Blogger Boot Camp

by Meghann on February 5, 2011

Self propelled treadmills are AWESOME!

IMG_4358.jpg

Seriously.

I hate treadmills. I hate them! I mean, I’m a runner and I understand their purpose, so I use them, but they never compare to running outside. Everything feels too controlled and fake.

However, the self-propelled treadmill is totally different. You’re the one controlling the speed and the way your feet hit the mat feels much more natural. I love it.

I had the pleasure of testing out the amazing self propelled treadmill at the Saperia Fitness Center today.

A couple of weeks ago Julie did a shout out on her blog for any Orlando locals looking to participate in a ‘blogger bootcamp’ sometime in February. Her friend had just opened a personal training studio and was looking to spread the word. Of course I immediately added my name to that list. I’m always game for a kick butt boot camp.

166691_183497748357188_160419247331705_430198_4833839_n.jpg

And kick butt was right! Our personal trainers for the day, Ben & Dave, took us through a circuit style bootcamp consisting of 11 different stations that had me catching my breath at the end.

We did each station not once, not twice, but three times! I thought he was joking when he told us to line up again for the third time, but he wasn’t. No, he was far from joking.

181644_183497245023905_160419247331705_430186_1358662_n.jpg

It was definitely a work out, but so much fun! I loved how encouraging each the guys were throughout the circuits and how they would correct my form. I never feel like I’m ever doing moves right, so I usually give a half hearted effort and give up. Not today through.

180525_183497405023889_160419247331705_430190_307690_n.jpg

167167_183497708357192_160419247331705_430197_1387324_n.jpg

Plus neither of them were a bore to look at (if you know what I mean). And those english accents? There’s something about being yelled at to hold a move longer that is just more encouraging when it comes from a guy with an english accent. 😉

IMG_4363.jpg IMG_4364.jpg

Thanks Julie, Ben, and Dave for a kick butt morning! I was definitely stinky and sweaty by the end (in a good way 😉 ).

I was parched after the boot camp and decided to make a juice with the fancy schmancy juicer I got for Christmas.

IMG_4367.jpg

For 2 servings

• 1 can of Beets (I didn’t have fresh beets, but the canned ones worked)
  • 1 Large Apple
  • 3 Carrots
  • 1/4 piece of Ginger
  • 1/2 Lemon

The juice was great post-work out refueling. I also grabbed a handful of pretzels to satisfy my need to crunch.

The skies have temporarily cleared. Better take advantage of this while I can!

1 Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun February 5, 2011 at 3:47 pm

That definitely looks like so much fun!!!
Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun recently posted..FFF Features

2 Alaina February 5, 2011 at 3:49 pm

Wow, that looks like so much fun! I’ll have to find a gym that offers classes like that. I’m getting bored with P90X. There’s only so much Tony that I can take. Have a great afternoon! 🙂
Alaina recently posted..Saving Face

3 Katie @ Healthy Heddleston February 5, 2011 at 3:51 pm

That treadmill looks awesome! I just saw it on Julie’s blog too! I wonder how much something like that retails for… hmm…
Katie @ Healthy Heddleston recently posted..EatSmart Scale Review My Scale Views

4 Kristy @ KristyRuns February 5, 2011 at 3:54 pm

I want to try that treadmill! Looks like so much fun! 🙂

Mmmm! I had a similar juice the other day. The ginger really kicks it up a notch!
Kristy @ KristyRuns recently posted..Sweet Momma

5 Kiran February 5, 2011 at 3:56 pm

Ahh!! I miss this time around – was so sore from running yesterday!!! Glad you all had fun 🙂
Kiran recently posted..Simple Guacamole

6 movesnmunchies February 5, 2011 at 3:58 pm

that looks like so so so much fun!! im so jealous and that treadmill is freakin awesome!!
movesnmunchies recently posted..The Big Carb Debate…

7 Lindsey February 5, 2011 at 4:01 pm

I’ve been looking into treadmills for awhile, and am seriously considering a manual one so I’m glad to see you liked it! Was it hard to get it moving?
Lindsey recently posted..adding to our home

8 Maryann February 5, 2011 at 4:02 pm

I wish my gym would get some of those treadmills…I love the concept of them!
Maryann recently posted..Accent VLOG

9 Katy (The Singing Runner) February 5, 2011 at 4:05 pm

Im really interested in that treadmill. Is it any more difficult than a standard one?
Looks like you had a blast!
Katy (The Singing Runner) recently posted..The Spin Class That Almost Wasn&8217t

10 Heidi February 5, 2011 at 4:12 pm

Just saw this on Julie’s blog too! I’ve never seen a treadmill like that before, but somehow it seems harder than running outside, because not only are you indoors but you are also having to push yourself. Would definitely be a good addition to a workout.

11 Carolina February 5, 2011 at 4:17 pm

Ha, you’re so right Meghann, loved the accents 🙂 Good times, now lets make it out to Vixen again before you move!
Carolina recently posted..Super Bowl 45 Vegetarian Style!

12 Amy at TheSceneFromMe February 5, 2011 at 4:30 pm

Looks like you girls had a great morning! Wish I lived nearby, but I am in the snow and ice up north!
Cozy in the kitchen now making some homemade treats for tonights poker party!
Amy at TheSceneFromMe recently posted..It’s A Hot Cocoa Kind Of Day

13 Carolyn February 5, 2011 at 4:31 pm

Hello hotties with accents !! – My weakness 🙂
I am so intrigued by the self-propelled treadmill but I doubt anyone in Tucson has one.
Carolyn recently posted..It’s the weekend baby!

14 Jenna @Eating Green, Staying Lean February 5, 2011 at 4:33 pm

Looks like fun!

15 G February 5, 2011 at 4:35 pm

Awesome – I’m going to have to read up on those special treadmills! Also, English accents make me droooooool….

16 Kaitlin February 5, 2011 at 4:38 pm

Sounds so fun! I hate treadmills too. Today we had over 4 inches of snow and 20 degree weather in Michigan! I wish I had bootcamp to go to.
Kaitlin recently posted..FB- My first 5K

17 Tracy @ Commit To Fit February 5, 2011 at 4:45 pm

I also hate the treadmill, I always run outdoors, but I would love to try this one out! Looks like everyone got a great workout 🙂
Tracy @ Commit To Fit recently posted..Vegan for a Week Challenge

18 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey February 5, 2011 at 4:47 pm

That instsructor is TALL!!! There’s something about an accent that makes my heart flutter. 🙂
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..happy irish woman

19 Courtney @ The Granola Chronicles February 5, 2011 at 4:55 pm

That blogger bootcamp looked like so much fun!
Courtney @ The Granola Chronicles recently posted..The Necessities

20 Ali @ Ali on the Run February 5, 2011 at 4:56 pm

So fun! Blogger meet-ups are the best. Way to go Orlando girls!
Ali @ Ali on the Run recently posted..The Best Weekend Ever

21 delia February 5, 2011 at 5:12 pm

The self propelled treadmill sounds awesome! Changing your speed on a treadmill by pressing buttons is just so unnatural.

22 Sara (Miles and Manhattan) February 5, 2011 at 5:13 pm

Looks great! We’ll have to do one of those in nyc!!
xoxo
s
Sara (Miles and Manhattan) recently posted..chow-dah

23 sarah (sarah learns) February 5, 2011 at 5:27 pm

i love being told what to do at the gym! i always end up getting a way better work out than when i make it up myself! 🙂
sarah (sarah learns) recently posted..do you tattoo

24 Semisweet Courtney February 5, 2011 at 5:44 pm

What a neat treadmill! I always feel like I’m going to fall off the treadmill no matter the speed! Did this one make you feel like that?
Semisweet Courtney recently posted..Snow- Snow- and More Snow…

25 Matt @ The Athlete's Plate February 5, 2011 at 5:44 pm

I’ve been on a self propelled treadmill once and I thought it was pretty cool!
Matt @ The Athlete’s Plate recently posted..Whole Foods Goodies

26 Nicci (NiftyEats) February 5, 2011 at 5:48 pm

I love going to boot camps with friends, sounds like a sweaty but great workout.
Nicci (NiftyEats) recently posted..Snow Zombie No More

27 Biz February 5, 2011 at 5:57 pm

I’ve actually never seen a treadmill like that! Hannah and I went to a 30 minute spin training class – figured out how to position the bikes, etc. I may be getting up for a 60 minute class tomorrow at 8:00!

Enjoy the rest of your day!
Biz recently posted..Best News!

28 Alayna @ Thyme Bombe February 5, 2011 at 7:03 pm

That treadmill looks like so much fun! I’ve never heard of those before. It’s really neat looking.
Alayna @ Thyme Bombe recently posted..Mixed lunch

29 Kristina @ Life as Kristina February 5, 2011 at 7:04 pm

Looks like such a good time! I want to try out that treadmill-it’d be interesting to see what pace I would hit indoors!
Kristina @ Life as Kristina recently posted..Sucker for Kirby

30 Doc (The Healthy PhD) February 5, 2011 at 7:46 pm

Thanks for the post on the self-propelled treadmills! I’ve always wondered if they feel more ‘natural’. Sometimes I’m too lazy though…and then the propulsion of a treadmill gets me going. Do you know if there are any machines that do both?
Doc (The Healthy PhD) recently posted..Bachelorette weekend

31 Heather February 5, 2011 at 7:51 pm

that looks so fun! I have seen the curby TM’s before but never really realized they were self propelled! awesome!
Heather recently posted..Accent Vlog

32 Dannielle February 5, 2011 at 8:50 pm

I really want to try a bootcamp class so bad! I think after reading this post I will finally make the time. That treadmill sounds/looks awesome! Wish my gym had one…was it a lot harder?
Dannielle recently posted..“If you don’t know where you are going- any road will get you there”

33 Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) February 5, 2011 at 8:56 pm

i HATE treadmills too! I just posted yesterday at all costs, either -20F or 114F, I would rather spend 5 mins outside than be on a TMill!

the meetup looks fabulous!! i would love to do something like that!

34 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) February 5, 2011 at 9:06 pm

Wow, that looks so fun! Your smoothie looks good, except I HATE beets. I think it runs in my family- we all have a huge aversion to them! Is the taste overpowering?
Kate (What Kate is Cooking) recently posted..Hello- February!

35 Casey @ Insatiably Healthy February 5, 2011 at 9:39 pm

Okay, so there are three of those self-propelled treadmills at my gym, but I’m so afraid I’m going to fall on my face the first step.
Was it hard to get used to? Is there a ‘strategy?’
Casey @ Insatiably Healthy recently posted..Lobster Claws- Party Streamers- and Horny Goat Weed

36 Lauren February 5, 2011 at 9:54 pm

Bootcamps are always a great workout! I feel the same way about Shawn T. It makes doing crazy intervals so much easier when you have a nice target to look at. 😉
Lauren recently posted..Insanity to the Max

37 rebecca lustig February 5, 2011 at 10:07 pm

ive never heard of a self propelled treadmill, but i definitely could use one in my life! i feel the same way about running on treadmills vs. running outside

38 Emma February 5, 2011 at 10:08 pm

Beets scare me, but a good idea is to hide them in a smoothie! I shall try it.
Emma recently posted..Free Yoga! and 59-Cent Meals!

39 Amanda (tomboy that wears makeup) February 6, 2011 at 12:49 am

Blogger Boot camp looks like fun! I also need to incorporate beets into my diet. Mmmm, should I add them to my already amazing shake that consists of berries, banana, parsley, celery, cilantro, cucumber, ginger, fresh squeezed lemon and oj. Could I really fit beets into it? Are they worth it????

40 Lauren @ Running Examiner February 7, 2011 at 8:57 am

Looks fun!

I really like self-propelled treadmills, too. I wish more gyms had them! I don’t out-right hate the treadmill — it has been a godsend this winter in NYC — but I agree that it can limit your stride a bit. Self-propelled treadmills usually clear this problem up (for me, anyway).
Lauren @ Running Examiner recently posted..Run in the New Year

41 Halley (Blunder Construction) February 7, 2011 at 10:30 am

This looks like fun, you have so much energy! I hadn’t heard of a self-propelled treadmill, I think I would like it!
Halley (Blunder Construction) recently posted..Rock Park