Workin’ From The ‘Rents

by Meghann on February 4, 2011

Office of choice today? My parents’ kitchen table.

[Picture kitchen table here. I would post a photo, but my Mom might disown me for showing a photo of the big mess she I made of the table. :/ ]

I liked working from the kitchen. My parents’ have a big house, so when no one is home the kitchen is peacefully quiet. Plus, the TV is in the other room (not the case at my apartment and a big reason why I find it hard to work at my apartment) and Maddie has Scooby to play with instead of constantly nagging on me. πŸ™‚

When lunch time rolled around I did what I always do when I come to my parents house. I opened the fridge, stared for two minutes, and declared there was nothing to eat. My parents’ fridge is huge, intimidating, and filled with random condiments, left overs, and other foreign things I’m not used to. I don’t know why, but my parents’ fridge always wigs me out. I guess I’m used to my much smaller fridge only full of foods I eat?

Well, my little brother came home for lunch and didn’t blink an eye at the contents of the fridge. He grabbed items I had missed in my original assessment and made a beautiful bean wrap. I always knew I liked that kid.

Obviously I had to copy him.

Ben’s Wrap contained Red Pepper Hummus, Shredded Cheese, Red Beans, Peppers, Onions, and Lettuce. All tied together in a spinach wrap.

The pickle on the side was all my idea. It’s an organic pickle my Dad picked up at Whole Foods this past weekend. Me likey.

So, there was something to eat in my parents’ fridge. Who knew? πŸ˜‰

I sat at my parents kitchen table from the time my little brother left to go back to work until he returned home from work 4 hours later. I swear there is not enough time in the day.

My tummy did grumble at one point, so I made a snack of Instant Oatmeal (totally exploded in the microwave) with cereal and Nutella.

Mmmm…..

I had the pleasure of raiding my parents’ closet for ski gear when my Dad got home.

This is what we call our sports closet. I have to warn you – it smells!

IMG_6557.jpg

We have tennis rackets, skis, ski boots, ski gear, roller blades, and snorkels.

IMG_6562.JPGIMG_6570.JPGIMG_6571.JPG

Maybe we should also call this our vacation closet? πŸ˜‰

I hope I remembered everything! I’ve heard a rumor it’s going to be extra cold in the mountains next week. Brrrrr….

My Dad invited me to be his date tonight for his weekly Friday night dinner with friends. My Mom was on called and I had no where to go. Free food is free food. πŸ™‚

We ate at a dive bar that has been around since the 70s (a rarity in Titusville).

It’s a hidden gem that I believe only the people who were regulars back in the 70s actually know about it. Out of the 30+ patrons in the restaurant, I’m pretty sure I was the youngest and even if I was 10 years older, I probably would have still be the youngest. πŸ˜‰

The menu mostly consisted of burgers and your typical greasy food options. I wasn’t expecting much for my meal, but was pleasantly surprised when a delicious Mahi plate was placed in front of me.

The blacked fish was fresh and perfectly cooked.

The vegetables were steamed, colorful, and contained no butter or oil.

And the potato was dry (the way I like it, I’m an odd one) and 1/2 was the perfect portion size.

All in all a great meal But, the service? Ehhh….. The service scores low. For a small place they sure take their time bringing the check over.

After dinner I headed back to Orlando to pick my friend up whose staying with me for the weekend from the airport (and tried an Awake Tea with one pump of Caramel from Starbucks. Wasn’t a fan.)

Dessert was a serving of Edys Take the Cake Ice Cream.

That was a long one! Sorry about that. The late breakfast through my timing off on here. πŸ™‚

I hope everyone has a great weekend!! πŸ™‚

1 Kathleen @ Kat's Health Corner February 4, 2011 at 10:43 pm

That ice cream looks AMAZING girl!!!! πŸ™‚ I LOVE your mug by the way!
Kathleen @ Kat’s Health Corner recently posted..Baby It’s SNOW Outside!

2 Allison @ OneWhiteTulip February 4, 2011 at 10:46 pm

Any time I visit my parents I’m at a complete loss for what to eat, even through they buy basically the same food I do. It’s sad. You are not alone!
Allison @ OneWhiteTulip recently posted..Eat Food Not too much Mostly plants

3 Stacy @ Every Little Thing February 4, 2011 at 11:02 pm

I’m at my parents for the weekend and so far I’ve eaten fruit flan and little else haha. This is not looking good (or is it…).
Stacy @ Every Little Thing recently posted..February Grocery Event- Produce

4 Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) February 4, 2011 at 11:05 pm

I echo this 100%!!!!!
“My parents’ fridge is huge, intimidating, and filled with random condiments, left overs, and other foreign things I’m not used to. I don’t know why, but my parents’ fridge always wigs me out.”–

YES! And my mom’s fridge is messy. Mine is OCD neat and tidy. And I like it that way πŸ™‚

5 Laura (Starloz) February 4, 2011 at 11:06 pm

i live at home still & always stare into the fridge dazed. mum comes over & suggests ideas for me. seriously, mothers are queen of the full fridge.
Laura (Starloz) recently posted..Bonding

6 Kiran February 4, 2011 at 11:09 pm

Wowzer, that wrap looks delish! Have a happy weekend πŸ™‚
Kiran recently posted..Simple Guacamole

7 Jessica @ The Process of Healing February 4, 2011 at 11:12 pm

I LOVE plain potatoes too.. but with salt!
Jessica @ The Process of Healing recently posted..Good-Bad News

8 samantha @ bikini birthday February 4, 2011 at 11:12 pm

I swear, all my parents eat is bread and cheese. Whenever I go over and get hungry, my only option is bread, cheese, and some sort of leftover meats. I realized how differently I eat now than I used to

9 Amanda @ Eating Up February 4, 2011 at 11:13 pm

My parents’ fridge says the same thing to me!
Amanda @ Eating Up recently posted..A Brewing Question for You

10 Katy (The Singing Runner) February 4, 2011 at 11:33 pm

I’m home for the weekend and it took me SO long to find something to make for dinner. Guess it happens to all of us. πŸ˜‰

11 Sana February 5, 2011 at 12:03 am

I live at home so I can have access to my parent’s fridge anyyytime I want!
Enjoy the time with your friend!

12 Jasmine @ Eat Move Write February 5, 2011 at 12:09 am

Strange to have slow service at a mom and pop type joint. Usually that’s the best service you can get. I love that you were your dad’s date. I miss doing things like that with my dad. He’s 2200 miles away.
Jasmine @ Eat Move Write recently posted..Six Things

13 Sara (Miles and Manhattan) February 5, 2011 at 12:11 am

Amazing that you can enjoy spending time with your parents πŸ™‚ my parents fridge is four times the size of mine and i def get overwhelmed in there!! considering four thing usually live in my fridge !!
xox
s
Sara (Miles and Manhattan) recently posted..chow-dah

14 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) February 5, 2011 at 12:24 am

I love that flavor of ice cream, but my family hates it! I want to buy it just so no one eats it… πŸ™‚
Kate (What Kate is Cooking) recently posted..Hello- February!

15 Michelle (The Runner's Plate) February 5, 2011 at 1:24 am

I love making wraps filled with a ton of veggies, but I can never get mine to roll up that nicely and look so pretty!
Michelle (The Runner’s Plate) recently posted..Food Trends

16 Gill (snaxandthecity) February 5, 2011 at 3:34 am

haha my parents fridge also weirds me out – i think its just cos there’s no staples and so many random ingredients. still, they also usually shop at posher places than me so there’s likely something new and exciting!
i need that ice cream in my life, stat!
Gill (snaxandthecity) recently posted..Accent Vlog- Aussie-Brit style

17 Little Bookworm February 5, 2011 at 7:00 am

Love the sound of that wrap – sounds like something I should try making! πŸ™‚
Little Bookworm recently posted..A Lovely Morning

18 Matt @ The Athlete's Plate February 5, 2011 at 7:11 am

I am always the same way at home! My parents eat the exact opposite of me and I always have trouble piecing together a meal!
Matt @ The Athlete’s Plate recently posted..Double Dip

19 Lauren February 5, 2011 at 7:36 am

I love doing dinner dates with my dad. I need to do these more often actually. Glad you enjoyed a good day with your parents.
Lauren recently posted..Insanity to the Max

20 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey February 5, 2011 at 8:16 am

My parents’ fridge wigs me out too!! My dad is obsessed with condiments and there is an entire shelf full of them. Things tend to get lost in there too, so you never know what you’re going to find!
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..happy irish woman

21 christina cadden February 5, 2011 at 8:25 am

Your lunch sounds good and I want some of that ice cream!

22 Ali @ Ali Runs February 5, 2011 at 9:15 am

I love spending time at my parent’s house. I am SO much more productive at their house because I can work on their big dining room table and spread all of my stuff out.
Ali @ Ali Runs recently posted..Cabela

23 Alaina @ The Jogging Concierge February 5, 2011 at 9:20 am

I hate it when oatmeal explodes. That’s why I cook for 1 minute, stir, then cook for another minute. πŸ™‚

That ice cream does look delicious. It’s been a while since I’ve had full fat ice cream. Does gelato count?
Alaina @ The Jogging Concierge recently posted..Saving Face

24 Grace February 5, 2011 at 9:46 am

I wish my boyfriend could whip up a healthy wrap like after surveying my fridge. But no such luck. If no one is around to make him something he settles for a bowl of cereal. I guess I can’t use the whole ‘he’s just a boy’ excuse anymore=)
Grace recently posted..LifeUnplugged

25 Kacy February 5, 2011 at 10:36 am

I have a hard time working from home too. I mean, I guess I could turn the TV off… but… why? πŸ˜‰
Kacy recently posted..A Healthy Habit Journey- Post 3 from the SIL

26 Lauren February 5, 2011 at 1:44 pm

It’s hard because you don’t know how long the food has been in their fridge too! Like I wouldn’t eat the black beans that are in my fridge right now, but I wouldn’t know not to eat them at my parents πŸ˜‰

I always want cake when I get to the end of your posts and see that ice cream!
Lauren recently posted..Catching Up

27 Ash Bear February 5, 2011 at 2:52 pm

SKI GEAR means that we’re hitting the slopes in less than one week!! πŸ™‚
Ash Bear recently posted..Check