How sweet you got to meet up with blog friends, I know Gabriela through the blogworld and hoping to meet her one day! She is soooooo sweet! Geez everyone is ; ) looks like you guys had a great dinner and dessert was fab I see!

Have a wonderful day today! xo
katie recently posted..Tuna Love Maker

22 Fit Chick Britt February 10, 2011 at 8:05 am

Holy yum! I want that hot chocolate! I think it’s so neat that the blogging community is so small everyone seems to know eachother. I’d be really interested in meeting with bloggers in my area. Does anyone know of any bloggers in the Houston areas and vicinity?
Fit Chick Britt recently posted..Warm Up With Some Soup

23 Matt @ The Athlete's Plate February 10, 2011 at 8:12 am

That is an AWESOME day! Happy birthday again πŸ™‚
Matt @ The Athlete’s Plate recently posted..Cilantro and Pumpkin Seed Pesto

24 Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine February 10, 2011 at 8:34 am

Loved seeing you last night!! I’m glad you liked the restaurant. Lived up to our descriptions, I hope? Enjoy your day in the city!
Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine recently posted..Josies Restaurant

25 Hope February 10, 2011 at 8:35 am

What a fun day! So nice that you were able to meet up with some blog girls and do dinner at Candle! That restaurant looks amazing! I keep seeing pictures from people eating there and the food just looks incredible and I’m not even a vegetarian. I need to try this place! πŸ™‚
Hope recently posted..Philly Auto Show- Baby Kyleigh &amp The Rest of the Weekend…

26 Dori February 10, 2011 at 8:45 am

I’ve never been to City Bakery before! That hot choc sounds amaze, must get myself there before the winter is over. Had such a great time with you, LOVE Candle 79 and so glad you got to eat there. Definitely worthy of a birthday celebration! I realized after that I forgot to ask the waiter to put a candle in the dessert! Oh well. So glad I got to see you again and finally meet Derek, even though I only said one dirty word all night long. Can’t win ’em all.
Dori recently posted..My Response to the NY Times Article

27 MegaNerd February 10, 2011 at 9:10 am

I’m so jealous… I want NYC!
MegaNerd recently posted..GIDDY-UP!

28 Holly @ Couch Potato Athlete February 10, 2011 at 9:15 am

The PB mousse looks hilarious — I love that it is just a cylinder of delicious PB goodness.

I’m the opposite of Derek — I bring stuff for any type of weather. I bring waaaaay too much stuff!

29 Lizzy February 10, 2011 at 9:16 am

He looks soo cold! It’s chilly and windy here and I feel his pain. Glad to see he got a hat! Looks like a fun day and those hot chocolates are awesome.
Lizzy recently posted..My Office Smells Funky

30 rebecca lustig February 10, 2011 at 9:38 am

i really want to get to cnadle 79! maybe just for that brownie… looks so decadent!

31 Ashley February 10, 2011 at 9:43 am

You look fabulous, poor Derek haha he looked so cold. The food looks incredible and delicious. Happy late Birthday. Spinning early in the morning sounds like a great way to spend it.

32 Eliz@The Sweet Life February 10, 2011 at 9:59 am

You ladies look so lovely!!! It’s freezing in NYC-buy that boy a down coat! πŸ™‚
Eliz@The Sweet Life recently posted..For better or worseor recession

33 Jess (Daly Authenticity) February 10, 2011 at 10:02 am

Meghann, it looks like you guys had a wonderful first day! And by the way — you look just as beautiful in the cold weather as you do in the warm!
Jess (Daly Authenticity) recently posted..Easy Weeknight Skillet Chicken Pasta

34 Ali @ Ali Runs February 10, 2011 at 10:18 am

That hot chocolate looks delicious!! It’s funny because I live in New York (western) and usually don’t wear a hat or gloves either, so it’s not just a Florida thing. πŸ™‚
Ali @ Ali Runs recently posted..Family Birthday Party

35 Kelly February 10, 2011 at 10:59 am

Ah NYC, I do miss getting to go there every other weekend.
Kelly recently posted..Late- late- late

36 Lauren @ Running Examiner February 10, 2011 at 11:01 am

I’m glad you liked Candle 79! I recently had a very unfortunate experience there…terrible service, and the food was really off. I’ve been to Candle Cafe several times and always enjoyed my meals, though!

Of course, I manage to always love the hot chocolate at City Bakery. πŸ™‚ I’m not sure I’ve ever been able to finish an entire cup, though! So rich.
Lauren @ Running Examiner recently posted..Run in the New Year

37 Beth @ DiningAndDishing February 10, 2011 at 11:13 am

I would absolutely die over that hot chocolate! 100% sure I could drink that whole thing myself :).
Beth @ DiningAndDishing recently posted..How Tealightful

38 Gwen February 10, 2011 at 11:33 am

You guys are headed to VERMONT and Derek didn’t bring a hat or gloves? Is he expecting to ski barefoot too? πŸ˜‰ I think I want to hit up Candle 79 with my veggie girl when I go to NYC next!

39 Errign February 10, 2011 at 10:48 pm

I was thinking this re: Vermont too πŸ™‚ I live in New Hampshire and it’s zero degrees right now!
Errign recently posted..Day 15 &amp open mic

40 Kristen February 10, 2011 at 1:14 pm

I was just in NYC last week for business! Off to Florida next week, YAY!

Have an awesome time πŸ™‚

41 Kacy February 10, 2011 at 1:47 pm

Sounds so fun! I’ve never been to NYC but once I move to D.C. it’s definitely HIGH on the to-do list.
Kacy recently posted..A Healthy Habit Journey- Post 3 from the SIL

42 jenna February 10, 2011 at 9:02 pm

desserts look delishhh!
jenna recently posted..A bit of random…

43 Kelly- Shiny Happy Vegan February 10, 2011 at 10:54 pm

Oh I am so jealous you got to eat at Candle 79! Your dishes looked amazing!