The Missing Pieces

by Meghann on January 31, 2011

Good Morning!

Have you read my Miami Half Marathon Recap yet? πŸ˜‰

A few things I forgot to include in yesterday’s recap:

The Outfit:

IMG_6319.jpg

• HeadbandSweaty Bands (I have three and a obsessed! They are the only headbands that actually stay on my head.)
  • ShirtChicago Marathon (Best race shirt ever)
  • Skirt – Target (purchased December 2008)

The Fuel:

IMG_2017.JPG

This was a crowded race. Crowded races = crowded water stations. Instead of fighting the crowds at the first few water stations I carried a water bottle that lasted me 10 miles. I did stop at two separate water stations for gatorade along the course.

l14787.png

I had pinned three Orange Clif Shot Bloks to the inside of my skirt and took them around mile 8. I’m not sure if it’s the placebo effect, but every time I take shot bloks during a race, I instantly feel more energized and ready to run!

Races:

Welcome new readers! From the comments it sounded like a few people assumed this was my first half marathon. It was actually my 4th. πŸ™‚

If you would like to read about my first, check out my OUC Half Marathon Recap from December 2008 (!!) or to read about my half marathon PR check out my Space Coast Half Marathon Recap from November 2009.

And just for fun, here’s the link to my first full marathon (San Diego, May 2009) and my full marathon PR (Palm Beach, December 2010). πŸ˜‰

It should be noted on the drive home I snacked on Peanut Butter Pretzels and Peanut Butter M&Ms on top of the cookie and apple I blogged about yesterday. πŸ˜‰

Once we made it back to Orlando, Derek and I had no desire to cook or go out for anything particular. We ended up stopping at Pita Pit and picking up some Pitas to go.

I ordered the Babagnoush Pita with lots of veggies and feta in whole wheat pita.

This morning I’m oddly sore. It’s weird because I’ve done much longer runs than 13 miles at a much faster pace and wasn’t sore at all. I guess that shows you the difference between good training and ‘winging it.’ FYI: winging it means sore legs the next day. πŸ˜‰

I woke up and did Level 2 of Jillian Michaels Six Week Six Pack and made Derek and I smoothies for breakfast.

All I had in the freezer were the Yoplait Smoothie Mixes, so I combined two and bulked them up with chia seeds, peanut flour, and oats in the blender then piled mine with granola, raisins, and cacao nibs.

Just as predicted, Derek loved the smoothie mix, but he is also a sugar fiend and when ever I make him regular smoothies he always add sugar to sweeten it up anyways. To be fair, these mixes don’t taste bad, they’re just really sweet with unnecessary ingredients added to the mix.

I have a LOT of work to catch up on today. Best get to it!

How was your weekend? Do anything fun?

1 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday January 31, 2011 at 9:32 am

I don’t know about running skirts. I really just don’t get it.

2 Liza January 31, 2011 at 9:50 am

I like running skirts because they do a good job covering up. Ideally, I would wear short booty shorts when I run (cause that’s honestly what I find most comfortable) but am way too modest for that. The skirt over the short shorts makes it so I am comfortable and not showing the entire world my booty.

3 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday January 31, 2011 at 9:56 am

That makes a lot of sense, Liza. I only ever saw it as a fashion statement that didn’t serve much of a purpose. I usually run in pants or capris so I never got it, but if you’re use a skirt to cover up that’s cool.

4 Christin@purplebirdblog January 31, 2011 at 12:02 pm

I always wondered about that too… thinking it was just some weird fashion statement. Thanks for the insight, Liza! πŸ™‚
Christin@purplebirdblog recently posted..PB&J Farina

5 Meghann February 1, 2011 at 9:17 am

I just think they’re fun to wear. πŸ™‚ There’s no point to wearing skirts any other time either. Just fun to wear and make you feel girlie.

6 Heather @ Side of Sneakers January 31, 2011 at 9:37 am

Sweaty bands are the BEST. Loved your recap, congrats on a great & fun race!

And I think candy should be mandatory after every race. πŸ˜‰
Heather @ Side of Sneakers recently posted..Everything Tastes Better Mini &amp with Peanut Butter

7 Dori January 31, 2011 at 9:38 am

I have way too many headbands but now I want to try the kind you have! Must. stop. self. Your pita looks awesome, I want it!
Dori recently posted..I’m Quoted in the NY Times!

8 Ali @ Ali on the Run January 31, 2011 at 9:39 am

You are hardcore for waking up and working out the day after running a 1/2 marathon. Congratulations on another great race!
Ali @ Ali on the Run recently posted..The Best Weekend Ever

9 Emily January 31, 2011 at 9:39 am

my chicago shirt from 2009 is also one of my favorite running shirts ever. congrats on a fun race! Reading your recap(s) gave me major race fever. I love that you guys turned it into such a family/friends affair.
Emily recently posted..A Nice Little Saturday

10 Kara January 31, 2011 at 9:40 am

I did my own private half marathon, ate cake, almost got attacked by Cujo, and hung out with my baby and husband. So, normal weekend! πŸ™‚

I need to get some of those headbands that you have!
Kara recently posted..Sweet baby cheeses

11 Kaitlin January 31, 2011 at 9:40 am

I love that skirt! So cute.

I had a great weekend– running in the sun and a sushi buffet! yum πŸ™‚
Kaitlin recently posted..Sushi Saturday-Sunny Sunday

12 Jessica @ dalyauthenticity.blogspot.com January 31, 2011 at 9:40 am

Meghann, Congrats again on a great run!

My weekends are always a little crazy because Friday and Saturdays are my longest work days (14 hours), so by the time Sunday rolls around, I use it as my rest day, and just spend time with the hubby πŸ™‚
Jessica @ dalyauthenticity.blogspot.com recently posted..Sunday Musings

13 kristy @ kristyruns.com January 31, 2011 at 9:41 am

That is a great race outfit! Cute and comfy! πŸ™‚ Mmmm…smoothie bowl…
kristy @ kristyruns.com recently posted..Hot Yoga Love

14 Eliz@The Sweet Life January 31, 2011 at 9:42 am

So are you guys 100% living together now? If so, how have the first few days been? Congrats again!
Eliz@The Sweet Life recently posted..Leaving Yourself at the Altar

15 Meghann January 31, 2011 at 9:51 am

We’re not living together yet. Move in day is March 5th. He just stayed the night in Orlando because he took the day off and didn’t feel like driving all the way back to Tampa tonight.

16 Stacy @ Every Little Thing January 31, 2011 at 9:46 am

oooo I’m working from home tomorrow and definitely making a smoothie for breakfast! Also, love your race skirt and your idea for what to put on the back (you tweeted it)!
Stacy @ Every Little Thing recently posted..February Grocery Event

17 Meghann February 1, 2011 at 9:17 am

Ha! Thanks! It was my Dad’s idea actually.

18 Ali @ Ali Runs January 31, 2011 at 9:46 am

Skinny Runner also said sweaty bands were the way to go. I have one bondi band which works okay, but does slip off my head every now and then. Loved the recap! πŸ™‚
Ali @ Ali Runs recently posted..Let’s Talk About Friends

19 Meghann January 31, 2011 at 9:52 am

I’ve tried Bondi Bands, but am just not a fan. They’re really wide and still slip like crazy off my head. Sweaty Bands are where it’s at. πŸ™‚

20 Kelly January 31, 2011 at 9:47 am

I still haven’t jumped on the running skirt bandwagon, but I think that will change when the weather warms up here, especially if I can get them at Target. πŸ™‚ Great job on your race! I have sore legs sometimes too when I feel like I’ve done waaaay more in the past and I’m like “what gives?”.
Kelly recently posted..February- Coconut giveaway month

21 Kiran January 31, 2011 at 9:48 am

Me too! I have obsession with headbands! Congrats on the run girl πŸ™‚
Kiran recently posted..Home-made Pumpkin Spiced Chai

22 Kelly January 31, 2011 at 9:51 am

I can never ever get any kind of headband to stay on my head when I run. I used to use pre-wrap because it was kind of sticky and stuck to my hair.
Kelly recently posted..Hello

23 Krissy - Shiawase Life January 31, 2011 at 9:52 am

I love running skirts, I won’t race without em now!!!
Krissy – Shiawase Life recently posted..Yup- it’s still me

24 allison @ thesundayflog January 31, 2011 at 9:53 am

i think orange flavored gels/gu’s/bloks are the only ones i would like! such a fun race! i was in DC visiting friends this weekend, and i too have a busy week!

25 Callie January 31, 2011 at 10:05 am

Since I read your recap post on my phone while waiting for our table at Olive Garden last night (for realz) I didn’t get a chance to comment. But GREAT JOB! And I also wanted to say that the pictures of you and Derek after the race are adorable. πŸ™‚
Callie recently posted..Workout Hiatus

26 Meghann February 1, 2011 at 9:18 am

Thanks Callie πŸ™‚

27 Ashley January 31, 2011 at 10:06 am

I don’t know if I would like running skirts. The flapping around might get to me, but it is cute. I’m glad I haven’t bought a bondi band. I was thinking about it, but if they don’t work, then I can just save myself some money. πŸ™‚
Ashley recently posted..Party Animal

28 Meghann February 1, 2011 at 9:19 am

I don’t even notice the flapping around when I run. It feels as if I’m wearing regular shorts, but I know everyone had different levels of sensitivities to those type of things, so during races it’s best to stick with what you know. πŸ™‚

29 Amanda (tomboy that wears makeup) January 31, 2011 at 10:06 am

Hey! Nice work on the race! I recently bookmarked your site and I am enjoying it! This weekend..hmmmm, I filmed a commercial at a grocery store. I was cast as “young Mom”. That was fun. Also went to the spa last night with my man- fun too! Monday morning has arrived and I feel like I need A LOT of sleep!
Here’s to a great week;)

Amanda

30 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat January 31, 2011 at 10:07 am

Lovely looking breakfast! My weekend was good – pretty relaxing for the most part but got 2 great spin classes in. Now I’m battling a nasty cough… ugh. Green monsters here I come!
Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat recently posted..Befriending the Treadmill

31 Alaina @ The Jogging Concierge January 31, 2011 at 10:16 am

I had a great weekend! I had a nice dinner with my family in Boston on Saturday night. Sunday afternoon was spent with the inlaws for my mother in laws birthday and Sunday night I went to a concierge anniversary dinner with my sister in law. Fun! πŸ™‚

Looks like you had a great weekend as well! Love the running skirt. πŸ™‚ And I may have to invest in some of those headbands.
Alaina @ The Jogging Concierge recently posted..Saving Face

32 michelle January 31, 2011 at 10:26 am

I ran a quick 5km race on the weekend and worked on school stuff. Not so fun.

33 skinnyrunner January 31, 2011 at 10:28 am

congrats on the race! and looking cute running it too. obviously the most important part….
skinnyrunner recently posted..YOUR DRESS for once it’s not all about me

34 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) January 31, 2011 at 10:51 am

My weekend was good. Lots of homework… but good πŸ™‚

35 Matt @ The Athlete's Plate January 31, 2011 at 10:54 am

Congrats again on the race! Do you have any others planned?
Matt @ The Athlete’s Plate recently posted..Week In Review- 1-24-11-1-30-11

36 Meghann February 1, 2011 at 9:20 am

I have a whole race schedule picked out silly! πŸ˜‰

37 Hope January 31, 2011 at 10:58 am

What a yummy breakfast! I like that it’s purple too, my favorite color πŸ™‚ I had a pretty good weekend. πŸ™‚
Hope recently posted..Catching Up On the Rest of My Weekend…

38 Katy (The Singing Runner) January 31, 2011 at 11:05 am

My weekend was full of school work and a 10 mile run. May not sound fun, but it was low key. πŸ˜€

39 Gavi @ GaviGetsGoing! January 31, 2011 at 11:28 am

Congratulations on your 4th half marathon! I also ran one this weekend, but it was accidental–I went out for a 12-mile long run and ended up messing up my route a little bit. I finished my hilly, trail half marathon in 2 hours exactly! I’m running my second half marathon race next weekend, so this was great preparation. And I totally agree with you about the difference between being well-prepared for a race and “winging it”–sore legs speak volumes! Enjoy your week!
Gavi @ GaviGetsGoing! recently posted..San Francisco days- San Francisco nights

40 Jessica @ The Process of Healing January 31, 2011 at 11:55 am

Mmm.. I haven’t had a smoothie in forever!
Jessica @ The Process of Healing recently posted..It’s Been a While

41 sarah (sarah learns) January 31, 2011 at 11:58 am

waaaah, why isn’t there a pita pit near me? i’ve seen a couple bloggers mention it lately and i so want to try it. πŸ™

congrats again on your half! i like it that you can just “wing it” for a half marathon.
sarah (sarah learns) recently posted..making the leap from knowledge to motivation

42 rebecca lustig January 31, 2011 at 11:59 am

i haven’t had pita pit since i was in pittsburgh! brings me back!

43 Kathleen @ Kat's Health Corner January 31, 2011 at 12:04 pm

I’ve seen those Yoplait Smoothie Mixes in the freezer section before. They look really good! πŸ™‚ I love how you topped it with granol and cocoa nibs! πŸ™‚ I never would have thought to do that. πŸ™‚
Kathleen @ Kat’s Health Corner recently posted..I Am β€œCoco” For β€œChoco-Date Muffins”

44 Lindsey January 31, 2011 at 12:18 pm

I though that was a Target running skirt- I have the same one and I love it!
Lindsey recently posted..up with the sun

45 Mimi January 31, 2011 at 12:33 pm

Sounds like an awesome run! Pita Pit sounds like an awesome source of post-race fuel, too! I love that place!
Mimi recently posted..Coconut butter love

46 Kacy January 31, 2011 at 12:34 pm

Shot blocks are my favorite for long run energy. They’re tasty too!

I’m craving Pita Pit now! Haven’t been there in way too long.
Kacy recently posted..A Healthy Habit Journey- Post 3 from the SIL

47 Victoria January 31, 2011 at 12:38 pm

Hey Meghann,

I have been a reader of your blog for quite some time and must say that I absolutely LOVE it!! When reading this post, I did feel like it was a little rude for you to say you “winged” the half marathon this past weekend. Some people have and may never be able to do such a feat, and the way you made it sound just did not express how great of an experience it can be for some. I did not write this comment to be mean, for I really do love reading your blog, I just wanted to let you know.

Have a great Monday!!

48 Meghann February 1, 2011 at 9:22 am

Sorry Victoria! I didn’t mean for it to sound any less challenging than it actually is. In fact my point of writing that paragraph was to show that simple ‘winging it’ was a stupid idea as my legs were pretty sore yesterday morning. Completing a half marathon is an amazing feat as is running a mile or a 5k. Winging any race is dangerous and I’ll try to emphasize that point next time.

49 Katie V January 31, 2011 at 12:43 pm

Congrats on another great race! I’m another fan of those Shot Bloks. I ran my first half marathon distance this weekend (actually 21.7km) but the race is on the 20th. Those yummy gummy cubes made a big difference.
Katie V recently posted..Running Update 54- The Whole Shebang

50 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey January 31, 2011 at 12:52 pm

Love the running skirt! This weekend we had a big old family party yesterday. It was so much fun.
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..grocery shopping blues- planning

51 Amy January 31, 2011 at 1:13 pm

sorry about the sore leggies…think maybe that long tight car ride home maybe didn’t help….sounds like there wasn’t a ton of space and you got back on the rode pretty quickly after the race!

52 Maren January 31, 2011 at 2:34 pm

We had a pita pit in San Luis Obispo, where I went to college. It’s so tasty. This post makes me miss my grilled chicken pita! πŸ™
Maren recently posted..my ankle says β€œloose! and more Huevos Rancheros”

53 Sara (Miles and Manhattan) January 31, 2011 at 2:49 pm

I’ve always debated running skirts but I tend to just go with what works/the CWX compressions I always run in…
xoxo
s
Sara (Miles and Manhattan) recently posted..chow-dah

54 Paula @ Eat:Watch:Run January 31, 2011 at 2:49 pm

I was wondering about your fuel for the race. Glad you posted this. πŸ™‚ I did the Warrior Dash over the weekend which was a BLAST! πŸ™‚
Paula @ Eat:Watch:Run recently posted..Race Review- Warrior Dash

55 Meghann February 1, 2011 at 9:23 am

I want to do a Warrior Dash so bad! Looks like fun!!