When all else fails… force a restart.

by Meghann on January 18, 2011

Friends!

I didn’t think I would ever see you again after staring at this screen for the last two hours.

*gulp*

My Macbook has been acting funky lately, so I decided to restart it and install some updates this morning. Two hours of looking at the spinning grey screen later I began to realize something wasn’t right. Fears of losing my computer began to prance through my head as I thanked the heavens I had recently backed everything up on the ever practical external hard drive I had received for Christmas.

After a couple of encouraging tweets I crossed my fingers and forced a restart. When all else fails, force a restart, right? Luckily that was the trick it needed and I am now staring at an App Store icon on the bottom of the screen as well as a redone itunes icon (not a fan, I miss the classic itunes look!).

Crisis averted.

I had actually started the updates right before diving into my third week of Jillian Michaels’ 6 Week 6 Pack. This is my last week doing part I and I’ll admit I’m a little excited about starting part II next week. I haven’t peeked yet on what part II brings so it will be a nice surprise next Monday or Tuesday. Gotta start changing it up!

Berries were on my mind for breakfast this morning and they really made this bowl of cereal pop. The strawberries and blueberries were so fresh and so delicious.

• 1/2 cup Cinnamon Burst Cherrios (A new buy. Good, but not as great as Cinnamon Kashi H2H)
  • 1/2 cup Kashi Go Lean
  • 1/2 Flax Flakes
  • Plain Yogurt
  • Peanut Butter
  • Strawberries
  • Blueberries

It feels good to have my computer back. Two hours without it and I was already having withdraws. Can you say addict?

My name is Meghann and I am addicted to my computer.

Le sigh.

1 Jason Sadler January 18, 2011 at 10:21 am

My tech support bill is in the mail.

2 michelle January 18, 2011 at 10:21 am

I’m addicted to my computer too. And blogs. And e-mail. Sheesh!
michelle recently posted..The Weekend

3 Stacy @ Every Little Thing January 18, 2011 at 10:21 am

I want strawberries so bad! They were $5.99 at the grocery store the other day…and they were NOT organic! Ugh. Your bowl looks great!
Stacy @ Every Little Thing recently posted..Six Row and Grace Potter

4 Julie @SavvyEats January 18, 2011 at 10:21 am

The spinning wheel grey screen makes me SO nervous, even on a normal start up. It lead to a hard drive crash once, so now I’m always a little wary when I restart. Glad you have a backup handy–I learned from my mistakes on that one… ahem.
Julie @SavvyEats recently posted..Clementine Cutie Brownies

5 kristy @ kristyruns.com January 18, 2011 at 10:24 am

Those berries look incredible! Is it summer yet?!?!

Glad to have you back on the radar!
kristy @ kristyruns.com recently posted..Highland Bakery Breakfast

6 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat January 18, 2011 at 10:27 am

Oh my goodness, I am SO missing fresh berries right now! They’re out of season here and the ones I bought recently just didn’t taste right. Again, SO jealous you live in Florida!

I’m glad your Mac issues are sorted – I too am a computer addict!
Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat recently posted..Tasty Eats and Hot Beats

7 Jess (Daly Authenticity) January 18, 2011 at 10:36 am

I just saw those cinnamon burst Cheerios in the store. I almost bought them, and then refrained. Good to know your thoughts!
Jess (Daly Authenticity) recently posted..Amazing Pork Tenderloin

8 Ali @ Ali on the Run January 18, 2011 at 10:38 am

Glad everything worked out OK with the pretty little laptop. One of my greatest fears is losing everything due to a system update. It happened on my work computer last year and it was traumatizing.
Ali @ Ali on the Run recently posted..I’m Going Away More Often!

9 Hope January 18, 2011 at 10:38 am

I hate when problems like that happen with computers! It’s so frustrating. I’m glad it’s back up and running! I thought the Cinnamon Burst Cheerios looked good in the store. I think I’d still be intersted to see what they are like. The strawberries really make your cereal pop!
Hope recently posted..Bargain Finds &amp Buffalo Chicken Burgers…

10 Ashley January 18, 2011 at 10:39 am

berries sound so good right now. At least you didn’t experience redrawals and its fixed now 🙂 I hate the new itunes look.
Ashley recently posted..Back and Forth

11 Morgan @ Life After Bagels January 18, 2011 at 10:42 am

Oh I totally know that feeling . . . it’s half way between tears and throwing up
Morgan @ Life After Bagels recently posted..Heavy- Prize Or No Prize

12 Katie January 18, 2011 at 10:46 am

Those berries look fantastic! I can’t wait til they’re in season up here in New York.

And I’ve been feeling more than a little addicted to my computer lately.
Katie recently posted..Travels in the Boroughs

13 Ellie @ The Mommyist January 18, 2011 at 10:49 am

Just the thought of looking at that screen for two hours makes me feel a little sick. I’m glad it turned out OK in the end. It may have taken a long time because you had a ton of updates that needed to be installed. I’ve had the updated iTunes icon for several months now. Even so, 2 hours seems rather long.

14 Biz January 18, 2011 at 10:49 am

Luckily my husband is computer savvy, otherwise I’d be lost half the time – I don’t even know how to Twitter and I only go on Facebook like once a month – one day I’ll catch on to the social media!
Biz recently posted..Chobani’s Traveling Oven Mitt

15 Kiran January 18, 2011 at 10:50 am

Wow! I can understand the panic – not a great way to start your day. Thankfully everything is in order 🙂

16 Amanda January 18, 2011 at 10:58 am

I’m jealous of your berries, they’re still really expensive here so I’m stuck dreaming of the day when they come back in season
Amanda recently posted..Back Home Macomb

17 Val @ Balancing Val January 18, 2011 at 11:16 am

I am very much addicted to my iPad.

Its seriously so easy to carry around and get information or look at blogs in an instant.

The thing changed my life for the better and worse.

I love all the opportunites it gives me but I also feel like its so easy to shy away from real life and distract myself!

I gotta find a balance there 😉
Val @ Balancing Val recently posted..Fruit-Heavy Monday

18 jen @ taste life January 18, 2011 at 11:17 am

Yup, I’m addicted to mine, too. Better than being addicted to crystal meth, I’d say.
jen @ taste life recently posted..Vegan And Not So Much

19 Katie January 18, 2011 at 11:26 am

U love your macbook pro right?! I just ordered one and I am excited, I had a sony vaio and it stinks : p its going downhill, and I wish I didnt have so may problems with it : p

Have a great day! Glad your computer is up and running!
Katie recently posted..Break Fast

20 Meghann January 18, 2011 at 11:30 am

LOVE my macbook pro!!! Once you go mac, you’ll never go back 😉

21 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) January 18, 2011 at 11:29 am

I’m pretty addicted as well. Now that I have the internet on my phone, it’s even worse!
Kate (What Kate is Cooking) recently posted..Getting Organized- Part Deux

22 sarah (sarah learns) January 18, 2011 at 11:30 am

that reminds me that i STILL need to get an external hard drive. my computer is in need of some MAJOR backing up. i’m glad your mac is back in working order. 🙂
sarah (sarah learns) recently posted..wedding post- engagement photos

23 melissa January 18, 2011 at 11:30 am

This happens far too often on my fickle thinkpad. I went through the same thing this weekend until I reinstalled windows vista (worst operating system ever). Glad you are up and at it again.
melissa recently posted..A New Page!

24 Alaina @ The Jogging Concierge January 18, 2011 at 11:50 am

My husband will say that I am addicted to my computer. And he would be right.
Alaina @ The Jogging Concierge recently posted..Spaghetti with Asparagus- Smoked Mozzarella and Prosciutto

25 Kelly January 18, 2011 at 12:01 pm

I hate when the computer acts up! Makes me so nervous.
Kelly recently posted..Sunday Funday

26 megan @ blackberries for jam January 18, 2011 at 12:11 pm

Berries! I am SO ready for berry season. I may just have to move to Florida because in Vermont I have to wait until June. Boo.
megan @ blackberries for jam recently posted..Better Than New York Pizza

27 LauraJayne January 18, 2011 at 12:21 pm

I always feel like I have the worst luck with computers – but I think I am probably just more dramatic about it than everyone else! Not having access to a computer AND wifi almost leads to an anxiety attack – so I’m glad you’re back and up and running!
LauraJayne recently posted..Time for a Sugar Detox

28 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey January 18, 2011 at 12:45 pm

I am addicted to my computer too – well the internet really. Whenever it goes out at home, I freak out and it usually causes an argument. Whoops.
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..old lady soup

29 Ali January 18, 2011 at 12:49 pm

I love how bright your breakfast is! I need to go get some extra berries for my cereal. I love how it makes boring cereal so much more interesting!
Ali recently posted..45 Life Lessons

30 Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine January 18, 2011 at 12:58 pm

I think I would have been crying. I’m SO bad about backing up my computer- this is a really good reminder to do that!!
Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine recently posted..Five Things

31 Jess@atasteofconfidence January 18, 2011 at 1:11 pm

My computer has been bugging out lately, and it’ s making me nervous!
Jess@atasteofconfidence recently posted..Tag! You’re It

32 Christin@purplebirdblog January 18, 2011 at 1:41 pm

Computer issues are the pits!! It is frightening to me how dependent I am on this device!
Christin@purplebirdblog recently posted..Simple Breakfast- Crazy Day

33 Melissa @ Running with Needles January 18, 2011 at 1:49 pm

Oh my, that bowl of berries looks so delicious, I wanted to lick my computer screen. It’s much too long a wait for delicious, well-priced berries here in Illinois.
Melissa @ Running with Needles recently posted..Simple Stuffed Peppers

34 maryann January 18, 2011 at 2:01 pm

Forced restart is my bff 🙂 Breakfast looks great!

35 Julie (Food & Other Things) January 18, 2011 at 2:25 pm

I’m totally addicted to my computer too so I know how it feels when something goes wrong!

36 Kacy January 18, 2011 at 2:42 pm

Haha, I feel ya! I definitely freak out when I’m without my Mac.
Kacy recently posted..Surprise!

37 Samantha @ Health, Happiness & Skinny Jeans January 18, 2011 at 4:38 pm

I skipped ahead and tried level 2 of 6W26P last night and actually liked it a lot better. I think I might switch them up back and forth for the duration of the challenge.

38 Sana January 18, 2011 at 5:07 pm

Ahhh! I am having sooo many internet issues!!! And computer issues. I am going NUTS!

39 Josephine @ Creating a Positive Life January 18, 2011 at 6:20 pm

You just inspired me to back-up this week 🙂
I bought that JM DVD at Costco last weekend. I am so excited to try it, even if the check out lady made fun of me 🙁
Josephine @ Creating a Positive Life recently posted..Spanish Rice

40 Patrice January 18, 2011 at 7:37 pm

so glad you managed to get your computer back up. mine crashed not too long ago. I know how un-fun that can be. By the way, your breakfast looks totally delicious.
Patrice recently posted..Posting everyday for 2011

41 RunningOnCoffee January 18, 2011 at 9:42 pm

Internet AND phones were completely down at work today. It drove me nuts, I’m completely addicted to the computer.
RunningOnCoffee recently posted..Too many shoes

42 Jennie @ Designed To Be Fit January 19, 2011 at 10:15 am

Oh man, I remember getting the question mark envelope of death right before finals my junior year. I lost almost all of my work from my first 2 years in my design program. It was a sad, sad day. I now backup religiously.
Jennie @ Designed To Be Fit recently posted..I’m Alive

43 Amanda January 21, 2011 at 2:24 am

I preferred the classic iTunes icon too! New fangled icon…… grrrrr.