Meals and Miles: The Show

by Meghann on January 25, 2011

Look out Samantha Brown – there’s a new TV host in town and she’s after your job. ;)

Kidding. Sort of.

A few weeks ago I had a very productive meeting with IzonOrlando – a really cool web channel that focuses on Orlando based shows – about collaborating for a Meals & Miles show on their network. Meals and Miles The Show would showcase different fitness outlets around the Orlando with an emphasis that staying fit doesn’t mean being stuck in the gym. I liked it. Well, I ought to like it – the concept was all mine. They gave me complete creative control and I thought staying fit outside of the gym was a good one.

This afternoon my show became a reality.

Our pilot episode filmed at Rebounderz – the world’s only trampoline arena – with the goal of highlighting their cardio fitness classes. I’ve been to one of their classes before and knew it was a fun hidden in gem in the Orlando area. You bounce on trampolines.. you get a good work out in…and you’re not stuck in a gym – sounds like the perfect pilot to me!

We spent 3 hours filming on location and, let me tell you, filming a show is exhausting! Especially when someone keeps messing up her lines. (There’s a lot of pressure when you’re strapped into a harness and need to do a back flip once your lines are over). But, we got through it and I had A LOT of fun!

IMG_4104.jpg

The episode should be ready to premiere in the next couple of weeks. I promise to let everyone know as soon as it’s live!

I have so many ideas of other locations we can shoot at. Can you think of anything else that’s fun and sort of ‘out of the box’ as far as fitness is concerned?

I actually had to participate in the class too, so I fueled up with an apple & nut butter combination before I left.

It was late when were done and I was exhausted. I needed something quick for dinner and was glad I had set out this pre-seasoned packaged salmon to defrost while I was gone.

Another impulse buy at Publix, but an impulse buy I could be proud of. All I had to do was defrost the salmon, take the plastic off, and place the salmon (still on the cedar plank) in the oven for 15 minutes.

The cedar plank made my apartment smell wonderful. My mouth was watering when I pulled it out.

I paired 1/2 the salmon with a baked sweet potato and a piece of toast.

Dinner was ready in 20 minutes AND was tasty, what more does a girl need? The salmon was wonderful, very moist and flavorful.

I couldn’t wait to have more of last night’s Take the Cake Ice Cream for dessert. This stuff was good. Really good.

Can. Not. Keep. Eyes. Open.

Good Night.

1 Brittaney@ the girl that can't cook January 25, 2011 at 10:03 pm

This sounds so cool! Can’t wait to see the show.

2 Katie @ Healthy Heddleston January 25, 2011 at 10:04 pm

You could take them to that poll dancing class you tried hehe.

3 Molly January 25, 2011 at 10:04 pm

congrats!!! Thats amazing!

4 Maddie (the person) January 25, 2011 at 10:04 pm

That is so exciting! Good luck with your new endeavor! That place looks just like Sky Zone. http://www.skyzonesports.com/ Can’t wait to read what happens next!

5 Dori January 25, 2011 at 10:05 pm

This is SO cool!! Very proud of you. Take them to one of those trails you’ve run on, are any of them close by?

6 Ali @ Ali on the Run January 25, 2011 at 10:05 pm

Wow, so exciting! Congratulations, Meghann! What a great venture. Can’t wait for your big premiere! I actually took a rebounding class tonight, too.

7 Sara (Miles and Manhattan) January 25, 2011 at 10:07 pm

Wow congrats! SO EXCITING! And i have too look in nyc for that type of salmon on a plank, what a smart/quick idea!!
Sara

8 Lauren January 25, 2011 at 10:09 pm

So exciting! You could check out blended classes like cycle/yoga or classes that combine different fitness trends into one.

9 Bess January 25, 2011 at 10:10 pm

So excited to see your first show! (And we love Rebounderz…so fun!)

10 michelle January 25, 2011 at 10:10 pm

That must have been so fun!!!!!!!!!! Can’t wait to see it.

11 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) January 25, 2011 at 10:11 pm

That’s such a fun workout idea! I can’t wait to see it!

12 Ann January 25, 2011 at 10:14 pm

Congratulations on your show! That sounds so cool! The cedar plank salmon looks so good. I always go to Publix for groceries when I’m in Florida in the summer on vacation and I really like it. I wish we had one!

13 Cynthia January 25, 2011 at 10:16 pm

I would love to try a class like that!!! What a great idea! I am sure you will have tons of fun doing this show :)

14 Kaitlin January 25, 2011 at 10:16 pm

That’s awesome! Looks like your camera man had a great time too haha.

I think rock climbing, technical dance classes or even skateboarding could be cool features to have on the show!

15 Courtney @ Sweet Tooth, Sweet Life January 25, 2011 at 10:19 pm

Congrats on your show! That’s so exciting…I’d love to host a show! :)

16 Sarah January 25, 2011 at 10:21 pm

I love the new hula hoop classes that are popping up. You could do that in a park with some friends or go to a class if one is offered.

17 Ashley January 25, 2011 at 10:23 pm

Oh thats so cool!!! Congratulations. I’m definitely going to watch it , it’s going to be amazing. I love your shirt!

18 Silvia @ skinny jeans food January 25, 2011 at 10:26 pm

“Can you think of anything else that’s fun and sort of ‘out of the box’ as far as fitness is concerned?”

Pole dancing, baby! :-)

19 Holly @ couchpotatoathlete January 25, 2011 at 10:26 pm

Congrats on the show! How exciting :)

The only “out of the box” fitness idea I have is the Shake Weight — but I don’t think that actually works!

20 Mary (how to not be...) January 25, 2011 at 10:27 pm

This is so cool!! It’s such an interesting/original concept & way to go for being so proactive to make it. I can’t wait to see the episode!

21 Alyssa January 25, 2011 at 10:28 pm

The show filming sounds right up your alley :) What about belly dancing? I’ve done a few classes and it is A LOT of fun!

22 Amanda January 25, 2011 at 10:29 pm

This is so awesome, congrats! Things like this is one of the reasons I miss Orlando so much! If you ever want to check out OWC let me know…or just go there, they love things like this. You can blame it on me if they turn you away. :) But they better not, this is amazing publicity!

23 alyssa January 25, 2011 at 10:29 pm

Atlantic Salmon= farm raised. As a daughter of a commercial fisherman of wild sockeye in Alaska, i’ll spare you the nasty details of farm raised seafood and tell you to just please spare yourself.

Okay, that sounded bitchy, but seriously! :)

24 Maryann January 25, 2011 at 10:31 pm

That sounds awesome!! Are you sure thats the only trampoline place like that in the world though? I went to one that looks exactly the same in Seattle…

25 Becca January 25, 2011 at 11:04 pm

There’s SkyZone, which somebody above commented about. I was watching a vlog on YT the other day where they went to a place that looks like Rebounderz in LA (might’ve been a Rebounderz; never caught the name) and was sooooo jealous, and then I went on SkyZone’s site and realized they have a Minnesota location!
So I’m not sure about the “only place like it” idea. =\
But looks like fun!! :)
So excited for you, too, Meghann! :D Can’t wait to see the video!

26 Meghann January 26, 2011 at 6:44 am

The owner patented the term ‘indoor trampoline arena’ so technically they are the only one who can legally call themselves that. They’re also the only one in the world with the exo-skeleteon (SP?) trampoline, meaning it’s one large trampoline and not just a bunch stuck together. He invented that as well and patented it.

I spent an hour interviewing him on those facts. :)

27 Maryann January 26, 2011 at 9:07 am

Oh! Yeah the place I went to definitely was a bunch of small ones and not one large one! Thanks for the correction :)

28 Kim @ Imperfectly Perfect January 25, 2011 at 10:33 pm

How exciting! I’d be so nervous in front of a camera. Congratulations!! I can’t wait to see the pilot episode!

Rebounderz definitely looks like a fun workout!

29 tracy January 25, 2011 at 10:34 pm

What about boxing? Or, check to see if there are some kettlebell clubs in the area.

30 Julie @ Wearing Mascara January 25, 2011 at 10:35 pm

How awesome! I wish we had a place like that around here. Idea: Bikram yoga :-D

31 Katy (The Singing Runner) January 25, 2011 at 10:47 pm

Congratulations! Looks like so much fun!!! Can’t wait to see the final video! :D

32 Kiran January 25, 2011 at 11:03 pm

Amazing! Congrats honey, can’t wait for the Pilot show :)

33 Caitlin January 25, 2011 at 11:04 pm

blue springs state park kayaking!!!

34 sarah (sarah learns) January 25, 2011 at 11:09 pm

your show sounds like it’s going to be so cool! i was at a trampoline place like that before – my sorority did an event there in college. i LOVED it! so much fun.

35 Grace January 25, 2011 at 11:22 pm

I bought a GroupOn for Rebounderz today! and I also know of Izon.. they were offering an internship this semester and I did a little bit of research on them. I can’t wait to see your pilot!

36 Alaina @ The Jogging Concierge January 25, 2011 at 11:27 pm

I look forward to seeing the new Meals and Miles show!

I think rock climbing for fitness is fun. :-)

37 emily January 25, 2011 at 11:43 pm

Rock climbing!

38 Christine January 25, 2011 at 11:47 pm

I recently signed up for a trapeze class- everyone I know who has done it loves it! I’m not sure if there is one in your area, but if there is it might be fun to check out! Great upper body work out.

39 Sana January 26, 2011 at 12:02 am

omggg this sounds sooo awesome!!!

40 Raya January 26, 2011 at 12:18 am

Definitely gotta do Dance Trance, maybe a Salsa dancing class, perhaps hot yoga?, and if you’re interested in trying a martial arts class for the show I can put you in touch with my Martial Arts Instructor-he is AMAZING and I’m sure he would help!

41 Lauren @Hungry Dancer January 26, 2011 at 12:22 am

Congrats on the show!! That’s amazing!! The trampoline class looks like so much fun!!!

42 Nicole January 26, 2011 at 12:31 am

I love rebounding! Such a great and fun workout. Also, your hair is getting so long, it seems like just the other day you had it cut!

43 Courtney @ the granola chronicles January 26, 2011 at 12:41 am

I used to love jumping on a trampoline as a kid – so fun!!

44 Amy @ Amy Starts to Run January 26, 2011 at 12:49 am

Holy crap! How awesome is that! You could do so much with a show like that! Rock climbing, hula hooping, belly dancing etc. Congrats on an amazing project!

45 Christin@purplebirdblog January 26, 2011 at 12:52 am

Too freakin cool! My idea would be for Bikram or a water sport! :)

46 Marina January 26, 2011 at 1:07 am

That’s so amazing! I hope it will be on-line soon, can’t wait to see you :)
Hoola hooping is a non-typical workout, and you can actually break a sweat and have a lot of fun!

47 skinnyrunner January 26, 2011 at 1:11 am

congratulations, thats super exciting! cant wait to see it!

48 Jillian January 26, 2011 at 2:00 am

OMG I LOVE trampolines! If they had a center like that in the Bay Area I would SO be there!

As for other ideas a really fun activity that burns calories and doesn’t feel like it is hourseback riding.

Can’t wait to see the show!

49 Jessica @ The Virtual Scrapbook January 26, 2011 at 2:04 am

Congrats on this cool opportunity! Glad it went well!!

Hmmm….I’m craving a sweet potato now.

50 Gill (snaxandthecity) January 26, 2011 at 3:54 am

Good on you! That’s amazing! I’ve never trampolined, it looks fun though!

51 Ashley January 26, 2011 at 5:52 am

Congratulations! I’m so proud of you!

That salmon looks absolutely AMAZING by the way! I want to pick some up now but I’ve never seen something like that my grocery store. Maybe Whole Foods?

52 Kara January 26, 2011 at 6:22 am

I can never eat cedar planked salmon (or any other thing on cedar) because I grew up with a hamster and the smell of cedar reminds me of his cage. It’s really hard to enjoy a meal when you’re thinking about hamster poop.

I can’t wait to see your show!

53 Lauren January 26, 2011 at 6:55 am

This is such a cool concept! You are doing so well already with your own business.

54 Matt @ The Athlete's Plate January 26, 2011 at 7:00 am

Nothin better than salmon ;)

55 Patrice @ A New Sweetness January 26, 2011 at 7:01 am

congrats on your new show!

56 katie January 26, 2011 at 7:27 am

Congrats girl!!!!! I cant wait to watch it!!

I would say go to a dance trance class for the show! I think that would be awesome!

Oh that salmon looks good! Great impulse buy!

xo

57 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey January 26, 2011 at 7:38 am

That is so cool! I hope (okay I know) they will love you! That salmon actually comes with a cedar plank? How awesome is that?

58 Erica January 26, 2011 at 7:47 am

Congrats!!! That is super exciting. I bet you did fabulous and I can’t wait to watch. Hmm out of the box- hulu hooping class? Belly dancing? boot camps on the beach?

59 Allie January 26, 2011 at 8:03 am

Wowie it sounds like you had a busy and really cool day! You are perfect for a tv show host ! :) Salmon on a cedar plank is the best way to have it mmmm!

60 Eliz@The Sweet Life January 26, 2011 at 8:11 am

Good for you–that is so, so cool!

61 Josh January 26, 2011 at 8:22 am

Raquetball is a great workout and very fun.

62 Amy January 26, 2011 at 8:28 am

So fun! You are having all sorts of great adventures.

63 Hope January 26, 2011 at 8:32 am

Congrats! That is so exciting!

64 Sara January 26, 2011 at 9:02 am

I don’t like doing traditional gym workouts, myself, so I enjoy sports that sometimes require me to do a little bit of gym training…for example, I used to play Ultimate Frisbee (or Frisbee Football). GREAT cardio! Tons of sprinting and fun team atmosphere! Plus you get to learn cool throws! :) I also rock climb which is a great strength training workout and definitely mental workout! You have to trust your belayer (Person holding the other end of the rope) and you have to overcome a lot of fears your brain tells you like “If you fall you will die” which isn’t necessarily true. I have also been horse back riding for 21 years now and although it’s not a cardio or strength workout, it’s definitely a good core/balance workout. Plus animal/horse therapy is awesome! :) All of these sports/activities require I am in decent shape so I make sure I do cardio (my favorite being running and Spin class) and supplemental strength training (I like body sculpt and circuit training best) in order to get the most from the other activities I do :) …OH! And I also like hiking (you kind of have to hike to get to the rock climbing places) and Scuba diving which would require at least some basic swimming skills :P

Hope this helps for your show!! :)

Sara

65 Emma January 26, 2011 at 9:10 am

This is so awesome. I’m in Orlando and I totally need to try that place. It looks SO fun!!! Also that salmon looks delish.

66 Laurie January 26, 2011 at 9:11 am

Congrats Meghann! So happy for you!

67 Gwen January 26, 2011 at 9:47 am

That sounds like a lot of fun! The Today show did a special segment a while ago (could have been early 2010) about all of the different kind of classes that were not straight up, typical gym classes. It was fascinating! Can’t wait to see your final product.

68 Meghan January 26, 2011 at 9:50 am

Congrats I will be sure to watch!

Check out Augille Rock Climbing gym (Longwood), Orlando Rowing Club and dragon boats (though people can’t just drop in they do a learn to row day). What about sport leagues in the area too, or the Beginngers 5k programs (Fleet Feet has one).

Good luck!

69 Kacy January 26, 2011 at 10:31 am

Wow, that is incredibly cool! You will be so good at that. Congrats!

70 Allie January 26, 2011 at 11:33 am

How awesome for you to have your own show? Congrats!

71 Natalia - a side of simple January 26, 2011 at 11:40 am

This is so exciting! Congratulations :)

72 LauraJayne January 26, 2011 at 12:08 pm

I’m sure a TON of people have suggested this, but I was in the best shape of my life when I was doing Pole Fitness regularly! That’s what got me fit enough to do my first real push-ups!

For affordable options, I always like Ultimate Frisbee (find a park, do it) and things like roller skating and other “playground” games. We have adult kickball and dodgeball leagues here (and I’m sure you do there as well) and those are a TON of fun! Dodgeball can be a killer workout!

73 Brittany January 26, 2011 at 2:54 pm

That’s so awesome! Congratulations :) I really want to host a show…except I really am after Samantha Brown’s job! haha

74 Sarah January 26, 2011 at 3:41 pm

ROLLER DERBY!

75 Jessi @ Quirky Cookery January 26, 2011 at 8:06 pm

That’s so exciting!! Isn’t it weird how this isn’t happening to any of us, but we’re all so excited and pumped for you!? I’m seriously sitting here, grinning ear to ear, giddy off what amazing ideas you have and how there couldn’t be a better person to host these. So awesome.

76 Nicole January 27, 2011 at 4:48 pm

Yeah I would check the facts if you are making a tv show and state its the ‘only one of the world’. Skyzone started a while ago

77 Meghann January 27, 2011 at 4:53 pm

I commented this above, But…

I spent an hour interviewing him on those facts. :)

78 Katie G (http://justrollwithitblog.blogspot.com) January 28, 2011 at 3:10 pm

Congrats Meghann!! I’ve seen a few comments on indoor rock climbing, and I totally agree that would be a great subject and place to film! Also, what about things that you don’t need a “place to go”. You can show a lot of the fun things you can do on your own or with friends. Running, of course, but also biking, hiking, canoeing, etc.