Applesauce Love

by Meghann on January 27, 2011

Good Morning!

Here’s what went through my head on my run this morning:

“Four miles. All I need is four miles. No big deal.”

“Heck I’m feeling pretty good. I wonder if I can go for five.”

“Gosh it’s pretty out. I hope the weather is like this for the half marathon on Sunday.”

“Hmmm… if I turn here it will be five, but if I keep going straight I can get six in.”

“I’m going for six. Watch out!”

My little brother started chatting with me last night about the half marathon on Sunday. He’s really, really excited. His training runs are going great and he has gained a good amount of speed since the Space Coast Half Marathon in November.

I know he isn’t going to have any problem breaking two hours. Now, I’m just hoping I can keep up! He has already warned me he plans to sprint the last two miles. Something tells me he isn’t joking either.

My breakfast this morning was a flashback to when I didn’t like yogurt.

Yes, there was once a time I didn’t like yogurt (it’s an acquired taste for me) and I’ve never been a fan of milk in any form ( <– not sure I can get over that one, I’ve tried!). However, I LOVE cereal and needed a way to moisten it.

I’m not 100% sure how I came up with the idea, but somewhere along the way I started adding applesauce to my morning bowl of cereal.

Yes, applesauce on cereal and yes, it’s delicious.

Eventually I became a fan of yogurt on cereal and the rest is history, but I still love it every once in a while. Like this morning, with more apple, Kashi GO Lean, granola, and cinnamon.

Mmmm… delicious. It’s even better when you mix the applesauce with peanut butter and warm it for a bit. Now THAT combination is delicious. πŸ™‚

What’s your favorite ‘out there’ breakfast topping or combination? I’m always up for trying new things!

1 Kara January 27, 2011 at 9:59 am

I love your brother’s plan of sprinting for the last 2 miles, that’s generally my plan too πŸ™‚
Kara recently posted..Who needs baby toys

2 Evan Thomas January 27, 2011 at 10:00 am

I just can’t get in to applesauce in anything. I feel like a toddler again.

3 Sarah @ goingongoals January 27, 2011 at 10:01 am

I love chocolate and peanut flour in my morning oatmeal. There is something about chocolate in the morning that starts my day off right!
Sarah @ goingongoals recently posted..Snow- BodyPump- Tofu and Training

4 Stacy @ Every Little Thing January 27, 2011 at 10:01 am

Yogurt was definitely an acquired taste for me as well. Even now I have to eat it with granola or I don’t like it. I think it’s texture. Regardless, I adore milk and actually have to cut myself off from drinking too much haha. With all the new milk info out (I don’t think adults really need milk, to be honest), I’ve cut back greatly but still have some with my morning cereal, and sometimes with a spoonful of peanut butter πŸ™‚
Stacy @ Every Little Thing recently posted..Turkey Veggie Pie and Rings

5 Mimi January 27, 2011 at 10:03 am

I do like applesauce, but I’m more content with yogurt and milk with my cereal!

I did go through a phase last year, though, where I mixed applesauce and cottage cheese with a little maple syrup. Sounds gross, but it was surprisingly delicious!
Mimi recently posted..School rules my life

6 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday January 27, 2011 at 10:03 am

If you warm up a banana in the microwave and then mush it up and add cereal it has a similar effect. Yum.

7 kristy @ kristyruns.com January 27, 2011 at 10:03 am

Genius! I don’t eat yogurt so this is a perfect idea! Yessss! Especially with warm pb! Mmmmm. πŸ™‚
kristy @ kristyruns.com recently posted..Hot Yoga Love

8 Tricia January 27, 2011 at 10:08 am

I used to eat my oats all the time with applesauce, blueberries, and cinnamon. Then I got into adding peanut butter to it, nixed the applesauce, and never looked back!

9 Hope January 27, 2011 at 10:09 am

That looks so good! I never know what to add on my oats for breakfast. I really like adding peanut butter. That is one of my favorites. πŸ™‚
Hope recently posted..4 Degrees &amp Spinach- Tomato &amp Mozzarella Stuffed Chicken…

10 Katie January 27, 2011 at 10:17 am

Looking at my breakfasts, you might think I was pregnant (but I swear I’m not!) Last week I was trying to “beef” up my oatmeal… So I added some white cannelinni beans in the layer between oats/yogurt. And I ran out of a bit of cereal to throw on top for some crunch… That’s when peanuts entered the mix.
(I know it’s normal to use pecans/walnuts/etc on oatmeal, but for some reason, peanuts had never entered my bowl.)

I don’t know if I just have a highly unsophisticated taste pallete… but I absolutely loved that bowl! So many textures! And the beans were relatively tasteless, but I definitely noticed that it kept me fuller longer than my “normal” (whatever *that* means) bowl. :-p

11 Erika @ Food.Fitness.Fun January 27, 2011 at 10:18 am

Congrats on your 4-miler-turned-6-miler! You’ll do awesome at the half marathon! πŸ™‚
Erika @ Food.Fitness.Fun recently posted..Hitting The Books…Hard!

12 Eliz@The Sweet Life January 27, 2011 at 10:19 am

I love almost all bkfst foods–and the more toppings/mix-ins the better!!!
Eliz@The Sweet Life recently posted..Oatmeal Wheat Bread and Life Lessons

13 Amanda @ Eating Up January 27, 2011 at 10:25 am

Applesauce is no bueno for me. I prefer plain yogurt all the way now!
Amanda @ Eating Up recently posted..Food for Thought

14 Biz January 27, 2011 at 10:26 am
15 Michelle January 27, 2011 at 10:27 am

Brown rice (cooked), apples, chia seeds, PB…..heat up, then add some cinnamon and stir. DELICIOUS!!!! πŸ™‚

16 Paula @ Eat:Watch:Run January 27, 2011 at 10:35 am

I LOVE those runs where you feel like you can do more. They totally make you forget about the ones where you wanted to do 6 miles but you ended up doing 2.
Paula @ Eat:Watch:Run recently posted..Three Things Thursday

17 Ali @ Ali Runs January 27, 2011 at 10:37 am

Usually when I plan to run I only run the mileage I have set. But there have been a few times when I started out in a really bad mood and just kept running. It can be so therapeutic in times like that. πŸ™‚
Ali @ Ali Runs recently posted..5K Race Recap

18 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat January 27, 2011 at 10:37 am

I couldn’t stand yogurt as a kid but I love it now!! My favourite combo for oats is diced apples and walnuts with cinnamon, but applesauce would probably do a good job too! πŸ™‚
Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat recently posted..Bloggers and a buffet

19 rebecca lustig January 27, 2011 at 10:48 am

i’m not a milk or yogurt fan either unless it’s fully hidden under cereal/granola/etc… yet i LOVE frozen yogurt/ice cream…. not sure how that one worked

20 Brittany January 27, 2011 at 10:49 am

try canned pumpkin with applesauce. or microwave a power bar for it to taste like a hot brownie or cookie. πŸ™‚
Brittany recently posted..Hump day Shmump day

21 michelle January 27, 2011 at 10:50 am

I love yogurt topped with some blueberries and sliced almonds or walnuts. mmmm!
michelle recently posted..Sunday Funday

22 @stampylisa January 27, 2011 at 10:53 am

we used to use Dole’s Pine/Orange/Banana juice in our cereal. this works awesome w/any granola or the Great Grains w/the dates & pecans (if they still make that) Try that for a different taste. Not a ton, just enough to wet it down mmmmm

23 Courtney @ The Granola Chronicles January 27, 2011 at 10:59 am

It’s not out of the ordinary, but I could eat honey on anything!

24 Stephanie January 27, 2011 at 11:00 am

Overnight oats but with applesauce is also good. Especially if you use a natural chunky applesauce (1c) and oats (1/2c) just mix and put int he fridge overnight. top with anything. goodness.

25 Katy (The Singing Runner) January 27, 2011 at 11:01 am

Looks great! I love applesauce with…well almost anything! πŸ˜€

26 Natalie @ Will Jog For Food January 27, 2011 at 11:19 am

YAY! I finally found another milk hater, hahahaha.

I can only drink chocolate milk, and i think it’s gross to put milk in cereal. I basically only use it for sauces.
Natalie @ Will Jog For Food recently posted..Wizarding World of Harry Potter

27 Callie January 27, 2011 at 11:19 am

I am so glad you clued me in to this wonderful combination. I especially love granola in my applesauce now!
Callie recently posted..Workout Hiatus

28 sarah (sarah learns) January 27, 2011 at 11:24 am

apple sauce with cereal – genius! i don’t do anything too crazy with my breakfast toppings. but really, nutella on anything is delicious.
sarah (sarah learns) recently posted..recipe- veggie β€œfried” rice

29 Lisa @ Healthy Diaries January 27, 2011 at 11:46 am

I’ll have to keep applesauce in mind whenever I run out of milk!
Thanks! =)
Lisa @ Healthy Diaries recently posted..Sometimes You Just Need to Push Yourself

30 Whitney @ Mylife.Myheart.MyJourney. January 27, 2011 at 11:51 am

I love applesauce!! Never thought to mix it with Peanut Butter!

31 Kacy January 27, 2011 at 11:53 am

I love when runs are that easy that you just have to keep going!
Kacy recently posted..Soup

32 Cynthia January 27, 2011 at 12:19 pm

I have never tried applesauce with cereal before, but that looks really good! I have tried yogurt a handful of times and I don’t really care for it. I am going to buy some Greek yogurt again so I can learn to love it.

33 Ashley January 27, 2011 at 12:23 pm

unsweetened yogurt was an acquired taste for me but i never had difficulties eating the brightly color sugar filled kind πŸ™‚ I can’t think of anything odd that I eat, but most people would probably disagree to that.

34 Kelly January 27, 2011 at 12:24 pm

I really love coconut butter on smoothies.
Kelly recently posted..The good side of calorie counting

35 Khushboo January 27, 2011 at 12:31 pm

I live in Mumbai which means I read your morning posts right before I go to bed. They always get me so pumped for my pre-work run/gym session the next morning. I currently have some overnight oats sitting in the fridge and waiting to be topped with granola, strawberries, peanut butter and almonds. That’s as ‘crazy ‘ as I get πŸ™‚

36 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) January 27, 2011 at 12:47 pm

I love applesauce in place of milk too! I don’t like milk either. I don’t know why, it just grosses me out!
Kate (What Kate is Cooking) recently posted..Getting Organized- Part Deux

37 Natalia@ The Health Script January 27, 2011 at 12:58 pm

This exact same thing happened to me a few days ago. I was only planning on doing 4 but I was having so much fun I kept telling myself just one more mile. I ended up doing 7! πŸ™‚
Natalia@ The Health Script recently posted..Dogs Dogs Dogs

38 Kiran January 27, 2011 at 1:16 pm

I love love love raspberry sauce. It’s so flavorful and delicious on oats or cereals πŸ™‚
Kiran recently posted..Home-made Pumpkin Spiced Chai

39 Sara (Miles and Manhattan) January 27, 2011 at 1:31 pm

can’t WAIT until it’s nice enough to run outside again (well for me, i’m a weenie)…until then, i will ‘run’ vicariously through you πŸ™‚
xoxo
s
Sara (Miles and Manhattan) recently posted..GYM Pet Peeves…

40 emily January 27, 2011 at 1:38 pm

That’s so funny! I marked applesauce on my grocery list (to eat with cereal during a vegan month challenge) right before I read this post! Great minds and all…. πŸ™‚
emily recently posted..Late Morning Wake-Up Call

41 Lauren @Hungry Dancer January 27, 2011 at 1:39 pm

I would have never thought to mix cereal with applesauce!! Great idea, I need to try it!
Lauren @Hungry Dancer recently posted..Dancing With Myself

42 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey January 27, 2011 at 1:42 pm

I’ve never liked milk either, so I looove almond milk! It’s my favorite!

43 Emily @ Savory and Savage January 27, 2011 at 1:46 pm

I really enjoy all your posts about your training runs – it makes me want to start back to running. Hmmm the Big Sur Half Marathon is in a mere 10 months – if I start training now… πŸ™‚
Emily @ Savory and Savage recently posted..Pancake love

44 Fallon January 27, 2011 at 2:36 pm

Recently I took ricotta cheese and mixed it with applesauce, then I topped it with cereals, almond butter drizzle and shredded coconut. It was divine! I’m thinking some chocolate chips or raisins would of been a good topper too.
Fallon recently posted..Cactus

45 Lish January 27, 2011 at 3:12 pm

My cousin had a dairy allergy and never liked any alternatives for his cereal except applesauce. I tried it once and couldn’t believe how good it was with most cereals. I love my cereal and yogurt combo because it adds more bulk to my breakfast to keep me fuller longer.

Now warm peanut butter? That’s something I can’t do. I love peanut butter (all nut butters, really) but warm it up and I find it disgusting.

46 Christin@purplebirdblog January 27, 2011 at 3:31 pm

I like baking with applesauce, but not eating it so much. Peanut butter on cereal is a necessity for me though!
Christin@purplebirdblog recently posted..Annoying!

47 Alaina January 27, 2011 at 6:51 pm

I do love adding a splash of almond milk with regular yogurt onto my cereal. Then add raisins and almonds.
Alaina recently posted..It’s a Hard Rock Life

48 briana January 27, 2011 at 7:48 pm

I mash a whole ripe banana and add pumpkin and plain greek yogurt and top with cereal raisins apples and pb…not weird but it’s a mess of stuff!

49 Kathleen @ Kat's Health Corner January 27, 2011 at 9:37 pm

Have you ever tried Nutritional Yeast in your oats? I actually like it. πŸ™‚
Kathleen @ Kat’s Health Corner recently posted..I Am β€œCoco” For β€œChoco-Date Muffins”

50 Sana January 28, 2011 at 12:52 am

Mummm! Does syrup count? Lol I just love it too much!
Sana recently posted..Tuna Kabobs

51 Katie G (http://justrollwithitblog.blogspot.com) January 28, 2011 at 2:41 pm

I also made myself like yogurt, and oatmeal (things I never had growing up as a kid). I’m not a milk fan, so anything dairy is tough for me to Learn to Like…I am still working on Greek Yogurt…it tastes so bitter and I’m not a fan of the texture, but I know I’ll get there one day! Applesauce on cereal is a great idea! I put applesauce in my oatmeal and it really adds a lot.!
Katie G (http://justrollwithitblog.blogspot.com) recently posted..Inspiration