What the Body Ordered

by Meghann on January 31, 2011

Screen shot 2011-01-31 at 9.41.39 PM.png

It’s as if she read my mind.

Well, actually I was planning on heading to yoga tomorrow, but when Megan opened the invite up, I happily accepted. πŸ™‚

Hi Megan! πŸ™‚

Before yoga I had a piece of toast with peanut butter, pumpkin, raisins, and chocolate chips.

Seriously delicious.

Yoga was just what the doctor called for or, I should say, just what the body needed. I left feeling stretched and relaxed. The sweat session really did a number on my back and legs, massaging them right where they needed to be massaged.

However, all the rag dolls and downward dogs left me craving a pedicure. It I’m going to stare at my toes for a portion of the class, I would rather be staring at pretty toes. Maybe I can try and fit one in this week. πŸ˜‰

Meet my current arch nemesis.

Oh 3/4 full jar of pasta sauce, why can’t I open you? I’ve opened you once before, but In an effort to preserve you I somehow forgot I used superglue to reseal you? Ughh…

I really, really hate to say it, but *gulp* I wish I had a guy around to open the darn jar of sauce. If there’s one thing guys are good for – it’s opening a jar of sauce.

I tried for 20 minutes banging, twisting, and gripping that dang jar, but nothing worked.

Send in the back ups.

It took me all of two seconds to open the NEW jar of sauce. I guess I’ll save the other one for a rainy day. Though I was *this close* close to throwing it against the wall. If I hadn’t of had this extra jar in the cabinet I probably would have. πŸ˜‰

The sauce was important. It took tonight’s dinner from ‘blah’ to ‘yum.’ πŸ™‚

Looks good, right?

It all began with a bed of spinach

Then a heaping serving of roasted vegetables.

Carrots, Apples, Red Potatoes, Purple Potatoes, and Brussel Sprouts

Note the purple potatoes. πŸ˜‰

They roasted for 20 minutes at 420

Next, Meatless Meatballs heated with pasta sauce.

IMG_6384.JPG IMG_6385.JPG

(I had a free coupon I got off Facebook. They were good. I would rate them above the Morning Star Meatless Meatballs easily. πŸ˜‰ )

A shredded slice of swiss cheese to finish it all off.

Plus bread. You can’t eat anything covered in pasta sauce with out a nice piece of toast to soak it all up!

For dessert I had a small cone of Edy’s Take the Cake Ice Cream.

Someone was asking if I could do a size comparison photo for this dessert.

IMG_6412.jpg

Does that help? It was really hard trying to find something in my kitchen that everyone would be able to picture the exact size of it. πŸ™‚

Alright, time for sleep.

Good Night!

1 Ash Bear January 31, 2011 at 10:28 pm

Today I was just thinking how much my body would benefit from yoga. I’ve dropped off the band wagon, just like Caitlin. Hopefully I can squeeze in 1 class per week these next few weeks.
Ash Bear recently posted..Leftovers By Candlelight

2 Sara (Miles and Manhattan) January 31, 2011 at 10:29 pm

Delicious. I’m always nervous about fresh beets (eat canned ones incessantly) πŸ™‚ but might have to change my tune…!
S
Sara (Miles and Manhattan) recently posted..chow-dah

3 Kiran January 31, 2011 at 10:33 pm

I need to go to OPY fast!!! That dinner does look delish πŸ™‚
Kiran recently posted..What we saw in New York City

4 Beth @ Beth's Journey to Thin January 31, 2011 at 10:35 pm

Wow that ice cream gets me every time. I need it!
Beth @ Beth’s Journey to Thin recently posted..Mind Games and a No Bake Cookie Recipe

5 Katey January 31, 2011 at 10:35 pm

Wrap a rubber band around the cap. Then twist. Sometimes it helps. =)

6 Mary (How to not be...) January 31, 2011 at 10:39 pm

hahaha did you really superglue the jar back after using it? Does that really work?
Mary (How to not be…) recently posted..Signs you need to reevaluate your social and-or dating life

7 Meghann February 1, 2011 at 9:11 am

I was kidding. Bad joke. πŸ™‚

8 kirsten January 31, 2011 at 10:41 pm

that ice cream looks so good!!

9 Christine January 31, 2011 at 10:42 pm

I have to tell you a secret….take a butter knife and whack the jar’s cap making little indentations on the rim of the lid.

Jar will open like magic.

10 Meghann February 1, 2011 at 9:12 am

Thanks – I’m going to try that one πŸ™‚

11 Amanda @ Eating Up January 31, 2011 at 10:44 pm

Ugh I hate when I can’t open my food!
Amanda @ Eating Up recently posted..Etsy Is My Jam

12 Victoria H January 31, 2011 at 10:44 pm

No way, PURPLE potatoes? I have never seen those before! Anyone else with me or must it be that I live in a box?
Victoria H recently posted..I Love Shopping!! Grocery shopping- that is!

13 Ali @ Ali on the Run January 31, 2011 at 10:47 pm

What exactly is the pumpkin spread you have on your toast? It looks amazing.
Ali @ Ali on the Run recently posted..The Best Weekend Ever

14 Meghann February 1, 2011 at 9:12 am

It’s a mix of canned pumpkin and peanut butter. It’s delicious πŸ™‚

15 s January 31, 2011 at 10:50 pm

you can use a can opener on it. youd have to put it in some other container though.

16 Meghann February 1, 2011 at 9:13 am

I’ll use that as a last resort πŸ™‚

17 Raya January 31, 2011 at 10:52 pm

Other than friends/family and a steady income, OPY is one of the things I miss THE MOST about Orlando!!! Until I get a job in Phoenix, going to a yoga studio is off limits for me for financial reasons.
Raya recently posted..Sleep Habits

18 Caitlin T January 31, 2011 at 10:55 pm

Your food seriously always looks so good! And it seems so simple! I am DEF trying the dinner you made this week! …and searching for that ice cream πŸ™‚
Caitlin T recently posted..Obbbbbsesssiooonnnns

19 Meg January 31, 2011 at 10:55 pm

Wait, do you really re-seal your jars with superglue? …is that normal???

20 Meghann February 1, 2011 at 9:14 am

It was a joke! πŸ™‚ A bad one, I’ll admit.

21 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) January 31, 2011 at 10:57 pm

I love purple potatoes! I know they don’t taste any different, but there’s something special about them πŸ™‚
Kate (What Kate is Cooking) recently posted..Getting Organized- Part Deux

22 Alexa @ The Girl In Chucks January 31, 2011 at 11:00 pm

When I can’t open a jar, I run it under really hot tap water, or if it’s really bad, perhaps pour boiling water over the edge of the jar…sometimes the hot water helps dislodge any sauce “crud” that may be preventing me from opening the bottle.

But I won’t lie, having a boy to do it is easier! ;P
Alexa @ The Girl In Chucks recently posted..Dialect vLog

23 Meghann February 1, 2011 at 9:15 am

That makes sense. I’m going to try it next time. πŸ™‚

24 Lauren @Hungry Dancer January 31, 2011 at 11:00 pm

Yum! I love roasted Veggies…but I love ice cream even more!!!
Lauren @Hungry Dancer recently posted..Green Monster Gone Wrong

25 Katy (The Singing Runner) January 31, 2011 at 11:10 pm

I need that ice cream. Every single time I see you eat it, I am reminded of this fact. πŸ˜‰

26 Allison January 31, 2011 at 11:14 pm

Christine and Alexa both posted my go-to jar opening secrets. Try the hot water one first. If that one doesn’t work, then tap the back of a knife on the rim of the lid. If the water doesn’t work, the indentations will–promise!
Allison recently posted..Fitter and Fatter!

27 Emily @ Savory and Savage January 31, 2011 at 11:14 pm

That dinner looks amazing. Now I am craving meatballs πŸ™

Hot water run over the lid will help the metal to expand making it easier to open (in theory) just don’t get the glass too hot!

But I will admit I have a jar of pickles in the fridge that has been sealed solid for 2 months…
Emily @ Savory and Savage recently posted..A chestnut of a find

28 Caitlin (EatFeats) January 31, 2011 at 11:15 pm

That ice cream! Oh my. I feel like I need it.
Caitlin (EatFeats) recently posted..Review- The Partly Cloudy Patriot- by Sarah Vowell

29 Sana January 31, 2011 at 11:19 pm

Yoga sounds better than a massage!
Sana recently posted..Meaty Needs

30 Ashley January 31, 2011 at 11:24 pm

Haha I’m sure the glass from smashing the jar against the wall would taste lovely with the veggies :p I’ve never had purple potatos do they taste any differently from regular potatoes?

31 Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) January 31, 2011 at 11:27 pm

I have a couple jars of Pace to use up that I received.

I wish i had that little ice cream cone next to them though πŸ™‚
Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) recently posted..Challenge- 10 Facts

32 Amy January 31, 2011 at 11:28 pm

Run the jar under hot water and then try to twist it open. Or use a spoon or some other thin, blunt object to pry up a couple sides of the lid, and then try to twist it open. One of those two tricks always works for me!!
Amy recently posted..I lie!

33 Courtney @ The Granola Chronicles January 31, 2011 at 11:40 pm

I need to get my hands on some purple potatoes – how fun are those?!?
Courtney @ The Granola Chronicles recently posted..San Diego Preview

34 Alaina @ The Jogging Concierge January 31, 2011 at 11:42 pm

Sometimes smacking the bottom of the bottle will help loosen the lid.

I need ice cream! It’s been months! πŸ™‚
Alaina @ The Jogging Concierge recently posted..Saving Face

35 Amanda (tomboy that wears makeup) January 31, 2011 at 11:49 pm

What a great idea! YUM! I just made a cucumber salad and threw some falafel balls on top- She was a good one too;)

36 Alissa January 31, 2011 at 11:56 pm

It looks amazing! I often have that problem, I find that running the jar/lid side part under hot water sometimes helps. I get so upset because I know that I can do it! My Dr. today told me to that I need to start doing Yoga because my neck muscles are very tense. Thank you for the inspiration to do Yoga in the morning before work!
Alissa recently posted..Susan G Komen Hockey Night for the Cure!

37 Maren February 1, 2011 at 12:12 am

I use meatless meatballs all the time! They’re amazing. I even crush them up to use as meatless ground meat for things. 90 seconds in the microwave couldn’t be better spent.
Maren recently posted..my ankle says β€œloose! and more Huevos Rancheros”

38 Jessica @ The Virtual Scrapbook February 1, 2011 at 12:39 am

Those veggies looks delicious!! I have my farm box coming tomorrow and I’m sure I’ll have many of those veggies in there! Look what I’m going to make for dinner this week πŸ™‚
Jessica @ The Virtual Scrapbook recently posted..Dinner and a workout

39 Christin@purplebirdblog February 1, 2011 at 2:15 am

I love the purple potatoes! I had them for the first time over the summer with my CSA… purple foods are just fun to eat! πŸ™‚
Christin@purplebirdblog recently posted..Gluten-Free Bread and a Happier Tummy

40 Amy P February 1, 2011 at 2:26 am

Meghann! I think you should do the accent Vlog just for fun πŸ™‚

41 Lauren February 1, 2011 at 6:45 am

Haha, I’ve definitely thrown out entire jars because I couldn’t get them open. It’s okay! πŸ™‚ At least you had a backup.
Lauren recently posted..Spontaneous Saturday

42 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey February 1, 2011 at 7:09 am

Holy yum – that looks like my kind of dinner! Anything with roasted vegetables is good in my book!!
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..happy irish woman

43 Kelly February 1, 2011 at 7:18 am

Try this with that jar: turn your kitchen faucet on and wait for the water to get hot. Then place the lid of the jar under the hot water for a few seconds. The heat should cause the lid to swell. Give it a few thumps on the very bottom of the jar with the heel of your hand. Take a butter knife and go around under the ridge of the lid of the jar, which will help break any seal. Grasp the lid with a rag or rubber gripper and attempt to open. After living as a single gal for a couple of years, I developed this tried and true method of getting by without a guy. πŸ˜‰ Good luck!
Kelly recently posted..February- Coconut giveaway month

44 Kara February 1, 2011 at 7:20 am

Opening jars is my husband’s #1 contribution to cooking. I think they can open it because their hands are bigger!

I’m sure you tried everything, but running the lid under hot water can be a life saver.
Kara recently posted..Peanut unleashed

45 katie February 1, 2011 at 7:29 am

the veggie patch meatless meatballs are actually my fave beside Trader Joe’s ones!

Love the icecream cone dessert, its been forever since I had a yummy icecream cone!
katie recently posted..Tuna Love Maker

46 Meredith February 1, 2011 at 7:47 am

I take a knife or fork and jam it up under the lid of the jar and pull up to get the lid to pop . . . then it’s a total piece of cake to open!
Meredith recently posted..The Nice Girl Syndrome

47 carmen February 1, 2011 at 7:50 am

ditto what meredith just said – I was about to suggest the same thing, but i always use a butter knife (seems less treacherous that a fork for some reason, haha).

48 Hope February 1, 2011 at 8:01 am

That looks like a great dinner! I’ve never had a purple potato before! It looks so pretty! I hate not being able to open jars! I have one of those rubber jar opener thingys that you place over the lid and it makes it easier to turn. I would never be able to open anything if wasn’t for that thing!
Hope recently posted..Catching Up On the Rest of My Weekend…

49 Megan February 1, 2011 at 8:03 am

Looks like you roasted your brussels sprouts while they were still frozen. I was wondering if I could do that since I hate to waste time defrosting. Glad to see that it works!

Would you believe that I have never done yoga in my life? I am dying to try it but don’t want to buy a pass or anythiing at a local yoga studio for fear I won’t like it and don’t want to go back. πŸ™

50 Kim @ girlevolving February 1, 2011 at 8:21 am

Try holding the jar under hot water or over a pot of boiling water. The steam or heat might help release things. It’s worked for me with a sticky bottle of soy sauce!
Kim @ girlevolving recently posted..snow days

51 Kacy February 1, 2011 at 8:24 am

I couldn’t find that ice cream. I was so sad. I got Ben and Jerry’s Cake batter instead, it was good but not the same. Sigh.
Kacy recently posted..A Healthy Habit Journey- Post 3 from the SIL

52 Errign February 1, 2011 at 8:48 am

Sometimes running the rim of the lid under hot water loosens the stuff that’s making the top stick. πŸ™‚

I like the size comparison, but those Pace Picante jars are smaller than they look πŸ™‚ The photo makes them look like a family size salsa πŸ™‚ I wish I had an ice cream cone right now!
Errign recently posted..Day 05 &amp awesome things –

53 Aneta February 1, 2011 at 8:54 am

here is a little trick that i learned from my dad for opening jars.
take a butter knife, try to wedge it under the lid until some hear is let in/out and the jar should be easy peasy to open.
works like a charm!

54 Anna @ Doing Good & Living Well February 1, 2011 at 9:06 am

Some folks beat me to it, but my stand by jar opening technique is also running it under hot water. πŸ™‚

It’s 9am and your ice cream pic has me craving a cone!
Anna @ Doing Good & Living Well recently posted..Snow Envy

55 Margaret February 1, 2011 at 9:44 am

I was totally going to suggest the hot water trick! I’ve even boiled a pot of water and dunked the top half of the pasta jar into the boiling water. It gets superhot (obviously) so use a towel to dry it off and twist the cap. That should work!
Margaret recently posted..You cant make this stuff up

56 Gill (snaxandthecity) February 1, 2011 at 10:07 am

i did some restorative yoga today too and had the exact same thought about my toes – yuck! nothing a good old mani pedi can’t fix tho!
Gill (snaxandthecity) recently posted..Just eats

57 sarah (sarah learns) February 1, 2011 at 10:13 am

you roasted apples?!? i never would have thought of that. but i do love combining sweet + savory, so i can see it working! your dinner looks really good – i love it when i throw a bunch of stuff in a bowl and it works. πŸ™‚
sarah (sarah learns) recently posted..the new dietary guidelines for americans

58 Claire February 1, 2011 at 10:17 am

Your dinner looks DELICIOUS!! I love the mix of veggies and tomato sauce! And I celebrate my birthday month too with endless celebrations! Why not? πŸ™‚ Have a great one!
Claire recently posted..Sweet and Savory Sundays- Pillsbury Funfetti

59 Melissa @ TryingToHeal February 1, 2011 at 10:30 am

soak the top of the jar in hot water, works like a charm!

60 Amy @ What Jew Wanna Eat February 1, 2011 at 10:49 am

Veggies and tomato sauce is a favorite lazy dinner of mine that I haven’t had in too long. I need to bring that sucker back into rotation!
Amy @ What Jew Wanna Eat recently posted..Beef and Sweet Potato Knishes

61 Heather February 1, 2011 at 12:13 pm

The hot tap water trick: totally works. Just get the water as hot as possible.

62 Ali @ Ali Runs February 1, 2011 at 12:51 pm

I love that idea for dinner! I have never roasted vegetables for dinner, but everytime I see that you do it makes me want to try.
Ali @ Ali Runs recently posted..Let’s Talk About Friends

63 Gina February 1, 2011 at 3:02 pm

I’ll preface this by saying that I love your blog and healthy living blogs in general, but your inclusion of the comparison shot of the ice cream cone really raised a red flag for me. I’m just wondering why someone would ask for that and why you would feel the need to post it. Maybe I’m way off base, but that seems to be inviting a really unhealthy eating comparison. I could see how someone could think “I need to know exactly how much dessert that is so that I only eat that much,” or “oh her dessert is way smaller than mine.”

64 Lynn February 1, 2011 at 7:46 pm

Morningstar doesn’t make meatballs…which might be why you like Veggie Patch more! πŸ™‚

65 Meghann February 2, 2011 at 10:38 am

THey used too! I remember eating them in college πŸ™‚

66 KatieTX February 1, 2011 at 9:23 pm

Those Classico jars are evil!! I have had many that I could not open when they were brand new, and then again after one use they seemed to have “superglued” themselves closed! You are not the only one!