Visual Learner

by Meghann on February 1, 2011

Ahhh…. so many ideas running through my head right now!

Thank you for all the feedback from my Living Room Vision post. Now, I just need to figure out what all of those comments mean. I’m a visual learner – does anyone have any photos of the ideas they posted or links? πŸ˜‰

This afternoon I had a wonderfully fascinating lunch with an old work acquaintance and a new friend.

We had a great time discussing social media and fitness – two of my favorite subjects. πŸ™‚

Hot Topic of the Lunch Hour: What encourages you to follow a company on twitter?

I prefer to follow companies that actually interact with their followers and aren’t just auto-tweeting. I also love when companies appear personable, approachable, and informative via twitter. Company twitter accounts that are solely trying to sell me something get an instant unfollow.

While we discussed life I enjoyed the soup and wrap combo for lunch.

I don’t know why I keep ordering Split Pea Soup from restaurants. It ALWAYS disappoints. I have come to the conclusion that the way I like split pea soup (thick and creamy) is not the way split pea soup is traditionally made. I’m afraid the brothy soup I had for lunch is more traditional. :/

The hummus 1/2 warp on the side was good. Just a tad garlicy.

I spent the remainder of the afternoon working at Stardust and I promise my next visit I’m ordering lunch there. This place deserves a full out review! Soon. I promise.

I ordered a black tea and snacked on a Kashi Bar from my bag while working.

I have a rule at coffee shops – I work until my laptop battery dies. This prevents me from staying longer than 3 hours at a time and since I know there’s a time limit I work extra hard to get it all in. πŸ˜‰

Today I worked until the battery hit 5% then headed home for an early dinner.

Yep, I had dinner at 5:30 tonight. I was hungry and knew another snack wasn’t going to cut it. πŸ˜‰

Dinner was easy too. I reheated some left over 15 Bean Soup and topped it with cheese and a side of blue chips.

The blue chips were a great scooping tool for the soup. πŸ˜‰

Since dinner was so early, my dessert was a little heartier than normal this evening.

I heated up an apple with some cinnamon and oatmeal for 10 minutes at 425 in the oven then added a scoop of Egg Nog Ice Cream for kicks.

It. Was. Delicious.

It’s HOT in my apartment. I think the AC will need to come on tonight.

Only in Florida…

Good Night

1 Amanda February 1, 2011 at 10:03 pm

I don’t think that I follow too many companies on Twitter, but the interaction is key. I remember when my company decided go to on Twitter and I got a little nervous (being the Marketing Director). My boss handles all of the tweets and really we just post news and links to our blog. I don’t think there is a lot of action going on. But I do find it interesting when a company reaches out to their followers (whether they be clients, similar companies, partners or even competitors) for help. If we are having a tricky time with finding an approach to a problem, we often ask our Twitter community. I hope this information makes sense (let alone, is helpful!).
Amanda recently posted..Grilled Nutella Wrap

2 Ashley February 1, 2011 at 10:06 pm

I wish I could have the ac on here. Lucky. Dessert looks amazing!

3 Michelle @ Living Learning Earning February 1, 2011 at 10:08 pm

I’m so jealous about your AC… I have my heat cranked πŸ™
Michelle @ Living Learning Earning recently posted..Growing up

4 Stacy @ Every Little Thing February 1, 2011 at 10:10 pm

I have no memory of what heat feels like! hahaha
Stacy @ Every Little Thing recently posted..February Grocery Event- Produce

5 Christin@purplebirdblog February 1, 2011 at 10:12 pm

We had the AC on yesterday and today our temps have dropped to the 20s… Texas weather is bonkers!
Christin@purplebirdblog recently posted..Tofu Scramble

6 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey February 1, 2011 at 10:12 pm

It’s cold over here – I’m hoping the power doesn’t go out because this snowmageddon could get really interesting.
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..happy irish woman

7 Amanda @ Eating Up February 1, 2011 at 10:15 pm

That dessert looks like it would hit the spot!
Amanda @ Eating Up recently posted..Etsy Is My Jam

8 Matt @ The Athlete's Plate February 1, 2011 at 10:15 pm

I LOVE when companies interact with me! That is definitely number one on my list!
Matt @ The Athlete’s Plate recently posted..A New Experience

9 kristy @ kristyruns.com February 1, 2011 at 10:17 pm

Wow! Using the a.c. in February?!?! Must be nice! πŸ˜‰
kristy @ kristyruns.com recently posted..Hot Yoga Love

10 Sara (Miles and Manhattan) February 1, 2011 at 10:21 pm

mmm that chili is getting me thinking about making one next week. mainly so i can have chips. is that wrong…? πŸ™‚
xoxo
s
Sara (Miles and Manhattan) recently posted..chow-dah

11 sarah (sarah learns) February 1, 2011 at 10:23 pm

i have to agree with the importance of interaction on twitter. the company that i follow that i think does this the best that i’ve seen is chobani! they’re so active on twitter. i love it!

12 Grace February 1, 2011 at 10:24 pm

I think my ac might have kicked on today but I think it’s better than the alternative…piles of snow! I also had no idea Kashi had mocha bars…how is it? I find Kashi bars dry sometimes which makes me sad=(
Grace recently posted..No Pictures Please!

13 Krista @ Journey to a Healthy Berg February 1, 2011 at 10:26 pm

What a great dessert idea! It’s like a little baby 10 minute apple crisp πŸ™‚
Krista @ Journey to a Healthy Berg recently posted..Blizzards Bring More Than Snow

14 kim February 1, 2011 at 10:26 pm

i would have never known that was split pea soup. way to brothy. i like it creamy and thick too! if you’re ever at california pizza kitchen order the split pea and barley soup. or google the copy cat recipe online. super yummy, easy to make and a perfect duplicate of the restaurant version!!!

15 Chelsey (Cookteen) February 2, 2011 at 12:00 am

I just bought split peas to make soup! Thanks for the recipe idea πŸ™‚
Chelsey (Cookteen) recently posted..Spicy Roasted Carrots

16 Lindsay February 1, 2011 at 10:27 pm

You are so lucky to live in warm sunny Florida right now! I am stuck in a level 3 ice emergency where no one is supposed to be on the roads! And to top it all off, our power is out because of the ice storm, all while more snow is coming!! Thanks for rubbing it in that you have your AC cranked!! Lol j/k! Love reading your blog, even without the power! πŸ™‚

17 Lee February 1, 2011 at 10:36 pm

I am in charge of getting followers for my company’s twitter and facebook pages. It’s hard! Any ideas on how to get them there in the first place? I don’t have a problem interacting, but it’s the initial getting them to the pages that’s hard for me. It’s a kid’s book company, btw.
Lee recently posted..Not a Great Meal

18 Meghann February 2, 2011 at 10:13 am

Find similar companies (like competitors) and see whose following them, then start interacting with their followers. πŸ˜‰

19 Meghann February 2, 2011 at 10:15 am

You can also start interacting with school districts, teachers, and parents. Follow them then start the conversation by giving them advice when offered and answering their questions.

20 Anne February 1, 2011 at 10:46 pm

I love thick split pea soup too, with lots of ham…my mom’s recipe is the BEST!
Anne recently posted..Reflections- January

21 Katy (The Singing Runner) February 1, 2011 at 11:07 pm

It is hot in my apartment too. Oh Florida..what a tease! πŸ˜‰

22 Raya February 1, 2011 at 11:22 pm

Since I am now in charge of Twitter for a company, I was really interested to read everyone’s responses!! I’ll be checking back to read more!
Raya recently posted..Sleep Habits

23 Amy @ Amy Starts to Run February 1, 2011 at 11:42 pm

Watch out about mentioning “hot” and “AC” You might have an influx of unexpected house guests from snow covered areas!

I will follow companies I believe in, and also interact with their followers. I hate automated tweets.
Amy @ Amy Starts to Run recently posted..Steak and Toilet Paper

24 Chelsey (Cookteen) February 1, 2011 at 11:59 pm

HOT?! Haha I’m constantly increasing the heat in my house because the whole east coast is about to get slammed with storm number 37 of the season πŸ™‚ oh if we still lived in florida life would be a lot warmer πŸ™‚ hehe
Chelsey (Cookteen) recently posted..Spicy Roasted Carrots

25 Jen February 2, 2011 at 12:01 am

Oh my goodness! Thank you for saying that you unfollow companies who don’t interact with their followers on Twitter. I handle the Twitter account for my office and I am not allowed to interract with followers or other tweeters. It drives me bonkers, and I’m glad to see my thoughts validated!

26 Meghann February 2, 2011 at 10:18 am

You’re not allowed to interact? OMG. What’s the point in having twitter then? I would suggest printing out copies of your favorite companies you follow on twitter and bring your research to you boss. Show them which ones had more followers because their constantly interacting and building the brand.

27 Jen February 2, 2011 at 10:52 am

I made those arguments months ago, but no dice. I actually work for an academic department (philosophy), and there are so many politics about which points of view will be presented in tweets that the Chairperson avoids the conflict completely. I can only tweet news and cannot interact with others. Thankfully, we’re not trying to increase sales, but I think there’s no point to Twitter if you’re not interactive. It seems akin to the “If a tree falls in the forest…” riddle. Oh well. πŸ™‚

28 Sarah for Real February 2, 2011 at 12:18 am

I follow companies on Twitter as I happen to want to tweet them. I keep following (and love love it) if they tweet back or I see interaction with customers.

I always thought “traditional” split pea soup was like you described, thick and creamy. That’s how it’s made up here in the northwest anyway. Oh, and it’s like that at California’s famous Anderson’s Split Pea restaurant too. I think you’re just getting the wrong end of the (stick) spoon with your bowls. Har har.
Sarah for Real recently posted..Real Life Vegetarian Meals

29 Runeatrepeat February 2, 2011 at 12:26 am

You need to come to CA and we’ll do a road trip to Pea Soup Anderson’s. That is the place for Pea Soup! I’ve been there a couple of times on our way up North πŸ™‚

Runeatrepeat recently posted..I Wish

30 Meghann February 2, 2011 at 10:18 am

I saw that place on Girls Next Door! Next time I’m in CA you’ll have to take me so I can give my full review!

31 Kathleen @ Kat's Health Corner February 2, 2011 at 1:06 am

Split Pea Soup is my mother’s favorite!!! YUM!
Kathleen @ Kat’s Health Corner recently posted..I Am β€œCoco” For β€œChoco-Date Muffins”

32 Sammy February 2, 2011 at 5:27 am

I’m also really interested in the twitter company marketing issue that you’ve raised, as it’s relevant to my job. Maybe you should do a separate more ‘business’ post, as it seems quite a few of us would be interested to hear your views.
Out of interest, what are the companies that you think do it well?

33 Meghann February 2, 2011 at 10:22 am

I was thinking about a post like that. πŸ˜‰

A recent example of a company that did it right was Lime Fresh Mexican Grill. I ate there last week and they found my blog post with my visit on it. They started following me and then tweeted about the post and thanking me for the visit. I immediately retweeted their tweet (extra exposure for them because of my 3900 followers) and then immediately tweeted them congratulating on their social media efforts. We then started a twitter conversation from there. The whole experience brought the company up 10 notches in my opinion! πŸ™‚

34 katie February 2, 2011 at 7:03 am

I so WISH it was hot in our place or outside for that matter, we are in blizzard mode right now : p

Your dessert looks amazing!!! How simple and yumm, I dont like eggnog icecream , hmmmmm cinnamon icecream or vanilla would do!!
katie recently posted..Tuna Love Maker

35 Kara February 2, 2011 at 7:15 am

I can’t imagine feeling like I need to turn on the AC. I’m so jealous.

I like to follow companies that give their follower’s deals (what can I say, I can be bought) and ones that tweet about sales ahead of time
Kara recently posted..A workout ate my marriage

36 Alaina February 2, 2011 at 7:21 am

What I wouldn’t give to be hot right now.

I don’t follow too many people on Twitter but I like companies that offer coupons and giveaways and that interact as well. πŸ™‚
Alaina recently posted..Saving Face

37 Amanda February 2, 2011 at 7:21 am

The rest of the nation has arctic temperatures, and you turn on the AC! First day ever that I have a snow day from work. Yay! Buy a bag of split peas and you’ll have thick split pea soup…it’s my staple soup, and I like it really thick, too.

38 Kim @ girlevolving February 2, 2011 at 7:58 am

Thin split pea soup is a big disappointment! Ugh!

Also, you’re turning on the AC, we’re in a blizzard. All the same…
Kim @ girlevolving recently posted..snow days

39 Lauren February 2, 2011 at 7:59 am

I’m really appreciating your social media tips. I am working on updating the social media for our company and we are about to get a Twitter page. I would LOVE to rack your brain sometime. I know that you are busy, but perhaps I could email you sometime with a few questions?

Hope you have a great day!
Lauren recently posted..Spontaneous Saturday

40 Meghann February 2, 2011 at 10:24 am

Sure! Or we can set up a skype or gchat appointment! too bad I can’t see you in person!

41 G February 2, 2011 at 8:07 am

You get to turn on your A/C!?!?
So incredibly jealous…. I need to move.

42 Tammy (Palm Trees and Manatees) February 2, 2011 at 8:07 am

We just arrived on Saturday, and we have the AC on, too! I can’t get over it! It’s cold and snowy at home. They’re wearing winter jackets — I’m wearing shorts. Can’t believe I’m a Floridian! I look forward to meeting you! I’ll send you an e-mail within the next week.
Tammy (Palm Trees and Manatees) recently posted..Moving Mania

43 Gill (snaxandthecity) February 2, 2011 at 8:11 am

interesting discussion about companies on twitter! i don’t like auto-tweets either.

mmm apple crumble for dessert, sounds very British!!
Gill (snaxandthecity) recently posted..Just eats

44 Meghann February 2, 2011 at 10:25 am

Auto-tweets are the worst, but auto-DMs are the devil!

45 Katherine: Unemployed February 2, 2011 at 8:18 am

I haven’t seen those TLC bars! great find
Katherine: Unemployed recently posted..Annie Anderson

46 rebecca lustig February 2, 2011 at 8:58 am

i only like my split pea soup thick and creamy as well. better substance!

those tlc bars bring me back to college!

47 Caitlin February 2, 2011 at 9:00 am

“Only in Florida” Yes. lol As I am sitting here looking out of my window at the snow and ice on the trees! But, hey, I can’t complain..I love the snow!

btw your dessert looks amazing!

48 Kacy February 2, 2011 at 9:12 am

I eat dinner before 6 p.m. almost every day haha. I’m an old fart.
Kacy recently posted..A Healthy Habit Journey- Post 3 from the SIL

49 Beth @ DiningAndDishing February 2, 2011 at 9:29 am

I cannot believe you turned the AC on while the rest of the country is being burried!! I consider myself lucky to be in DC right now but I think you Floridians win :).
Beth @ DiningAndDishing recently posted..Sweetest Thing

50 Hope February 2, 2011 at 9:44 am

Your dessert looks so amazing! πŸ™‚ I usually start cooking dinner as soon as I get home from work. So I usually eat around 6pm or 6:30pm.

AC?! I was sitting planted in front of my space heater all night. It was freezing!
Hope recently posted..Catching Up On the Rest of My Weekend…

51 Hilary February 2, 2011 at 11:06 am

You would probably love Whole Food’s split pea soup! It’s thick, which is how I like it too, and at my WF it’s usually for sale in the prepackaged refrigerated section as well as in the hot bar/takeout area.

52 Jena February 2, 2011 at 11:26 am

We had our AC on last night as well. My husband said it was HOT in the house when he got home from work so he cranked it down to 72, uhm hello powerbill. geez.

I don’t follow any companies on twitter, yet. I’m still pretty new to this whole Twitter thing and it’s all I can do to keep up w/ the few people that I follow now.
Jena recently posted..Say What

53 Megan February 2, 2011 at 11:41 am

Argh – why do I not live in Florida? Seriously. It is an icy mess here in NJ.

I am 100% with you on the creamy pea soup thing. I always feel the same way; I want to order it in a restaurant and then get disappointed. If I am going to have pea soup it is Campbell’s. πŸ™‚

54 Rachel February 2, 2011 at 4:09 pm

You should check out http://www.apartmenttherapy.com! They have alot of unique ideas for making the best use of small spaces. And, in some of their “house tours” they discuss how the couples have combined their senses of style and individual priorities.
Rachel recently posted..Weekly Challenge

55 Mimi February 2, 2011 at 6:20 pm

Psch, split pea soup in my family is ALWAYS thick and creamy!
Mimi recently posted..Snowmageddon