Beans!

by Meghann on January 17, 2011

And so concludes my first day of self employment.

Do I feel any different? No.

Did I get all the work done I wanted to do? Nope.

Am I ready to do it all again tomorrow? Absolutely. πŸ™‚

A couple of things today I learned today

1. I need a desk
  2. I need a larger monitor
  3. Maddie can tell a delivery truck is coming a mile away

Oh, and S’mores Goldfish are amazing.

I discovered these at Publix today. The chocolate, honey graham, and marshmallow were the perfect mix for a sweet afternoon treat.

Especially when you throw in some salty pretzels

and a couple of strawberries (that looked too good not to break right into) πŸ˜‰

Dinner was started early this evening and began with a bag of 15 Bean Soup Mix.

I love 15 Bean Soup! But I only love it the way I cook it (which is probably the completely wrong way).

What I do is start with some onion and ham.

Cover with vegetable stock and water

Add the seasoning

Then boil the heck out of it for about 3 hours.

Yes, that’s almost 3 straight hours of boiling. I like the beans to explode and get as mushy as possible. The trick is to keep adding water every hour as the water before is absorbed into the beans. Keep in mind, this is the way I like it, but mushy beans aren’t for everyone. πŸ™‚

While the beans were boiling, I made a quick batch of Corn Muffins using the recipe on the side of the bag.

The beans were delish. Just a tad salty, but I could live with that. πŸ™‚

The muffin was amazing with a little butter. Too bad Maddie stole my last bite.

Bad Maddie.

For dessert I dug into my leftover Carrot Cake from Friday’s Cheesecake Factory lunch.

That’s half of the cake left overs I brought home – there’s still another third waiting for me in the fridge. πŸ™‚

Who watched the Golden Globes last night? Any dress favorites?

I had a few πŸ™‚

Screen shot 2011-01-17 at 9.37.13 PM.pngScreen shot 2011-01-17 at 9.36.48 PM.pngScreen shot 2011-01-17 at 9.36.24 PM.png

And a few not-so-much

Screen shot 2011-01-17 at 9.35.13 PM.pngScreen shot 2011-01-17 at 9.34.29 PM.pngScreen shot 2011-01-17 at 9.34.55 PM.png

I was really digging all the jewel tones – especially the emerald green everywhere!

Also, loved all the winners. I told you Natalie Portman was going to win big this award season. And her acceptance speech? Adorable! Her rambling reminded me of something I would spit off if I ever won a Golden Globe. πŸ™‚

1 Natalia@ The Health Script January 17, 2011 at 10:05 pm

I’m glad you like self employment! πŸ™‚
I know Natalie Portman’s dress wasn’t too fantastic but I still love her to death! She is always so poised and gorgeous!
Natalia@ The Health Script recently posted..Exciting Running News!

2 Jenn L @ Peas and Crayons January 17, 2011 at 10:05 pm

cheesecake factory has carrot cake? *drool!*

The beans look fantabulous – – one of my fav foods ever!
Jenn L @ Peas and Crayons recently posted..Modern Meets Vintage – Master Bath Makeover

3 Ellie January 17, 2011 at 10:09 pm

Those beans look great- Southern with the corn bread! I am kind of amazed you liked michelle william’s dress. I LOVED Dianna Agron’s it was my favorite
Ellie recently posted..The Globes

4 Whitney January 17, 2011 at 10:10 pm

Smores goldfish? Genius! I’m going to have to hunt those down! I love Natalie Portman AND her performance in the Black Swan, but I hated her dress choice. I loved Catherine Zeta Jones’ dress…it was stunning!
Whitney recently posted..Eight is Great!

5 Courtney @ the granola chronicles January 17, 2011 at 10:11 pm

I love bean soup – the saltiness from the ham is perfection! Congrats on getting through your first day of self employment!!
Courtney @ the granola chronicles recently posted..Work in Progress

6 Heather January 17, 2011 at 10:11 pm

Pretzel goldfish is one of my favorite flavors. I need to keep my eyes peeled for the smores!

I also did not care for Anne Hathaway’s dress – even though it got rave reviews.

Enjoy the rest of your evening!
Heather recently posted..Tackle the to Do List

7 Courtney @ Sweet Tooth, Sweet Life January 17, 2011 at 10:12 pm

I just hit up Cheesecake Factory today. Looooove that place πŸ™‚
And aren’t those goldfish seriously amazing? I like the s’mores, but my favorite are actually the vanilla graham ones. They’re Trouble, with a capital T!
Courtney @ Sweet Tooth, Sweet Life recently posted..A Fabulously Fun Day!

8 kristy @ kristyruns.com January 17, 2011 at 10:12 pm

I didn’t realize how much I liked emerald green until I saw those dresses. Gorgeous! Congratulations on completing your first day of self employment! πŸ™‚
kristy @ kristyruns.com recently posted..Highland Bakery Breakfast

9 Allie (Live Laugh Eat) January 17, 2011 at 10:13 pm

A perk about working at home…you can snack away and make meals that take forever!
Allie (Live Laugh Eat) recently posted..Alpo’s Dog House

10 Megan January 17, 2011 at 10:13 pm

OK!!! I must try those Goldfish!

11 Gabby (Quest for Delicious) January 17, 2011 at 10:13 pm

Oh gosh, all those goldfish grahams are so. addicting. I love the vanilla ones.

12 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) January 17, 2011 at 10:13 pm

I loved Natalie Portman’s dress! It was my favorite πŸ™‚
Kate (What Kate is Cooking) recently posted..Getting Organized- Part Deux

13 Meredith January 17, 2011 at 10:17 pm

now I’m craving cornbread!
Meredith recently posted..Happy Thanksgiving!

14 Alaina @ The Jogging Concierge January 17, 2011 at 10:17 pm

That soup looks amazing. Is there anything that onion and ham can’t do? πŸ™‚
Alaina @ The Jogging Concierge recently posted..Spaghetti with Asparagus- Smoked Mozzarella and Prosciutto

15 Lily @ Lily's Health Pad January 17, 2011 at 10:24 pm

I didn’t watch the golden globes, but I’m kinda digging Anne Hathaway’s dress in that pic. Happy first day of self-employment!

16 Katy (The Singing Runner) January 17, 2011 at 10:26 pm

Yay for self-employment! πŸ˜€

S’mores Goldfish!?!?!?! Sounds great!

17 Sana January 17, 2011 at 10:26 pm

I love that you are still eating leftovers! I am just so amazed! In case you can’t tell I have food issues with eating leftovers! LOLLL
Sana recently posted..A Day In DC

18 Amanda @ Eating Up January 17, 2011 at 10:30 pm

I loved Natalie’s speech too, and I also disliked her dress. She was Valentine’s Day, embodied.
Amanda @ Eating Up recently posted..My Crave List- Cookbooks

19 Kiran January 17, 2011 at 10:48 pm

You should try cooking dried beans with a pressure cooker. It’s easier, fast and healthy since you can avoid the amount of stock that already has sodium in it πŸ™‚

20 Bridget January 17, 2011 at 10:55 pm

I actually LOVED Anne Hathaway’s dress. Looked awesome on her I thought. But I agree on the other two downers — those dresses did not do Michelle Williams or Natalie Portman justice.

21 Me-Linh January 17, 2011 at 11:06 pm

I wish Natalie Portman ripped off the ugly rose in the middle of her dress. I bet it would’ve looked MUCH better!!
I was kinda happy she was rambling on in her acceptance speech. I kinda always imagined her as a serious Harvard girl. Glad she has a goofy side!
Me-Linh recently posted..Still Kicking

22 Meghann January 18, 2011 at 8:35 pm

I agree! I thought it made her seem real and natural. πŸ™‚

23 Toronto Girl West January 17, 2011 at 11:12 pm

Congratulations on your first day of being self-employed! That’s a huge accomplishment! πŸ™‚

And on a related note . . . now that you’re doing social media for a living will you still let us know what companies are clients (particularly when you feature their products on the blog)?
Toronto Girl West recently posted..A Brutally Honest Review- SELF–Sculpt Sexy Legs Fast! DVD

24 Meghann January 18, 2011 at 8:37 pm

I will always be transparent when I’m working with companies, but most of the stuff I plan to do will not be blog related, so you shouldn’t see any random products popping up on here. If it’s a partnership (like with Attune) I will be more than happy to announce it πŸ™‚

25 Toronto Girl West January 18, 2011 at 9:30 pm

Awesome!! πŸ™‚

Thanks for taking the time to reply!
Toronto Girl West recently posted..Will we Ever Meet Again

26 Meg January 17, 2011 at 11:15 pm

You should try to make Red Beans and Rice!
Meg recently posted..Pressure

27 April January 17, 2011 at 11:29 pm

I love those S’mores goldfish but good idea to add the pretzel ones! That must be an amazing combo.

I loved Eva Longoria and Mandy Moore’s dresses. They were simple but perfect. There were some funky ones this year! My friend and I were saying that even with stylists it was crazy that people were either old lady or “promiscuous” looking!

28 Nicole January 18, 2011 at 12:04 am

You’ve come such a long way, girl! Self-employed, that’s insanely beautiful. Have a fantastic start to the rest of your life, and enjoy every little s’more goldfish your heart desires πŸ™‚ have a happy week!
Nicole recently posted..A First Time- Cabbage Freshly Ground Wheat Bread

29 Meghann January 18, 2011 at 8:37 pm

Thank you Nicole!

30 Jenn January 18, 2011 at 12:15 am

mmm LOVE goldfish and LOVE ur dinner! I need to make that stat.

31 Christin@purplebirdblog January 18, 2011 at 12:29 am

I need to find these smores goldfish right away!!!
Christin@purplebirdblog recently posted..Simple Breakfast- Crazy Day

32 Jessica Lee January 18, 2011 at 12:56 am

Great bean soup, I dont think I’ve ever made any kind of bean soup, just veggies with beans.

And ya, those goldfish are MONEY!!!
Jessica Lee recently posted..The β€œdo-over” that almost didn’t happen…

33 Marina January 18, 2011 at 1:04 am

I cook beans the similar way, thanks for reminding me to make some stew soon! It’s finally getting colder here, so I think warming meals are a must. I’m glad you enjoyed your first day at work πŸ˜€
Marina recently posted..learning what the weekend is for

34 Emma (Sweet Tooth Runner) January 18, 2011 at 2:30 am

Great that your liking self-employment so far! And how could you NOT with those yummy snacks! πŸ˜›

I’m in love with Natalie Portman. She is my girl crush, and I’m not ashamed of it! πŸ˜‰
Emma (Sweet Tooth Runner) recently posted..Straight in- Straight out

35 movesnmunchies January 18, 2011 at 2:37 am

i love bean soup!!— they make s’mores goldfish!!! oh my gosh.. wow!
movesnmunchies recently posted..Not Just Another Resolutions Post

36 Jenn@healthyhoofbeats January 18, 2011 at 5:53 am

I really want to try those goldfish! I havenΓ¨t seen the pretzel or the smore’s ones!!
I didn’t see the Globes but I’ve been looking at pictures, I loved Carrie Underwood’s and Lea Michele’s dresses! πŸ™‚

37 Matt @ The Kitchen of a Runner January 18, 2011 at 6:24 am

I think the best part about self employment would be to sleep in πŸ˜‰

38 Meghann January 18, 2011 at 8:38 pm

But if I slept in too much I wouldn’t get any work done. πŸ˜‰

39 Kara January 18, 2011 at 6:31 am

Natalie Portman has my sympathy, I can’t imagine the maternity red carpet worthy gown selection was too good!

I can’t say that mushy beans sound tasty, but at least that’s better than crunchy beans, which seems to happen to me every time I try to make bean soup with dried beans πŸ™‚
Kara recently posted..First word!

40 Lauren January 18, 2011 at 6:54 am

I’ve never seen the smore goldfish. Gosh, what will they come out with next.

Glad your first day went well! πŸ™‚
Lauren recently posted..I Have a Dream

41 Jen January 18, 2011 at 7:00 am

Glad your first day of self-employment went well πŸ™‚
I picked up some strawberries over the weekend, opened them yesterday and my kids gobbled them up before I could even taste one…but at least they looked pretty.
LOVE 15 bean soup, it’s a favorite around here!!

Jen
Jen recently posted..Weigh In Day- January 14- 2011

42 Jessica @ dalyauthenticity.blogspot.com January 18, 2011 at 7:19 am

I must admit, I am so jealous of your self-employment πŸ™‚ Although one day, I hope to be “self-employed” by being a stay at home mommy!

I am going to pick up some of those goldfish at the store today!
Jessica @ dalyauthenticity.blogspot.com recently posted..Amazing Pork Tenderloin

43 Miranda January 18, 2011 at 7:55 am

those corn muffins look amazing!! can you post a recipe?

44 Gracie January 18, 2011 at 8:34 am

Bean soup with cornbread sounds SO good right about now….and looks even better!! Would you be able to share the recipe? Or maybe I’ll just be on the lookout for a 15-bean soup mix?
Gracie recently posted..for smiles

45 Meghann January 18, 2011 at 8:39 pm

The Bean soup is easy. I just buy the mix and follow the directions on the back of the bag. Only I like to boil the hell out of them and add ham and onions to it πŸ™‚

46 Amanda January 18, 2011 at 8:40 am

Aww, I bet Maddie loves having a “stay-at-home-working Mom”!! πŸ™‚
Amanda recently posted..Live- from Boston!

47 Meghann January 18, 2011 at 8:40 pm

I think she’s getting used to it πŸ™‚

48 Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine January 18, 2011 at 8:53 am

Hahaha I just had to post a comment because I noticed your hand positioning on the can. I can’t believe I’ve never noticed that before!!
Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine recently posted..Five Things

49 Meghann January 18, 2011 at 8:40 pm

haha – now you know my dirty little secret!

50 Brittney January 18, 2011 at 9:01 am

I think Carrie Underwood’s was my favorite too. I actually hated Anne Hathaway’s dress too- I didn’t like those shoulder pads. Yikes!!
Brittney recently posted..Ladies Who Lunch

51 Bess @ Bess Be Fit January 18, 2011 at 9:07 am

I loved Angelina Jolie’s dress, she could make a brown bag look fantastic…and Sofia Vergara is so gorgeous and I loved her dress, too. Catherine Zeta Jones’s dress reminded me of Scarlett from Gone With the Wind….
Bess @ Bess Be Fit recently posted..B-day hayyy

52 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey January 18, 2011 at 9:08 am

I love bean soup – and I’m jealous ofyour self employment.
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..old lady soup

53 Christina January 18, 2011 at 9:09 am

That soup looks good.. Would you happen to know how much protein is in the beans/serving before you add everything else?

54 Meghann January 18, 2011 at 8:41 pm

hmmm… I’m not really sure.

55 Katherine: Unemployed January 18, 2011 at 9:21 am

I totally missed to globes!
Katherine: Unemployed recently posted..Sandman

56 Hope January 18, 2011 at 9:48 am

Smores goldfish are the best! I love them! When they first came out, all of the stores around here couldn’t keep them on the shelves! It was crazy!

I watched the Golden Globes and my favorite dresses were Carrie Underwood’s, Eva Longria, and Guliana Rancic from E!’s dresses. They were all beautiful. I totally agree with you on Natalie Portman’s dress and Anne Hathaway’s dress. What was Anne thinking??
Hope recently posted..Bargain Finds &amp Buffalo Chicken Burgers…

57 Jaclyn January 18, 2011 at 9:57 am

My mom makes a bean soup like that and its my favorite soup! YUM!
I LOVED all the green on the red carpet this year! I’m not a fan of Angelina but I loved her sparkly green dress and my favorite was Eva Longoria, she looked amazing!
Jaclyn recently posted..1st Post!

58 Elizabeth@The Sweet Life January 18, 2011 at 10:02 am

I’ll be curious to hear if you find yourself snacking a lot more now that you’ll be at home–I always find that a challenge.

59 Kacy January 18, 2011 at 11:46 am

I’m not a huge mushy bean fan, but to eat their own πŸ™‚
I thought there were so many good fashion choices at the Globes. January Jones was in my top faves. Loved it.

60 Beth @ DiningAndDishing January 18, 2011 at 11:54 am

Sadly I don’t know her name, but I think the actress from Modern Family looked absolutely gorgeous!! She really dressed for her body and looks just beautiful.

61 Megan January 18, 2011 at 1:06 pm

I’d love to know what mix you used for your cornbread cause it looks delicious!
Megan recently posted..Pillsbury fail!

62 Meghann January 18, 2011 at 8:42 pm

I just used the generic Publix brand

63 Ali January 18, 2011 at 2:40 pm

I’ve never heard of Goldfish S’mores! I love regular goldfish though, yumm!
Ali recently posted..45 Life Lessons

64 Jena January 18, 2011 at 6:07 pm

Those corn muffins look great! We also eat those 15 bean soups. The cajun one is great! We also put sausage in it. I boil it for about 2.5 hours.

I hope to some day work from home..one day
Jena recently posted..Me-1 Treadmill- 0

65 Jessi @ Quirky Cookery January 18, 2011 at 6:29 pm

I love my beans really squishy, too. There are plenty of recipes where I like them to hold shape, but as a bean soup? The more cooked, the better.

66 Lacey @ Lake Life January 18, 2011 at 9:00 pm

Olivia Wilde’s (from House) dress was my favorite, shoes too!
Lacey @ Lake Life recently posted..MLK day black-out

67 janey January 18, 2011 at 9:58 pm

Who knew they had these magical smore goldfish, and that bean soup sounds delish to me! Must try to find it here in DC!

68 erin January 19, 2011 at 10:23 am

I was not crazy about the flower on Natalie Portman’s dress..but she looks totally adorable pregnant..and I can’t wait to see black swan.
erin recently posted..TGIF

69 Claire January 21, 2011 at 3:38 pm

Regarding the dresses, my favorite is the emerald green stunner πŸ™‚ It’s one of my favorite colors and I’m so glad it’s becoming “trendy” again. Regarding self employment, I’m so happy for you! I can’t wait for the day I will be able to work from home/do what I love. In time πŸ™‚
Claire recently posted..Eat Skinny Be Skinny Vegetarian- Tomato Stuffed Mushrooms