The Meals and Miles Accent

by Meghann on February 2, 2011

I jumped on the Accent Vlog Bandwagon.

What do you think? Do I sound southern to you? Do you hear a Floridian accent? If you’ve never seen me on video before – was that what you were expecting me to sound like?

Just curious. πŸ˜‰

Speaking of videos…

I had a lovely surprise when I logged on to IzonOrlando this morning!

Screen shot 2011-02-02 at 9.45.41 AM.png

Look! My show is premiering next Tuesday, February 8th (my birthday!) at 3:00pm!

The show is 100% pre-recorded (though I’m liking the idea of doing some sort of live Q&A someday) and will be available to watch after it’s premiere time slot (by going here). So, if you’re busy next Tuesday at 3:00 and are unable to watch it, you can some back and watch it later that evening if need be. No pressure.

My friend Bess’ show for Central Florida Top 5 premieres TODAY at 3:00!

Screen shot 2011-02-02 at 9.48.09 AM.png

I can’t wait to watch! πŸ™‚

This morning I completed Level Two of the Sx Week Six Pack Challenge (only more week to go!) and made plans to attend Dance Trance later this evening. (They had a special deal up earlier this week – one month of classes for $24! Score!)

Breakfast was a bowl of pumpkin-y cereal.

I combined 1/2 cup each of Flax Flakes, Cinnamon Cheerios, and Kashi Go Lean Crisp with a pumpkin mix of canned pumpkin, pumpkin butter, and peanut butter (my new favorite combo).

Finished off with an apple and a coating of cinnamon.

You have to love pumpkin to love this combo. Good thing I love pumpkin. πŸ˜‰

1 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday February 2, 2011 at 10:04 am

You definitely sound Southern!

2 Ali @ Ali Runs February 2, 2011 at 10:10 am

After watching all of your other videos I never thought you had a Florida accent until hearing you say specific words πŸ™‚
Ali @ Ali Runs recently posted..Let’s Talk About Friends

3 Rachel February 2, 2011 at 10:13 am

I don’t think you sound southern at all. I have never heard of a “Florida” accent. You sound normal to me!

4 Allison @ PickyEatingRD February 2, 2011 at 10:15 am

Southern for sure!!! I didn’t even realize that those who lived in Florida had a southerny accent until your vlog!
Allison @ PickyEatingRD recently posted..snOMG We Have A White Out! Time To Online Shop!

5 Jess (Daly Authenticity) February 2, 2011 at 10:15 am

Awe, Maddie is SO cute in the video. I love the end! You sound almost EXACTLY how I expected you to sound. Peppy and upbeat! Love it!
Jess (Daly Authenticity) recently posted..Sunday Musings

6 Jessica February 2, 2011 at 10:16 am

You are the cutest thing! I think people from small towns in Florida sound more southern than from big towns… or cities I guess they would be called lol. I think you sound normal but I’m from Florida too πŸ™‚

P.S. I COMPLETELY agree with you about y’all… I use it whenever I can, it’s such a fun word!

7 Dori February 2, 2011 at 10:17 am

The first time I heard your voice was in your San Diego Marathon video and it was nothing like I imagined it would be. Your voice is really sweet! I love it. It actually made me like you more. Then I met you and realized I don’t like you at all.
Dori recently posted..I’m Quoted in the NY Times!

8 Mia February 2, 2011 at 8:34 pm

??? this is such a odd (possibly very rude) comment.

9 Dori February 2, 2011 at 8:37 pm

Sorry, guess humor doesn’t come across on the internet. Meghann knows I love her.
Dori recently posted..I’m Quoted in the NY Times!

10 laura February 2, 2011 at 10:20 am

I am from Memphis and I refer to everything with the same words you do, except ya’ll πŸ™‚ I say you all or you guys…

Also, were they looking for daddy long leg? when they were asking the spider question?

11 J February 2, 2011 at 10:21 am

You have such a cute voice! Just a little bit Southern on certain words. And I love Maddie in this video, so cute. PS, when I was in high school I named our family dog Maddie- best doggie name everrrrr πŸ™‚
J recently posted..Once upon a time- in the faraway land of Maryland

12 Renee February 2, 2011 at 10:21 am

I agree with Rachel- I think you sound normal , if thats a thing. I dont hear the southern-ness… and I’m not sure what a florida accent is… lol.. πŸ™‚ But it was a fun video πŸ™‚ woo hoo!

13 Amanda February 2, 2011 at 10:24 am

I don’t think you sound southern at all and I’m not really sure what a Florida accent is. You are the first person I’ve seen do one of these things that says the word coupon the same as me. I get made fun of for that one a lot.

14 Eliz@The Sweet Life February 2, 2011 at 10:27 am

congrats!!!! so exciting to see so much happening for you.
Eliz@The Sweet Life recently posted..Called to Serve

15 Whitney February 2, 2011 at 10:28 am

You sound normal to me! (but I’m a native Floridian too haha – maybe I have an accent?)

All your answers were the same as mine – except the last one. I call the remote control a “clicker.” Is that weird? lol

16 Errign February 2, 2011 at 1:42 pm

I used to call them that too!
Errign recently posted..Day 06- thirty facts

17 Trish February 2, 2011 at 10:31 am

I moved to Florida from Boston and I do think people here have an accent. But I don’t think you have one – you sound normal. The only thing is you called “aunt” an “ant” – that’s the big thing I noticed.

18 Natalie @ Will Jog For Food February 2, 2011 at 10:33 am

Can’t wait to here more about your show! It sounds SO exciting πŸ™‚
Natalie @ Will Jog For Food recently posted..The Cheesy Family

19 Caroline February 2, 2011 at 10:35 am

I’m beginning to think “sunshower” is a Florida thing. You and Caitlin both used it, but I hadn’t ever heard it before. I’m enjoying these! I’m glad you did it!

20 Pam February 2, 2011 at 10:07 pm

I’m from Canada and say sun shower – common up here!

21 Laurie February 2, 2011 at 10:36 am

I love your voice! You don’t sound southern to me! I live in Alabama and if you want to hear southern, you ought to hear some of the red necks that live here! lol!(I don’t mean to offend anyone that lives there πŸ™‚ . I don’t think I sound southern either, but people that are not from the south and they hear your voice, they automatically say you have an accent!

22 Kara February 2, 2011 at 10:37 am

If you have a southern accent, then I guess I do too since you sound the same as me! Maddie is just too cute, I love how she gets in the movie πŸ™‚
Kara recently posted..A workout ate my marriage

23 Julie @ Wearing Mascara February 2, 2011 at 10:40 am

You sound very normal to me πŸ™‚ It’s a Daddy Long Legs though! (the spider question) πŸ˜‰ Have a good day and congrats on your show – how perfect that it’s on your birthday?!
Julie @ Wearing Mascara recently posted..Garlic Gold WINNER

24 Callie February 2, 2011 at 10:41 am

I love that Maddie is totally stealing the show. Nothing really surprised me about your accent – but then again, I have met you in person! πŸ™‚
Callie recently posted..Workout Hiatus

25 Alaina February 2, 2011 at 10:43 am

I might have to try that. I’m from Boston but I don’t really have the accent. I do say “wicked” a lot though. πŸ™‚
Alaina recently posted..Saving Face

26 colleen February 2, 2011 at 10:44 am

bahahaah! i actually forgot to listen to your accent because i was so entertained by maddie. too funny! no, but seriously you don’t sound southern to me (ok, maybe minus the “ya’ll”)! it’s so fun watching these vlogs!

27 Ashley February 2, 2011 at 10:46 am

I don’t know what a florida accent sounds like, but you do sound southern.

28 Amber from Girl with the Red Hair February 2, 2011 at 10:47 am

Can you do a tutorial on how you make these cool videos?? Ha! Your videos are always awesome and I’m totally lost on HOW to make videos like that on my Mac!

Also, I don’t think you have a southern-type accent AT ALL! Also you’re the first American I’ve heard say “aunt” the same way I do (Canadian!) I say it like “ant” and every other American seems to really make the “u” sound in aunt.

29 Brenna [fabuleuxdestin] February 2, 2011 at 10:53 am

Southern!!! hehe
Brenna [fabuleuxdestin] recently posted..sunday strolls

30 SaraRM February 2, 2011 at 10:54 am

Ive never heard of a “florida accent” to know that it is different. I didnt hear anything that stood out real southern sounding but then again I am from Texas, where its shocking if you actually hear someone NOT say ya’ll. So you sounded normal to me πŸ™‚

31 sarah (sarah learns) February 2, 2011 at 10:54 am

hahaha, i love maddie! i liked your accent vlog – i don’t think you have a very distinct accent – you sounded pretty normal to me!
sarah (sarah learns) recently posted..what i ate wednesday- part ii

32 Cristina February 2, 2011 at 10:59 am

I’m so glad you say “car-mel” instead of “car-ah-mel”, that’s how I say it to and it drives me crazy the 3-syllable way! (I’m from SC). I also pronounce aunt as “ant”. You and Caitlin said “sunshower” exactly the same way, cute :p

33 Katy (The Singing Runner) February 2, 2011 at 11:05 am

I can’t watch the video right now (I don’t have headphones), but I will check it out later! πŸ˜€

Congrats on the show! I can’t wait to check it out!

34 G February 2, 2011 at 11:12 am

Grocery cart = buggy!
Remote control = beeper (Yes I realize it doesn’t beep…)
Caramel = Ca-ra-mel (3 syllables)
Pecan = PEE-can (the way you say it sounds so proper!)

I wish I had a blog so I could do this – I’m a bilingual French Canadian so it would be really neat to compare!
Also, you are incredibly cute! πŸ™‚

35 Christina February 2, 2011 at 11:24 am

I think you let your guard down a bit when you said y’all because that Florida accent just wizzed right on out!!! haha!! Don’t worry it’s not a bad thing, us northerners don’t take advantage of the word by far! I think I’m going to do my accent vlog tonight πŸ™‚
Christina recently posted..Youre never given more than you can handle

36 Lea @ Healthy Coconut February 2, 2011 at 11:28 am

I don’t hear an accent. But if you did a video voice over, you can pass for someone that has grown up in California πŸ™‚ You have a laid back and relax voice, not too rushed. Maybe a radio personality voice?

I don’t know what Florida accent is, I’ve been there a few times and I thought they sound they same as me. I’m from Cali.
Lea @ Healthy Coconut recently posted..Lets Talk Dresses

37 Kelly February 2, 2011 at 11:29 am

You don’t sound southern, like southern twang southern. I’d say the most southern thing is ya’ll.
Kelly recently posted..Hello

38 Lea @ Healthy Coconut February 2, 2011 at 11:29 am

“Sunshower” = Liquid Gold, meaning it is raining but the sun is out.

They used that term a lot in Hawaii and I picked up on it.
Lea @ Healthy Coconut recently posted..Lets Talk Dresses

39 Hope February 2, 2011 at 11:35 am

I love the idea of pumpkin cereal! It looks so good!!! Congrats on your show!!! πŸ™‚
Hope recently posted..Catching Up On the Rest of My Weekend…

40 Amanda @ JustAmandaJ February 2, 2011 at 11:48 am

I have no idea what a FL accent is either! All my relatives in TX have a Southern accent like woah and I don’t think anyone in FL sounds Southern when compared to that lol! When I met you at a blogger luncheon a couple years back I remember you sounded really really peppy, and you still do πŸ™‚ I don’t think you sound weird or have an accent, but I’m obviously from Central Fl too so maybe that’s why I don’t hear it?
Amanda @ JustAmandaJ recently posted..Restless

41 Megan February 2, 2011 at 11:48 am

I don’t know about a “Florida” accent, but I do think some words sound a bit southern.
I find it interesting the way people from other parts of the country pronounce certain words, like orange. Here in the northeast, we say it like “are-ange”.
Maddie is adorable!! What a personality!

42 Matt @ The Athlete's Plate February 2, 2011 at 11:50 am

You sound just like I thought you would πŸ˜‰
Matt @ The Athlete’s Plate recently posted..Honey and Cinnamon Roasted Sweet Potatoes

43 Jill E. February 2, 2011 at 11:51 am

you have a super sweet voice more or less what i expected because you seem like a sweet person. as far as the florida accent goes, i live in south florida, delray, for about two years and i have to say there are quite a few “flordian” accents. one the state is huge being from ct i am still getting used to this but in south florida especially kids who grew up here its a weird mix if boston/new york with a toned down southern twang.

44 Tricia February 2, 2011 at 12:12 pm

You SO have a Florida accent… the last word, was that “caught?” Sounded like “cot” to me. Although I know I definitely have an accent being from Philly, so I can’t hate!

45 Kathleen @ Kat's Health Corner February 2, 2011 at 12:36 pm

Hehe, love your triple pumpkin combo! πŸ™‚

46 Jamie @ A Healthy J.D. February 2, 2011 at 12:40 pm

I’ve always been told I have a void of an accent because I am from Florida. I’m pretty sure there isn’t a particular Florida accent because of how diverse the state is. There is definitely a Miami accent though, growing up in south Florida I can distinguish it. People from Jacksonville tend to sound like they are from Georgia and people from Pensacola/Destin/Ft. Walton tend to sound like they are from Alabama. I have some friends from central Florida who have slightly southern accents and I’d say you do too. I think your accent is cute πŸ™‚
Jamie @ A Healthy J.D. recently posted..Accent Vlog!

47 Allie February 2, 2011 at 12:41 pm

Your accent is cute πŸ™‚ It sounds southern to me! I live in Pittsburgh and for shopping cart everyone says “buggy” so weird !
Allie recently posted..Need help!

48 Laura February 2, 2011 at 1:07 pm

YES! you have an accent that is unique to florida! I love it. I say so because one of my past roommates is from Florida and when you started talking you talk just like her! I have friends from the south as well but their accent is different than a florida accent.

49 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey February 2, 2011 at 1:13 pm

I don’t think FLoridians have accents – you sound like people sound on the TV (me too!) so I think that’s normal.
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..happy irish woman

50 Heather February 2, 2011 at 1:17 pm

The coke thing is def not a FL thing. I grew up in NOLA and have also lived in MS and we do/say the same thing! everything is coke!
I don’t think you sound that southern, maybe a little, but def not “country!”
Heather recently posted..A Day in the Life of…

51 kimmy February 2, 2011 at 1:18 pm

They way you talk kind of reminds me of Drew Barrymore. Its adorable!

52 ariel February 2, 2011 at 1:19 pm

I could not tell you in a million years what a Florida accent sounds like.

I would also like to say that I’m from Baltimore, MD and I say “ya’ll” or “who’s guys”. haha.

53 Maria February 2, 2011 at 1:29 pm

HAha, I don’t think you sound southern at all, but then again I am from Georgia-where southern accents are very thick!

You and Maddie are so cute!

54 Stephanie Clement February 2, 2011 at 1:43 pm

Hey Meghann!!

So, I am actually studying to be a linguist (the best major ever, by the way)! Anyways, as far as “accents” go, nobody has one because its a completely relative term. It’s akin to saying that my 4ft tall brother is short, but he happens to be the tallest for his age. The media of the US recognizes the most “neutral accent” to be that of the Pennsylvania region- or more simply, the Midwest and that is probably what people are comparing you to when they say you have a Floridian accent.

Often times there is very very little that is distinguishable between different “dialects”, and differences manifest themselves in one of two ways (generally): 1. Vowels; they’re the only thing that actually sound different (99% of the time…the exception in the US is most prominently seen in African American Vernacular English, where sometimes there’s a ‘change’ from a /th/, say, to a /f/ [many other examples exist]). 2. Prosody, or the way one uses pace and intonational inflection throughout their speech, is also indicative of one’s regional dialect.

I’m actually VERY surprised that people have commented. I’m going to take a guess that they were from the west coast most of the time. Given the words you said, there were very few that people should hear a salient difference in. A couple that might be markers of estrange rationality would be ‘caramel, data, pecan,’. Your /a/ is the only thing that really might have (this is all in comparison to the ‘midwest’ way…which by the way is what ABC, NBC, CBS anchors all generally speak). Every other word included in the list can be used as markers of other rationality. So, ‘route’ is generally pronounced ‘root’ in certain places, ‘Alabama’, ‘New Orleans’ can be markers indicative to the South.

Soo what I hope I conveyed was that NO! you definitely don’t sound ‘weird’. In fact you have an ‘accent’ very very similar to that which is recognized to be the most neutral. Is this a thing a lot of bloggers are doing?! I’d love to know if the bloggers are doing this across the country!! (It would make for a wonderful project :P)

Have a great day!! πŸ™‚ Go Umass Linguistics!

55 Jess February 2, 2011 at 1:50 pm

Hey Stephanie, I did this too on my blog because I got some comments saying I had an “east coast” accent. I’m actually from PA originally, so I don’t think I have an accent, but lots of people tell me I do!

Feel free to check my video out and use it for whatever project you need!
Jess recently posted..Barefoot Running and the Accent Vlog

56 Melissa @ Running with Needles February 2, 2011 at 1:51 pm

I posted my “accent” video the other day on my blog. I actually am from the Midwest (Chicago) and agree that most news anchors speak the way I do – no accent!
Melissa @ Running with Needles recently posted..Words on Pages

57 Meghann February 2, 2011 at 1:51 pm

Wow! Thanks for all the info! I just tweeted this and posted about it, so I can hopefully get you a round up of accent bloggers!

58 mindy @ just a one girl revolution. February 2, 2011 at 1:52 pm

I did it! πŸ™‚
mindy @ just a one girl revolution. recently posted..unprepared

59 Briana February 2, 2011 at 1:55 pm

I wrote an accent vlog post! Check it out at http://wp.me/p10ADj-8o πŸ™‚
Briana recently posted..Happy Groundhog- Snow Day!

60 Lee February 2, 2011 at 1:57 pm
61 Sarah @ The Strength of Faith February 2, 2011 at 1:58 pm

Hi Stephanie! I did one here – http://www.thestrengthoffaith.com/2011/01/dads-mac-n-cheese-casserole-accent-vlog.html – my husband and I both did it and we talked about where we grew up, lived, etc. Good luck!
Sarah @ The Strength of Faith recently posted..Brr

62 Katy (The Singing Runner) February 2, 2011 at 1:58 pm

I did the accent blog too. Like Meghann, I grew up in Florida (Gainesville- in the north central part of the state) and I now live in Jacksonville for school. If you would like to see my video, here is the URL.

Hope this helps! πŸ™‚

63 Morgan @ Becoming Rooks February 2, 2011 at 1:59 pm

Hi Stephanie!! Linguistics is so cool – that’s awesome that you are studying it! I often think I want to go back to school to be a linguist or an etymologist. My accent blog is here: http://www.becomingrooks.com/2011/02/accent-vlog.html I would love to see the results if you decide to do a project!
Morgan @ Becoming Rooks recently posted..Accent Vlog

64 Jena February 2, 2011 at 2:04 pm

Hi Stephanie, I also did an accent blog. I was also born and raised in Florida. You can check out my vlog @ http://lifeisbeachykeen.wordpress.com, it’s a few posts down πŸ™‚
Jena recently posted..Say What

65 Kelly February 2, 2011 at 2:10 pm

Hey Stephanie! Are you studying to be a linguist under anthropology or another discipline? Just curious! (I am an anthro masters student) πŸ™‚

66 Jessi February 2, 2011 at 2:05 pm

I’m from Arkansas and my husband and I just did our dialect vlog. http://www.jessimakesthings.com/2011/02/snow-day-dialect-vlog/
I found it interesting that I pronounced some words differently as I read them aloud then how I say them conversationally. I said “route” on the video because I read it that way, but in person I would pronounce it “root”

67 Kate February 2, 2011 at 2:12 pm

Hi Stephanie,

I am from Virginia and I did a video too. It’s on my blog at katesullivanblog.com.
Kate recently posted..The Way I Talk

68 Samantha @ Health, Happiness & Skinny Jeans February 2, 2011 at 2:20 pm

Hi Stephanie..I will be posting one tonight and I am from Canada so I don’t know how that might factor into your project but I’d love to help!

69 Ashley February 2, 2011 at 2:33 pm

Hey Stephanie, I also did an accent post. I’m from eastern north carolina. Here’s the link: http://feedingashley.blogspot.com/2011/02/accent-vlog.html

70 Beth @ Beth's Journey to Thin February 2, 2011 at 2:35 pm

Hey Stephanie! I did one – I’m from CT but have lived in DC for almost 10 years. I’ve never thought of myself as having an accent, but I do say some words strangely.
You can find it here: http://bethsjourney.com/2011/01/29/accent-vlog/
Beth @ Beth’s Journey to Thin recently posted..Mind Games and a No Bake Cookie Recipe

71 Alexa @ The Girl In Chucks February 2, 2011 at 2:44 pm

I did it…sorry about the computer drive whirring…

Alexa @ The Girl In Chucks recently posted..Toothy Issues

72 LauraJayne February 2, 2011 at 2:54 pm

Hey there! I did an accent vlog too – visit my blog laurajayne.me and it is the last post on the bottom today!
LauraJayne recently posted..Sugar Detox Day 9- The Ice Cream Monster

73 Katie @ Healthy Heddleston February 2, 2011 at 2:55 pm

Here’s another one!!
Katie @ Healthy Heddleston recently posted..Food is Fuel

74 Allie February 2, 2011 at 2:59 pm

I live in Pittsburgh and I’m posting my accent vlog tonight! http://www.allieksmith.wordpress.com
Allie recently posted..Need help!

75 Cynthia Crowsen February 2, 2011 at 3:12 pm

I did this on my blog too because I know my accent is unique from where I’ve lived.

You linguistics project sounds fantastic. I had to do this with Spanish Linguistics to help distinguish Castillian Spanish from Mexican, Honduran and others.

I’d love to see what you come up with. Go UMASS (My brother is a 2006 grad πŸ™‚ )
Cynthia Crowsen recently posted..Namaste Spice Cake–Giveaway

76 Jamie @ A Healthy J.D. February 2, 2011 at 3:23 pm

I did one too! http://ahealthyjd.com/accent-vlog/
Jamie @ A Healthy J.D. recently posted..Accent Vlog!

77 chandra February 2, 2011 at 7:42 pm

I did one as well! I was raised in Illinois and moved to Iowa in college – people there always told me I had an “Illinois accent” and said my a’s weird, but I disagree. πŸ™‚
chandra recently posted..Accent Vlog

78 Stephanie @ Living and Loving February 2, 2011 at 8:07 pm

Hi Stephanie (from another Stephanie πŸ™‚ )

I did an accent blog too!! Here you go: http://stephanie-livingandloving.blogspot.com/2011/01/saturday-fun.html

I’m originally from Atlanta, GA then St. Simons Island, GA and now Austin, Texas for the past 9 years. I’m all over the place! Wahoo!

79 Cate February 2, 2011 at 8:24 pm

Very interesting Stephanie!
I jumped in and decided to make a vlog myself to share!

It sounds like it would make a cool project. πŸ™‚ If you do the project I would be interested in hearing about what you learned from it.
Cate recently posted..Girls on the Run

80 Runeatrepeat February 3, 2011 at 4:02 am

Hi Stephanie,

Here is my accent vlog.

I am from California, but grew up in a very Hispanic area so that might have an affect on the way I speak πŸ™‚
Runeatrepeat recently posted..Wawful Wednesday

81 katy. February 3, 2011 at 11:27 am

I’ve one one as well!

I’m from Ft. Lauderdale, Florida.
katy. recently posted.. accent vlog to-may-to- to-mah-to

82 katy. February 3, 2011 at 11:27 am

*done one πŸ™‚
katy. recently posted.. accent vlog to-may-to- to-mah-to

83 Danielle February 4, 2011 at 10:40 pm

Hey Steph! I did the accent vlog too! I think I say things pretty normal, but then again I’m Canadian, so maybe I sound ridiculous to some of the other countries out there. I tried to avoid saying eh at all costs! πŸ˜‰

84 Kacy February 2, 2011 at 1:54 pm

I agree, y’all is a GREAT word!
Kacy recently posted..A Healthy Habit Journey- Post 3 from the SIL

85 Sarah February 2, 2011 at 2:08 pm

I love the word, “yall” too but I’m a Texan, everyone says it here.

86 Samantha @ Health, Happiness & Skinny Jeans February 2, 2011 at 2:18 pm

Roley Polley gets me everytime I hear it!! I have never heard that in my life until this!

87 Errign February 2, 2011 at 7:33 pm

Me either! I have never even heard of those bugs hahaha
Errign recently posted..Day 06- thirty facts

88 hippierunner February 2, 2011 at 2:18 pm

I am from Los Angeles and I think everyone talks like newscasters there so I don’t think I have an accent but I expected you to. But didn’t hear one at all! How funny.
hippierunner recently posted..Lazy but Delicious

89 Tori @ FIToriBLOG.com February 2, 2011 at 2:38 pm

remind us when your show is available to watch online! can’t wait! and sooooooo happy for you and proud of you!!!
Tori @ FIToriBLOG.com recently posted..Why I love…Pregnancy Part 2

90 Alexa @ The Girl In Chucks February 2, 2011 at 2:53 pm

The accent vlogs are so interesting!

I never thought I had much of an accent because I’m from California…I’ve got Hollywood on my side! πŸ˜‰

But I guess we all say things a little funky or different from the way others do.
Alexa @ The Girl In Chucks recently posted..Toothy Issues

91 Clare @ Fitting It All In February 2, 2011 at 2:55 pm

No accent at all!
And totally with you on the tennis shoes thing…I’m from St. Louis ,though, so wonder where it comes from!
Clare @ Fitting It All In recently posted..Monday Man-Day- The Art of the Male Text

92 Christin@purplebirdblog February 2, 2011 at 3:05 pm

I don’t think you sound southern at ALL!
Christin@purplebirdblog recently posted..Tofu Scramble

93 Kaitlin February 2, 2011 at 3:28 pm

I’m from Seattle and you sound normal to me, they way you pronounce all those words are exactly like I would, except coke for pop/soda. I also think you kind of talk like Drew Barrymore.

94 Shauna February 2, 2011 at 3:40 pm

Your voice is so cute! I’m from California and to me you sound sliiiightly Southern (maybe that’s what the Florida accent is? A touch of Southern?). I’ve also never heard of sunshowers and wonder if it’s a Florida thing.

95 Conni February 2, 2011 at 3:46 pm

OH MY GOSH YOU ARE SO ADORABLE! I mean, I thought you were adorable be for but after hearing you voice your adorable factor has been multiplied by ten thousand. I don’t think you have a “Floridian accent”, not that I know what that is. I’m from New Orleans and people always tell me I have a “New Orleans accent”, but I don’t know what that is either.
Conni recently posted..Good Day

96 Heather February 2, 2011 at 4:35 pm

I live in North Carolina and by comparison I would never know you lived in the south. Maybe a little Valley Girlish, but not Southern! And I don’t mean that as a rip. Your voice is bubbly and uplifting πŸ™‚

97 Caitlin (EatFeats) February 2, 2011 at 4:40 pm

I agree with everyone who has said that you have a cute/sweet voice!
Caitlin (EatFeats) recently posted..&lt3 Things I Love- Denicas

98 Laura February 2, 2011 at 5:06 pm

You have a really nice voice! But a VERY strong accent to me, lol. I actually just did this vlog yesterday too, for my livejournal (http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v498/wild_magelet/?action=view&current=Movieon2011-02-02at1555.mp4), but I haven’t really been able to watch mine back. I find listening to myself mortifying! πŸ™‚ I never sound like what I think I do. You, on the other hand, always look very natural on camera.

99 Laura February 2, 2011 at 5:08 pm

I’m a New Zealander, however, just to qualify on why you have such a strong accent to me! πŸ™‚ ANYONE from the States has a strong accent to me!

100 Brittney February 2, 2011 at 5:39 pm

You must have a Florida accent! I have a friend who moved here (here being SC) a few years back and y’all sound alike! Like nothing you say really sounds southern, but a few words actually sound kinda northern! That’s how she sounds to me too. And I agree, y’all is my word! I got my ex hooked on it (he’s from MD) πŸ˜› I always get picked on for having a reallyyy southern accent, even by my friends who also sound southern. Haha.

101 Billie February 2, 2011 at 5:45 pm

It cracks me up when American people say Route – In Britain it is pronounced Root. That spider thing we call a Daddy Long Legs. When the house gets covered in toilet paper we just call the police that is never done here at all. I lived in Washingotn DC for a while working as an anthropologist at the Smithsonian and coming from Liverpool I was teasted relentlessly about my accent. I love yours tho. Mine is like a jar or marbles dropping on a tin roof and yours is like chocolate melting in the sun. x
Billie recently posted..Tough week…

102 Jordan February 2, 2011 at 5:53 pm

I love the word ya’ll too!
Jordan recently posted..February Goals

103 Holly February 2, 2011 at 7:52 pm

Ok, we could be best friends. Those are all of my answers too…even down to the calling everything Coke. Texas and Florida are the same (oh, except we call those spiders Daddy Long Legs).

Thanks for all your great posts! They really inspire me.

Now, last question, I know you like y’all, but do you ever say “all y’all?”

Holly

104 Cate February 2, 2011 at 8:01 pm

I love watching the vlogs!
I can’t wait to see your webisode either. How cool that it premieres on your birthday! πŸ™‚
Cate recently posted..Girls on the Run

105 Lorin February 3, 2011 at 1:38 am

Your voice sounded higher than I thought it would be. It’s cool you have your own show, congrats!

106 Angela February 3, 2011 at 4:31 am

It’s so weird because you sound pretty normal to me…minus the y’all πŸ™‚ but I’m in Oregon and MUCH farther away from you than…let’s say Boston. But your accent is way different than Boston. So crazy.
Angela recently posted..Wild Goose Chase

107 Stephanie Clement February 3, 2011 at 8:06 am

WOW!!!! Thanks everyone for your responses! I am so so soo excited everyone is doing this. I am going to talk to a couple of my professors and see what I can work with!

You all have beautiful ways of speaking English πŸ™‚

Thanks again everyone and Meghann!!

108 Shayla February 3, 2011 at 12:21 pm

I’m from California and you sound normal to me – what does a Florida accent sound like? And I imagined your voice as it is – very bubbly and cute πŸ™‚

109 Noga February 3, 2011 at 1:06 pm

I can’t detect an accent, but I have to say that you sound very mature and composed for someone in their mid-20s. Young women today tend to raise the pitch of their voice at the end of a sentence, which makes everything that comes out of their mouth sound like a question. You don’t do that:-). (Sorry, that was a pet peeve of my public speaking professor in grad school, and I think she is right– it makes young women sound unsure of themselves. I have been working hard at keeping my voice as low as I can and steady when I speak).
Noga

110 Maryann February 3, 2011 at 1:28 pm

I did the accent vlog πŸ™‚ http://thebalancedbean.blogspot.com/
Maryann recently posted..Accent VLOG

111 Melissa-Shrinking Jeans February 4, 2011 at 8:11 pm

I love watching these vlogs. Plan on doing one tomorrow.

I think you sound more valley-girlish than southern. ;p I tend to sound like a valley girl, too, or so I’ve been told. HAH!
Melissa-Shrinking Jeans recently posted..come undone

112 Amy February 6, 2011 at 4:17 pm

I couldn’t think of how someone from Florida sounds at first, but the more I heard you the more I realized they sound like YOU! But it’s very normal sounding to me ~ not like those northerners who think they don’t have an accent! I’m from Texas & know I have a bit of an accent, but not like most Texans!! I definitely say y’all, though!