more ยป" />

Overnight Oats Breakdown

by Meghann on January 20, 2011

Good Morning Friends!

I completed Day 2 of Week 2 of the 6 Week 6 Pack DVD challenge this morning. I had plans to do more strength training or cardio after the DVD, but the DVD seems soooo long to me (ok 30 minutes isn’t that long, but I have a short attention span) that I never have motivation to do anything else afterwards. Also, I’m a tad sore from Dance Trance last night (who knew I worked my arms that much?) and my body said it needed a break.

Last night I was inspired to prep a breakfast I usually enjoy over the summer – Overnight Oats.

I go through stages with certain foods and for some reason Overnight Oats rarely appeals to me during the winter months. It’s cold, creamy, delicious, and much more of a summer staple in my opinion. However, the cold, creamy oats sounded so good last night I knew it was worth the extra effort to prep for breakfast this morning.

If you’re new around here (p.s. HELLO to all my new January readers!) here’s a basic breakdown of overnight oats.

1. The night before (or really 30 minutes before you want to eat) combine 1/2 cup Rolled Oats (Yes, RAW rolled oats), 1/2 cup Plain Yogurt, 1/2 cup Milk (you’ll want to eyeball this one), Cinnamon, Scoop of Peanut Butter, Pinch of Chia Seeds, and Raisins (or any other mix-in you want – chocolate chips, berries, nuts, etc)
  2. Let the mix sit in the fridge over night or 30 minutes (the shorter the time the chewier the oats)
  3. Take out of the fridge and top with berries, granola, etc.
  4. Enjoy!

What are you waiting for? You’ll never know what you’re missing until you try it. All the cool kids are.

;)

I don’t know how the weather is where you are, but it’s BEAUTIFUL outside in Central Florida. Shining sun… temps in the high 70s… now THIS is what I call a Florida winter. Too bad it’s suppose to get back to freezing this weekend.

Speaking of freezing…

This Saturday I’ll be participating in the second annual Polar Plunge at Sea World’s Aquatica Water Park.

26130704_240X206.jpg

Brr…

As Central Florida has no way to form a true ‘polar club’ (our cold winter water is roughly the same temps as California’s warm summer water) we have to take matters into our own hands around here. On Saturday Aquatica will be turning their normal tropical wave pool into an icy bath that 1,000+ participants will willingly dive into in an effort to raise money for the local Special Olympics.

I registered for this ‘plunge’ weeks ago (you can still donate to my fund-raising page here) and am oddly excited about diving into the freezing water. Forecasted temps for Saturday morning are currently hovering in the high 50s (which should only add to the intensity of the experience).

This should be fun! :)

Have you ever taken a polar plunge or been a part of a polar club? Did you freeze your tushie off?

1 Cate January 20, 2011 at 9:46 am

I haven’t really tried oatmeal, but your breakfast looks mighty tasty!
A Polar Plunge sounds cold! I love the cause you are supporting though! Good luck Saturday morning :)

2 Katie January 20, 2011 at 9:46 am

I was supposed to last year, I wasn’t registered for a team but was going to for fun. Unfortunately, my friend’s birthday had been the night before. I overindulged by a LOT and woke up with the very very worst hangover I’ve had in my life. My family and friends convinced me that a polar bear plunge was NOT a cure for that.

3 Stacy @ Every Little Thing January 20, 2011 at 9:47 am

I am doing a drinking event called Cabin Fever this weekend, outside in the cold :) That’s as close as I’ve come to a Polar event!

Glad you have nice weather. We got 11 inches of snow overnight, with two more coming!

Thanks for the overnight oats tutorial. I’m saving this!

4 Meghann January 20, 2011 at 2:48 pm

Cabin Fever? How does that work? :)

5 Gabby (Quest for Delicious) January 20, 2011 at 9:49 am

I’ve read about overnight oats for ages now and I’ve still never tried them! I think I should probably get on that.

6 kristy @ kristyruns.com January 20, 2011 at 9:54 am

Overnight oats are awesome year round! Had them this morning! :)

7 Gill (snaxandthecity) January 20, 2011 at 9:55 am

Ooh overnight oats, yum!
I am totally envious of your weather. It’s 4 degrees in London!

8 Ellie January 20, 2011 at 10:00 am

NO – but I’ve thought about is I would or wouldn’t do it a lot. I go back and forth back and forth

Also I’ve been doing Jillian Shred it With Weight. It’s shorter than 6 pack in 6 weeks and I really enjoy it.

9 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) January 20, 2011 at 10:00 am

I am going to give overnight oats a try. They would make a great quick breakfast!

10 Jennie @ Designed To Be Fit January 20, 2011 at 10:02 am

Ive tried overnight oats a couple of times and they never turned out very good. I think it’s because I’m not a huge fan of yogurt in the morning?

11 Meghann January 20, 2011 at 2:49 pm

You can try it with just milk? Not sure though – if you don’t like mushy yogurt that could be a problem. :)

12 Jennie @ Designed To Be Fit January 20, 2011 at 2:57 pm

It’s worth a try! I actually just fell in love with vanilla greek yogurt, which is a lot thicker than the yogurt I tried in overnight oats before. I think I might test it out tomorrow! :) Thanks for the breakdown though, it seems like such an easy thing to do but when I first started reading I had no idea what overnight oats consisted of.

13 Melissa January 20, 2011 at 10:05 am

Ha we did a polar plunge at girl scout camp!!!

I too also always feel pretty spent after 6W6P. Maybe it’s just a really great workout! lol

14 Natalie @ Will Jog For Food January 20, 2011 at 10:06 am

The oats look yummy!

I am way too much of a wimp to do a polar bear club, haha. My friend’s bro did it in NY and said it was one of the worst things he’s ever done, yikes.

15 Kelli @ HowdyFromNYC January 20, 2011 at 10:06 am

I did a “Polar Bear Swim” a few years ago . When I jumped in the water my body went into shock and I couldn’t breathe or move or anything. Scary!! It was fun though, definitely an experience. Have fun!

16 Ali @ Ali on the Run January 20, 2011 at 10:08 am

That’s great that you’re sore from a dance class. I take hip hop at my gym sometimes but I get so frustrated because it rarely feels like a workout. I wish NYC had Dance Trance!

17 Rae January 20, 2011 at 10:11 am

lol…yes, ive done the “plunge” in upstate NY in February….yowza!! Its like an ice bath times a million, but so much fun :-) Good luck!

18 Michelle @ Living Learning Earning January 20, 2011 at 10:13 am

I keep hearing about overnight oats but have never tried them… it sounds (looks?) like I’m missing out- they look delicious!

19 Sara January 20, 2011 at 10:27 am

I was supposed to go down to Tampa this weekend, but I had to change my plans. I wish I hadn’t, though, because I’d love to come down and enjoy your “freezing” temperatures; it’s supposed to be a high of 13 here this Saturday! :(

20 Kelly January 20, 2011 at 10:29 am

Yikes! I can’t even bear to take a ice bath after long runs. Being cold is my least favorite thing ever. Surprisingly, my husband has become intrigued with overnight oats so I think I’m going to make them for him sometime soon and hope that he likes them.

21 Courtney @ The Granola Chronicles January 20, 2011 at 10:31 am

I’ve never done the Polar Plunge, though I think it’s such a great event for a great cause. Good luck!!

22 Kierstan @ Life {and running} in Iowa January 20, 2011 at 10:36 am

I whipped up some overnight oats AND banana soft serve for breakfast this morning – a total summertime staple, yet it is only 18* here today… Totally delicious.

I have never done a polar plunge…brrr!

23 Kelly January 20, 2011 at 10:38 am

My one friend is doing one up here!

24 Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine January 20, 2011 at 10:38 am

My grandfather used to do the polar bear plunge like 25-30 years ago, when it was more of a cheap thrill on New Year’s Eve. I love that people are doing it to raise money for good causes though- good luck!

25 Katy (The Singing Runner) January 20, 2011 at 10:47 am

I’ve always wanted to do a polar plunge but I don’t have the courage! ;) But I live in Florida so it can’t be too bad?

26 Beth ( Will Run for Books ) January 20, 2011 at 10:50 am

You are braver than me! I don’t do jumping into freezing cold water! Although maybe I would be more open to it if winter wasn’t so ridiculous in Chicago!

I actually make my overnight oats with LOTS of chia seeds and just soymilk (a la Oh She Glows ) because I don’t like yogurt. It’s so yummy!

27 SaraRM January 20, 2011 at 11:04 am

If I wasnt starving right now I would make the oats.. maybe tomrrow!
Im iced in this morning and is soooo cold negative wind chill so ya… id gladly take 50s.
What a fun chirty event. I love it!

28 Gavi @ GaviGetsGoing! January 20, 2011 at 11:11 am

To help me prepare for my triathlon last fall, I swam in the San Francisco Bay a few times. I wore a wetsuit (and two swimcaps to keep my head warm!) so I wasn’t technically part of the polar bear club (no wetsuits allowed!), but it was an incredible experience nonetheless. I loved swimming in the cold water–it really shocks your system!

29 Ashley January 20, 2011 at 11:12 am

I love over night oats! But I usually only use almond milk, I bet yogurt gives it a really good texture. I’ve never done a polar plunge but I’ve heard of them good luck!

30 Tara January 20, 2011 at 11:15 am

I’m doing a Polar Plunge in 2 weeks in Vermont! It will be my first one which is good because I have NO IDEA how cold it will be! Good Luck!

31 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat January 20, 2011 at 11:16 am

I have never done anything like the Polar Plunge, but I admire you for doing it! It’s not often that I voluntarily subject myself to cold temperatures unless I’m walking to my car!!! My mum actually just got back from Florida and tells me the weather was gorgeous. Send some sunshine up this way! :)

32 Kara January 20, 2011 at 11:21 am

I can’t even bring myself to do an ice bath…you are a brave woman! Are you getting Derek to do this too? I think my husband would rather go shoe shopping with me than jump in freezing water :)

33 Meghann January 20, 2011 at 2:50 pm

No, Derek is staying at home. I don’t see him diving into freezing water willingly :)

34 Grace January 20, 2011 at 11:31 am

Ahh! You’re crazy…I’m not too good with cold water. But I can’t wait to see a blog about it. I love when the theme parks do non-tourist type events! I am doing a 5K through Track Shack at Universal on the 29th! Not nearly as exciting or daring as a polar plunge but I like running in the theme parks.

35 Hope January 20, 2011 at 11:40 am

I love overnight oats. I haven’t had them in such a long time! They are so good.

I don’t think I would ever be able to do a polar bear plunge! I’m too much of a wimp. Haha.

36 Avery (Young Aspirations) January 20, 2011 at 11:49 am

I love these year round too! Sometimes I’ll take them out of the fridge and even pop them in the microwave for a minute or so. Hot oats without the time! What’s not to love?

37 Rachel @ Fit Fun and Fabulous January 20, 2011 at 11:56 am

Yikes! I am EXTREMELY sensitive to the cold (live in Texas and think it is way too cold even here in the winter) so the idea of willingly participating in something like this is not my cup of tea.

Brrrrr!!

38 Kiran January 20, 2011 at 12:08 pm

Good luck in your Polar Plunge and no, thank you for me. Where I come from, its tropical season throughout the year. I am comfortable with the current temps and can’t bear the idea of a freezing plunge. Kudos to you though :)

39 Krystina January 20, 2011 at 12:10 pm

God, how I miss the Florida winter. I hate snow. :(

40 sarah (sarah learns) January 20, 2011 at 12:26 pm

i know people who do the polar plunge in my hometown in WISCONSIN every day. i think they’re CRAZY! lol, that doesn’t appeal to me at all!

41 Patrice @ A New Sweetness January 20, 2011 at 12:34 pm

Overnight Oats sound incredible! thanks for sharing this again :)

42 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey January 20, 2011 at 12:36 pm

I love overnight oats! They’re on the menu for tomorrow since I’m doing OIAJ! Super excited about that one already (can you tell?). I love how everyone does their overnight oats differently!

43 Katie January 20, 2011 at 12:43 pm

I love overnight oats, I love my oats cold ; ) even in the winter right now when its freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeezing out, i love my oats cold!

Yikes polar plunge, will be cold for sure!!!!!

44 Rachel January 20, 2011 at 12:43 pm

When I first started reading food blogs I thought overnight oats sounded crazy. Now I eat them probably once a week!

I’ve always wanted to do the polar plunge! Good Luck!

45 Maren January 20, 2011 at 12:58 pm

Those overnight oats look awesome. The overnight variety taste so much better than plain hot I think.

46 Christine January 20, 2011 at 1:00 pm

The overnight oats sound amazing and I am going to have to try them.

As for the polar plunge, that would be a resounding no. But I did see some men do that in Russia once, in February. I was sure they wouldn’t all make it out of the water, but they did.

47 Christin@purplebirdblog January 20, 2011 at 1:34 pm

I had overnight oats this morning as well! I had a waning almond butter jar begging to be used up. We had a gorgeous day yesterday and today it is 40 something with winds strong enough to blow our patio chairs around! We have a natural springs around here where the water temp is an average of 68 degrees, and that is toooo cold for me! I like my water to feel like a nice bath, so the polar plunge thing would kill me!

48 Caitlin (EatFeats) January 20, 2011 at 1:38 pm

I’ve done some open water swims in the SF Bay in October/November. Ouch. I don’t wear wetsuits, and, last time I swam Tiburon, I turned purple and it was scary and then I decided to not do those swims for a while. Hopefully this year I can get back into it!

49 Marina January 20, 2011 at 1:40 pm

I love overnight oats. I had some trouble figuring out the righ combo for soaking, now I use full fat thick yogurt, which makes the perfect oo :)

50 Lauren @Hungry Dancer January 20, 2011 at 2:00 pm

Wow good job on taking the plunge!! I’ve never done anything like that, but I’m excited to hear how it ends up going! I tried overnight oats once and it didn’t turn out very well….maybe I’ll have to give it another shot.

51 Kristen January 20, 2011 at 2:25 pm

I would just like to say that it is 22 degrees with 8 inches of snow on the ground here in St. Louis. I am jealous…

My hubs did the Polar Plunge here last year… I think the outside temp was hovering around freezing, windy, and the water temps were in the mid 40s. Brrr… Have fun! I don’t care where you live but “plunging” into cold water is NEVER fun! Can’t wait to see pics!

52 Kacy January 20, 2011 at 3:36 pm

I can’t imagine that I’d ever willingly do a polar plunge. I hate being in cold water!

53 Jessi @ Quirky Cookery January 20, 2011 at 4:39 pm

I’ve seen a lot of overnight oats over the years considering how much of a staple they seem to be for a lot of food bloggers. Maybe it’s because of it being the middle of winter and mostly seeing hot oats right now or maybe because it just looked really, really good, but your post suddenly makes me want to go try them for the first time. I think the combination with berries and granola just finally pushed it over the top for me. Looks delicious.

54 Lacey @ Lake Life January 20, 2011 at 4:49 pm

I live on a lake that has a Polar Bear plunge every March but I’ve always been a spectator, never a jumper. Good luck!

55 Josephine @ Creating a Positive Life January 20, 2011 at 4:50 pm

I like to think I did the ultimate polar plunge. I did mine in the Arctic Ocean off the coast of Alaska, not once but on two separate occasions. It was crazy cold! Especially since it wasn’t warm weather to come out of the water too, brrrrr.

56 Alex January 20, 2011 at 5:52 pm

I am SO EXCITED that you are doing the Polar Bear Plunge! My older brother is an athlete for Special Olympics so this really means a lot to me. HAVE FUN!

57 Sarah January 20, 2011 at 7:56 pm

That looks delicious! I have been on an oatmeal kick lately and always hear about “overnight oats,” but was wondering how exactly you make them. Thanks for the insight!

58 Kelly Schussler January 23, 2011 at 5:17 pm

Thanks for this post! I’m a new food blogger and have been reading many healthy living blogs that talk about overnight oats but no one had a detailed recipe for a newbie. I’m going to make this tonight for tomorrow! Thanks!

59 Angelina June 11, 2011 at 12:40 pm

Hello from Indonesia! Just discovered your blog and I love it. I’m not a fan of cold oatmeal for breakfast though. Usually I have oatmeal mixed in hot chocolate milk with raisins, banana, and cinnamon. Oatmeal in cold milk/yoghurt and frozen berries is my favorite midnite snack. :)

60 Marty August 16, 2011 at 9:11 pm

Got this in the fridge as we speak…write…looking forward to a tasty breakfast. Love oatmeal, so this is right up my alley. Thanks for the recipe.

61 Jennifer April 19, 2012 at 10:07 am

Well…..I loved it so much I’m making it for the second day in a row! What a great recipe! I never would have thought of this! Thanks!!!