Small Town Friends

by Meghann on February 4, 2011

I’m from a really small town.

The kind of town where everyone knows your name and you can’t go to the local Wal-Mart or Publix without running into someone you grew up up with or knew your parents back in the day (freaks Derek out every time).

So you can imagine my surprise when fellow blogger Ali informed me she was heading to her sister-in-law’s this weekend at that small town I grew up in.

Fun Fact: Ali’s brother-in-law works with my Mom. I told you it was small!

Small towns aren’t all bad. They have the perks of knowing you can make it from one side of town to another in less than 5 minutes without hitting traffic, you can forget to lock your car doors and not worry your entire radio system might be gone by the time you get back, and they have great local bakeries that have been around for generations and are guaranteed to never disappoint.

Hello, Sunrise Bakery. How I’ve missed you. πŸ˜‰

I drove to Titusville this morning to meet Ali for breakfast at my favorite bakery. Actually, seeing Ali was really just an excuse to have one of Sunrise’s Scones. I have dreams about these scones. They are just too good for words.

Except this visit I broke out of the norm and did something daring. Instead of just ordering my own scone, Ali and I decided to split the cinnamon one and order a Pumpkin Nut Muffin as well.

Can you believe in all my years of going to Sunrise I’ve never tried one of their Muffins before? I guess I’ve always been blinded by the scones!

Mm… Yep, the muffins are worth dreaming about as well. So sweet, so moist, and so delicious. It reminded me of their amazing Pumpkin Nut Bead, which I got a loaf to bring home as well.

Well, 1/2 a loaf. I’m great at sharing. πŸ™‚

IMG_6529.JPG IMG_6530.JPG IMG_6531.JPG

It was fun catching up with Ali. She couldn’t get over the fact that she was able to run in shorts and a tank top this morning or was wearing a dress in the February. I guess Boston weather is just a tad different than Florida weather right now. πŸ˜‰

Just for giggles here’s a video I’ve posted before that was dedicated to my lovely hometown.

It’s all true. But I wouldn’t of had it any other way. πŸ˜‰

1 Kara February 4, 2011 at 12:04 pm

If Daniel Tosh is from there, I think that makes it officially cool πŸ™‚

Now I need a muffin!
Kara recently posted..Interrupted Night

2 Ali @ Ali on the Run February 4, 2011 at 12:04 pm

I grew up in a small town, too: Contoocook, NH! No one can find it on a map, let alone spell it. Hehe. I graduated high school with 68 kids and everyone knows everyone (and all their business). We didn’t have a football team, we had to drive 30 minutes to get to the nearest grocery store and we definitely didn’t have any delivery food options. But I loved it, and wouldn’t change it for the world. Also, my parents’ house is next to a llama farm. Hehe.
Ali @ Ali on the Run recently posted..The Best Weekend Ever

3 Amy February 4, 2011 at 3:41 pm

Contoocook is beautiful though! The lake is amazing in the summer πŸ™‚

4 Errign February 4, 2011 at 6:05 pm

I live in NH – no one else ever lives in NH haha!
Errign recently posted..Day 09 &amp kombucha

5 Sara (Miles and Manhattan) February 4, 2011 at 12:06 pm

I graduated with 80 kids. About 20 of which were from other towns. I grew up in a SMALL TOWN!!!!!!!!!! πŸ™‚
xoxo
s

6 Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine February 4, 2011 at 12:07 pm

I want to be in Florida now tooooooo!! Haha I feel like all you Floridians are annoyed with me constantly saying that…but seriously, I belong in that weather.

My mom grew up in a teeny-tiny town. Her mother still keeps tabs on both her daughters’ ex boyfriends. That’s how small it is.

7 Allie February 4, 2011 at 12:11 pm

Small towns are really nice to grow up in, most of the time haha as long as ya get a chance to get away! Glad you were able to have a muffin πŸ™‚ Mmm!! Have a GREAT day!
Allie recently posted..Accent Vlog Fail –

8 Kiran February 4, 2011 at 12:11 pm

So cute! We also grew up in a small town in Malaysia. Great flashbacks of childhood πŸ™‚
Kiran recently posted..Simple Guacamole

9 Kristy @ KristyRuns February 4, 2011 at 12:14 pm

I did NOT grow up in a small town. There were almost 800 people in my high school graduating class…yeah. Seems nice though! I think it’d be fun to know everyone [and their business ;)].

That bakery looks amazing!!!
Kristy @ KristyRuns recently posted..Sweet Momma

10 Eliz@The Sweet Life February 4, 2011 at 12:16 pm

There is something about small towns that is incredibly precious and valuable. It’s a gift to experience life in one!!! Muffins look AMAZING.
Eliz@The Sweet Life recently posted..Love Languages- Whats Yours

11 Dori February 4, 2011 at 12:20 pm

No small town for me — my graduating class at high school had 1,099 students. I loved being anonymous!
Dori recently posted..I’m Quoted in the NY Times!

12 Derek February 4, 2011 at 1:27 pm

And now you live in NYC…..super anonymous.

13 Dori February 4, 2011 at 1:28 pm

I technically lived in NYC in high school too. Queens RePrEsEnT!

14 Bethany @ More Fruit Please February 4, 2011 at 12:23 pm

In the small town in Florida that I grew up in, my hairdresser knew my Economics teacher, my mom’s coworker dated my best friend’s older brother and forget trying to be inconspicuous in Walmart. It used to drive me crazy that I could never escape those small town relationships – everybody knew everybody else!
Bethany @ More Fruit Please recently posted..Pear Muffins

15 Biz February 4, 2011 at 12:23 pm

While my town wasn’t that small – I did go to school with the same set of kids from kindergarten all through high school. Whenever my husband and I go back to where I went to school, I always run into someone I know – it freaks him out too!

Not sure if you’ve been following my blog lately with all that you are up to, but my husband has colon cancer – good news is it hasn’t spread and he’s having surgery in 2 weeks – awesome news to start our weekend! (and he’s happy he’ll be able to enjoy Superbowl football food!)

Hugs!
Biz recently posted..Italian Pot Roast and shoveling is great exercise!

16 Meghann February 4, 2011 at 12:26 pm

I have been keeping up. So sorry Biz πŸ™

17 Courtney @ The Granola Chronicles February 4, 2011 at 12:30 pm

I’m from a super small town – no Wal-Marts or chain grocery stores!!
Courtney @ The Granola Chronicles recently posted..San Diego Preview

18 sana February 4, 2011 at 12:35 pm

Living in a town for almost twenty two years is the same!

19 Stacy @ Every Little Thing February 4, 2011 at 12:40 pm

My boyfriend grew up in a town that small. Everyone is connected to everyone else! I grew up in the suburbs where you pretty much just grunted and waved at your neighbor, and there’s a Walgreen’s, 7-11, and McDonald’s on every corner.
Stacy @ Every Little Thing recently posted..February Grocery Event- Produce

20 Carolyn @ Lovin' Losing February 4, 2011 at 12:41 pm

That’s so funny! 6 Degrees of Meghann Anderson! πŸ™‚
Carolyn @ Lovin’ Losing recently posted..PSA

21 Hope February 4, 2011 at 12:44 pm

I love hearing about small towns! I didn’t grow up living in a small town and still don’t live in a small town. To give you an idea how it is where I live, I graduated with over 1,000 people! So it’s impossible to see anyone you know where I live. πŸ™‚

So cool that you hung out with Ali! She seems so nice!
Hope recently posted..Catching Up On the Rest of My Weekend…

22 Kristine February 4, 2011 at 12:44 pm

How many kids did you graduate high school with??!
Kristine recently posted..Winter β€œWonderland”

23 Matt @ The Athlete's Plate February 4, 2011 at 12:47 pm

Looks like a delicious breakfast πŸ˜‰
Matt @ The Athlete’s Plate recently posted..Tropical Traditions Canadian Raw Honey Review and Giveaway

24 Hillary February 4, 2011 at 12:52 pm

If that is a small town then I grew up in a tiny town. No stores of any kind. No stoplights. No gas station(nearest one was 15 miles away). But we did have a tavern. Nearest mall, McDonalds, or sit down restaurant was 35 miles away. It took 3 other small towns to make up my school. Graduating class of 47 people largest one in 10 years!!

25 katie February 4, 2011 at 1:01 pm

Im from a small town too! The only thing that stinks about it is, everyone knows everyones business! lol! I do love it though and miss it there ; )
katie recently posted..Tuna Love Maker

26 SaraRM February 4, 2011 at 1:05 pm

I graduated from a small town in Texas, graduating class of 72 people, one stop light and it was the biggest deal when they finally opened a Sonic. Good times but definitely do not miss it.

27 Brittany C in TX February 4, 2011 at 1:40 pm

Sounds like the small town in Texas I grew up in!!! Except I had 156 people in my graduating class!

28 Courtney February 4, 2011 at 1:09 pm

Oh Titusville… it is a love/hate relationship. πŸ™‚

29 rebecca lustig February 4, 2011 at 1:11 pm

great, now i have “dont stop believin” stuck in my head! “just a small town girl….”

30 Liz February 4, 2011 at 1:19 pm

So jealous of your dress weather! How did your family end up in Titusville?
Liz recently posted..A Multitasking Workout

31 Emily @ Savory and Savage February 4, 2011 at 1:28 pm

Small towns are great. I grew up in a town where me and my siblings were known as, “Oh, you are Dr. (…..) daughter/son!” lol, it was a great way to grow up.
Emily @ Savory and Savage recently posted..Requests and the green one

32 Laura February 4, 2011 at 1:34 pm

Ha! I love that video about T-ville. I also LOVE Sunrise Bakery. I live for their huge snickerdoodle cookies. I’ve never had the scones though.

33 Kacy February 4, 2011 at 1:35 pm

The town I grew up in was so small we didn’t even have a Wal-mart or a supermarket! I know the feeling of everyone knowing you for sure.

That muffin looks terrific!
Kacy recently posted..A Healthy Habit Journey- Post 3 from the SIL

34 Natalie @ Will Jog For Food February 4, 2011 at 1:38 pm

I’m a native Floridian and have never been to Titusville… now I’ll need to go just to get that bread πŸ˜‰

35 Brittany C in TX February 4, 2011 at 1:44 pm

Love the video (I’m sure the Titusville Chamber of Commerce does too!)…but like someone said if your town is considered small then my hometown is TINY!!!

For my small town, the big thing for us was when we got a Subway, Sonic, and Domino’s!!! There’s ONE, yep I said one, stoplight on the way out of town! Most of the people live outside the city limits in the country! Try explaining to the people you work with in the “big city” that you grew up on 5 acres but don’t have a farm, have to drive 20 minutes to the movie theater, mall or Wal-Mart!!! BTW our movie theater is in the mall too!!!

36 Amanda @ Eating Up February 4, 2011 at 1:52 pm

I LOVE the bakeries in small towns. The coffeehouses too!
Amanda @ Eating Up recently posted..A Brewing Question for You

37 Amanda @ Eating Up February 4, 2011 at 1:52 pm

I LOVE the bakeries in small towns. The coffeehouses too!
Amanda @ Eating Up recently posted..A Brewing Question for You

38 Lindsey February 4, 2011 at 2:22 pm

What a funny video…. While I didn’t grow up in a small town, I went to school with the same kids from pre-K- 9th grade when I moved away. Now that I’m back home, I inevitably see someone from school atleast once a week
Lindsey recently posted..adding to our home

39 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat February 4, 2011 at 2:32 pm

Hahaha that video is great!! The scones look delicious.. just walking into a bakery and smelling ‘the bakery smell’ is enough to put me in heaven!
Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat recently posted..Befriending the Treadmill

40 Jen February 4, 2011 at 2:38 pm

I love small towns! So jealous of warmer than 0 degree temperatures!
Jen recently posted..Happy 3rd Birthday Aiden!

41 emily February 4, 2011 at 2:44 pm

I grew up on an island that technically had a pretty big population, but my high school was basically like a small town; I graduated in class of 38!
emily recently posted..The Van McCoy

42 Caitlin T February 4, 2011 at 2:48 pm

I love that you are from Titusville because my last name is Titus!!! Ahh. I envy the weather you are having! Today was a high of 23 degrees and let me tell you it felt like a heat wave! As compared to the -26 we had this past week! Enjoy the sun!
Caitlin T recently posted..Yup- I’m THAT GIRL…

43 Gill (snaxandthecity) February 4, 2011 at 2:51 pm

woah, serious muffin jealousy here right now!!
Gill (snaxandthecity) recently posted..Accent Vlog- Aussie-Brit style

44 Jennie @ Designed to be Fit February 4, 2011 at 3:13 pm

haha I’m not to far from Titusville (Satellite Beach) and I moved here from a big town. It has been quite the adjustment but to be honest, I love it more!
Jennie @ Designed to be Fit recently posted..Mini Goal…Tuesday

45 Amanda (tomboy that wears makeup) February 4, 2011 at 3:43 pm

My boyfriend and I MIGHT be moving to Florida- from way up North- to way down South! Great video. I want to move!!

46 Alaina February 4, 2011 at 4:08 pm

I love my “Little Town of Mendon!” (if you were from MA and watched the Phantom Gourmet, you would know πŸ˜‰ )

Looks like a wonderful afternoon with Ali! So jealous of the running in tee’s and shorts.
Alaina recently posted..Saving Face

47 Ashley February 4, 2011 at 4:29 pm

I’ve lived in small towns but I wasn’t fom there so I was out of the loop of knowing everyone πŸ™ Pumpkin bread sounds wonderful right now.

48 Tracy @ Commit To Fit February 4, 2011 at 4:33 pm

I grew up (and still live) in a fairly big city and I always thought that there was something so lovely about living in a small town, so warm and welcoming πŸ™‚
Tracy @ Commit To Fit recently posted..Vegan for a Week Challenge

49 Queen of Fitness February 4, 2011 at 4:59 pm

this is funny…just stumbled upon your blog today from emily eats clean and your video made me laugh hysterically. do you know that there is also a titusville PA????!!!! …where oil was first discovered by colonel edwin drake and the oil industry was born. i have the wonderful pleasure of living 24 miles away from it and my husband graduated from titusville high school here in PA. ar0und these parts we call titusville, t-vegas. sadly our titusville looks pretty much like yours.

50 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) February 4, 2011 at 5:44 pm

Is it weird that I really want to live in a small town? I think it would be so cool to grow up in one! Maybe I just used to watch too much Gilmore Girls πŸ™‚
Kate (What Kate is Cooking) recently posted..Hello- February!

51 Emily February 4, 2011 at 7:16 pm

Pretty sure the town I grew up in is smaller than Titusville–we have one stoplight, no malls, and no McDonalds (just a Subway and a little ice cream stand)…there were 200 kids in my entire high school. It was pretty good place to grow up, but I’m glad I don’t live there now!
Emily recently posted..Three work stories

52 Bridget C. Rudd February 4, 2011 at 10:19 pm

I’m from Medicine Bow, Wyoming. Now, I think it has about 200 people. However, the Jr/Sr high school was closed when I was 14, due to really low enrollment/low funding. If I had graduated there, my class would have had 10 people. The town I went to for school afterward was 18 miles away, and my graduating class had 13 people. Biggest class since 1970! My hometown has a convenience store, but no grocery store. Everyone knew everything about my family, and it drove me crazy.

The lack of crime was a great aspect of living in a small town. However, it was 8-9 months of cold weather, and the nearest hospital and grocery store was 60 miles away. No way do I miss that way of life……..

Visited family in Titusville this winter break. Love Sunrise AND also love Dixie Crossroads (hehe). πŸ™‚

53 Raya February 4, 2011 at 11:00 pm

Haha, someone made a video like that about the town I grew up in as well. It’s literally 2 minutes long and (unedited) that’s how long it takes to get thru the whole town.

54 Ali @ Ali Runs February 5, 2011 at 9:45 am

I love small towns! I am from one too and I don’t live there now, but would love to move back someday when I’m ready to have a family (read: years down the road!).
Ali @ Ali Runs recently posted..Cabela

55 Brittney February 5, 2011 at 10:28 am

I grew up in a small town in NH. I went to private school for high school, but if I’d gone to the local public school, I would have had 40 people in my class!
Brittney recently posted..Short Visits

56 RunningOnCoffee February 5, 2011 at 3:02 pm

I grew up in a town that has been growing like crazy, ever since we moved there, yet it still has a small town feel. I graduated from HS with 600-some other students, yet you can’t run errands without running into someone you know. Even though the town has grown so much more since moving away 6 years ago, I still run into people I know when I go back to visit.
RunningOnCoffee recently posted..Wednesday &amp Thursday