Project Move & Mix: Our First Compromise

by Meghann on January 26, 2011

Derek and I have been relatively easy going with the idea of moving in together. We both have similar taste and expectations on what needs to be done and have been in agreement in what goes and what stays.

Well, almost in agreement.

Meet Derek’s Guy Harvey Print.

What I want: Well, in an ideal world I would love to remove this piece of artwork from the condo completely. It’s a very large piece of art and the idea of designing our future living room around green and yellow fish is not a pleasant one. I have fears of turning our comfy, homey living room into a fishing/ hunting/ manly motif. Though that may be a great fit for some, it’s not my style.

What Derek wants: He would like the print to stay put. Derek’s parents purchased the print for his birthday last year and – much to my dismay – he is a huge Guy Harvey fan. He was actually giddy with excitement as he picked out exactly which print he wanted and couldn’t wait for it to arrive so he could frame it. That print is Derek’s pride and joy.

Our compromise: Derek still finds trouble in seeing this as a ‘compromise’ as he was holding his foot pretty firm on having the print stay in the living room, but eventually we both agreed moving the print to the bedroom would be the best solution. It’s still in the house, but is no longer the first thing people see when they walk in. Eventually our hope would be to move this print to a ‘man cave’ of sorts or, you know, donate it to Goodwill (Kidding Derek!!!!), but for now the bedroom is a perfect home for it. :)

Has anyone else had to make similar compromises when moving in with a significant other? What was the compromise?

(Derek loves his print, any ridiculous comments may be moderated)

1 Jessica January 26, 2011 at 12:45 pm

When I moved in with Ryan he had a bunch of dude stuff on the wall. All gone. BUT we kept it in his room. Luckily, we have two bedrooms – I have “my room” and he has “his room” even though we usually sleep in his, it’s nice to have my things in that room so I don’t totally feel lost.

2 Kristy @ KristyRuns January 26, 2011 at 12:47 pm

Ouch! Ummm…I think moving that pic out of sight is a good idea [sorry, Derek!] :) I think moving it into the bedroom is a great idea: it’s still up [his choice] but in a different location [your choice]. Look at y’all compromising! You two are so good together!

3 suki @ [Super Duper Fantastic] January 26, 2011 at 12:47 pm

That’s actually a very nice print. I could see my bf and I agreeing to something like that. In terms of compromise in design of our place, we both make suggestions and either veto or love the ideas. ;) It’s been pretty easy living with the bf this past year.

4 Lindsay @ The Lean Green Bean January 26, 2011 at 12:47 pm

guy style can be tough :) whenever my hubby wants something I hate, I tell him he can get it but it has to go in the basement ;)

5 Andrea January 26, 2011 at 12:50 pm

Yes, we have two flat screen TVs and my fiancé wanted both of them on the wall. Me…not so much. For me it’s a lose-lose, you either see the cords dangling down (ugly!) or you have create giants holes in the wall to drop the cords behind (what if I don’t want the TV in that spot forever?) so on the wall they did NOT go, but instead we bought TV stands that are suspended higher on a pole of sorts. The TV is high and you can see the cords and no holes were created!

6 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey January 26, 2011 at 12:51 pm

I agree – it would be best in the bedroom. In my husband’s old bedroom, he had a stuffed duck on the wall – yes.. a real duck stuffed (not a stuffed animal). He was adament about getting that baby into our new house. I think it was more so I would throw a fit (because he likes to get a rise out of me) but it didn’t make the cut. ;)

7 amanda @ fake ginger January 26, 2011 at 12:52 pm

I’m on Derek’s side for this one! ;) Although I think it might look more modern and cute without the white mat around it and in a funky silver frame. I can’t really tell how large it is but I think it would look great in a bathroom.

8 Amy January 26, 2011 at 1:02 pm

Ooh YES! Great idea, it would look great in a big white bathroom.

9 Vikki January 26, 2011 at 1:38 pm

I like the idea of the fish in a bathroom too. Maybe the guest bathroom where everyone would see it eventually anyway. It has nice color too it. So you could pick one of the dark colors and paint the walls or something.

10 Paula January 26, 2011 at 1:49 pm

I thought the bathroom, too. With bright colored towels and things easy to match in that type of room.

11 Carly January 26, 2011 at 5:55 pm

I immediately thought bathroom too! Because really? If you don’t like it to begin with, why are you inviting it into your bedroom?

12 RunningOnCoffee January 27, 2011 at 3:28 pm

I like the bathroom idea too!
In our last apartment where we had more wall space to hang things, the bathroom had kind of an ocean theme. We hung small prints of beach scenes from our honeymoon, and displayed some cool shells we’ve found in FL.
RunningOnCoffee recently posted..No Snow Day – !

13 Kelly January 26, 2011 at 12:52 pm

Haha, the things boys can be stubborn about. Currently my guy and I are arguing over whether or not my gorgeous Pottery Barn furniture is appropriate for a couples master bedroom because it’s white. I said babe, this furniture is 2 months old, I will take it to my grave.

14 Meg January 26, 2011 at 12:52 pm

Husband and I have been married for almost six months and still have yet to find a comforter/duvet cover for our bed that we both actually like. He outright refuses to have anything with flowers or anything that looks like it possibly could be flowers….which is almost everything I like :[

15 Victoria January 26, 2011 at 1:11 pm

Ha! I can relate to that one. :) TWO YEARS to agree on a paint color for our downstairs…but at least we are both happy!
Victoria recently posted..Warrior Whhhaaat

16 Ali @ Ali on the Run January 26, 2011 at 12:54 pm

I moved in with my boyfriend in November and one important thing I’ve learned is to pick your battles carefully! Pick the things your really passionate about — like the painting for him — and let certain things slide. I’m not thrilled with how our apartment is decorated right now, but overall the fact that we’re living together makes me forget about the little decorating things.

17 Sara (Miles and Manhattan) January 26, 2011 at 12:54 pm

Oh boy. M had a giant abstract painting over the bed. It was from an EX. Honestly? I didn’t care that it was from an EX, just ugly and too big. I made him ditch it. Wish I had a better compromise!!!

18 Kara January 26, 2011 at 12:54 pm

My husband has a HUGE framed photo of the first flight (he’s a pilot) and he had it right over the master bed. I really hated it, so I suggested moving it because it could fall on us and that’s dangerous…;) Now it’s in the basement, lol.

19 Sarah January 26, 2011 at 12:54 pm

Ever seen When Harry Met Sally? Looks like you’ve found your very own wagon wheel coffee table! Love is all about compromise- glad y’all found one.

20 Amanda January 26, 2011 at 12:54 pm

You think that’s bad? My boyfriend has a stuffed duck hanging on the wall. As in, used to be alive and is now hanging in the bedroom. I don’t know what I’m going to do about that…

21 Ali @ Ali Runs January 26, 2011 at 12:55 pm

Good compromise :) Guys are really funny about certain things though–my boyfriend lives for the Green Bay Packers (going to the super bowl, woo!) so all of his stuff is Packers. That would probably not fly in a shared environment. Maybe someday in a man cave though…haha love that idea.

22 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday January 26, 2011 at 12:55 pm

I love that print! I can’t believe you made Derek put it in the bedroom. Poor Derek… you’re in for a lot of “compromises”.

23 Allie (Live Laugh Eat) January 26, 2011 at 12:55 pm

Awww I think Derek’s love for the print is adorable. Isn’t it funny how the big things are easy to compromise on but not the small?

24 Bethany @ More Fruit Please January 26, 2011 at 12:55 pm

I think that’s a great compromise! I’m living on my own right now and love not having to compromise with anyone. In college, I always shared an apartment with three other girls and trying to decorate our common living area was hard!! Thankfully my boyfriend isn’t much of a decorator and doesn’t have any wall art that he’s strongly attached to. If the day comes that we move in together, I’m hoping I’ll get a lot of freedom with covering our walls.

25 Eliz@The Sweet Life January 26, 2011 at 12:56 pm

So funny–I’ve had similar conversations so often. Moving to a less visible place is definitely the best solution I’ve found.

26 Eliza January 26, 2011 at 12:56 pm

My (now ex) husband was very passionate about his iced tea maker and would become incensed when I would shove it in a dark cupboard, up the back, hidden by the boxes of cereals that no one really wanted to eat.

Every stinking time I tried to remove that iced tea maker, he would find it and return it to the the counter.

(Admittedly, I am not an iced tea fan. I prefer hot tea. With milk.)

This stupid machine drove me insane; we had very light counters and the machine would drip, and left horrible tea stains on the counter so that after a few months, it looked like alien markings appeared in our kitchen.

I guess the point of it is that this stupid iced tea maker didn’t get resolved by a compromise. One day I had oily hands, picked the machine up, and – woops! – I dropped it.

And then I relocated my Kitchen Aid mixer to the space where the previously departed iced tea maker once resided, and all was good in the world.

27 Amy January 26, 2011 at 12:57 pm

When I got married, I moved into my my husband’s apartment and it was quintessential “bachelor pad”… I definitely had my work cut out for me :) I picked my battles & moved in small, homey, girly things (haha… read: photos, table linens, comforter, etc) gradually. We also kind of split up the rooms as far as who had decorative control– I got the kitchen & bedroom, he got the den & office.

28 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) January 26, 2011 at 12:58 pm

Well… at least you compromised :)

29 Paula @ Eat:Watch:Run January 26, 2011 at 12:59 pm

That print isn’t that bad. Does he have an office at home he can put it in? That might work too

My husband pretty much gives me the decorating reins. I ask him if he likes something. He shrugs and goes back to playing Dead Space 2. It’s a win-win.

30 Amy January 26, 2011 at 1:00 pm

Aw, I think it’s sweet that he likes his print so much! My husband feels the same way about his George Foreman grill, he so wants it to stay on the counter and I want it to be out of sight in a cupboard …

This is just the first of many, many compromises you and Derek will make. Enjoy the process!

31 alison January 26, 2011 at 1:00 pm

That seems like a fair compromise. My first thought was the bathroom, because a fish/tropical theme in the bathroom could be fun and whimsical.
My husband and I started from scratch when we got married so thankfully we didn’t have any ‘what to keep, what to toss, what to compromise on’ struggles.

32 Kristen January 26, 2011 at 1:02 pm

I know how you feel! My boyfriend has a very professional job with a bank, but his degree is a BA majoring in Digital Art. He is a big fan of japanese animation! I love him and we have come to a compromise, but trust me I can not wait until the day he can have his own (man cave) room. We kinda have a japanese theme going on in the apartment so its a little easier to pull it off.

33 Emily // @FitandFreeEmily January 26, 2011 at 1:02 pm

I am *so* going to love these posts!
When my (then boyfriend) fiance and I moved in together he had a HIDEOUS painting in the living room as the front-and-center piece. The painting itself was “okay” (read : not my style) but the framing of it just didn’t look good.

We compromised by getting a new frame/matting the matched our combined style more. That made all the difference!

Oh, and it now also hangs in the office ;)

34 Sarah for Real January 26, 2011 at 1:04 pm

At least it’s original art work, right? I see your point about designing a room around a big fish (though you could do some cool stuff with blues and greens that doesn’t scream fish, you don’t want matchy-matchy anyway). I hesitate to agree with you though because of what you might replace it with. I always prefer original art over generic, reproductions or framed posters, especially if he really loves this piece. I tend to think men get the short end of the stick when it comes to decor, so I’d say give the guy a break. It’s something the man you love loves.

35 Hope January 26, 2011 at 1:05 pm

I think that is a good compromise. My boyfriend and I moved in together after both of us living with our families so we really didn’t have too many compromises. He is very easy going and let me have my way with decorating our house. Of course he always helps in picking out various items but he is easy to please. :)

36 andrea @ a cake for a wife. January 26, 2011 at 1:10 pm

Aw, poor Derek! I actually think the print is really cute, and certainly not nearly as bad as stuff some guys might want to keep on the walls. :) If it were me, I’d move it to the bathroom — the fish theme always works well in there, and a blue/green colour scheme in a bathroom is nice.

37 Sarah @ Long Legs Healthy Life January 26, 2011 at 1:10 pm

You might like the print better in a different frame, it’s looking a little Dr.’s office-ish with the white/black. I agree with everyone who said it would look good in a bathroom, too. Our compromise was our Christmas tree, and our bedroom furniture. I hate hate hate hate our christmas tree, but it’s been in hubby’s family for years, and he really loves it. Our bedroom furniture is his set, that his parents bought for him in the late 80′s, early 90s. It’s oak, spindly, and has a footboard, all of which I don’t love, but we needed a bed, so we kept it, and we’re keeping it until we move into a place that has a bedroom big enough for a king sized bed.

38 Kierstan @ Life {and running} in Iowa January 26, 2011 at 1:11 pm

My husband had a lame poster in a really cheap frame that he absolutely loved. Our compromise…he had to take it to his office at work. :) Win win in my mind.
Kierstan @ Life {and running} in Iowa recently posted..training tuesday

39 Mimi January 26, 2011 at 1:12 pm

I’m sure I’m going to be running into a few of these issues next year, although my fiance is pretty laid-back about decorating (and doesn’t already have too much to contribute).
Mimi recently posted..School rules my life

40 Lauren January 26, 2011 at 1:13 pm

Been there! My boyfriend had this huge painting of an ocean scene that was nice, but didn’t exactly fit into our style/life in the bustling city. It stayed around for a while but we eventually found something that we both liked and the picture was gone. What you have now sounds like a perfect compromise! And thank goodness for Man Caves!

41 Michelle January 26, 2011 at 1:13 pm

I can definitely see that in the bathroom – so maybe someday that can be the NEW compromise :)

My husband had this crazy Dali print above his bed (the one with the egg – super creepy). To say it was disturbing is an understatement. When we first moved in together it went in our extra bedroom. The next time we moved it went in our office. After that it went to Goodwill, mainly because it didn’t match anything and my hubby had moved on (thankfully!). This too shall pass :)

42 Katie @ Healthy Heddleston January 26, 2011 at 1:14 pm

That print makes me think of a bathroom for some reason.. ocean theme potty room anyone?
Katie @ Healthy Heddleston recently posted..Musically Delicious

43 sweeter salt January 26, 2011 at 1:17 pm

I feel ya. I’ve lived with my fiancee for almost 4 years now, and there have been many compromises. My favorite instance was when he came home from an antique shop with a photo of a wrestler from the 1930′s. My reaction: “No. We will not hang a photo of a large man in spandex on the living room wall.” Ugh. That one never made the wall, but some of his other finds have, and we’ve compromised as to where to put them. The hallway and his corner of the bedroom are good places for his stuff.

The moral of the story: No scary men in spandex on the wall, but perhaps one fish here and there won’t kill you :)

Laura
sweeter salt recently posted..Meatloaf with Smoked Cheddar- Bacon and Jalapeno

44 Lauren @ Hungry Dancer January 26, 2011 at 1:17 pm

I havent moved in with a significant other, but I did have a roommate. The common areas were definitely where we had to compromise. I think it’s important to be flexible and think of as many ideas as possible until you both agree!
Lauren @ Hungry Dancer recently posted..Reality TV Addict

45 Juli D. January 26, 2011 at 1:18 pm

My H really doesn’t care about decorating. He’ll give input if I ask for it, but mainly he just lets me do what I want. Happy wife, Happy life. ;-) As to the photo, I would put it in a bathroom. You can easily play off of the cheery colors in there, whereas using those colors in a room meant for relaxation (bedroom, living room) might not be the best mix.
Juli D. recently posted..Goat Milking Champion

46 michelle January 26, 2011 at 1:19 pm

My husband has zero sense of style. He had all these army action figures that he wanted to display until I convinced him otherwise.
michelle recently posted..Sunday Funday

47 Marie C. January 26, 2011 at 1:20 pm

The things guys have to give up to be with their ladies. Good thing we are worth it!
Marie C. recently posted..Running from the LAPD

48 Megan January 26, 2011 at 1:21 pm

The first argument that my husband and I had as a married couple was the size of the television we wanted to buy. Ironically enough, I was the one who wanted the 65″ monster (because I am an obsessive sports fan) and he argued that no one needed a television that big. Eventually we settled on a 60″ (thanks to an awesome sale that we found at Costco).

Otherwise, he leaves most of the decorating decisions up to me and I am totally cool with our arrangement. I don’t think that the print itself is that bad – maybe try a different frame/mat combo and see how that looks.

49 Kim @ girlevolving January 26, 2011 at 1:22 pm

I love antiques and fun colors and my husband likes more modern, clean lines with basics (a lot of white). We’ve mixed it up – antiques chests with simple couches, white bedspreads and pillows on antique beds, bits of color here and there. In the end, being together is always more important than the space, although you both want to be comfortable.
Kim @ girlevolving recently posted..stupid virus

50 Holly January 26, 2011 at 1:24 pm

Meghann – instead of looking at this print as an obstacle to your re-design, look at it as a potential complement to your overall vision for the room. It may be hard to get the full effect from the picture you posted, but I think it could be a great inspiration for you. While the green and yellow may catch the eye first, I also see reds, tans and blues. Think outside the box and don’t feel like you have to incorporate the major colors or even the obvious fish motif from the print.

If you incorporate the less prominent colors from the print into your color scheme for the room, you may find a balance that doesn’t make the picture the main focus, so it’s not the first thing you notice when you walk in. I think it would make a great conversation piece, actually and it’s certainly better than a “wagon wheel, Roy Rogers, garage sale coffee table” :)

I think we all look for the obvious when we decorate or design a room so just keep an open mind and train yourself to look for the more subtle points.

Looking forward to seeing the pictures – Good Luck!!

Holly

51 sabrina January 26, 2011 at 1:28 pm

I may be in the minority but I would keep the print in the living room, and change out the frame. Compromise is key. He really loves the print (and it’s fairly expensive), so if it stays, you get to decorate how you want. Or you get to choose the couch. You don’t have to coordinate your furniture to the colors. Neutrals (grays, whites, browns, etc.) will work nicely. Just add a pop of color in the pillows.

52 Christin@purplebirdblog January 26, 2011 at 1:30 pm

Ha! So many compromises in our relationship… he wanted to put this antique cross over our bed, and I told him I can’t have Jesus right there watching us do the dirty, so no! He also has a thing for antlers, sheesh. I can’t wait until we too can have a man cave reality! :)
Christin@purplebirdblog recently posted..Homemade Dog Treats

53 Jillian January 26, 2011 at 1:31 pm

OMG yes! I’ve been living with my SO for 3 years and we have totally different preferred styles.

Me: Loves the eclectic/shabby chic/ but still organized look
She: Totally minimalistic and modern

What’s worked for us: Keeping in mind that where we live is temporary (an apartment) and when we move into a bigger place we’ll each get to be “in charge” of different spaces with both having the “veto” power in the common areas.

Having two VERY opinionated women in a relationship def makes things interesting, but fun and rewarding too :)

54 Jessica @ Domesticated-Bliss January 26, 2011 at 1:33 pm

I was very sneaky with home decor and it ultimately worked in my favor.

Before my hubs and I were married, I let him make most of the decisions when it came to decorating the house (within reason).

BUT when we bought our first house together I slyly told him that since he had full control of the last apartment he had to go with what I wanted for the house :)

Sneaky? Yes. Effective? Absolutely!
Jessica @ Domesticated-Bliss recently posted..Book Review- Divine Secrets- Little Altars Everywhere &amp Ya-Yas in Bloom

55 Brie @ Brie Fit January 26, 2011 at 1:34 pm

Tim has antlers from the first buck he shot. We used it as a hat rack for a long time. Eventually, we moved and…well, I did 90% of the unpacking of boxes, and I chose to unpack that right into the closet. He hasn’t asked about it or gone looking for it since.
Brie @ Brie Fit recently posted..1688

56 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat January 26, 2011 at 1:38 pm

Oh wow, that is quite the debate! Thankfully for me, as of yet I haven’t had to move in with a significant other so all my decor is mine! :)
Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat recently posted..Bloggers and a buffet

57 Amanda January 26, 2011 at 1:39 pm

One of my biggest compromises with Josh, my husband, was similar! For years, he has kept his baseball memorabilia collection (lots of photographs and posters that are signed by baseball greats) in storage. However, once we moved into our new home earlier last year, he requested space to hang them.
We compromised by letting him hang most of his stuff in the office… so now we have a baseball themed office, but at least its not in the living room!

58 Kate January 26, 2011 at 1:43 pm

Good job getting it moved into the bedroom! It’s not my taste, either, so I agree with your POV. :) Luckily my bf has really lovely art for the main areas of our recently moved in together home, and his less attractive pieces (caricature of himself…) he keeps in his office. Whew!

59 whit January 26, 2011 at 1:43 pm

I don’t think it’s the print so much that’s the problem as it is the frame. The frame makes it look kind of dated.

Good job compromising though!

60 Evan Thomas January 26, 2011 at 1:44 pm

I’m on Derek’s side. It’s not such a bad painting. And it’s only one. Maybe it needs a new matting but I think it looks good.

61 Whitney N January 26, 2011 at 1:47 pm

Not gonna lie… I kinda like some of Guy Harvey’s work. And you’re lucky Derek was willing to compromise! I’d probably take the “we can reframe it, but it’s staying here, darnit.” Heh. Especially if it’s new(ish)!

But! I am an entomologist and my poor partner has to put up with all sorts of bug decorations and gear everywhere. Poor thing.

62 Jillian @ Reshape Your Life January 26, 2011 at 1:47 pm

I’m lucky that my Fiance has very little say in style or decorating… However he is very attached to his oversized sectional with oversized ottoman in our very TINY living room. I would love a sofa and loveseat set with a coffee table and end tables (that wouldn’t currently fit with the oversized furniture!)… you know like a normal living room.

I don’t like the print, but I think you could make it work with cute blue and yellow/green accents. That said, the fish kind of scare me… ;)
Jillian @ Reshape Your Life recently posted..Butt Kicked

63 Regina January 26, 2011 at 1:55 pm

I think it would look awesome in a bathroom and you could design the bathroom around it. JMO
Regina recently posted..Eat The Food

64 sarah (sarah learns) January 26, 2011 at 1:56 pm

ahhh, my fiance and i are moving in together in april. honestly, he doesn’t have a lot of art or anything like that, but he does have his video gaming collection. i’m on board with the 52″ tv that comes with it, but i’m dreading having to live with his ps3 and all of those video games, headsets, etc. that come with it.
sarah (sarah learns) recently posted..what i ate tuesday

65 RunningOnCoffee January 27, 2011 at 3:45 pm

sounds like a good excuse to get a nice entertainment center kind of thing to organize it all! (and keep it out of sight when needed)
RunningOnCoffee recently posted..No Snow Day – !

66 maria January 26, 2011 at 1:57 pm

i am loving these posts! my boyfriend and i are in the midst of finding an apartment and it seems every night there is a new version of “mine vs his.” last night, for example, we went over the pros and cons of our coffee tables. its a fun process, but nice to hear from another girl who is going thru this too!!

67 Andrea @ Run, Eat, Date, Sleep January 26, 2011 at 2:05 pm

Count me in as another one who would put it in the bathroom. Sorry Derek!
Andrea @ Run, Eat, Date, Sleep recently posted..Another Tragic WW Meeting

68 Paige@Two Runners And A Brown Dog January 26, 2011 at 2:08 pm

I am in total agreement that the print should go in the bathroom…you know..fish…water….AND kind of out of the way!
Paige@Two Runners And A Brown Dog recently posted..Be Fierce as fierce as you can be- anyway!

69 AnneWF January 26, 2011 at 2:10 pm

What about moving it into a hallway? That way he can see it and enjoy it all the time. My MIL did this and it makes her so happy every time she goes to use the bathroom or to her bedroom or office. It also brightens up that area. Many people don’t think about decorating the hallways with anything but family photos but I really like looking at framed art.

70 Emily January 26, 2011 at 2:11 pm

We kind of have the rule, Big Guy can have what he want on the walls…until we’re married (I hope that doesn’t put that on hold…). But in all honesty, I like that print. hahaha.
In my house you’ll find tobacco barn prints, cotton bolls and ducks. At first I was annoyed with them (they are really nice prints…I just wanted more “contemporary”) but I’ve gotten used to them.
But he is aware that once we’re married, the tobacco barns move into the guest room, which is now alllllll ECU football stuff and the football stuff moves upstairs into the unfinished game room (that’ll hopefully be finished).

I guess my take-away message: pick your battles.
I did get to do whatever I wanted with the kitchen. =)
Emily recently posted..Cake- cookie or bread

71 Heather January 26, 2011 at 2:14 pm

hilarious! we have had to make similar compromises in BUILDING our house from scratch. We designed the blueprint ourselves, and had to compromise on some room placement, bathroom, etc. but it is turning out great!
Heather recently posted..Comment on WDW Marathon 2011 Recap part II by Megan

72 Caitlin January 26, 2011 at 2:15 pm

trip and spill coffee all over the walls/print?

kidding derek.
Caitlin recently posted..Bribes and Gold Stars

73 Sarah January 26, 2011 at 2:23 pm

This is so much better than a HUGE Louisiana Tech flag that would hang on the wall over the couch when I moved in with my boyfriend :) it’s gone now.

It may not be the best picture, but get another one and make it LOOK like it goes with the room!

Could ALWAYS be worse!

74 Jess (Daly Authenticity) January 26, 2011 at 2:20 pm

Oh bless your heart Meghann.

I can totally relate. When I got married, my husband was coming from living in a college house with a bunch of his buddies. He has been pretty gracious with letting me decorate the house, but he did declare the basement to be his “man cave”. I am ok with that, I guess :)
Jess (Daly Authenticity) recently posted..Doing the right thing

75 River January 26, 2011 at 2:26 pm

I agree with other people, definitely would suit the bathroom. As soon as I saw it, I could picture it in a bathroom.

Much better than the bedroom in my opinion.

76 Lauren January 26, 2011 at 2:27 pm

When my fiance and I moved in together, he brought along his GIGANTIC, up-close poster of a terrifyingly ugly great white shark’s face. I asked him to hang it in the garage, and he gracefully agreed. Now, every time I pull into the garage the scary shark poster cracks me up. :)

77 Nicole January 26, 2011 at 2:46 pm

Um… what goes with nothing goes with everything?

78 Liz January 26, 2011 at 2:46 pm

My husband is allowed to have anything he wants on the walls of his office. The rest of the house I have final say on.

My one piece of advice is I would stop harping on how bad his condo is. I know your joking around when you post on your blog and twitter about it, but eventually he’s going to start resenting it and then he’s never going to want to compromise..

79 Jill January 26, 2011 at 2:57 pm

Yes–we moved a painting into the bedroom that I was not crazy about. I like that one–it would be neat in the bathroom but the moisture would damage it?

80 Theresa @ himynameistheresa January 26, 2011 at 2:58 pm

Oh, you’ve got the rest of your lives to squabble about home decoration. We got our current apartment together when we decided to move in together, but I had stuff and he didn’t. Seems like he’s spent the last couple of years making up for it. :-P

I seem to be one of the rare women that “lost” the battle, but that may be because he cares more than I do. Our bedroom and my office are minimalist. The kitchen is full of stuff, but I organize it how I want (I do the cooking). And the living room … well, at least I have my “woman cave” to retreat to.

When we move, I’m purging. Until then … I’m picking my battles.

81 Kelly January 26, 2011 at 3:02 pm

My husband grew up in a house with all white walls, so when I wanted some color on our condo walls he was skeptical. I said, “I’ll do all the painting, you can help me pick out a color and if you don’t like it, we’ll paint over it.” He loved it and we discovered that even if he wants to help paint, he’s not allowed to. I’m the master painter in this house. :)
Kelly recently posted..The good side of calorie counting

82 MaryBe@AccidentallyVegan January 26, 2011 at 3:03 pm

I love that print! Really love it. But life is def about compromise. We both (my husband and I) have things in our home that we don’t love, but we love each other and that’s the important thing.

83 MaryBe@AccidentallyVegan January 26, 2011 at 3:04 pm

PS Just remember this when he’s not happy about something of yours LOL!
MaryBe@AccidentallyVegan recently posted..Some Days Dont Go As Planned- and a Chocolate Cake Recipe!

84 Jamie in Arkansas January 26, 2011 at 3:05 pm

In the grand scheme of things…this is minor. When you finally do move in together, get married, etc. you will have to pick your battles!!! :)

85 Allison January 26, 2011 at 3:06 pm

My biggest compromise was letting my fiance stack things on the kitchen table. For me, the table is the place where I eat, but in his house, it’s more like a counter top. The compromise is that he gets a small section of the table to pile on his goods and then I get my space to eat!
Allison recently posted..The Biggest Loser Season 11- Episode 4 Recap

86 Jena January 26, 2011 at 3:14 pm

I’m completely baffled that u want to get rid of the guy Harvey print. If by donating it to goodwill you mean my house that is an excellent idea. My husband and myself are both guy Harvey lovers. 90% of my husbands shirts are guy Harvey related. Poor Derek. The only compromise we made when building our house was they the gun cabinet had to going the hall closet not the bedroom. We both love the beachy feel that our home has so it we ddint have trouble decorating.
Jena recently posted..Want to blog better in 2011 We’re here to help

87 Jena January 26, 2011 at 3:23 pm

Okay, now that I can actually see the picture (i was on my phone before) the frame should be changed. We have some cool frames that are made out of old crab traps, but some how I don’t think you are going to like that idea. You can kind of see the frame I’m referring to in the picture in this blog post- http://lifeisbeachykeen.wordpress.com/2011/01/17/no-fish-no-bread-fail/ I think the guest bathroom would be a good place since you don’t really want it in the bedroom either.
Jena recently posted..Mermaids

88 Ashley January 26, 2011 at 3:18 pm

Oh wow. Well, at least you came to a compromise :) I haven’t merged with my significant other but I shutter at all the gaming posters ‘comfy’ (ragged, gross, to short for the bed) comforters he wants to bring too. We’ve already compromised :D Posters go separate room that acts as office and rec room that no one sees, comforter goes in the trash. period.
Ashley recently posted..Epic Fail and Indian Food

89 Rich January 26, 2011 at 3:20 pm

First the picture has more than just greens and yellows in it. Second you say the living room is in the design stage. Third a compromise is not just oneway. Your compromise is the picture has a place in the apartment, while his is the picture he was so excited to get will be seen by only two people you and him. I see why he doesn’t see this as a compromise. I know what everyone is saying don’t listen to him he’s a guy sticking up for Derek. I would have like it better if you left the art up until the time the living room design had been finalized. I do love the wagon wheel analogy!

90 Kay January 26, 2011 at 7:41 pm

Absolutely agree. :)

91 Deva (Voracious Vorilee) January 26, 2011 at 9:24 pm

I do, too. It’s a print by an artist he enjoys, and if it were my print, I would want to share it with excitement – not put it in my bedroom or a bathroom (especially not a bathroom with all of the moisture potential in there). I would keep it in the living room until y’all have finalized how you want your living room to be.
Deva (Voracious Vorilee) recently posted..Sweet- Sweet Sunday

92 Holly @ couchpotatoathlete January 26, 2011 at 3:24 pm

I would have chosen a bathroom for that print, but thats just me. I prefer mostly bare walls in my bedroom to be honest — it helps me relax at night.

When Jason and I got married and I moved in to his house, it was pretty easy to do what I want — Jason doesn’t really care where things go and he has a man cave, which was the perfect place for many things :)

I think you both compromised, since it is still in the house and it is in an important room too — I look forward to these posts, cute idea!
Holly @ couchpotatoathlete recently posted..Christmas Crack- Bark- Balls &amp More

93 Alaina @ The Jogging Concierge January 26, 2011 at 3:24 pm

My husband likes function over asthetics. So his favorite shelving units are made for the garage. So in our apartment, the shelves are in the spare bedroom. The shelf I like is in the living room. :-)
Alaina @ The Jogging Concierge recently posted..It’s a Hard Rock Life

94 Taysa January 26, 2011 at 3:24 pm

My boyfriend had the most horrible mismatched sheet set that he thought went together well. My solution for changing things to what I want is to buy it myself–I’ve gotten several new sheet sets (that really do match) and he’s never said a thing. He can’t really argue with me when I’ve spent money on something.

Luckily, he has his own office in the apartment for all of his band posters/knick-knacks, so I don’t have to see them if I don’t want too.
Taysa recently posted..Living Here- In the Now

95 Reenie January 26, 2011 at 3:26 pm

I like the print itself. I don’t care for the frame (the gold on it).

How about a new frame ~ and hang it in one of your bathrooms =)

It’s all about compromise <3

96 Holly @ Couch Potato Athlete January 26, 2011 at 3:32 pm

I think the painting is fine — not my personal taste, but it depends on what else you have in the room. As long as you are both ok with the decision, go for it!

After Jason and I got married it was kind of fun to go through each room and decide what goes where — thankfully Jason didn’t really care so I got to do as I wanted!

97 Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) January 26, 2011 at 3:34 pm

compromises….yeah, hubby says “Yes, Dear” when it comes to any and all things household. He’s learned that anything else…just isnt happening. :)
Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) recently posted..Stevia &amp Salsa

98 Kacy January 26, 2011 at 3:37 pm

I think that’s a good compromise. Definitely better if there was a man cave, but for now, good.
Kacy recently posted..Soup

99 Kate January 26, 2011 at 3:39 pm

I was going to say – move it somewhere where Derek can enjoy it but it won’t be the focal point of a major room. Nice job!

It is SO hard to compromise on house stuff. I am a huge control freak (there, I admit it) so I had 95% of the say in the decorating of my house, however, I let my boyfriend pick out a futon cover and he picked bright orange…not the worst thing in the world, but not my first choice. We worked around it and it worked out fine. It helps that we have several rooms to decorate, the less you have, the harder it is! I guess my only piece of advise would be try to stick to neutral colors for big things like couches, then use smaller and cheaper pieces to spruce up and personalize the space. Then if you change your mind in 5 years, you can just buy new pillows, not a new couch!

I can’t wait to see how it all turns out!

100 Reenie January 26, 2011 at 3:39 pm

You can make any house a home. Remember a can of paint will change a room more than anything. And new accessories. =)

101 Tracey @ Tropicalhappiness January 26, 2011 at 4:03 pm

If it makes you feel any better, I have had a hideous red country style shelf in the middle of my dining room for the past 6 years. My mother in law gave it to us when we were moving in. I thought it was tacky, but we put it up on the wall… I thought we’d replace it within a few months or a year with a cool piece of artwork or a mirror. Except then I found out my husband LOVES it.

We are planning a move in a year or two, and I’m thinking it might just get destroyed in the move… maybe I’ll drop it down the stairs, or even off the balcony. It’s that bad!!!!!!! ;)

So yes, I’m all too familiar with compromise!

102 Rachael January 26, 2011 at 4:17 pm

My house’s living room is full of stuffed roadkill. Owls, chickens and one lovely cow head sculpture that came from a dumpster. I’ve given up on compromise, as at least they’re all conversation pieces!
Rachael recently posted..Meet Me at Meat Camp

103 Amy January 26, 2011 at 4:28 pm

Oh girl! I feel your pain. When my husband and I bought a house and moved in together I gave him his own “Man Room”. Luckily the house we bought has 4 bedrooms so we could spare one for that. In his “Man Room” hangs Budweiser Pub signs, a skateboard autographed by Bam Margera, a neon beer sign, and numerous posters of different bands. Thank goodness for that extra room!!!

104 Diana January 26, 2011 at 4:29 pm

I wonder if you were to change the actual frame holding the print, maybe it would make it less masculine, and more fun and whimsical.

105 Brittney January 26, 2011 at 4:30 pm

The only thing that comes to mind in terms of compromise is that we have some furniture that we bought in our old house that does not fit right in our new house with the different layout. In particular a large “cube” shelf that I don’t think goes well in our new living room, but my hubby “made it fit”. I’ve let it go for now, but someday I want that thing out of my living room…lol!

106 Laurie January 26, 2011 at 4:39 pm

I agree with some of the other posters said about putting the picture in the bathroom (sorry Derek!), I would think with the theme and everything it would look great in there! It will work out, I’m sure you guys can come up with some kind of compromise! Good luck!

107 Mara January 26, 2011 at 4:48 pm

I love the print! I actually met Guy Harvey at a fishing show back in grad school (I was a marine bio major) and I bought one of his shirts and he autographed it for me. :-) I still have it!! I think it would look great in the bathroom, you can then draw from the ocean blues in the picture for decorating.

108 Derek January 26, 2011 at 5:05 pm

That’s awesome. An aunt of mine lives about 4 houses down from Guy in the Cayman Islands. My print is made out to me and signed by him.

109 Mara January 26, 2011 at 5:19 pm

From one fishing geek to another…sweet. :-)
Mara recently posted..Snickerdoodle Blondies

110 RunningOnCoffee January 27, 2011 at 4:05 pm

That makes the print even more awesome!! I don’t think it was mentioned that the print had been personalized…
I hope you guys can find a compromise that works for you both.

I don’t think I’d think of touching anything that my husband was so excited about. There are so many aspects of the apartment he doesn’t care about that if he DID care about a print, I’d let it be.

I can’t say I’m too concerned about things matching perfectly though. We’re in our second apartment since getting married, and as it turns out, the curtains that match our comforter do not work in our current apartment’s bedroom (Fewer windows; different size window). While it was nice getting stuff that matched while we were in that apartment, it was kind of short-sighted. I’m not worrying about the style of rooms or matching the decor just right until we get something more permanent.

From my husband’s parents, we have a hand-me-down love seat that’s in kinda rough shape and hand-me-down end tables that don’t really match the rest of the living room. They do the job for now though, so I’m not really going to complain. Again, we’ll wait to replace them until we’re in a real house I think.
RunningOnCoffee recently posted..No Snow Day – !

111 Sana January 26, 2011 at 4:55 pm

Oh men! He should move it to his OFFICE!!!
Sana recently posted..Tuna Kabobs

112 Julie (A Case of the Runs) January 26, 2011 at 4:59 pm

That seems like a good compromise. I personally like selling everything I can get my grubby hands on through ebay. ;) Of course, I would do an appraisal and say, “You know, you can get $XX for this thing that you don’t even use!”
Julie (A Case of the Runs) recently posted..Roasted

113 Ellie @ The Mommyist January 26, 2011 at 5:02 pm

I’m lucky that my husband and I have very similar tastes. The one “decorating style” of his that I couldn’t live with is the big pile of shoes by the door. ;) I asked him to put them away for 6 years, it caused tension and the pile always reappeared. Our final compromise? I stopped asking him to put them away and started doing it myself. We’re both much happier.
Ellie @ The Mommyist recently posted..Exhausted Mommy- Playful Girl

114 Meredith January 26, 2011 at 5:10 pm

Ok, so not a compromise, but when I moved in with my last bf I made him get a dresser. Absolutely no way that I would go along with his habit of living out of a suitcase. Which he had been doing in his apartment for 3 years.
Meredith recently posted..Flexibility

115 kate January 26, 2011 at 5:24 pm

Matt has huge subwoofers and speakers that make our living room look so much less put together, but he loves them even though I could care less about the surround sound.

116 Denise January 26, 2011 at 5:38 pm

Hilarious! When my husband and I moved in together, hanging above his bed, in all of its hideous glory, was a painting of a fish. Dead. Lying on a log. With a giant knife sticking out of it. Oh. My. God! It was horrible. There was no compromise and that thing could NOT stay. The Guy Harvey your guys have doesn’t seem so bad now, does it?

I’m telling you, that painting is burnt onto, and will forever be imprinted on, my retinas! 10 years later!
Denise recently posted..I DID A PLANK!!!

117 Cara January 26, 2011 at 5:53 pm

When I first moved in with my (now) husband we started at a place neither of us had lived in before, which made the transition a bit easier. We also made sure to get a place with 2 bedrooms, so we could have our separate space if we needed it. We slept in the same bed together of course though. But the (now) husband is extremely picky about decorating and I just don’t care enough about it to argue about it. So I deemed him in charge of all decorating. I can veto, but I don’t usually pick things out. Luckily he has pretty great taste, much better than me.

Now that we live in a house we bought together, he decorates the main living spaces, we got to decorate one room by ourselves (me the guest bedroom, him the office).

We did however pick the colors out together, and I love how it turned out!
Cara recently posted..Need a Recovery Day

118 Jenn January 26, 2011 at 6:06 pm

I don’t think the print is that bad. I’ve never heard of Guy Harvey, but I was picturing something a lot worse when the post started! I agree with others that the frame is part of the problem (although with how expensive framing is, a reframe is probably not in the budget). Removing the black line around the print, which I think is a second mat, would help with modernizing the look a bit.

Oh and remember you don’t need to design your living room around the colours in your pictures. It’s far better to have a personally meaningful piece of art on the wall than a mass produced Homegoods piece that was chosen only because it has the right colours, at least in my opinion

119 CampingGirl January 26, 2011 at 6:12 pm

My husband really wanted to live in the suburbs and I wanted to live downtown. In the end he chose the neighbourhood and I chose the house.
CampingGirl recently posted..Post Worthy Dinner

120 Semisweet Courtney January 26, 2011 at 6:14 pm

Derek would love Grand Cayman- the whole island is decked out in Guy Harvey stuff, even the airport! Meghann, you would love it too because it’s beautiful there with plenty of beaches :)
Semisweet Courtney recently posted..Saturday Race Story- The 3200

121 Laura @ Backstage Pass January 26, 2011 at 6:14 pm

Aww, Derek – this is so funny and reminds me of something my boyfriend would want to have in our living room. I say keep the print in the living room, above the couch. That way when you have company and they sit on the couch, the focus will be less on the print and more on whatever’s on the opposite wall. Also, if it’s in the living room then you will have fewer dreams about fishing :-)
Look on the bright side – it’s a conversation piece!
Laura @ Backstage Pass recently posted..And the winner is

122 sarah (the SHU box) January 26, 2011 at 6:40 pm

i also think it’s cute he’s so attached!

josh and i have had some pieces that we disagreed on but i have to admit i usually win in the end . . . :)
sarah (the SHU box) recently posted..the RD experience

123 Mara @ What's For Dinner? January 26, 2011 at 6:41 pm

When I moved in with Adam, I was appalled by some of the stuff on the walls… and much to my dismay, almost 4 years later, most of it is still there. I’ll see your fish print and raise you: 2 sets of Chinese weapons, a Michael Jordan poster in the bedroom, a bad oil painting of horses in the bedroom, and an ENTIRE BOOKCASE of video game memorabilia.
Mara @ What’s For Dinner? recently posted..Jewish Penicillin

124 Andrea January 26, 2011 at 7:05 pm

I agree with Holly. The print has a lot of colors besides blue and green you could focus on. I love taking on challenges like this! In fact, I would suggest using the deep blue and green as complementary colors only. Maybe focus on the whites and warm colors like the tangerine and yellows instead? Or go with a light blue and grey scheme? Also consider moving the photo to a different wall or maybe propping it against a mantle or bookcase. In a bedroom, I could see using some modern, nature inspired prints to soften the marine look.
Andrea recently posted..More office parts

125 Whitney January 26, 2011 at 7:16 pm

Thank god my husband and I have similar tastes and he didn’t own ANY furniture when we moved in together!
Whitney recently posted..Homemade pizza dough tutorial

126 Kiran January 26, 2011 at 7:18 pm

Remember my situation? Yup, no decorating at the moment. So no compromising issue ;) good luck you two :)
Kiran recently posted..Home-made Pumpkin Spiced Chai

127 Nate - Callie's husband January 26, 2011 at 7:45 pm

Derek – she is moving into YOUR house, everything stays. I say this knowing that the only thing I control in my house in the tv
Nate – Callie’s husband recently posted..Workout Hiatus

128 Derek January 26, 2011 at 8:49 pm

I may lose the battle, but I’ll win the war!! :)

129 Ash Bear January 26, 2011 at 7:55 pm

I agree that the frame could be improved. However, I also agree that this should go in the bathroom but PLEASE do not go “ocean crazy” with the rest o the decoration. Maybe simple blues? :)
Ash Bear recently posted..Squeezing in Health and Fitness at the Airport

130 Lauren January 26, 2011 at 8:05 pm

When we got married, I MADE my husband put his Naked George Poster (from Seinfeld) in the garage. I didn’t even let him hang it, it had to be rolled in the corner. Gosh I hated that thing, I couldn’t even stand it to be in the house. LoL It’s all about the compromise but you know what they say, “happy wife (girlfriend) = happy life.”
Lauren recently posted..Escaping the Mundane

131 Mary January 26, 2011 at 8:27 pm

I like the idea of softening it up with a matte silver frame and putting it in a bathroom. Fish are always a good accent in a bathroom, especially if you do the room up in “watery” colors like greens and blues.
Mary recently posted..Namaste

132 Robert January 26, 2011 at 9:08 pm

When my wife and I moved into our house, our compromise was that i had one room with all my stuff in it and my wife got to decorate the rest of the house.

133 Grace January 26, 2011 at 9:11 pm

I have a giant surfing picture over my couch…it’s my room mates from when she lived in Hawaii. The frame is awful also but I pretty much decorated everything else. I gave the whole living room a subtle beach theme even if the picture isn’t so subtle. Did you see how his print looks in the closet? Just kidding! Luckily my boyfriend doesn’t have a lot of personalized thing for the future!
Grace recently posted..Tempted

134 Deva (Voracious Vorilee) January 26, 2011 at 9:29 pm

I commented above, and I wouldn’t put the piece in a bathroom – I would personally be too concerned about moisture from the shower affecting the print. What about changing the framing or matting of the picture (matting is less costly)?
Deva (Voracious Vorilee) recently posted..Sweet- Sweet Sunday

135 Sarah @ goingongoals January 26, 2011 at 9:35 pm

My life is full of compromise. The most recent tho, was not a compromise, it was a bribe. Jay has this huge light brown bean bag chair (his friends joke that it looks like a giant testicle). There was NO WAY it was going in my (our) apartment. We are also both obsessed with the show The West Wing. A friend in college owned the entire series and we watched it together one summer. Recently we decided to rewatch and purchase the entire series ourselves. I told him I would buy the entire series if his bean bag chair never came into the apartment. Who needs compromise?
Sarah @ goingongoals recently posted..Snow- BodyPump- Tofu and Training

136 Kristen January 26, 2011 at 9:37 pm

This year I moved in with my boyfriend. That meant I moved all the way to SPAIN!

Thankfully his house is immaculate. However, the hunting trophies from his world travels were removed before my plane landed. Necessary.

I have pretty much set up shop wherever I wanted. I mean, I moved to Spain! :)

I say Mr. Harvey gets moved. I like the bathroom idea.

137 Cass January 26, 2011 at 9:38 pm

Sounds like you lost sight of the fact though that this is something Derek values. In a relationship, sometimes that’s a lot more important than whether or not it fits in with your grand design scheme.

138 breakingsilence @ Freshman -15 January 26, 2011 at 10:21 pm

I actually don’t think the picture is that bad. I’ve seen worse!! I’m a girl, but I’m with Derek on this one. There are plenty of other colors besides green and yellow in the pic that you can design around!
breakingsilence @ Freshman -15 recently posted..Ive got a feeling it wont be long

139 Dione January 27, 2011 at 12:16 am

You can always pitch it to Derek that with the picture in the bedroom he can fall asleep looking at it and then wake up to it. :)

140 Halley (Blunder Construction) January 27, 2011 at 10:53 am

My boyfriend has street signs (Tow Zone and Slow Children Playing) that he snatched back in his mischievous high school days. He likes them. I do not. Somehow I got away with putting them in the SHOWER. We see them everyday, but they aren’t out in the open. Good luck!
Halley (Blunder Construction) recently posted..Planning for Sustenance

141 Sarah January 27, 2011 at 11:31 am

I was going to suggest an office too if that was an option. I’d still be upset about having to decorate around it in the bedroom but you’re right, relationships are all about compromise. And while I can’t stand my husband’s bar mirror collection or huge neon Budweiser sign, he loves them. He also had a collection of street signs that he stole in college. The bar mirrors are in the basement and the street signs are in our garage. I’ve learned I need to pick my battles and if they’re that important to him, it’s not a battle I’m willing to fight.

Good luck, it’s fun and challenging combining spaces!

142 Julie January 31, 2012 at 7:18 am

I’m glad you were able to compromise. I wish. I have been living with my boyfriend for two years now, and have yet to feel like our apartment is actually OUR apartment. The living room is horrible. Flags on the walls, mismatched everything, little models of army men, skull coasters… ugh. I’ve managed to take down one of the flags without him minding and added in a few things here and there, like candles, but honestly this decor is just not working. We have a one bedroom apartment, I get to decorate the bedroom. In my opinion it looks amazing, but he doesn’t care for it much. I wish we had a basement or an extra bedroom (man cave), for all his “stuff”. Any tips on how we can make this OUR apartment instead of his horrible bachelor pad?