more ยป" />

Eggplant Fries

by Meghann on January 18, 2011

Here’s a meal I’ve made once before. They were delicious then and pretty amazing now.

Eggplant Fries! :)

If you’re a fan of Eggplant Parmesan, then I believe you will enjoy this deconstructed version of my favorite italian classic. Just a tad healthier and finger food friendly. ;)

Start with a whole eggplant that is then cut long ways in to ‘fry’ like shapes.

Whisk a single egg with a little milk in one bowl and combine a cup of flax seed and almond meal with a generous amount of oregano, salt, and pepper in another.

One dip in the egg

IMG_5095.JPG IMG_5096.JPG IMG_5099.JPG IMG_5100.JPG

Another in the flax mix

IMG_5103.JPG IMG_5105.JPG IMG_5106.JPG IMG_5107.JPG

Bake at 415 for 20 minutes

Enjoy!

I like to dip the fries in marinara sauce to get the full Eggplant Parmesan effect. ;)

On the side I randomly threw in a slice of cheese (that I wrapped around some of the eggplant fries – a fabulous idea) and a few olives.

Plus a leftover Cornbread Muffin from last night.

A few people were asking about the cornbread recipe, but I really just followed the recipe on the side of the Publix Cornmeal Bag. I left out the lemon zest and blueberries the recipe called for and added some frozen corn instead. Unfortunately I can’t find the recipe online. :(

I have a meeting downtown this afternoon as well as a well deserved return to Hot Yoga! It’s been a month since my last practice and I’m a little nervous my endurance has depleted itself.

Wish me luck!

1 Kristy @ KristyRuns January 18, 2011 at 1:46 pm

I’ve had roasted eggplant the past two nights, and I love it! I bet your fries are amazing! I wonder how it would work if I made it with a flax egg instead of an actual egg. Hmmmm…

Have fun at hot yoga!

2 Kiran January 18, 2011 at 1:46 pm

Mmmm.. I love eggplant and need to try this recipe soon :) Have a great day!

3 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) January 18, 2011 at 1:50 pm

Whoa, this looks so good! I need to buy more eggplant :)

4 Michelle January 18, 2011 at 1:50 pm

Great idea for the fries. I’m going to give it a try

5 Julie @ Wearing Mascara January 18, 2011 at 1:53 pm

Those look great!!!!

6 Alicia January 18, 2011 at 2:01 pm

yum- great idea!

7 Jessie Deschane January 18, 2011 at 2:04 pm

These look super good! I actually have never tried eggplant but I should because I find so many awesome recipes using them!

8 Hope January 18, 2011 at 2:05 pm

Oh my! This looks amazing! I am a huge fan of making eggplant parm so I know I would totally love this! I am going to have to make it as soon as I can! Yum! :)

9 Natalie @ Will Jog For Food January 18, 2011 at 2:11 pm

Yum! I love eggplant…that looks like a great way to make it :)

10 Matt @ The Kitchen of a Runner January 18, 2011 at 2:18 pm

Good luck!

11 Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine January 18, 2011 at 2:18 pm

My dad would be totally obsessed with these- he’s an eggplant freak. Thanks for the idea!!

12 Christin@purplebirdblog January 18, 2011 at 2:21 pm

Nice fries!! And blueberry cornbread actually sounds incredibly dreamy!! But I love adding frozen corn too :)

13 Katy (The Singing Runner) January 18, 2011 at 2:24 pm

Sounds delicious! I want to try these ASAP!

14 annie January 18, 2011 at 2:35 pm
15 Ashley January 18, 2011 at 2:35 pm

Good luck on the hot yoga! Those look really good, next time I’m out of school I’ll have to try those!

16 Lauren @ vegerunner January 18, 2011 at 2:37 pm

Those look yummy – I’m a big fan of eggplant parm so will have to try these! And those bright green olives are my favorite – I didn’t like olives until I tried them one day at an Italian Restaurant in NYC…

17 Ali January 18, 2011 at 2:41 pm

Those eggplant fries look delicious! I just had eggplant parmesan for the first time ever this past fall and it was so good! Good luck in yoga and your meeting! :)

18 sarah (sarah learns) January 18, 2011 at 2:42 pm

love the idea of eggplant fries! i’ve tried a lot of different veggies as “fries” but never eggplant. i like your creativity! :)

19 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday January 18, 2011 at 2:47 pm

My fave eggplant dishes are baba ghanoush or ratatouille.

20 Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) January 18, 2011 at 2:49 pm

enjoy hot yoga!

and the eggplant fries…i SUCK at making eggplant anything. i either overbake it and burn it or underbake it and it’s mushy or rubbery or god knows what i do. Your fry method has been noted and im going to try this w/ my next eggplant!

thanks for the recipe :)

21 Kara January 18, 2011 at 2:52 pm

You go to way more trouble for your lunch than I do for mine :)

I bet Maddie is loving having you home during the day! Is she driving you nuts? My dog drove me bonkers when I worked from home. She thought I was there to play!

22 Jessica@tastyandtrim January 18, 2011 at 2:57 pm

What a clever way to use eggplant!! Have fun at hot yoga :)

23 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat January 18, 2011 at 3:13 pm

Eggplant is a veggie I didn’t start eating till late last year but I love it!! Your fries look very tasty. Good luck at your meeting and have fun at yoga – I’m looooving the hot yoga lately given all this snow we’ve got!

24 Mindy January 18, 2011 at 3:19 pm

I would never have thought to make eggplant fries! They look awesome.

Thanks for sharing!

25 Marina January 18, 2011 at 3:39 pm

I love eggplant, i have to try making it like this!

26 Kacy January 18, 2011 at 3:46 pm

Those look great! I’m dying to try hot yoga but can’t find it offered around here.

27 Amanda @ JustAmandaJ January 18, 2011 at 3:46 pm

You make fries out of just about everything don’t you ;P I botched my last attempt at roasting eggplant, still not sure how, but I’ve stayed away since. The fries look doable and tasty though. Enjoy your hot yoga, I can’t wait to start going again!

28 Lisa (bakebikeblog) January 18, 2011 at 4:02 pm

I love that you used flax + almond meal as the coating!

29 Brittany January 18, 2011 at 4:12 pm

I loveee loveee loveee eggplant and will def be using this recipe soon!!

30 Maryann January 18, 2011 at 4:15 pm

Great recipe!! I have been loving eggplant lately and this would be a great way to switch it up. Hope yoga went well.

31 Michelle January 18, 2011 at 4:17 pm

Those look delicious! I might even get my picky-eating husband to eat them if I call them “fries!”

Does your eggplant ever get soggy? I lightly salt mine and let it sit in a colander for 20-30 minutes to rid some of the natural liquid. Then you can simply wipe away the excess salt and the eggplant turns out tender and not soggy in the middle.

32 Danielle @ IndeesKitchen January 18, 2011 at 4:21 pm

Yum!! Those looks amazingly good! I’m going to try them out this week.

33 Sammybunny January 18, 2011 at 4:25 pm

Ooooo those look yummy! I must tell you…I ADORE your blog. I find all the recipes/running articles/and general posts very entertaining and exciting! Keep up the great work!

34 Amanda @ Eating Up January 18, 2011 at 4:33 pm

I’ve toyed with doing a similar thing to eggplants…glad to hear it works!

35 Lauren @Hungry Dancer January 18, 2011 at 4:39 pm

Love new ideas for veggie fries!! I love eggplant so I will definitely give it a try! Thanks for the recipe!

36 Alaina @ The Jogging Concierge January 18, 2011 at 4:43 pm

I love how it seems like you can make anything into a fry form :-)

37 J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) January 18, 2011 at 4:46 pm

Love eggplant! This is such a good idea. I actually just made eggplant parm today, should have made this instead!! :)

38 Ann January 18, 2011 at 4:51 pm

Wow those look so good! I love eggplant and I keep glancing at the eggplant when I’m at the grocery store, but I never knew exactly how I would cook it and what I would eat it with, etc. I will most definitely be trying that one this week! And definitely with marinara for dipping.

39 Courtney @ The Granola Chronicles January 18, 2011 at 5:15 pm

Ooooh, enjoy Hot Yoga! Your body is going to thank you!!

40 Jenn L @ Peas and Crayons January 18, 2011 at 6:15 pm

Genius! pure genius! My stomach is rumbling now =)

41 Laura (Starloz) January 18, 2011 at 6:34 pm

i’ve never thought to make fries from eggplant, excellent idea.

with the cornbread recipe, can you pretty please share it with us, i cant buy the packet your talking about here

42 Jessica @ The Process of Healing January 18, 2011 at 7:32 pm

I looove eggplant parm.. I need to try that!

43 Ann @ Running With Chopstix January 18, 2011 at 7:38 pm

Those fries look so delicious! I can’t wait to try this recipe!

44 Patrice @ A New Sweetness January 18, 2011 at 7:42 pm

your meals always look so appetizing and healthy!

45 Allie January 18, 2011 at 8:01 pm

Eggplant parm is the bombbbb! The fries look awesome, especially with dippin’ sauce!

46 Lauren January 18, 2011 at 8:05 pm

Such a great idea! You just need some marinara to dip them in. Oh wait, I just went back and realized you were already all over that. Of course you were! ;)

47 Allison January 18, 2011 at 8:34 pm

I really need try different veggie fries! I tried some veggie chips last week (parsnip and beet!) and they were AWESOME.

48 BroccoliHut January 18, 2011 at 8:44 pm

LOVE this! I tried okra fries yesterday after seeing them here, so I’m psyched to try the eggplant fries too:)

49 Sana January 18, 2011 at 10:18 pm

I really want to make your nutbutter fries! I want to get on it!

50 Jenn January 18, 2011 at 10:44 pm

I tried a satueed garlic eggplant yesterday and it was a flop. YOURS however look delicious!

51 Jessica Lee January 18, 2011 at 11:53 pm

that’s such a good idea. i love playing on a classic dish. are the “fries” crispy on the outside?

52 Jennie @ Designed To Be Fit January 19, 2011 at 10:11 am

Yum! I used to do the same thing but cut it into circular slices. I never thought to make them into fries. Looks amazing!

53 Lacey @ Lake Life January 20, 2011 at 12:12 pm

I love that bowl that you have the breading in! I have a coffee cup that matches it :-)

54 Becauseitis October 22, 2011 at 9:45 pm

this is SOOOO good <3
my whole family loved it when i made it for them :)
especially dipping it in marinara sauce w/ nutritional yeast and/or daiya cheese!