To Run Or Not To Run

by Meghann on January 24, 2011

Good Morning! And Happy Monday!

This morning I woke up debating the eternal question “to run or not to run.”

To run:

• I need to get a few more runs in before my half marathon on Sunday anyways
  • The sun is shining bright and my legs feel great
  • All the other fitness classes I looked up didn’t start for two more hours and I hate to disrupt my work day by taking a class mid-morning

Not to run:

• It’s cold and I’m a wimp
  • I could start Part II of the 6 Week 6 Pack DVD instead
  • My apartment is nice and toasty. Outside is not.

Which would you choose?

After 30 minutes of diddle-dollying around the apartment I decided to run! πŸ™‚ Once I had all my gear on and was running outside I knew the decision was a good one. Sometimes thinking about going on the run is worst than actually running. I kicked out 5 miles at a sub-9:00 min/mile pace and ended with a big smile on my face.

Breakfast was a great post-run warm up.

Oatmeal!

Morning Mix:

• 1/3 cup Rolled Oats
  • 1/3 cup Water
  • 1/3 cup Almond Milk
  • Chia Seeds
  • Pinch of Salt
  • Pumpkin

Toppings:

• Pumpkin Butter
  • Almond Butter
  • Maple Nut Granola Munch
  • Blueberries
  • Strawberries

The best bites have the best of everything in them.

I have a busy day ahead of me! A couple of proposals I submitted last week were approved, so the time has come to follow through with them. I also have a fun post coming up at lunch time with a few questions I would love to get your opinions on!

What are your Monday morning plans?

1 Stacy @ Every Little Thing January 24, 2011 at 10:15 am

I wish I had time to actually create that kind of breakfast on the weekdays. I know it doesn’t have to take a lot of time but when I leave for work by 6:30 a.m., time is limited! I break my breakfast up into parts, eating some at home and some when I get to work. It turns out fine and I eat really good foods in the morning, but it would be nice to have a filling breakfast at home once in a while instead of on-the-go or at work!
Stacy @ Every Little Thing recently posted..Edamame Quinoa Salad

2 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat January 24, 2011 at 10:16 am

Great job on getting up and out for your run Meghann! I started my day with a run too (although it was on the treadmill, I refuse to run at -24C temperatures!) and Body Pump. Here’s to a productive morning!
Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat recently posted..Bloggers and a buffet

3 Jessica @ dalyauthenticity.blogspot.com January 24, 2011 at 10:16 am

I am so jealous that you have strawberries right now!

Honestly, I don’t loathe Monday’s like most people do. I enjoy getting the week started off right, with a good work out, and reflecting on all the fun I had on the weekend! Today, I plan on signing up for my first 1/2 Marathon! Now, I’ve gotta choose which one!
Jessica @ dalyauthenticity.blogspot.com recently posted..Stuffed Chicken Breast

4 Jenn @ LiveWellFitNow January 24, 2011 at 10:18 am

Oh the ever debated to exercise or not question…anytime I debate I know I actually NEED to exercise- unless that is my body truly needs rest or time off. Otherwise I just DO IT. πŸ™‚
Jenn @ LiveWellFitNow recently posted..Green couscous n fresh OJ

5 Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun January 24, 2011 at 10:18 am

You are on a roll this Mon morning. Hope the rest of the day goes as well!
Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun recently posted..Self-Love Reflections- Gifts of the Body

6 Kara January 24, 2011 at 10:20 am

I always think that thinking about running in the cold is so much worse than actually running in the cold!
Kara recently posted..Race announcement!

7 Rae January 24, 2011 at 10:23 am

Same question, 700 miles north of ya πŸ™‚ Its -5 out here today and I need to either do a 17 mile long run or 13 mile tempo….or sandbag one of them this week in favor of a high quality spin. I dont know if im brave enough to face sub zero temps for that long…or be on the ‘mill for that long wither πŸ˜›
Rae recently posted..Lemons

8 Jena January 24, 2011 at 10:23 am

Great run! I think it was warmer this morning than it was yesterday morning.

I’m at work this morning and I have a stack of patients to register and enter charges for. We are also seeing patients this morning. I enjoy busy days. I’ve had my fair share of slow days so I welcome these mornings when I have things to do.

Happy Monday
Jena recently posted..Mermaids

9 VeggieGirl January 24, 2011 at 10:34 am

My Monday morning plans = get well! I have a high fever, chills, and weakness πŸ™
VeggieGirl recently posted..Mission- NYE in NYC – Part 3

10 Katy @ RecipeCan January 24, 2011 at 10:40 am

Run for all of us who can’t πŸ™‚ It’s 3 degrees in Boston…I don’t even want to walk across the street!

11 Christina January 24, 2011 at 10:42 am

you rock the bells because I’m a super duper wimp and refuse to go outside in this weather.

Have you started the 6 week to 6 pack dvd? I’m contemplating on buying it but I feel like I already have so many that I don’t use it woudln’t be worth it. I don’t have any ab workouts though so it sorta would be worth it right? lol
Christina recently posted..Guest Post- Mr &amp Mrs Food

12 Meghann January 24, 2011 at 12:17 pm

Hi Christina, Yes I’m going a 6 week challenge. You can read about it at this post http://mealsandmiles.com/2011/01/04/jillian-michaels-six-week-six-pack-challenge/

13 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) January 24, 2011 at 10:48 am

I’m at school. Lovely Monday for me… not πŸ™‚ Good job on getting the run in. If I have to think about it, I never end up going!
Kate (What Kate is Cooking) recently posted..Getting Organized- Part Deux

14 Lisa @ Treadmill Runner January 24, 2011 at 10:49 am

Your granola and fruit dish looks really good and so simple to make! Mmmm..

15 sarah (sarah learns) January 24, 2011 at 10:50 am

good job getting out and doing your run this morning. sadly, when i let myself debate about it, i know i’m going to end up not going. if i don’t give myself the option, then i’ll go get it done! i have to play mind games with myself.
sarah (sarah learns) recently posted..superbowl- here we come! veggie mac recipe

16 kristy @ kristyruns.com January 24, 2011 at 11:01 am

I went out to breakfast at 7 am with my husband…something we never do! πŸ™‚ Good way to start off the week.
kristy @ kristyruns.com recently posted..A Bad Day

17 Denisse January 24, 2011 at 11:03 am

Great Job on getting the run in. I hate thinking about working out because my mind always wins, so now I try to go out an just do it. Unfortunately today, I am sick so I couldn’t get myself to do anything.

How do you handle running when you are sick with a cold/cough?
Denisse recently posted..What a Drive

18 Meghann January 24, 2011 at 12:18 pm

If it’s above the shoulders I pretty much suck it up and go for it, but it really depends on my attitude. If I’m not training for anything, I turn into a big baby and don’t run. Instead I like to walk on the treadmill reading magazines.

19 Nhung January 24, 2011 at 11:05 am

Hey Megan, I was wondering where did you get that bag of chia?

20 Meghann January 24, 2011 at 12:18 pm

From Whole Foods. It was on sale for a decent price a few weeks ago.

21 Kelly January 24, 2011 at 11:08 am

Good for you for getting out there and running! I feel as though my workout is going to be skipped today πŸ™
Kelly recently posted..Feeling Rough

22 Tina January 24, 2011 at 11:09 am

It’s 2 degrees here and the snow banks are taller than me. Please run outside for me! πŸ™‚
Tina recently posted..Sweet Potato Breakfast Pudding

23 Ashley January 24, 2011 at 11:10 am

I’m swamped with school work right now and I actually chose the “not to run” option. Your breakfast looks delicious!
Ashley recently posted..Epic Fail and Indian Food

24 Ashley January 24, 2011 at 11:10 am

I would love to try Attune granola but haven’t seen it in stores. Where can I find it?? Thanks!

25 Meghann January 24, 2011 at 12:18 pm

Whole Foods πŸ™‚

26 Megan @ AVeryMegGirl January 24, 2011 at 11:12 am

Awesome job getting out there and running.. NYC is wayyyy to cold to run outside so I think I will be hitting the treadmill after work today πŸ™‚
Megan @ AVeryMegGirl recently posted..Burrrrrrr

27 Hope January 24, 2011 at 11:15 am

That oatmeal looks great! My Monday morning is not exciting at all. I’m at work. At least I’m making money and I’m in the warmth right now and outside where it’s 9 degrees. πŸ™‚
Hope recently posted..4 Degrees &amp Spinach- Tomato &amp Mozzarella Stuffed Chicken…

28 Michaela January 24, 2011 at 11:17 am

I’m battling a wicked hangover and finishing my homework that I didn’t do yesterday. Woof.

29 Courtney @ The Granola Chronicles January 24, 2011 at 11:20 am

I bet you’re so happy you went for that run – you’ll never regret a workout!

30 Allison @ PickyEatingRD January 24, 2011 at 11:23 am

Your morning is prob more exciting than mine! I have already seen 5 clients and its only 10:30 busy busy busy! I have a workout planned in an hour then back to work!

31 Elizabeth@The Sweet Life January 24, 2011 at 11:27 am

I always feel better after I’ve gone for a run–there’s nothing like it! Hope you can power through the cold.
Elizabeth@The Sweet Life recently posted..Oatmeal Wheat Bread and Life Lessons

32 Grace January 24, 2011 at 11:29 am

I was concerned about the cold yesterday before my run and it turned out to be one of my best runs since…June. I don’t have great runs very often. My plans for this morning apparently included sleeping in until 11 and later reading lots of textbooks.
Grace recently posted..At the Copa…Copacabana

33 amy January 24, 2011 at 11:33 am

Run! You’ll feel better! Or maybe not….you might regret it too if it’s too cold πŸ™‚ haha im kidding, you can do it!!
amy recently posted..Today’s Long Run

34 michelle January 24, 2011 at 11:34 am

I just got back from a great 8 miler and 30 minute weight session. Happy Monday!
michelle recently posted..Sunday Funday

35 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday January 24, 2011 at 11:35 am

Today, I would choose not to run. But I did do 12 miles yesterday. Woot woot!

36 Michelle January 24, 2011 at 11:36 am

Woot for a good run!

I never want to get out of bed (well, ever), but I never regret the run πŸ™‚
Michelle recently posted..Feelin’ the Love

37 Matt January 24, 2011 at 11:37 am

I have never regretted a run! Looks like you are the same way πŸ˜‰

38 Maria January 24, 2011 at 11:37 am

Oo your oatmeal looks amazing! I have most of those things and rarely remember to put them in my oatmeal. Tomorrow morning is a must!
Maria recently posted..Ciambellone- Clementines

39 Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine January 24, 2011 at 11:37 am

Yay for running! I can pretty much guarantee that I’m not going to run outside at all any time soon. I don’t do well in negative wind chills. Hope you have a great and productive day!
Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine recently posted..Food Staples

40 Katherine: Unemployed January 24, 2011 at 11:45 am

class… not fun
Katherine: Unemployed recently posted..Rosie

41 Katie @ Life... Discombobulated January 24, 2011 at 11:50 am

Your enthusiasm for running always inspires me and makes me smile! πŸ™‚
Katie @ Life… Discombobulated recently posted..Present

42 Christin@purplebirdblog January 24, 2011 at 11:53 am

My Monday morning is work work work all day until 4:30, when I break to head out for class. I won’t return home until 10:30-11… Mondays are busybusy!! πŸ™‚
Christin@purplebirdblog recently posted..Full of Awesome

43 Sara (Miles & Manhattan) January 24, 2011 at 11:54 am

I feel like you always decide to run, you’re so good and definitely an inspiration!!!
Sara
Sara (Miles & Manhattan) recently posted..GYM Pet Peeves…

44 Valerie from Love and Running January 24, 2011 at 11:58 am

your breakfast looks delicious!!!!!

great job on your run!! I hate debating on a run but I am usually happy once I run it πŸ™‚
Valerie from Love and Running recently posted..I moved

45 Alaina January 24, 2011 at 12:07 pm

It’s a busy day for me! Right now I’m at my mom’s office and then I’m off to the hotel for work. Then the same thing tomorrow. I am soo looking forward to my vacation!
Alaina recently posted..It’s a Hard Rock Life

46 wendy sue January 24, 2011 at 12:14 pm

I felt the same way yesterday! Eventually I went outside for the run and enjoyed it immensely. I have an old nike ad on my fridge that says” If you went running when you first started thinking about it, you’d be back by now.”

What are those attune granola chips? They look tasty!

47 Katy (The Singing Runner) January 24, 2011 at 12:26 pm

Looks great! Sometimes when I don’t want to run I think about how good I will feel afterwards! πŸ˜€

48 Lauren @ Running Examiner January 24, 2011 at 12:32 pm

I love it when a run unexpectedly turns out great!

I am so jealous that you’re able to run outside. πŸ™ I am so, so sick of the treadmill. I actually don’t mind the cold (I have a ridiculous amount of cold-weather running gear), but the icy sidewalks in Jersey City make running outside far too perilous right now…
Lauren @ Running Examiner recently posted..Run in the New Year

49 Tami January 24, 2011 at 12:44 pm

it was -11 this morning so I did not run outside but I did go to the gym!

50 Jennie @ Designed to be Fit January 24, 2011 at 12:49 pm

Whenever I have this inner debate, I always tell myself, “You never regret a run” and that gets me out the door.

I always just tell myself to do 10 minutes, and if I still feel like coming home, I will. Usually I find my stride after the first mile and stay out for the duration of my planned distance. πŸ™‚

51 Virginia Gregory January 24, 2011 at 1:10 pm

I can totally relate to the cold weather blues. I signed up for the NYRR Manhattan Half Marathon in Central Park to kick start my 2011 running and it happened to fall on this past Saturday when the high was forecasted for 15 degrees! I had a few moments of doubt about whether I could handle the cold weather in the week leading up to the race, but I layered up on Saturday morning and pulled it off even finishing just under my sub-2 hour goal by a few minutes! The other 5000+ runners at the start made me feel more confident that I could do it too – I even saw a guy wearing just a tank top and shorts (crazy!). Reading your blog definitely inspired me to get out there and do it – and I’m so glad that I did!
Virginia Gregory recently posted..Invaluable Ingredients

52 Lauren @ Hungry Dancer January 24, 2011 at 1:19 pm

I had this same debate the other day!! Oatmeal look so good!! This Monday morning I’m at work!
Lauren @ Hungry Dancer recently posted..Swing!

53 Kerris @ Baby, Be Fit January 24, 2011 at 1:30 pm

Kudos to you for getting out there and running! It’s been freezing where I live…about 7 degrees last night. I can’t wait for spring to get here…best time to run outdoors!
Kerris @ Baby, Be Fit recently posted..Races

54 megan @ blackberries for jam January 24, 2011 at 2:03 pm

I will run outside as long as it’s above zero. It may take a while to gather the momentum to step out the door, but I’m always so glad I did it.

This morning, however, it was -24. I will not be leaving my house today. Thank goodness for exercise DVDs.
megan @ blackberries for jam recently posted..One Pot Tofu Vegetable Stew

55 Lauren January 24, 2011 at 2:14 pm

I’m running inside today because right now it is -2 degrees outside. But, I have seen a few runners today outside. Crazy!
Lauren recently posted..Nuts &amp Seeds Galore

56 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey January 24, 2011 at 3:31 pm

I was goint to run today too, but then I looked outside and saw a fresh blanket of snow and didn’t feel like going to the gym. I’m training with Jilian this afternoon!
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..game plan

57 Kacy January 24, 2011 at 3:53 pm

My Monday morning involved a trip to the doctor. Groan. Hopefully I’m on my way to being healed now though.

Sounds like a great run and that oatmeal looks delish!

58 Jill January 24, 2011 at 4:23 pm

I would RUN!! πŸ™‚

59 Claire Z. January 24, 2011 at 5:50 pm

I’d love to hear what you think of Part 2 of that workout. I’ve done part 1 on On-Demand and I am pretty convinced Jillian’s on something in this video.

60 Ali @ Ali Runs January 24, 2011 at 8:51 pm

Glad you decided to run!! It was -17 today in Western New York!! brrrr…most of my friend’s had trouble starting their car.
Ali @ Ali Runs recently posted..5K Race Recap

61 Richelle January 24, 2011 at 9:23 pm

When you have trouble gettting out in the cold, just think of us canadians that run in -15 to -25 degrees celcius all winter! Hopefully it will help. That breakfast looks great.
Richelle recently posted..New Grain

62 Melissa January 25, 2011 at 8:20 am

You have to love the post run feeling. Definitely worth it to just push yourself out the door!
Melissa recently posted..Rock Out