Making Myself at Home

by Meghann on January 20, 2011

Tonight I took a break from ‘office hopping’ to spend the evening at my sister’s apartment. My sister works from home as well, so it was nice to have the chance to catch up with her.

On the way over I had a juicy apple in the car.

Upon arrival Maddie had no problem making herself right at home

Nor did I 😉

I may or may not have stolen Anthony’s last Sam Adams Lattitude 48 IPA from the fridge

IMG_5280.jpg

In all fairness I did share it with Kelly. 😉

It was a great beer. It reminded my of a Dogfish 90 – very hoppy, but in a good way.

I also may or may not have invited myself for dinner.

It was getting close to 7:00 when Kelly and Anthony began throwing dinner ideas back and forth. I threw out breakfast for dinner and they went for it.

We decided on the classic dinner combo of hashbrowns, eggs, and toast.

Kelly and I tag teamed the hashbrowns while Anthony took charge of the eggs.

IMG_5290.jpg IMG_5291.JPG

My dinner was served in bowl form.

Scrambled eggs on top of hashbrowns covered in cheese and ketchup.

A piece of toast on the side with strawberry preserves.

What could be better? Actually bacon. Bacon probably would have made it better. 😉

Sometimes it pays to speak up and invite oneself to dinner. The key to doing it respectively?

1 – Offer to help cook

2 – Help clean afterward

3 – Buy dessert

I purchased a Groupon for Sweet! back in September and had been saving it for a special occasion, but it was burning a major hole in my pocket. Suddenly I had the urge to spend it NOW. Who needs a special occasion when you’re spending a random Thursday evening with your sister?

The Groupon was good for $25 and apparently $25 can buy you A LOT of cupcakes. We walked out with 4 regular cupcakes and 8 minis for 3 people.

We saved the big ones for another day and broke into the minis back at the apartment.

I tried half of the Mint Chocolate, Black out, and Cinnamon Cupcakes.

Surprisingly my favorite was the Cinnamon Cupcake. It tasted like a cinnamon donut. Love!

It’s late. Maddie is passed out. And I have an 8 mile run to prep for in the morning.

Good Night!

1 mindy @ just a one girl revolution. January 20, 2011 at 11:01 pm

What a fun night! I love quality time with my sisters…although when they’re 14 and 16 years older than me with husbands and kids, it’s a rarity.
mindy @ just a one girl revolution. recently posted..maybe- maybe not

2 Evan Thomas January 20, 2011 at 11:02 pm

What is family for if not inviting yourself over and eating each others food?

3 Kelly January 20, 2011 at 11:03 pm

Ah, I’m so in love with cupcake shops. They’re so cute and girly!
Kelly recently posted..The leftovers keep coming

4 Sara (Miles & Manhattan) January 20, 2011 at 11:04 pm

good reminder of how delicious bfast for dinner is!!
xoxo
s
Sara (Miles & Manhattan) recently posted..Brave New World…

5 Kiran January 20, 2011 at 11:05 pm

Fun night! Looking forward for our lunch meeting tomorrow 🙂
Kiran recently posted..Celebration!

6 Alissa January 20, 2011 at 11:07 pm

I may have missed it, but where is this amazing Cupcake shop located? The breakfast for dinner looks amazing!
Alissa recently posted..Goals 2011

7 Meghann January 21, 2011 at 11:24 am

It’s in the Waterford Lakes area of Orlando http://www.sweetbyholly.com/

8 Courtney @ The Granola Chronicles January 20, 2011 at 11:14 pm

Mmm, I love breakfast for dinner! Have a great night and an even better run in the morning!

9 Katie B. January 20, 2011 at 11:14 pm

I just got back from vacation in Orlando…I ran the Disney Marathon…and I fell in love with Sweet! Did you know that they won Cupcake Wars on the Food Network last night? Such great cupcakes! We don’t have self serve fro-yo places where I live so I took full advantage of that too 🙂 So good!!

10 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) January 20, 2011 at 11:15 pm

Breakfast for dinner is the best 🙂
Kate (What Kate is Cooking) recently posted..Getting Organized- Part Deux

11 Liz January 20, 2011 at 11:27 pm

Breakfast for dinner is definitely good, especially when you put your eggs on top of the toast with strawberry preserves.. My favorite!

12 Lisa @ Treadmill Runner January 20, 2011 at 11:34 pm

Where can I find the recipe for those hash browns? They look amazing! Thanks! ~Lisa
Lisa @ Treadmill Runner recently posted..Friday

13 Meghann January 21, 2011 at 11:25 am

Hi Lisa,

There really isn’t a recipe. We just browned the potatoes on the stove with onion and garlic. Seasoned it all with red crush peppers, oregano, salt, and pepper. And at the end added broccoli. It probably took 30 minutes until the potatoes were done?

14 Katy (The Singing Runner) January 20, 2011 at 11:37 pm

I love testing cupcakes! 😀 So much fun! When I was in DC, I got 6 cupcakes from Georgetown Cupcakes and had a tasting session with my family! 😀

15 Christin@purplebirdblog January 20, 2011 at 11:45 pm

Breakfast for dinner is always a good idea!!
Christin@purplebirdblog recently posted..Vanilla Bean French Toast

16 Lauren @Hungry Dancer January 21, 2011 at 12:12 am

Looks like so much fun! Family is the best!! Those mini cupcakes look out of this world!!
Lauren @Hungry Dancer recently posted..Personal Stylist

17 Krystina January 21, 2011 at 12:32 am

Sounds fun! I want to check out Sweet, but the shop is so crowded every time I’ve been. Have you been to her candy shop in Winter Park? It’s pretty cute.
Krystina recently posted..So- About That

18 Meghann January 21, 2011 at 11:27 am

It has only recently been crowded because of her appearances on the Food Network. Before then there was never a crowd! I’ve been a regular since it first opened like 6 yrs ago. 🙂

Where’s her candy shop? I didn’t know she had on!

19 Matt @ The Kitchen of a Runner January 21, 2011 at 6:27 am

Free food is the best kind right?

20 Katie January 21, 2011 at 6:41 am

Its nice your sis works from home too!

Yes spend that coupon girl! Those cupcakes look yum and I would of loved the mint chocolate one but the cinnamon one as you said does sound amazing!
Katie recently posted..Break Fast

21 Lauren January 21, 2011 at 6:44 am

I love the idea of adding broccoli to hash browns!! What a fun night.
Lauren recently posted..Insane Insanity- My Initial Thoughts and then some…

22 Christine January 21, 2011 at 7:06 am

MMM breakfast for dinner! Back in college so many of my dinners were at a local diner….and I had eggs/hash browns just like that. Except you know, I didn’t have to make them, and there was no beer.

23 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey January 21, 2011 at 7:09 am

I love breakfast for dinner – my roomates and I used to eat it all the time! You were a smooth dinner crasher, that’s for sure!
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..scholarly pup

24 Melissa January 21, 2011 at 8:01 am

I love cupcakes! That’s a perfect idea to cut them in half if you want to try more than one. Silly me for not thinking of that!
Melissa recently posted..Getting the Perfect Fit

25 Jennie @ Designed To Be Fit January 21, 2011 at 8:13 am

I wish my sister lived closer! Whenever I am visiting home I usually just show up and hang out with her and my baby nephew. I wish I could do it every day!
Jennie @ Designed To Be Fit recently posted..I’m Alive

26 Allie January 21, 2011 at 8:16 am

It is always nice to spend an evening with family 🙂 Dinner looks great and I am glad you had an awesome night! Have a good run this morning.
Allie recently posted..I have to admit

27 Hope January 21, 2011 at 8:23 am

I love fun sister nights! I am really close with my sister. So I love any chance that we get to hang out together. Always a fun time! I LOVE cupcake shops like that one! They are the best. The cupcakes look so yummy!
Hope recently posted..A Late Start &amp A Chipped Tooth…

28 Kim @ girlevolving January 21, 2011 at 8:34 am

8:34am isn’t too early to want cupcakes, right?
Kim @ girlevolving recently posted..reader recipe poll- pesto bean burgers

29 Meg January 21, 2011 at 9:02 am

Doesn’t get ANY better than family, food and sweets 🙂
Meg recently posted..How To- Tame a Face Freakout

30 Ashley January 21, 2011 at 9:11 am

That sounds like a great evening. I unwillingly had breakfast for dinner last night, but yours looks WAY better!

31 Jen G. January 21, 2011 at 9:15 am

This is a throw-back to a previous post, but I finally watched Extreme Couponing last night, TiVo-ed on your recommendation. I totally knew the last guy on the show (with the cereal tower in his driveway)! He was a friend from college I haven’t talked to in ages….

32 Tiffany January 21, 2011 at 9:17 am

You need to have a singles set up edition…with so many meals and miles readers….it would be interesting to see what happened…

Tiffany recently posted..Celebrating the Second Anniversary of Our Engagement

33 Mimi January 21, 2011 at 9:20 am

I really need to jump on the Groupon bandwagon!
Mimi recently posted..Pumpkin overload

34 Jenn January 21, 2011 at 9:29 am

Hi, I’d LOVE to run the nashville, dunedin, and savannah with you! I have the Manhattan half-marathon tomorrow but we just got hit with a blizzard today. it’s suppose to be 12F tomorrow. Would YOU run it if you were in my shoes? Debating here. Check out my website! An RD-to-be student and runner living in NYC. http://www.real-nutrition-nyc.com
Jenn recently posted..Tomorrow’s not lookin’ pretty –

35 Kara January 21, 2011 at 9:33 am

This post made me wish I had a sister 🙂

Those cupcakes look fantastic, I wish I didn’t live in farmland with no cupcake bakeries!

Enjoy your 8 mile run in the warm FL weather!
Kara recently posted..Here I go again on my own

36 Kelly January 21, 2011 at 9:37 am

Mmmm, cupcakes. Yummy.
Kelly recently posted..Sunday Funday

37 Rachel January 21, 2011 at 9:37 am

I love your groupon purchases!
Rachel recently posted..And we’re off!

38 sarah (sarah learns) January 21, 2011 at 9:45 am

what a fun night! 🙂 i wish my sister lived close enough that i could just go over for the evening. those cupcakes look pretty bomb too. i love cinnamon desserts – have you tried cinnamon ice cream? so good!
sarah (sarah learns) recently posted..making progress…

39 Kerris @ Baby, Be Fit January 21, 2011 at 9:51 am

I love it! Making yourself ‘at home’ with family. Sounds good to me! Looks like you made a fantastic dinner as well…I wish we had some of the frozen yogurt and cute bakeries that you have in FL up here in central PA…

40 Grace January 21, 2011 at 9:53 am

Breakfast anytime of day is my favorite! Sweet had a GroupOn…the GroupOn’s this week have been very lame in my opinion so I am VERY upset I missed it, maybe they’ll do it again sometime? I love Sweet…plus I live dangerously too close to it! My favorite is S’mores=)
Grace recently posted..Carb Love

41 Ali @ Ali Runs January 21, 2011 at 11:19 am

Breakfast for dinner has always been one of my all time favorite meals!! It’s so easy and tastes so good.

Also, how nice that you live so close to your sister. I love it when my sister and I are both home on breaks and see each other a ton. We are very close in age and people have always confused us for twins. I miss her!
Ali @ Ali Runs recently posted..45 Life Lessons

42 Kacy January 21, 2011 at 12:34 pm

Haha, I do that all the time. I even manage to jack the leftovers as often as possible.

43 Lacey @ Lake Life January 21, 2011 at 4:24 pm

That mint chocolate cupcake sounds delish!
Lacey @ Lake Life recently posted..MLK day black-out