Time to start raiding the freezer

by Meghann on February 2, 2011

It looks like the comments from the Accent Vlog are all over the place. Some people say I have a southern accent, others say I sound completely normal. I appreciate everyone who also have no idea what a Florida accent is. It always throws me off when people say I have one.

However, I do agree that different parts of Florida have various accents. A few people I went to high school with (but lived out in the country outside of city limits) had a definite southern twang to their voice and Miami tends to have a specific ‘Miami accent’ which tends to be heavily spanish influenced. Being from classic suburbia, I escaped both of those characteristics. I think.

If you’re another blogger who has done an accent vlog could you please reply to Stephanie’s comment? She’s studying to be a linguist and would love to turn this venture into a project!

Love all the colors from my lunch. πŸ™‚

I’m just shy of a month away from moving, so my goal the next few weeks will be to eat down my fridge, freezer, and pantry. Considering I am the queen of frozen left overs and stocking up on BOGO free items at Publix – this is going to be an interesting challenge.

Right now my freezer is full of frozen soup, a few frozen meals, and various frozen burger patties. Or – in today’s case – Morning Star Black Bean Burgers.

This came from an unopened box in the freezer. I’m not ever sure why i buy them. It’s one of those ‘these will be nice when I’m looking for a quick & easy meal’ purchases, but I’m rarely ever in the mentality. Usually if I’m looking for a quick and easy meal I’ll reheat one of the many frozen soups in the freezer. (Also, I’m not allowed to make anymore soup until I move. I’m fully stocked on what I already have. πŸ™ )

The burger was completed with a toasted bagel (another BOGO purchase), ketchup, and spinach (err… another BOGO).

On the side I had left over roasted veggies and the last of a bottle of ketchup.

And a pickle.

Question: The ketchup is all gone. Should I buy another bottle for the next month or try to go without it and be a little more creative with my condiment selection until I move? I’m sure mixing BBQ sauce with mustard is almost the same, right? πŸ˜‰

1 Kara February 2, 2011 at 1:53 pm

I’d just buy some ketchup or steal some little packets from McDonald’s. Nothing is the same and you wouldn’t want to suffer, right? πŸ™‚
Kara recently posted..The dog of my dreams

2 Michele February 2, 2011 at 1:54 pm

No need for ketchup; time to get creative in the condiment selection. πŸ˜€

3 Miranda February 2, 2011 at 1:55 pm

Nothing is like ketchup. Buy a smaller bottle.

4 Stacy @ Every Little Thing February 2, 2011 at 1:55 pm

I’d just buy a small container of ketchup. I’m sure you’ll use most within the month!
Stacy @ Every Little Thing recently posted..February Grocery Event- Produce

5 Gill (snaxandthecity) February 2, 2011 at 1:55 pm

if you mix tomato paste and some sort of sweetener, it tastes very similar! that’s if you have tomato paste to eat up in the cupboard!? Or, you could just buy a new bottle and make it another goal to have ketchup with every meal πŸ˜‰
Gill (snaxandthecity) recently posted..Just eats

6 Sara (Miles and Manhattan) February 2, 2011 at 1:56 pm

Working on cleaning out our freezer, chinese delivery just always sounds better than what i have frozen… πŸ™‚
xoxo
s
Sara (Miles and Manhattan) recently posted..chow-dah

7 Kaitlin February 2, 2011 at 1:59 pm

Yum! Looks like a great lunch. I brought soup to work today and it spilled all over my lunchbox πŸ™

I vote for creative condiments! It’s always fun to stretch your food habits πŸ™‚
Kaitlin recently posted..Tales from the blizzard zone

8 Katy (The Singing Runner) February 2, 2011 at 2:00 pm

Buy a smaller container of ketchup. You can never go wrong with the stuff. πŸ˜‰

P.S- I loved your accent video. I was finally able to watch it, and like you, I grew up in Florida (Gainesville).

9 lauren February 2, 2011 at 2:02 pm

Get creative!!! πŸ™‚
lauren recently posted..Winter-Spring-Winter

10 Hope February 2, 2011 at 2:03 pm

Your lunch looks so good! I really want to try Morningstar Farm’s Black Bean Burgers. They look so good! I think I’m going to have to pick that up the next time I see it on sale. Plus, how could you go wrong with roasted veggies? So yummy!

I’d buy a small bottle of ketchup. There is no reason you can’t bring it with you if you still have any left. πŸ™‚
Hope recently posted..Catching Up On the Rest of My Weekend…

11 Jena February 2, 2011 at 2:06 pm

Get creative until its BOGO @ publix! Mustard is BOGO right now, so maybe Ketchup tomorrow (which is when their sales start).. It’s Superbowl weekend so it might be one of the “key” items they put on their BOGO. (I’m a publix BOBO hor)
Jena recently posted..Say What

12 Gavi @ GaviGetsGoing! February 2, 2011 at 2:13 pm

It’s not the most environmentally friendly, but you could just grab a bunch of mini ketchup packets from a restaurant and use those for the next month!
Gavi @ GaviGetsGoing! recently posted..San Francisco days- San Francisco nights

13 RunningOnCoffee February 2, 2011 at 7:40 pm

Mini packets would be my suggestion too! I don’t own any ketchup. I mostly cut it out because of its high sodium. The only time we use ketchup is occasionally when we eat out. I use it with french fries or if we go out for breakfast and I get something eggy with home fries.

Otherwise, I say hold off and use up all your other condiments!

14 Carla @ Will Run for Health February 2, 2011 at 2:14 pm

Sandwiches on bagels are where it’s at! I love them!!

15 Emily February 2, 2011 at 2:16 pm

You could totally just use BBQ sauce – but then again, ketchup travels well. πŸ™‚

16 Paula February 2, 2011 at 2:20 pm

I could not live without ketchup. Buy a small bottle.

17 Alaina February 2, 2011 at 2:22 pm

I would wait. Less stuff to move. If worse comes to worse, snag some little samples from restaurants. πŸ˜‰ haha
Alaina recently posted..Saving Face

18 Kjirsten- Balanced Healthy Life February 2, 2011 at 2:24 pm

The colors of your lunch do look awesome! I might have to jump on the accent vlog bandwagon!
Kjirsten- Balanced Healthy Life recently posted..Weekend Eats and Monday Morning

19 allison @ thesundayflog February 2, 2011 at 2:25 pm

i have way too many items in my freezer as well! and i really want to do an accent vlog tonight! maybe ill give it a whirl. everyone says we have a “philly” accent, whatever that is. my boyfriend is from tampa, and speaks completely normally, but his mom is from outside of orland and has thee most SOUTHERN accent ever.

20 Eliz@The Sweet Life February 2, 2011 at 2:25 pm

Funny how we all define accents differently. The British think we have accents, etc…but we all are really just different!
Eliz@The Sweet Life recently posted..Called to Serve

21 Jordan P February 2, 2011 at 2:26 pm

I’d definitely snag a batch from some takeout place. might I suggest the foodcourt at your local mall?

22 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday February 2, 2011 at 2:27 pm

Get creative. Having to pack food can be a bitch.

23 D February 2, 2011 at 2:30 pm

No don’t buy it – go without! Seriously it’s just ONE condiment, and if you have others then you should definitely use them up. And realistically, even if you don’t have any condiments, you will survive for a month. Your goal, if you’re trying to use up as much as possible, should be to ONLY buy necessities. It will make you appreciate grocery shopping more the next time you go. I’m on a grad student budget and while I don’t deprive myself of groceries, I certainly pay VERY close attention to what I buy and what I actually use and need. I rarely have anything in the freezer for more than 1-2 weeks because otherwise it’s just a waste of money sitting in there! So you might discover other condiments you have sitting around and not only will that make you be more creative, but if you realise you’ve had something sitting around forever that you don’t use (because you’d rather be using ketchup!) then it will remind you to be more conscious at the grocery store next time! Win win πŸ™‚

24 Stacey (The Habit of Healthy) February 2, 2011 at 2:31 pm

Loving the colourful lunch. You could always buy a small bottle of ketchup for the month.

25 Ashley February 2, 2011 at 2:32 pm

Buy a little bottle that way it’ll be gone by the time you move.

26 C. February 2, 2011 at 2:35 pm

get creative!!!

what is bogo??
Never heard of that in SoCal!
C. recently posted..Wordless Wednesday

27 Emily G. February 2, 2011 at 3:33 pm

Buy One Get One! Best ever!!

28 C. February 2, 2011 at 3:57 pm

haha– oh duh!
I thought it was a Florida thing or something.

blonde moment.
C. recently posted..Wordless Wednesday

29 Kelly February 2, 2011 at 2:35 pm

I would totally buy ketchup. But I use it for almost everything.
Kelly recently posted..Hello

30 Matt @ The Athlete's Plate February 2, 2011 at 2:46 pm

I’m sure you can go through a bottle in a month πŸ˜‰

31 Jessica @ The Process of Healing February 2, 2011 at 2:47 pm

I can’t go without ketchup.. but that’s just me. Maybe a small bottle?
And I LOVE your accent vlog! I’m from SC and I can tell yours is more Floridian.. still southern but with a definite florida spin.
Jessica @ The Process of Healing recently posted..It’s Been a While

32 Lauren February 2, 2011 at 2:59 pm

snack a few packets of ketchup every time you go to whole foods — i keep 5-8 on hand (don’t tell anyone ;)) and they do the trick!

33 Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) February 2, 2011 at 3:03 pm

Florida accent. That’s the same as a Cali accent. Or shall i say just how it’s not really that noticeable, but it’s more of a dialect rather than an ‘accent’ if that makes sense. People tell me that about my CA ‘accent’ (by way of the midwest) so who knows!
Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) recently posted..Trader Joe’s Peanut Flour Discontinued

34 Jo February 2, 2011 at 3:11 pm

Go without! If you have BBQ sauce, that would be a great substitute!
Jo recently posted..Running

35 Lish February 2, 2011 at 3:17 pm

I go through ketchup like crazy so I don’t know if I could do it. Hmmm. I say if you have enough other condiments to make it work, then go for it! It’ll be a fun experiment to see what combos you really like or don’t like.

36 Caitlin February 2, 2011 at 3:21 pm

Nothing beats ketchup, so I say buy a small bottle!

37 JessicaEn February 2, 2011 at 3:27 pm

ketchup is my FAVORITE condiment so I definitely say BUY ONE! πŸ˜€ A nice small bottle. Plus, ketchup has vinegar in it, so even if you cannot keep it constantly refrigerated it should be fine πŸ™‚

38 Allison @ Runs A Latte February 2, 2011 at 3:33 pm

I’d get creative, although I am definitely more of a spicy mustard gal.
Allison @ Runs A Latte recently posted..New Design!

39 Lisa (bakebikeblog) February 2, 2011 at 3:40 pm

I am a huge fan of ketchup so I woudl definitley buy a new bottle! You can always take it with you??
Lisa (bakebikeblog) recently posted..A Jolly January

40 Laurie February 2, 2011 at 3:58 pm

I would buy the ketchup! I love ketchup! Oh, Meghann, I meant to comment also on your last post, that I think Maddie is so adorable! What a sweet little face! Thanks for including her in your video!

41 Kimberly February 2, 2011 at 4:24 pm

I LOVE ketchup! I think you should buy 2 bottles! πŸ™‚

42 Jess (Daly Authenticity) February 2, 2011 at 4:24 pm

Part of me wants to say “Be creative”, but another part of me loves ketchup too much to let you NOT enjoy it for a month. Oh the choices…
Jess (Daly Authenticity) recently posted..Sunday Musings

43 Amanda @ Cakes and Ale February 2, 2011 at 4:29 pm

Try using tomato paste as a condiment! It comes in small cans, so you can use it up pretty quickly. I love it for an intense tomato-y flavor and use it instead of ketchup all the time!
Amanda @ Cakes and Ale recently posted..Snow Day

44 Emily @ Savory and Savage February 2, 2011 at 4:44 pm

You could always stock up on those ketchup packets the next time you eat out at a sandwich place – it will make you feel like you are back in college πŸ™‚

An tahini works well as a condiment.
Emily @ Savory and Savage recently posted..A journey of a 1-000 miles

45 sarah (sarah learns) February 2, 2011 at 4:47 pm

i’m doing the same thing! the things i really have to eat down are my bulk grains – i’d love to be able to start fresh when i move, so i’m going to be eating lots and lots of grains in some interesting combos. πŸ™‚
sarah (sarah learns) recently posted..what i ate wednesday- part ii

46 Kacy February 2, 2011 at 4:49 pm

I had a very similar medley of roasted stuffs for lunch πŸ™‚
Kacy recently posted..A Healthy Habit Journey- Post 3 from the SIL

47 Lindsey February 2, 2011 at 4:50 pm

I would buy the ketchup πŸ™‚ also, I actually really like the MS black bean burgers!

48 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) February 2, 2011 at 5:23 pm

Maybe I’m not a huge ketchup fan, because I was going to say don’t buy another!

49 rebecca lustig February 2, 2011 at 5:38 pm

they make miniature heinz ketchups!! just sayin

50 Karen February 2, 2011 at 6:09 pm

Don’t buy more Ketchup. Use salsa instead. I mostly gave up Ketchup and am glad. There’s too much sugar in regular Ketchup.

51 Marla February 2, 2011 at 6:40 pm

Ketchup is filled with sugar (or glucose fructose in some of them!)
so I have been detoxing off it (and other things)this month.

I miss it cause it’s such a delish habit with my roast veggies etc but I am proud to be surviving.

I dare you to go without it for a month Meghann!! πŸ˜‰

52 Britney February 2, 2011 at 6:50 pm

I wouldn’t buy another ketchup – but then, I wouldn’t buy it in the first place. Besides, most anything you would use ketchup for you can do with mustard, right?
Britney recently posted..These are my confessions

53 Erica February 2, 2011 at 7:04 pm

I LOVE ketchup and fly through it….so I’d definitely buy more πŸ™‚ You can always get one of the tiny bottles? Such a pretty lunch! I’m so guilty of buying veg burgers and not eating them. And publix bogo? Gets me every week!
Erica recently posted..E- Buffalo Turkey Nachos &amp More Nut Butter Chili

54 Jenna February 2, 2011 at 7:20 pm

omg don’t deny yourself ketchup!! haha, it’s my favorite

good luck with your food challenge! πŸ™‚

55 Meredith February 2, 2011 at 8:02 pm

So right about the Miami accent! To the point that no one ever believed I was from there when they heard me speak!!! I think the perfect example of the Miami accent is that girl Evie on power 96.5 radio there. She has the Miami accent to a T!
that meal looks so yummy btw πŸ™‚ i might have to go eat a pickle!
Meredith recently posted..Field Trip

56 Meredith February 2, 2011 at 8:07 pm

and by Evie I mean Lucy Lopez lol. I’m bad at names sometimes. http://www.power96.com/index.php?page=227&sid=tondb063aj92a749kr3av289ni1rjo1c
Meredith recently posted..Field Trip

57 Tricia February 2, 2011 at 8:30 pm

There’s no way I could go a whole month without ketchup! Maybe get a small bottle?

58 ezzie February 2, 2011 at 9:07 pm

Loved the accent vlog~!
I’ve actually never really been a big fan of ketchup (shocking, I know :P), but I can easily go through a bottle of mustard! I think BBQ sauce with mustard is a great idea!
ezzie recently posted..Oatmeal Ddeok

59 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey February 2, 2011 at 9:50 pm

I say you need more ketchup. I go through a bottle a week (no joke) so I think you would be able to use a bottle in one month.
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..happy irish woman

60 Matt February 2, 2011 at 10:43 pm

The Florida accent to me is like a California attitude, with a little Southern twang… and you’ve got it!