more ยป" />

Eat Your Colors

by Meghann on January 28, 2011

We’ve been really lucky this week as far as weather is concerned in Central Florida. A nice cool breeze, a big blue sky, and tons of sunshine to take gorgeous pictures of food.

Especially colorful food! I mean look at this place. Doesn’t it scream ‘eat your colors?’

Cherries are at the peak of their season right now and just bursting with a flavor and sweetness.

The broccoli was microwaved slightly to give a mushy texture.

And the pickle is from a new jar that I just ‘had to’ break into.

Beautiful, colorful and delicious!

Of course, none of that can compare to leftover pizza from last night.

Want to know a little secret? That gorgeous yellow yolk? It’s cooked all the way through!

A lot of people were leaving comments last night about the ‘runny yolk’ on the pizza. Well, I don’l like runny yolk either! By baking the egg on top of the pizza the yolk cooks all the way through so you do not have to worry about runny yolks. And if you like runny yolks? Well, that’s something you’ll have to figure out on your own. ;)

I set up shop at Dandelion Cafe this afternoon and bought one of their fresh out of the oven Vegan Chocolate Brownies with every intention of only eating half.

IMAG0475.jpg

Umm…. yeah.

IMAG0476.jpg

It was still warm! I have no will power when it comes to warm brownies! Nor should I. ;) That brownie was good – I have no shame.

Next week I’m going to implement a ‘coffee shop’ budget. I’m going to go broke office hopping!

What do you think? $15 a week? That’s a LOT cheaper than office space if you ask me! :)

1 Amanda January 28, 2011 at 2:14 pm

Those plates bring back so many memories. (The brownie plate) My grandmother had them. $15 a week sounds good…sign up for a Panera Card (they have them in Orlando, right?) Free wifi, not fun and cute like some of your other places, but if you buy enough things there they pay you back with free drinks.

2 Allie January 28, 2011 at 2:51 pm

My family ate off those plates when I was growing up too!

3 Callie January 28, 2011 at 2:14 pm

Please bring your pregnant friend some of those cherries. And one of those brownies. Mmmmk, thanks.

4 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) January 28, 2011 at 2:17 pm

I love runny yolks, actually :) I’ve never eaten just half of anything… especially not a brownie!

5 Stacy @ Every Little Thing January 28, 2011 at 2:23 pm

$15 a week isn’t so bad! And that’s crazy the yolk cooked through. Never seen that happen before!

6 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat January 28, 2011 at 2:24 pm

Oh wow, that brownie is making me daydream about brownies!!! Love the colours of your lunch. Sometimes I add things to my lunch just because they’re a particular colour and I can’t stand to eat a ‘beige meal’. Have a great afternoon! :)

7 Kasey @ thisbodyismyhome January 28, 2011 at 2:38 pm

One thing I do to cut back on the amount of money I spend is to order tea and reuse the tea bags by refilling it with hot water once I’m done! Tea is usually a lot cheaper than anything else on the menu and this cuts the cost in half :)

8 Hope January 28, 2011 at 2:42 pm

That brownie looks amazing! I totally want something chocolate right now. Mmm..! So yummy! I love cherries too! I hope I can find some that are on sale at the supermarket!

9 Lish January 28, 2011 at 2:50 pm

Yeah, that brownie makes me wish I liked brownies. Looks so yummy!

I think $15 a week is totally reasonable. I have a friend who opened a little cafe after college and her biggest pet peeve is someone who camps out working and doesn’t buy anything. Of course she’s in a college town so this happens quite frequently with students.

10 Natalie @ Will Jog For Food January 28, 2011 at 2:51 pm

I like the idea of a coffee shop office :) I would definitely NEVER be able to eat half a brownie.

11 Sara (Miles and Manhattan) January 28, 2011 at 2:56 pm

still can’t get over the awesomness of the egg pizza :) and i loveee colorful meals..
xoxo
s

12 Kim @ girlevolving January 28, 2011 at 3:00 pm

Warm brownies are heaven!!!

So was the yolk like a hardboiled egg? I’m intrigued to try this.

13 Jen January 28, 2011 at 3:00 pm

Love colorful meals like this, and I’m crazy jealous over your sunshine! Love the egg on the pizza, awesome idea!

14 Jaclyn January 28, 2011 at 3:04 pm

Yeah $15 a week is only $3 a day – I think that sounds good! Wow that brownie looks amazing! YUM!

15 Allison @ PickyEatingRD January 28, 2011 at 3:07 pm

$15 a week is not bad at all!!! I know people who work from coffee shops who budget $10 a day!!!!

That yolk looks sooo weird!

16 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday January 28, 2011 at 3:11 pm

Who doesn’t like a runny yolk? Yum

17 Erica January 28, 2011 at 3:14 pm

Beautiful plate :) A pickle completes any meal (in my opinion!!). I’ve been seeing eggs on pizza all over the plate. I gotta try this. I hope you have a wonderful weekend in Miami!

18 D January 28, 2011 at 3:15 pm

I think the tactic to eating/drinking while working away at a coffee shop (I’m at Borders right now!) is to balance your purchases. If you’re buying a lunch or snack, keep the drink simple (black coffee, plain tea, water – or bring your own tea bag and get some hot water). If you feel like spending a little more for a latte or fancier drink (or you’re going to get several drinks if you’re there for a few hours, like I usually do), then pack your own snacks.

Also I know you have been enjoying the smaller, independent places, but I find that if you work/study/whatever at bigger places (like Borders, Starbucks, Barnes and Noble, etc.) then it’s more economical because they tend to have customer/reward/frequency cards. For example, for every 4 drinks I buy at Borders, I get a free one! I also can use my store card to get points that earn me coupons towards books. At B&N, you can use your store card and get 10% off every drink/purchase. And at Starbucks, if you register a gift card then you get free soy/free refills on black coffee/free syrup pumps/extra shots. So if you know you’ll be at Starbucks one week, load 10 bucks onto a gift card for yourself and register it online, and you’ll save SO MUCH if you always get little extras. The card also used to give you free wifi but I think that might be a general thing now.

19 Deva (Voracious Vorilee) January 28, 2011 at 8:06 pm

This is a good suggestion, and you may want to see if the small, local shops have a similar program. One of the coffee shops in my hometown has a reward program with a card where you can earn free drinks, and even free bags of beans!

20 Allison @ OneWhiteTulip January 29, 2011 at 9:21 am

Meghann, I was about to suggest the same thing about Starbucks! You seem to be a tea drinker…you get free tea refills once you’ve bought 5 drinks using your card!

You also get free drinks on your b-day from Starbucks and a free drink every 15 or so…

21 Matt January 28, 2011 at 3:16 pm

I LOVE a runny yolk! I have no idea how you eat them hard…

22 Kacy January 28, 2011 at 3:17 pm

I hate runny yolks! That’s why I love them baked.

I had some cherries earlier this week, they are really good right now.

23 Rachel January 28, 2011 at 3:21 pm

Have you considered working at libraries? Most have free wifi, and some are beautiful inside and have lovely views. When I was studying for the bar exam I alternated between coffee shops and libraries in order to save a little money without losing focus.

24 D January 28, 2011 at 3:24 pm

That’s such a good idea! I always forget about studying at the library (I mean really how could I forget…what a novel concept…duh.) until I’m there getting some books or magazines for fun and then I wish I’d brought my laptop and school books. You’re right, some of them are REALLY nice inside. My school one isn’t great but the local one is nice and spacious and has a cute cafe in it too.

25 kate January 29, 2011 at 5:57 pm

The bargain hunter in me loves this idea!

26 Eliz@The Sweet Life January 28, 2011 at 3:27 pm

Wowie-beautiful meals!

27 fitterthanchoc January 28, 2011 at 3:32 pm

I love the colors! It makes it so picture perfect! I used to study in coffee shops, and I can never stand eating half the brownie. I’d probably end up staring at the other half of the brownie left on the plate every other minute. Yep…for a good brownie, there’s absolutely no shame:0

28 Amanda @ Eating Up January 28, 2011 at 3:37 pm

I would have eaten the whole brownie too!

29 Katy (The Singing Runner) January 28, 2011 at 3:41 pm

Mmmm that brownie makes me want to drive down to Orlando and get one right now. ;)

30 Jenna @ Eating Green, Staying Lean January 28, 2011 at 3:43 pm

Oohhh, coffee budgeting is tough, especially since you’re going to be working at a lot of cofee shops. (For me it’s mostly because I just love coffee, hah). $15 sounds like a good starting number, it’d be worth it to try for a week and then adjust from there!

31 Heather @ Side of Sneakers January 28, 2011 at 3:44 pm

I started asking for coffee shop gift cards for every holiday–then it’s free;)

32 Stacey (The Habit of Healthy) January 28, 2011 at 3:50 pm

I envy people who can eat only half of baked goods. Like you, I cannot so I just make sure that I enjoy and savour every single bite.

33 Kelly January 28, 2011 at 3:53 pm

I love that the Dandelion Cafe uses those Corelle plates. I have the whole set from my Grandmother and use them every day. I didn’t think they were around anymore , especially at a cafe.

34 Ashley January 28, 2011 at 3:57 pm

Oh be still my brownie lovin’ heart. It looks so delicious.

35 Allie January 28, 2011 at 3:58 pm

I have those plates!!! So weird! Your brownie looks DELISH :)

36 Angela January 28, 2011 at 4:06 pm

I am the worst at eating only have of something! I will tell myself that I’m going to eat half, I will split the food in half eat it and then I will keep thinking about that other half and finally break down and eat it!

37 Christin@purplebirdblog January 28, 2011 at 4:11 pm

I love runny yolks, but that cooked yolk looks great too! As does that brownie… who needs willpower when there are so many delicious brownies to be eaten?! ;)

38 Gwen January 28, 2011 at 4:22 pm

My grandparents had the dish set that your brownie was on. So nostalgic! :)

39 Jenn L @ Peas and Crayons January 28, 2011 at 4:37 pm

Ohmygosh I have that plate! =) Its my absolute favorite!

and food should always be colorful – good job! <3 gorgeous

40 Kristin January 28, 2011 at 4:45 pm

Meghann, you should see if there are any co-working spaces near you. My office is actually one, and it offers work space, wi-fi, use of a conference room and mini kitchen. Ours has no charge; some will have a small charge. We love it because interesting people are always coming and going, and if course the co-workers (mostly web-based businesses or entrepreneurs) love it because it’s a free work space!

41 Kelly January 28, 2011 at 4:50 pm

Weird to know that those plates have made their memories in people’s minds. I actually have a set of those exact dishes that my grandma used to use all the time. (And yes, we still use them!)

Along with the Panera card, Starbucks has a card as well. It acts like a giftcard (you put money on it) but then you get a star (star – wow, I just got it) for each drink you buy and then you get incentives when you reach certain levels. When I get a tea, the refills are free now :)

42 Caroline January 28, 2011 at 5:03 pm

You could also look for public libraries. They’d be free and (should) have free wi-fi. :)

43 C. January 28, 2011 at 5:06 pm

i am dying for a brownie now!

And I must remember the egg next time i make pizza, looks awesome!

44 Grace January 28, 2011 at 5:15 pm

Love your colorful plate! I want some of those cherries, now! And the brownie from Dandelion looks so yummy! I’ve enjoyed one of either ‘oreo’ cupcakes before and it was delish!

45 Holly @ Couch Potato Athlete January 28, 2011 at 5:28 pm

I would rather have the yolk runny — nothing is better than a runny yolk!

I second the idea of working in a library — or else buy a gift card from a coffee shop and when you’re out of money, you have to work at home for the rest of the week.

46 Bridget C. Rudd January 28, 2011 at 6:06 pm

The pizza didn’t intrigue at first, because I dislike runny yolks. But, after clarification, that sounds awesome! The Japanese are big fans of runny yolks, or even raw eggs-something I’ve never been able to get used to.

I agree with some of the other commenters that $15/week is a good starting point. You can always adjust as you need to.

47 Jess (Daly Authenticity) January 28, 2011 at 6:37 pm

MMM, love colorful plates! And honestly, I love the fact that you went for the whole brownie. Sometimes, you gotta live it up!

$15/ week is perfectly fair! I can imagine it would be tempting to spend a lot more! But I also know that working completely from home is difficult, and sometimes you need to work in other places!

48 Alaina January 28, 2011 at 6:43 pm

I think $3 a day seems reasonable for coffee! Do you have a separate budget for pastries? ;-)

I am so jealous of the light you’ve been getting. I live in an apartment that faces northwest so my lighting is not the best. Hoping the next place has better orientation!

49 Gill (snaxandthecity) January 28, 2011 at 6:52 pm

i dont like runny yolks either!!

50 Emily January 28, 2011 at 7:27 pm

I love the random and colorful lunch :) The idea of egg on pizza definitely appeals to me. So jealous that you Floridians have fresh cherries…winter veggies are getting old!

51 *Andrea* January 28, 2011 at 7:45 pm

$15/wk is not bad at all!! i pay $7 to park in the garage + $2 each way on the subway! and then at least 1 tank of gas…. that’s at least $100/wk just to get to work boooo.

that pizza idea is genius!

52 Deva (Voracious Vorilee) January 28, 2011 at 8:11 pm

I like the $15/week budget – it means you have to think about what you are getting. I normally get just a black coffee, but sometimes I want a splurge :-)

53 Lindsey January 28, 2011 at 8:51 pm

$15 a week seems very reasonable! I used to spend at least $25-$30 a week on coffee and cutting back was harder than it should have been :)

54 Stephanie @ The Travelling Tastebuds January 28, 2011 at 8:55 pm

Oh my gosh… I am also self-employed… and I spend a TON of money at coffee shops. It’s hard not to… it’s all part of the coffee experience :)

55 Holly @ Rust Belt Runner January 28, 2011 at 9:34 pm

Newbie reader here! Try getting tea…. you don’t feel guilty about sitting in a coffee shop and not buying anything and you don’t feel guilty about buying a $5 coffee!

56 kristin January 28, 2011 at 10:19 pm

I think using a coffee shop for your office is fine when you’re going to large cafes which are corporate owned… but if you’re going to small independent ones, I think you should shell out more than $3 a day- especially if you’re staying for over 2 hours. I work in a locally owned cafe which can seat about 50 people at a time (seems like a lot, but seats are in high demand and a lot of people aren’t willing to share tables). We are often full, and I can tell you that the only thing worse than the person who tries to hide in the corner to use the free wi-fi without ordering anything, is the person who gets the cheapest thing on the menu and nurses it for 6 hours straight while hogging a table. Get at least one more drink or a snack halfway through your stint, or tip us a buck, and we won’t care. If there aren’t seats available, potential customers will leave, so we obviously prefer that the customers taking up the seats are paying customers. I hope this doesn’t come off as harsh, but it’s tough to be an independent coffee shop- you might identify with that as you’re making your way on your own. I would say $5 a day at minimum is reasonable- that’s still a great deal on an ‘office.’

57 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey January 28, 2011 at 10:30 pm

I think $15 a week is doable! If you’re working 5 days, that’s $3 a day which is enough to get a big ole coffee – definitely not a specialty drink though!

58 Arlene @ Adventures in Weight Loss January 29, 2011 at 2:31 am

$15 a week sounds about right. I load my Starbucks gold card with $20 each payday, and probably spend another $5-$10 in cash. I head there at least 3x a week and usually get a giant iced tea … and sometimes a pastry. Sometimes I have some of my “allowance” leftover, so it carries through (and then I splurge on something more expensive).

59 Meredith January 29, 2011 at 9:33 am

oh yes, it is way too easy to spend too much money on coffee! you probably already know this, but if you get a starbucks card and register it online you get free soy milk and syrups, and also free refills on hot coffee and iced tea . . . those savings really add up!

60 Kathleen @ Kat's Health Corner January 29, 2011 at 1:12 pm

Warm brownines are to dies for!!! No way, I have the same plate that your brownie was on! :)

61 Carrie January 29, 2011 at 4:15 pm

I read your blog daily and I always see you eating tons of veggies. I was inspired and just filled my fridge with tons of fruits and veggies to snack on and incorporate into meals.

I also have been inspired to start my own blog from reading all of your posts. Thanks so much for inspiring me to eat healthy!

Also, the plate you have your bownie on brings back memories from childhood as we had those dishes at home when I was little.

62 Lorin January 29, 2011 at 8:55 pm

I had that problem once too when I went to my favorite coffee shop to do homework. I got an espresso bomb (chocolate cookie with espresso and chocoalte chip cookies, but it’s actually pretty small) and a chocolate macaroon. I felt a little sick after that, but it was so good. :)

63 Katie January 30, 2011 at 10:41 am

Cherries aren’t in season until summer! The ones you are eating are probably from Chili as it’s too cold in the states for them yet.