Run Famous

by Meghann on January 29, 2011

Whose ready to rock this run? πŸ˜‰

Whoa! What a day!

Up before the sun. A four hour car ride stuffed in an SUV with 7 other people. Walking all over Miami. An exciting race to look forward to in the morning….

I’m pooped!

Our morning began bright and early at my parents’ house. We had a full house, so my Dad took advantage of the extra mouths to feed (he loves cooking for a crowd!) and made waffles and bacon to fuel us for the day.

I topped mine with fresh strawberries, syrup, and strawberry yogurt.

The drive to Miami went quickly. We stopped for smoothies ( I split a Mango & Pineapple with Kelly), but my camera was buried in luggage.

[Picture a Nature’s Table Cup here]

With every seat taken in the SUV, it was an interesting drive down, but it was much more economical than taking two cars. Saving the $$ on gas and tolls was more than worth the cramped quarters for a few hours.

We made it to Miami around lunch time and headed to Lincoln Road for lunch with my brother and his girlfriend.

They suggested we eat at Books & Books because of their great lunch menu and ample vegetarian options. It was a great suggestions – I believe we were all impressed. πŸ™‚

The table started with a complimentary order of Black Bean Hummus with Matzo Crackers.

Loved the black bean hummus. It was basically mashed black beans, which is perfectly fine by me.

We also had an order of sweet potato fries.

And I ordered the vegan platter which came with a little bit of everything.

I love mixed platter plates like these. I’m an indecisive order, so this allows me to try everything without having to settle on one thing.

The expo was within walking distance of our lunch spot andto say it was a little crowded would be an understatement – this place was packed!

IMG_6182.jpg IMG_6183.jpg IMG_6184.jpg

There’s something about an expo that just brings out the runner in me. All the other runners, all the running memorabilia, and the excitement of knowing a race is happening the next day – it’s just empowering!

IMG_6209.JPG IMG_6210.JPG IMG_6211.JPG

It looks like a great course. Basically we will be starting near the arena then making a circle around south beach and back. It should be a beautiful run filled with lots of beachy scenery.

Of course, we couldn’t be that close to the beach and not pop in for a visit.

Gorgeous. I only wish we had swim suits so we could have joined all the sun bathers in the sand. Now I understand why northerners vacation in Miami during the winter months. Heck, I want visit Miami in the winter months – those 300 miles make a difference temperature wise! πŸ˜‰

One final stop on Lincoln Rd for my Dad’s favorite.

mmmm… salt stix πŸ™‚

It’s a Miami must to have one every time we visit. πŸ˜‰

Thanks to Yelp we were able to locate an Italian Restaurant near my brother’s apartment for a pre-race carb load session.

The table started with bruschetta. Yum!

IMG_4137.JPG IMG_4140.JPG

I ordered what I thought was a simple chicken breast stuffed with cheese and spinach, but it ended up being a greasy mess of butter and cheese.

It tasted ok, but was far to rich to enjoy as a pre-race meal. I had a little less than half of the chicken and potatoes and also had half of a piece of pizza from my brother’s dinner. Next time I’m going to stick with what I know – pizza. You can never go wrong with pizza.

Ok, that’s a lie – but you get my point. πŸ˜‰

We have an EARLY wake up call in the morning (the race starts at 6:00 and it’s going to be a bit of a challenge to get there). Something tells me I’m not going to have any problems falling asleep tonight though.

Wish us luck!

1 Evan Thomas January 29, 2011 at 9:14 pm

That shirt is amazing. I’m convinced I need it.
Good luck tomorrow!

2 mindy @ just a one girl revolution. January 29, 2011 at 9:15 pm

I was in Miami for a few days in October…this makes me miss it a lot!! Good luck tomorrow!!!

3 Raya January 29, 2011 at 9:18 pm

I LOVE that shirt!!! Did you get it?? It’s so cute. Definitely jealous that you got to visit the beach-that’s the one thing Phoenix doesn’t really have!
Raya recently posted..Sleep Habits

4 Sana January 29, 2011 at 9:18 pm

Bhahha! I love the gamin shirt! Rock out tomm!
Sana recently posted..Tuna Kabobs

5 Gabby (Quest for Delicious) January 29, 2011 at 9:19 pm

Pizza is always a good idea. (;
Good luck!
Gabby (Quest for Delicious) recently posted..Tandoori turkey burgers

6 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) January 29, 2011 at 9:20 pm

Hahaha, I love that shirt! Only a runner would think that’s funny πŸ™‚
Kate (What Kate is Cooking) recently posted..Getting Organized- Part Deux

7 RunningOnCoffee January 29, 2011 at 9:22 pm

I love Bolthouse farms drinks! I love the Garmin shirt from the expo…
Your race shirts are nice too. I have a bright orange shirt from the ING Philly Half which actually wasn’t too bad, and I was so excited because it actually had a ‘Small’ option, but it’s a men’s or unisex small, and is still too big. I have one race shirt (Nike dri fit) from a turkey trot that actually fits well because it came in mens/womens sizes.

Your chicken dinner looks fantastic in a rich creamy splurge-dinner kind of way, but I can see that not sitting well the night before a race! Good luck tomorrow!
RunningOnCoffee recently posted..The Hills and Victory

8 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey January 29, 2011 at 9:23 pm

Love the t shirt!! Good luck tomorrow!
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..happy irish woman

9 Toronto Girl West January 29, 2011 at 9:24 pm

That first cafe that you went to looks amazing – very very cool indeed!!!

As for the Miami pictures – there’s a blizzard outside. I’ll trade you! LOL πŸ˜›

Have fun in the race tomorrow – all of you!!!! How exciting that it’s basically a big family event!
Toronto Girl West recently posted..Feeling the Love!

10 Lindsay @ The Lean Green Bean January 29, 2011 at 9:25 pm

topping waffles and pancakes with yogurt is the best thing ever! i like it way better than using syrup! good luck tomorrow!
Lindsay @ The Lean Green Bean recently posted..Pick of the Week- Artichokes

11 Kristy @ KristyRuns January 29, 2011 at 9:26 pm

Good luck tomorrow and have a great time!!! That dinner definitely looks like a no-so-good pre-race meal… Good think your bro is so nice! πŸ™‚
Kristy @ KristyRuns recently posted..Hot Yoga Love

12 Brittaney@ the girl that can't cook January 29, 2011 at 9:34 pm

Good Luck Meghann! Although you don’t need it. I’m running my first marathon tomorrow, rain and thunderstorms are in the forecast so I’m extra nervous. I love that shirt!
Brittaney@ the girl that can’t cook recently posted..I’m ready for this

13 katie January 29, 2011 at 9:35 pm

Good Luck tomorrow to all of you!

Can i just say your dad rocks! He really is the coolest from what I read on here ; )
katie recently posted..Tuna Love Maker

14 Ash Bear January 29, 2011 at 9:36 pm

Good luck!!! You all will have so much fun! Derek is running too, right? πŸ™‚
Ash Bear recently posted..Headway

15 Katy (The Singing Runner) January 29, 2011 at 9:41 pm

Hahaha!!! I love that shirt!

Good luck tomorrow! πŸ˜€

16 Eunice January 29, 2011 at 9:42 pm

I’ll be there tomorrow cheering on a friend. The weather looks like it’s going to be perfect. Good luck!
Eunice recently posted..Life with a BODYBUILDER

17 Kerry January 29, 2011 at 9:43 pm

Have a great time!! Good luck to all the runners. I LOVE running expos too!

18 Emily January 29, 2011 at 9:54 pm

Love the garmin t-shirt. Good luck tomorrow!!
Emily recently posted..New Chapter

19 Patrice @ A New Sweetness January 29, 2011 at 10:03 pm

I love that “pause my garmin” shirt. I hope I can be a good enough runner to wear that one day!

Good luck for tomorrow. Run for all of us!
Patrice @ A New Sweetness recently posted..Hey lazy brain! Get off that chair and exercise!

20 Maryann January 29, 2011 at 10:05 pm

Good luck to you and your fellow runners!!
Maryann recently posted..Blogging From Campus

21 Matt @ The Athlete's Plate January 29, 2011 at 10:05 pm

Good luck tomorrow!
Matt @ The Athlete’s Plate recently posted..Pancake Saturday

22 Jes (Self Motivation) January 29, 2011 at 10:16 pm

I love the Garmin shirt!
Jes (Self Motivation) recently posted..For all the science grad students out there

23 michelle January 29, 2011 at 10:30 pm

Have fun!
Can’t wait to read your race report
michelle recently posted..A bit of a scare

24 natalie @ http://healthybalancingact.blogspot.com/ January 29, 2011 at 10:41 pm

i love that the race bib has your name on it! i have never run a race with my name on the bib. please tell me you bought that shirt.?! good luck with the race, cant wait for your review

25 Kiran January 29, 2011 at 11:00 pm

Good luck runners, am sure you all would rock it huge!! πŸ˜€
Kiran recently posted..Home-made Pumpkin Spiced Chai

26 ezzie January 29, 2011 at 11:05 pm

That shirt is too funny! I hope all of you guys do well on the race! Best of luck~! πŸ˜€
ezzie recently posted..I &lt3 the sea And the food that is in it

27 Melissa @ TryingToHeal January 29, 2011 at 11:11 pm

ah, have fun with the race tomorrow! the course is definitely fun! i loved it last year!

and love books and books! their veg options are absolutely delicious!

28 sarah (sarah learns) January 29, 2011 at 11:17 pm

i love that your brother was sporting a meals & miles shirt, too! πŸ™‚

29 Cate January 29, 2011 at 11:26 pm

Have a great race! πŸ™‚
Cate recently posted..Girls on the Run

30 Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) January 29, 2011 at 11:30 pm

good luck with the race!

i live in san diego near the beach but there is something about east coast beaches that is so beautiful, too! πŸ™‚ love the pics!

31 Kathleen @ Kat's Health Corner January 29, 2011 at 11:31 pm

Your strawberry waffles have me craving strawberries now!!! Thanks. πŸ˜‰

Good luck!!
Kathleen @ Kat’s Health Corner recently posted..I Am β€œCoco” For β€œChoco-Date Muffins”

32 BroccoliHut January 29, 2011 at 11:44 pm

Ha! Love the Garmin shirt:)

Good luck tomorrow!
BroccoliHut recently posted..Now Hiring

33 Amber January 30, 2011 at 12:36 am

Good luck!!!! You are going to rock it! πŸ™‚
Amber recently posted..A warm fire

34 Grace January 30, 2011 at 12:54 am

You’ve been eating some fabulous looking food! I’ve never thought of making black bean hummus…that’s a must try! Good luck tomorrow!
Grace recently posted..No Pictures Please!

35 jassy January 30, 2011 at 5:11 am

an expo like that is so cool…i wish philippines will have something like that although we do have lots of marathon, too πŸ™‚
jassy recently posted..Design

36 Kara January 30, 2011 at 5:52 am

Man, I need to start running more races with expos. I’m always doing small local races that hand out cotton shirts and goldfish crackers πŸ™‚
Kara recently posted..Peanut is displeased

37 Gill (snaxandthecity) January 30, 2011 at 6:15 am

I am a really indecisive orderer too! Best of luck for tomorrow, I’m sure you’ll all do great!

38 Meredith January 30, 2011 at 7:53 am

I’ve had the vegan platter at Books & Books too!!! So yummy! I miss that place a ton!
There was a Villagio right by my apartment too. I told them I was vegan, and they whipped up a yummy pasta for me with like every vegetable they had. It was fantastic! I <3 veggies!
Good luck with your race!
Meredith recently posted..another beautiful morning in paradise

39 Holley January 30, 2011 at 8:40 am

That tshirt was hilarious! Good luck to everyone in the race – weather is going to be great!
Holley recently posted..Cruise!!

40 Kelly January 30, 2011 at 9:28 am

Good luck! I’m with you on the pizza as a pre-race meal. That’s my go-to every time. I totally scouted out all of the pizza places in Orlando before I ran Disney, before settling on a place in Kissimmee. It’s becoming something of a tradition/superstition that I have to eat pizza the night before a race.

41 Caitlin @ TPL January 30, 2011 at 9:36 am

OMG love the Garmin shirt! Looks like you’re having a great time, COMPLETELY jealous of the beach pics =). Best of luck tomorrow, I’m sure you’ll so amazing even with a lousy pre-race dinner!

42 Dina January 30, 2011 at 10:47 am

Love the Garmin shirt! So lucky that the weather has been beautiful this week-end, always nice when that happens.
Dina recently posted..To Gym or not to Gym

43 Amy January 30, 2011 at 10:50 am

hahahahahaha that is the greatest shirt I have ever seen!!!

44 Christine January 30, 2011 at 10:51 am

I love love love that shirt! Hope you rocked your run girl!

45 Ashley January 30, 2011 at 10:59 am

Good luck! You’ll rock it. That chicken looks kind of gross you’re brave for eating half of it before a race.
Ashley recently posted..Party Animal

46 Alayna @ Thyme Bombe January 30, 2011 at 12:03 pm

WANT Garmin shirt! Good luck on your race, the course looks gorgeous!
Alayna @ Thyme Bombe recently posted..Dinner in a Canoe

47 Erika @ Food.Fitness.Fun January 30, 2011 at 12:08 pm

How exciting! I know you’ll do amazing! πŸ™‚
Run fast!
Erika @ Food.Fitness.Fun recently posted..No Flashback Friday

48 Katherine: Unemployed January 30, 2011 at 12:28 pm

the ING here has been taken over by a new race name. glad to see it’s still going somewhere else
Katherine: Unemployed recently posted..Wilbur

49 rebecca lustig January 30, 2011 at 1:04 pm

matzo?! really?! haha seems so random to me!

congrats on this morning

50 Lacey @ Lake Life January 30, 2011 at 1:44 pm

Those beach shots make me so jealous! It’s snowy and cold here πŸ™

P.S. Why choose chicken stuffed with cheese and spinach to “carb load”?
Lacey @ Lake Life recently posted..Organization is Godliness

51 kristi (sweet cheeks) January 30, 2011 at 2:25 pm

good luck!!!
kristi (sweet cheeks) recently posted..Oatmeal how-to

52 Mindy January 30, 2011 at 3:08 pm

That Garmin shirt was hilarious! I’ll have to find that somewhere..

Good luck at the race!
Mindy recently posted..Moo cows

53 Sarah January 30, 2011 at 3:17 pm

They were at Books & Books on the latest episode of Basketball Wives. I thought of you.

54 Lauren @Hungry Dancer January 30, 2011 at 3:33 pm

Crammed car rides can sometimes be fun! Good luck at the race!!
Lauren @Hungry Dancer recently posted..Cocktails

55 melissa (fitnessnyc) January 30, 2011 at 4:18 pm

I love that cafe, I went last time I was in SoBe! Good Luck!
melissa (fitnessnyc) recently posted..Stonyfield Winner!

56 Ali @ Ali Runs January 30, 2011 at 8:38 pm

I have never been to a big expo like that, so I would totally have geeked out when I got in there and bought everything. (I have a compulsive shopping problem!) I would love to live in Miami’s weather and get out of this snow we have in the North!!
Ali @ Ali Runs recently posted..Let’s Talk About Friends

57 Juani January 31, 2011 at 8:33 am

The saying on that shirt had me laughing so hard,I snorted some coffee up my nose (by accident).

PS. would your parents be interested in adopting a full grown woman?Because your Dad makes the yummiest foods,I love it!

58 Rachel @ EatMoreMeatLess January 31, 2011 at 9:28 am

Loved your re-cap of Miami! I live here and wanted to know where your dad gets the salt sticks from – they look delicious!! Please tell me πŸ™‚

59 Rachel @ EatMoreMeatLess January 31, 2011 at 9:29 am

Actually – after looking at the pictures…it looks like Epicure Market!
Rachel @ EatMoreMeatLess recently posted..A hiking adventure…

60 Nathalie January 31, 2011 at 10:16 pm

Congrats on completing ING Miami. I was supposed to run this race myself but I got injured (torn right calf muscle), however i’m on the mend & have started running again. I did go to the expo before the race and I saw you. I wanted to say hi but I got nervous & I didn’t want to bother you.

I really love your blog and it’s always a joy to read about all your adventures. You’ve been such an inspiration to me that i’m considering starting my own blog about my running journey…any tips?

Thanks.