MLK Day

by Meghann on January 17, 2011

Happy Monday everyone!

Also, Happy Martin Luther King Jr. Day!

It wasn’t until recently that I was reminded Martin Luther King is considered a ‘bank holiday’ and the majority of the country (including schools) are given the day off. The holiday was actually how Ashley and Bo were able to visit this weekend and why Disney was a little more crowded then you would traditionally find during a weekend in January.

Unfortunately neither of my last two employers acknowledged Martin Luther King Jr. Day as a holiday, so I’ve worked right through the third Monday in January for the last three years without even thinking about it. Luckily, my new employer believes it’s a very important holiday and considers complete observance a necessity.

Just kidding. Sort of.

This weekend threw my schedule off a little bit, so I did take this morning off to run a few errands and recuperate from my weekend with friends. I guess being your own boss does have some perks?

Do you have Martin Luther King Day off this morning? Do you find that it’s typical in your region of the country?

On another note, I ran 10 miles this morning with my lovely sister and MegaNerd.

Megan and Kelly have flexible schedules as well and were able to meet me for a solid run before the craziness of rush hour hit the Orlando area.

I’m running a half marathon in 2 weeks and even though I have no desire to PR, I would love to be trained just enough to prevent injury and to keep my endurance up.. you know – the important stuff.

Kelly cut out at 6 miles, but Megan and I ran a steady 10 miler and just missed an impending thunderstorm that exploded when we finished.

I had 1/2 a Luna bar before I left and some toast afterwards.

My kitchen is LOW on groceries and i’m out of fruit, so the toast with almond butter, pumpkin butter, granola, and raisins was the best I had to offer this morning.

It was delicious and enjoyed thoroughly. πŸ™‚

I’m on my way to take my friends to the airport and then it’s time to get some work done.

Have a great Monday everyone!!

1 Stacy @ Every Little Thing January 17, 2011 at 9:53 am

We do not get it off (I work for a medium sized non-profit in St. Louis), but it is highly observed around here, which I think is fairly typical in a urban area. I’m from Detroit, and it is highly observed there as well. All good things!
Stacy @ Every Little Thing recently posted..Six Row and Grace Potter

2 Evan Thomas January 17, 2011 at 9:54 am

There certainly are benefits to being your own boss πŸ™‚ I don’t remember getting MLK day off from school before, but then again I don’t have great memory so I wouldn’t bank on that.

3 Ali @ Ali on the Run January 17, 2011 at 9:54 am

10 miles to start the day, nice! I’ve been sitting on my couch trying to get the motivation to get out in the chilly NYC temperatures. Thanks for that extra bit of motivation πŸ™‚
Ali @ Ali on the Run recently posted..I’m Going Away More Often!

4 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday January 17, 2011 at 9:55 am

I ran a 10 miler last night! It was my longest run so far in my marathon training plan. I was really proud of myself for doing it πŸ˜€

5 Meghann January 17, 2011 at 12:14 pm

Congrats! That is an awesome accomplishment to be proud of πŸ™‚

6 Erika @ FoodFitnessFun January 17, 2011 at 9:55 am

I’m off today, although some other schools have school today due to last weeks snowstorm.
Erika @ FoodFitnessFun recently posted..Flapjack Frenzy

7 Jenna @Eating Green, Staying Lean January 17, 2011 at 9:55 am

This is my second “full time real” job out of college, not including a Senate campaign I recently worked on and is definitely the first MLK day I’ve officially had off. One reason to love working for the government, for sure πŸ™‚ Before that, however, I kept myself afloat through restaurant jobs in high school and college and most of us know they WANT you to work on holidays. So, needless to say, I’m enjoying the extra day off! Happy MLK Day!
Jenna @Eating Green, Staying Lean recently posted..How to plan your meals and afford your groceries!

8 Allie January 17, 2011 at 9:56 am

Happy MLK day! I’m off today πŸ™‚ Congrats on a nice run and being your own boss!
Allie recently posted..My life in 30 days- day 28

9 Kristen January 17, 2011 at 9:57 am

Not MLK holiday for me…in fact, our sales meeting started today! I’ve never had this day off as a holiday and feel President’s Day and MLK Day should either both be observed as a holiday, or neither one.

My experience has been that most small-mid size corporations do not observe either.

10 Elle January 17, 2011 at 9:57 am

We also do not get it off….and I live and work in Memphis, TN, home of the Lorrainne Motel.

11 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat January 17, 2011 at 10:03 am

Happy MLK day! Unfortunately it’s not a holiday for us here in Canada but I could certainly do with another day off to catch up after the weekend!
Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat recently posted..Tasty Eats and Hot Beats

12 Kiran January 17, 2011 at 10:04 am

Happy MLK! Glad you all were able to squeeze in some run. I got stuck on the treadmill, nonetheless, it was a good work out πŸ˜€

13 lisa January 17, 2011 at 10:06 am

Definitely not off today!! Full working Monday!! I too am out of groceries- Can’t wait to shop after work and stock the fridge :o)

14 Britney January 17, 2011 at 10:09 am

It’s not the region, but where you work. Where I work now is state funded, and we get all the state holidays off – so MLK Day is a day off! But where I worked previously (a large corporation) it was a working day. My dad has today off, my mom took today as a vacation day so she could stay home too.

I’m spending my morning reading. I love days off!
Britney recently posted..First half marathon!

15 Gabby (Quest for Delicious) January 17, 2011 at 10:14 am

I have been on a toast kick lately. I blame it on my newly acquired cinnamon raisin swirl peanut butter. (:
Gabby (Quest for Delicious) recently posted..The pioneer womans chicken tortilla soup

16 Hope January 17, 2011 at 10:16 am

I’m working today. My work has off next month for President’s Day. That toast looks good. Have fun on your first day of being self-employed πŸ™‚
Hope recently posted..Bargain Finds &amp Buffalo Chicken Burgers…

17 Brittaney @ the girl that cant cook January 17, 2011 at 10:17 am

10 miles sounds like a great way to start off the self employed-ness.

Unfortunately, I’m at work today, atleast the traffic wasn’t as bad…

18 kristy @ kristyruns.com January 17, 2011 at 10:21 am

1st day of self employment …nice! Enjoy the day while I’m working for the man…
kristy @ kristyruns.com recently posted..Highland Bakery Breakfast

19 Robyn @ Frugal 'n' Fit! January 17, 2011 at 10:25 am

Enjoy your day off! Not a bad way to start self-employment, eh? πŸ™‚

20 RunningOnCoffee January 17, 2011 at 10:32 am

I’m off today, but I work for a school. My husband is not off today, he’s a PhD student at a federally-funded lab affiliated with the university.
RunningOnCoffee recently posted..First pace run

21 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) January 17, 2011 at 10:39 am

I never work Mondays, which is just as well because I wouldn’t have had it off!
Kate (What Kate is Cooking) recently posted..Getting Organized- Part Deux

22 Katy (The Singing Runner) January 17, 2011 at 10:40 am

My university has off today, but last year we didn’t have today off.

Have a great day! πŸ˜€

23 amyt January 17, 2011 at 10:40 am

We get it – I work for the State……but I still have to work, because we are “open” every day – I will get it as comp time – we trade off Holidays…this one I just happened to have to work.

24 janey January 17, 2011 at 10:43 am

I work in DC so its pretty much the norm to have the day off! Took a long weekend vacation myself to Denver, so its my last day here!

25 Matt @ The Kitchen of a Runner January 17, 2011 at 10:44 am

We don’t have class today, but I am working a full day here at the gym. Easy money for me πŸ˜‰

26 Dani January 17, 2011 at 10:45 am

I have off today!!! WOHOO! I don’t know about you but 3 day weekends are precious to me πŸ™‚ It is strange because most of my friends(who are auditors) do not and my bf even has a interview today.

For your self employment how are you seperating your time? Are you only going to work on the weekdays? Are you only working from 9-5 or is it just going to be sepratic? How many hours a week do you want to work?

Sorry about all the questions I just think you re so brave for your next step forward!
Dani recently posted..Weekly Recap!

27 Meghann January 17, 2011 at 12:16 pm

Lots of questions! I doubt I’ll be 9-5, but my goal is to work as close to a normal schedule as possible to achieve a good life/work balance. More than likely I will be working on the weekends though. With the blog it’s hard to only work 5 days a week anyways, so I’m used to it.

28 Elizabeth@The Sweet Life January 17, 2011 at 10:52 am

Curious to hear about your first day at your new job!

29 Kara January 17, 2011 at 10:59 am

I wish I was my own boss, my little bald boss can be so demanding. It’s always “wah, give me a bottle, mommy wake up, it’s already 6am!” πŸ™‚
Kara recently posted..10 miles conquered!

30 Ali January 17, 2011 at 11:06 am

What a great start to your Monday! I would love to have the time to run 10 miles. Unfortunately, grad school does not recognize MLK day and I have been in the library since 8am! Boo–but it does give me some time to catch up on blogs during the mini breaks I allow myself to take. πŸ™‚
Ali recently posted..Living Room Boot Camp

31 Ashley January 17, 2011 at 11:12 am

My University gets the day off πŸ™‚ , but I’m working so it seems counteractive πŸ™
Ashley recently posted..Back and Forth

32 Sarah for Real January 17, 2011 at 11:14 am

I think generally private industry doesn’t observe MLK day. That means me. Though I can see the MLK parade from my window at work! I’ll be taking a mini-break at 10 to watch.

33 Kelly January 17, 2011 at 11:16 am

I don’t have off today, boooo. But I do have Feb 21 off!
Kelly recently posted..Sunday Funday

34 Heather January 17, 2011 at 11:22 am

Did that breakfast fill you up after running 10 miles? Just curious.

35 Meghann January 17, 2011 at 12:17 pm

Yes it did. Toast with nut butter and extras is aways very filling to me – more so than a bowl of oatmeal or a smoothies.

36 Mindy @ just a one girl revolution. January 17, 2011 at 11:28 am

I work for a college – our students have the day off, but we don’t! Boo!
Mindy @ just a one girl revolution. recently posted..be in the moment

37 Tricia January 17, 2011 at 11:35 am

Now that I’m in the public school system, I have off. I used to work for a private therapy center for preschoolers with autism, and we never had any days off except the week between Christmas and New Years. Today would be an in-service training day. We did get a lot of PTO to use at our discretion, though.

38 Amanda @ JustAmandaJ January 17, 2011 at 11:58 am

I worked at a public college last MLK day and we totally had the day off. We all pretty much counted down for that holiday since it was right after add/drop week, we needed the break!
Amanda @ JustAmandaJ recently posted..Food Funk

39 Gill (snaxandthecity) January 17, 2011 at 12:01 pm

It must be so exciting to be your own boss! Have fun and don’t work too hard πŸ™‚
Gill (snaxandthecity) recently posted..Wholegrain Spelt Bread

40 Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather January 17, 2011 at 12:32 pm

I don’t get the day off πŸ™ but i’m excited for everyone that does! An extra is always nice.

41 Christin@purplebirdblog January 17, 2011 at 12:33 pm

Being that I’m a medical transcriptionist and people don’t stop getting sick on the holidays, I’m working! πŸ™‚ Happy MLK day to you!!
Christin@purplebirdblog recently posted..Breakfast for Lunch and a Busted Dryer

42 Caitlin (EatFeats) January 17, 2011 at 12:34 pm

The middle school I taught at celebrated Martin Luther King Jr. by going to school. Days off are nice, but I think their logic made sense.
Caitlin (EatFeats) recently posted..670 degrees

43 Maryann January 17, 2011 at 12:41 pm

I’m off today as well. Your new employer sounds awesome πŸ™‚

44 Josephine @ Creating a Positive Life January 17, 2011 at 12:52 pm

Yes I have today off (I work for a school district)! I can’t remember ever not having this day off but I know many people that are working and some districts that are in session.
Josephine @ Creating a Positive Life recently posted..Spanish Rice

45 Katie O January 17, 2011 at 1:52 pm

I am sooooo jealous! I am at work today after all my friends and boyfriend who had peer pressured me not to go and stay out with them last night.

I was unemployed for 9 months and although it was long and depressing I miss the open schedule and having tons of time to work out and work on what I want to work on instead of being assigned things.

Enjoy it.
Katie O recently posted..RIP Saxbys

46 Trish January 17, 2011 at 1:59 pm

My office usually does not take the day off – but this year, for whatever reason , we’re closed. I’ll take it. I think it should be a holiday for everyone.

47 pinkflipflops January 17, 2011 at 3:31 pm

I work for the public schools and have never gotten it off. The only time I got it off was in college. Around here, the only places closed are government offices.
pinkflipflops recently posted..Homemade Tomato Soup

48 Stephanie January 17, 2011 at 3:56 pm

I keep hearing this but it doesn’t seem to be observed other than government offices and schools. I don’t know anyone else (not in those fields) that has today off. It’s always been a mystery to me. Surely, some people have to have off to fuel the rumor of the majority of the country having off. Weird.
Stephanie recently posted..Broccoli Cheddar Soup

49 Ashley January 17, 2011 at 4:05 pm

Thank you again for the airport ride! We are so thankful and I’m now back in NYC, sitting on your “bed” blogging. πŸ™‚ Miss you already but see you in 3 short weeks..
Ashley recently posted..A Breakfast Surprise!

50 Biz January 17, 2011 at 4:14 pm

Even though the courts are closed, my law firm is still open, and Hannah starts her second semester of college today! πŸ˜€

Your boss is nice to let you take the morning off! πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€
Biz recently posted..Chobani’s Traveling Oven Mitt

51 Kacy January 17, 2011 at 4:48 pm

Yay for being self-employed! I’d take all holidays too, haha.
Kacy recently posted..Surprise!

52 Lacey @ Lake Life January 17, 2011 at 6:09 pm

Not only did I have to work today but the electric was out and we were running on generator, thus leaving us unable to even use our computers. It was a loooong day.
Lacey @ Lake Life recently posted..Blogspiration

53 sarah (sarah learns) January 17, 2011 at 6:38 pm

i’m a graduate student, so we get mlk jr day off, kind of. since i’m a grad student, we don’t really get any days fully off! i spent my “day off” driving from st. louis to wisconsin in freezing rain + snow and now i’m working on a paper. hope you had a productive day!
sarah (sarah learns) recently posted..little french bakery

54 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey January 17, 2011 at 9:21 pm

Your new employer sure is nice to give you the day off! πŸ™‚
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..bananas

55 Mari January 17, 2011 at 11:15 pm

Great job on the 10 miler – I just ran the RnR Arizona Half yesterday and hiked Camelback mountain (Cholla trail) today! Gotta return to cold Chicago temps tomorrow but this warm weather sure makes me jealous of those who get it year round. I love being outdoors! Now I need to update my blog…
Mari recently posted..Hot Chocolate 15K – Last Race for 2010!

56 Chelsea January 18, 2011 at 11:59 am

I work at a bank and didn’t get MLK day off. So much for it being a ‘bank holiday’ ! haha