Barefoot Dancer

by Meghann on February 2, 2011

I’m notorious for forgetting to wear shoes. I think that’s a Florida thing (or maybe just a Meghann thing)?

Remember that time I accidentally drove to Universal barefoot? Well, I would love to say that was the first (it wasn’t) or the last time, but I think tonight proves that isn’t true either.

Those are runner’s feet and they’re amazing.

Ok, so I didn’t completely forget my shoes. Out of habit on my way to Dance Trance this evening I accidentally slipped on my flip flops instead of my dancing shoes. I used to do this all the time when I worked in an office as well. I would mean to put on my nice heels and make it all the way to work before realizing I actually had flip flops on. Ooops..

I made it all the way to Dance Trance before it clicked that I had the wrong shoes on. Obviously I couldn’t dance with flip flops on, so I went au natural with bare feet.

The verdict? I preferred dancing bare foot!

My feet are tough as nails (I can walk across hot pavement without feeling it), so they had no problem spinning and turning on the wooden dance floor.The bare feet allowed me to connect with the floor more and I felt freer with getting into the music. I was as comfortable dancing in bare feet as if I was in my living room. Maybe I’ll go bare foot every week?

Class was great tonight. We did a faster combination of songs than normal and I really worked up a good sweat. I also stayed 30 minutes extra because I had plans with my friend Katy near by.

We headed to Infusion Tea where they were giving an Art Lesson inside.

I wish I would have known! I wanted to paint too! πŸ™‚

I ordered the usual (or what used to my usual before I decided I needed to explore their menu more)

1/2 Concorde Sandwich

1/2 Chili

Loved picking Katy‘s brain. She always makes me think and inspires me to do creative things I would never have done otherwise. Like tonight when I left suddenly wanting to lead discussions on social media and blogging. Any organization out there want to be my guinea pig? πŸ˜‰

Before Dance Trance I had a great snack of Chobani Yogurt, Kashi Go Lean Crisp, and Blueberries.

And for dessert – a Vitatop! (a freezer item πŸ˜‰ )

It’s late! Good night!

1 Courtney @ The Granola Chronicles February 2, 2011 at 11:10 pm

Glad you were still able to dance with no shoes! I’ve been wanting to try Dance Trance, I just don’t know if they have any classes in my area.

2 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) February 2, 2011 at 11:11 pm

I had to pee so badly once that I ran out of my friend’s car so fast and left my shoes behind… and she drove away. I had to walk around barefoot for hours!
Kate (What Kate is Cooking) recently posted..Hello- February!

3 Jordan February 2, 2011 at 11:22 pm

When I was on drill team in high school, I used to dance without shoes all the time. I always preferred it, but my feet got really beat up, so sometimes I used to wear sole pads that are essentially like being barefoot except the sole of your foot is covered so you can turn. I wish they had Dance Trance in my area. It sounds so fun!
Jordan recently posted..February Goals

4 Emily G. February 2, 2011 at 11:22 pm

Hellllllooo! Would love to be your guinea pig! We’re a business though – does that matter? I need to set up some sort of social media network for the office. I just don’t know where to begin!!

5 Ashley February 2, 2011 at 11:27 pm

I love being barefoot. Even though shoes are pretty, they’re a bit limiting. I kind of thought your chili was pudding or hot chocolate at first haha.

6 Alaina @ The Jogging Concierge February 2, 2011 at 11:28 pm

Dancing barefoot definitely does seem more free. Glad you had a good class! And the sandwich looks yummy, what’s in it??
Alaina @ The Jogging Concierge recently posted..Saving Face

7 Katy (The Singing Runner) February 2, 2011 at 11:30 pm

I want to try Dance Trance, especially since the headquarters are here in Jacksonville! πŸ˜€

8 Kiran February 2, 2011 at 11:40 pm

Sigh. I miss Dance Trance!!! Gotta make another effort next week πŸ˜‰
Kiran recently posted..Simple Guacamole

9 Heather Eats Almond Butter February 2, 2011 at 11:44 pm

I want to try Dance Trance. Not sure if Nashville has any classes, but I’m going to look into it, and I would totally go sans shoes. I never wear shoes when it’s warm outside.
Heather Eats Almond Butter recently posted..75 New Eats

10 Laura February 3, 2011 at 12:09 am

Dance Trance looks so fun!

My mother is from Maryland and hates wearing shoes too. I think it’s her former flower child that refuses to grow up! She had waist-length blonde hair and I can just imagine she and her hippie friends running around barefoot in field, lol. I, on the other hand, hate going barefoot! I ALWAYS have socks on when I’m at home. πŸ™‚ Maybe you’re just more of a free spirit? That’s a good thing!
Laura recently posted..New Plan

11 Maryann February 3, 2011 at 12:14 am

Ive worn flip flops instead of shoes to my chem lab on numerous occasions…no bueno! Glad the dancing worked out for ya though πŸ™‚
Maryann recently posted..Accent VLOG

12 Carolyn February 3, 2011 at 12:20 am

Oh Dance Trance how I adore you! I may have to try barefoot dancing next time. The sock route didn’t work so well for me last week and my runners weren’t quite right the time before either. You might be on to something Meghann!
Carolyn recently posted..Me and my best friend…

13 Rebecca February 3, 2011 at 1:49 am

I’d can be your guinea pig too! My small company is trying to get involved with social media but struggling to see the benefit. I’ve been trying to help them along but it is taking a lot of patience….

I also love bare feet. I rarely even wear socks in the winter in WI. I belong somewhere warm :).

14 Juani February 3, 2011 at 3:46 am

I’m from South Africa,and live in a really small town,walking barefoot here is an everyday occurence.My best friend keeps a pair of boots,heels,flats and sneakers in the boot of her car,because she always walks around barefoot,and drives that way too,so she tends to forget her shoes at home.

15 Angela February 3, 2011 at 4:14 am

Where do you get Vitatops at? They look SO delicious but I’ve never seen them around before.
Angela recently posted..Wild Goose Chase

16 Meghann February 3, 2011 at 8:55 am

I get them in the freezer section at publix, but I know they sell them in bulk at Costco too

17 Gill (snaxandthecity) February 3, 2011 at 4:48 am

I did my workout barefoot this morning too! It was painful though as it was plyo/bodyweight work – I was at home, too, just too lazy to put on my shoes!!
Gill (snaxandthecity) recently posted..Salmon Dance

18 Matt @ The Athlete's Plate February 3, 2011 at 6:27 am

I LOVE being barefoot. I guess that is why I run that way πŸ˜‰
Matt @ The Athlete’s Plate recently posted..6’s and 7’s

19 Lauren February 3, 2011 at 6:38 am

Haha, I’ve done this before! Not dance barefoot, but I’ve forgotten my sneakers for the gym. Unfortunately, it’s hard to run barefoot on a treadmill. Although, barefoot running is the latest fad so maybe it wouldn’t be so abnormal.
Lauren recently posted..Spontaneous Saturday

20 Allie February 3, 2011 at 6:51 am

Sometimes I hate wearing shoes haha and you are such a Florida girl! Being able to walk on hot pavement πŸ˜‰ Awesome haha, I am glad you liked your dance class and your chili + sandwich look soo good.. I love when places like that hold little art lessons, etc. πŸ™‚ Have a great day!!
Allie recently posted..Need help!

21 Kara February 3, 2011 at 7:19 am

I’ve done Body Pump in socks (because that seemed better than doing it in heels?) and I kind of liked it. I felt like a rebel πŸ™‚
Kara recently posted..The dog of my dreams

22 Eliz@The Sweet Life February 3, 2011 at 7:45 am

Dance trance-would love to see a video of that! I can’t imagine.
Eliz@The Sweet Life recently posted..Called to Serve

23 Hope February 3, 2011 at 8:28 am

Dance Trance looks like a fun time! That chili and sandwich look so yummy! πŸ™‚
Hope recently posted..Catching Up On the Rest of My Weekend…

24 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday February 3, 2011 at 8:44 am

I took an adult ballet class before and dancing barefoot was not permitted. I wish it were though, because I love to dance barefoot.

25 Stacy @ Every Little Thing February 3, 2011 at 8:57 am

I’d probably go barefoot or in flip flops all the time if I could. Did you know people pledge to do this for a lifetime? Michael Franti has done this. It’s amazing. I wish I could but work prob wouldn’t like it.
Stacy @ Every Little Thing recently posted..February Grocery Event- Produce

26 Ali @ Ali on the Run February 3, 2011 at 9:08 am

Mmmm I think I have to get on the VitaTop bandwagon. That looks pretty darn delicious.
Ali @ Ali on the Run recently posted..The Best Weekend Ever

27 Sara (Miles and Manhattan) February 3, 2011 at 9:28 am

I love pilates and yoga largely since i can workout barefoot! i know it’s weird but it’s a freeing feeling not to wear shoes..
xoxo
Sara (Miles and Manhattan) recently posted..chow-dah

28 Trish February 3, 2011 at 9:32 am

I’d love to be a test subject for your lecture! I live just north of Tampa and I’d be all ears! πŸ™‚ I think I’d have a friend who’d be interested, too – she owns her own personal training studio.

29 Whitney @ My Life.My Heart. My Journey. February 3, 2011 at 9:35 am

Those VitaTops look interesting! I think I’ll have to look into getting some!! I’ve been considering doing the Les Mills “Body Jam” at my gym…it seems similar to dance trance!

30 Amanda February 3, 2011 at 9:35 am

Oh to be barefoot right now…I’m so jealous! My feet are double-socked in huge, furry boots and they are still freezing. I Love Vitatops. But they are so darn expensive sometimes…I should just experiment and figure out how to make them at home.
Amanda recently posted..February will bring a new challenge

31 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey February 3, 2011 at 10:00 am

I agree on the barefoot dancing – so much more comfortable!
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..happy irish woman

32 Lindsey February 3, 2011 at 10:17 am

I have definitely gone to work in flip flops/ barefeet many times before! I definitely think it may be a southern thing, because I first started doing it when I lived in SC. Now, in the winter, I constantly forget to bring extra shoes and am stuck in boots all day πŸ™‚
Lindsey recently posted..the snow day that wasn’t

33 Kacy February 3, 2011 at 10:23 am

That’s hilarious! I love wearing flip flops so I can see how that might hapen.
Kacy recently posted..A Healthy Habit Journey- Post 3 from the SIL

34 Kathleen @ Kat's Health Corner February 3, 2011 at 11:49 am

Hehe, I’m glad it worked out. πŸ™‚
Kathleen @ Kat’s Health Corner recently posted..I Am β€œCoco” For β€œChoco-Date Muffins”

35 Lauren @ Team Giles February 3, 2011 at 12:40 pm

What is Dance Trance like? I definitely would try it! (if I found one here)…
I think you might have started a new tread going barefoot. πŸ™‚ I think shoes weigh you down, especially when dancing.
Lauren @ Team Giles recently posted..Welcome Month of Love

36 Kelly (meatlesswithaman.blogspot.com) February 3, 2011 at 2:51 pm

I, too, have left the house without shoes!!! In the summer, I LOVE rockin’ out in flip flops – but I am usually barefoot. I started keeping flip flops in my car in the event that I drive to the store barefoot and need shoes πŸ™‚

And I have a tattoo on my left foot also…. maybe it’s a left-foot-tattoo-girl thing?

37 Mimi February 3, 2011 at 6:17 pm

I’m totally like you β€”Β I can walk across hot pavement, pointy gravel and even snow. Guess that goes to show it’s not a Florida thing!
Mimi recently posted..Snowmageddon

38 Michelle @ Turning Over a New Leaf February 3, 2011 at 11:40 pm

I’ve never done Dance Trance, but in the past year and a half that I’ve been doing Zumba, I think I’ve worn shoes a total of twice! I’m the only one wearing only socks on my feet in class, and I’m okay with that! After years of dance classes, I find it weird and impractical to wear tennis shoes to dance…
Michelle @ Turning Over a New Leaf recently posted..I’m a whatever-works-aterian

39 erin February 4, 2011 at 8:45 am

I spent the majoritiy of my life dancing and totally prefer dancing in my bare feet. During the summer I hardly ever wear shoes..unless I am going out or to a place who sports a sign that says..No shoes No shirt No service….I do however always wear a shirt..so I am safe there. I usually keep a pair of flip flops in the back seat of my car just in case I end up going somewhere that needs shoes..and sometimes you can even find me in flip flops when there is snow on the ground πŸ™‚
erin recently posted..who needs Panera

40 Suzanne February 4, 2011 at 9:58 am

I danced in college, and in modern dance classes we weren’t allowed to wear shoes. It’s definitely preferable sometimes. Just be careful that the surface you’re dancing on isn’t too slick and if it’s not a sprung floor (two layers of running opposite ways of each other as opposed to a concrete floor with one wooden layer on top), the impact can be really hard on your body, similar to running on sidewalk in bad shoes. Most gym floors aren’t sprung, and even in the nice dance studios in my college they weren’t, so maybe ask and just go barefoot in moderation.

41 Dan February 8, 2011 at 9:06 pm

I love being barefoot as much as possible, and can walk on just about any surface without a problem. Actually, it usually feels really good to feel all the different textures. It is so freeing to go without shoes. And it’s so much better for your feet not to be trapped in shoes and socks all day long. I’ve just moved to Florida from Massachusetts, so now I can be barefoot all year round! Love it!