And the fun continued…

by Meghann on January 16, 2011

This weekend has been incredible!

And I have this lovely couple to thank for it.

Ashley and Bo randomly called Derek and I on Wednesday asking if we had any plans for the upcoming weekend. They were coming to Disney and they were taking us with them – no questions asked. Of course we dropped every plan we had, so we could spend every minute with them, and didn’t regretted it for a second.

Ashely and Bo are an amazing couple and so much fun to hang out with. We’re honored to call them close friends and can’t wait until we have the chance to hang out with them again. :)

We wore ourselves out yesterday visiting Magic Kingdom, Hollywood Studios, and Epcot. Today we made plans to fit everything in we had missed out on yesterday; including Animal Kingdom and a few other choice rides.

First things first – a good breakfast was in order.

A bowl of cereal was the perfect light morning meal before a full day at the parks.

• 2/3 cup Jumbo Rice Krispies
  • 2/3 cup Kashi Go Lean Crunch
  • 1 Orange
  • Vanilla Yogurt
  • Chia Seeds

Confession: Animal Kingdom is my least favorite Disney World park. It only has one really good ride and is missing that Disney Magic the other parks possess.

The one good ride? Expedition Everest.

Hands down this ride is worth the trip to the park alone. If you’ve never rode it I suggest you brave the wait for at least one ride. It’s probably the best roller coaster Disney offers.

IMG_4763.jpg IMG_4767.JPG

We spent the morning in Animal Kingdom, then headed to Hollywood Studios right around lunch time.

Hollywood Studios has my least favorite food choices among any of the Disney Parks, but I made do with a big salad and apple on the side.

Contrary to what you may have heard, Disney actually has some pretty good food choices. You just have to hunt for the what you want. Most service windows and sit down restaurants offer vegetarian and vegan options and if they don’t it’s pretty easy to re-work a dish to accommodate.

The fiesta salad I had for lunch could have easily been vegetarian if I asked for it minus the chili and vegan without the cheese.

The Fresh fruit around the parks also make for a great refreshing treat on the side.

IMG_4803.JPG IMG_4804.JPG

IMG_4825.JPG IMG_4826.JPG

IMG_4835.JPG IMG_4836.JPG IMG_4837.JPG IMG_4840.JPG

We were walking past the Toy Story ride when Ashley grabbed my arm and went “Oh my gosh – that was Whoopi Goldberg”

She pulled me backwards and sure enough – it was her! We both tried to play cool and took our cameras out to take a photo. However, just as I was pulling mine out, Whoopi being escorted to a secret entrance to the Toy Story ride.

Lucky her! That was was set at 120+ minutes! ;)

I think that’s the first time I’ve seen anyone famous in Disney, though, I’ve had friends who worked at Universal have a few famous people walk through their lines before. There’s nothing like checking he safety harness to someone you’ve seen on tv too many times to count.

After our brush with fame we decided an early dinner was in order. A new pizza place had recently opened in the Italy portion of the World Showcase that I had been meaning to test it out for a while now.

Via Napoli is a well-lit Italian style pizzeria that serves big, beautiful pizzas from a wood burning pizza stove.

Our table started with a trio of appetizers

Eggplant Caponata

Salami e Provolone

Mozzarella Caprese

I had a taste of each and all of the appetizers were fresh and delicious. I particularly enjoyed the slightly sweet caponata.

It was extremely hard to choose a pizza – each one sounded better than the last!

We ended up choosing the Quattro Stagioni (eggplant, artichokes onions, prosciutto, mushrooms) and were pleasantly surprised when each topping has it’s own section of the pizza. We were expecting all the piles piled on top of each other, but it was nice to have it seperated and allow each topping really stand out on it’s own.

IMG_4898.JPG IMG_4900.JPG IMG_4902.JPG

The pizza’s crust was thin, but still doughy. The sauce was light, but still evident and the cheese was beautiful clumps of fresh mozzarella instead of the shredded fake stuff. In short the pizza was amazing and something I would 100% recommend to any visiting DIsney park lover.

We hit the parks for a little bit longer and wrapped up the weekend with my favorite Disney sweet treat.

IMG_4905.JPG IMG_4907.JPG IMG_4908.jpg

Ice Cream Cookie Sandwich. Oh yes – this is for real.

Shared with Derek of course. ;)

IMG_4916.JPG IMG_4917.JPG IMG_4918.JPG IMG_4919.JPG IMG_4921.JPG IMG_4922.JPG

Delicious. :)

Even though I’ve been Orlando this whole time – I feel like this weekend has been some sort of a vacation. For the past 48 hours I’ve basically walked away from my e-mail, my phone, and various responsibilities. Tomorrow I return to the real world and promise to get right to work figuring out this whole self-employment thing.

I have some fun adventures in store – I can’t wait to start sharing them!

Good Night!!!

1 Jenn L @ Peas and Crayons January 16, 2011 at 11:02 pm

ohmygosh that pizza looks to die for!!!! Looks like you guys had a blast! =) Gotta love impromptu trips to Disney! my sister works there. LOVE LOVE LOVE acting like a kid again! =)

xoxox
jenn

2 melissa January 16, 2011 at 11:02 pm

Excited to hear more! Looks like a great weekend! A great way to celebrate the first few days of your new career!

3 mindy @ just a one girl revolution. January 16, 2011 at 11:03 pm

Celeb sightings are always so fun!!! When I was out in LA a few years ago, I saw MC Hammer shooting a music video, and Sharon and Kelly Osborne shopping in Beverly Hills. Nothing like B (C??) list celebrities, but better than nothing!

4 Mimi January 16, 2011 at 11:03 pm

At first, this sounded list a post of least favorites (park and food place), but it sounds like it was a fun time!

5 Stacy @ Every Little Thing January 16, 2011 at 11:04 pm

Glad you had a good time! I went to Animal Kingdom once when I was younger and enjoyed it but haven’t heard great things since then. I think I’d still like to check it out though!

What a great celebration weekend :)

6 Beth @ Will Run for Books January 16, 2011 at 11:04 pm

TOTAL LIFE ENVY!!!!

Let’s switch for a few days. My fiancé’s name is Derek, too, so that will minimize confusion.

7 Allison @ Happy Tales January 16, 2011 at 11:07 pm

Wow, what a fun weekend you had! All this Disney Park talk really makes me want to hop on a plane and visit Orlando :)

8 Sana January 16, 2011 at 11:15 pm

I am sooo good you got to hangout with an awesome bloggy couple!

9 Ellie January 16, 2011 at 11:18 pm

Yumm looks like you guys ate some good food with good company. Nothing better than that! I’ve never been to Animal Kingdom, but I remember it was always featured on the ABC Disney Sunday night movie and I always wanted to go

10 Katy (The Singing Runner) January 16, 2011 at 11:19 pm

I only like Animal Kingdom for Everest too… it’s the only thing I do at that park.

What a fun weekend and a great way to celebrate your upcoming business ventures! :D

11 Erika @ FoodFitnessFun January 16, 2011 at 11:19 pm

Glad you had (another) great day! :-)

12 Laura @ Backstage Pass January 16, 2011 at 11:19 pm

Can’t wait to hear more about your adventures! My fingers are crossed that you have been cast for that reality show? ;-)

13 Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) January 16, 2011 at 11:26 pm

“For the past 48 hours I’ve basically walked away from my e-mail, my phone, and various responsibilities. “-

GOOD FOR YOU! for unplugging and detaching and just enjoying yourself.

And a Whoopi spotting, how fun!

14 Maryann January 16, 2011 at 11:28 pm

That ice cream sandwich….looks amazing!

15 April January 16, 2011 at 11:31 pm

I’m soooo proud of you :). You’re inspiring…. someday I’ll get the courage to do what is right for my life and I’ll think about your very inspiring life and blog. Sometimes keeps me going through my days! Loves! xoxo

16 Kiran January 16, 2011 at 11:33 pm

I want to visit all those parks! I know, living in Orlando all these while and no park visits??? Silly me :D

17 Ash Bear January 16, 2011 at 11:36 pm

Your words literally just brought Bo and I to tears :) This weekend was just what we all needed!

18 Bess @ Bess Be Fit January 16, 2011 at 11:46 pm

I was at disney back in september…had so much fun! the food pics make me hungry!!! glad you’ve had such a fun weekend :)

19 Ashley January 16, 2011 at 11:55 pm

I haven’t been at Disney World since I was 4 but I’m gong this summer and can’t wait! Your pictures look amazing. Glad you had an awesome day.

20 Kristina @ life as kristina January 16, 2011 at 11:57 pm

I love via napoli!!! I totally agree with you about animal kingdom-everest is the only thing worth it! Looks like so much fun with good friends:) glad you had a nice time!

21 Caitlin January 17, 2011 at 12:23 am

I just geeked out a little bit, because I was at Via Napoli last weekend! The pizza really is amazing! Though we spent the majority of our time there talking to our waiter about Italy vs. Orlando.

22 Marina January 17, 2011 at 1:16 am

I’m glad you enjoyed your weekend so much!
Napoli pizza sounds awesome, I hope that I’ll travel to Napoli soon so I could try the real thing :D

23 Gabby (Quest for Delicious) January 17, 2011 at 1:19 am

Yum I love caprese! All of that food looks awesome but that ice cream sandwich looks so killer.

24 Christin@purplebirdblog January 17, 2011 at 1:30 am

Sooooo cool that you got to see Whoopi!! ;)

25 Emma (Sweet Tooth Runner) January 17, 2011 at 3:06 am

I am SO jealous!! Looks like so much fun!! Love th ice cream cookie sandwich!! :D

26 Gill (snaxandthecity) January 17, 2011 at 3:55 am

That looks like the best day! I’ve never been to a theme park except EuroDisney, which I’ve heard is pretty different! Glad you had fun.

27 Kara January 17, 2011 at 5:58 am

That ice cream sandwich looks so good!

28 Matt @ The Kitchen of a Runner January 17, 2011 at 6:25 am

Sounds like a great weekend! Can’t wait to read about your next stage!

29 Allie January 17, 2011 at 6:43 am

You saw Whoopi ! Woah, that is crazy awesome haha :) Looks like you had a really enjoyable weekend with Ashley, Bo, and Derek! Dinner looked awesome as well :D

30 Caitlin January 17, 2011 at 7:07 am

I totally agree about Animal Kingdom…it’s just not the same. It looks like an amazing weekend!! :)

31 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat January 17, 2011 at 8:17 am

What a fun day!! That is so cool that you saw Whoopi Goldberg too. I haven’t been to Orlando since I was little, but even as a 22 year old I really REALLY want to go on the Toy Story Ride!

32 Meghann January 17, 2011 at 12:11 pm

I really want to go on the Toy Story ride too but the line is always outrageous! One day I will go early and get a fast pass so I can sneak on and let you know how it is! :)

33 Hope January 17, 2011 at 8:26 am

I love the Disney World posts! It is by far my favorite place on earth! I want to go back so badly. You are so lucky that you live so close and what a great place to celebrate! :) Love that new Italian place! It looks great! I must add it on my list of places to try in Disney. That is so cool that you saw Whoopi! Toy Story Mania is one of the best rides at Disney!

34 Meghann January 17, 2011 at 12:12 pm

I still haven’t been on it! I need to ASAP though! ;)

35 Jenna @Eating Green, Staying Lean January 17, 2011 at 8:28 am

You make the food look better than I expect for theme parks…especially that pizza :) Glad you’re having fun!!

36 Katie January 17, 2011 at 8:42 am

You and Derek are the sweetest couple ever and your friends make such an aamzing couple too!

Love seeing pics from disney, brings back memories of times I took my son!

The pizza looks good, I love thin crust, crispy, and yum pizza!

Glad you had a wonderful weekend of celebrating! xoxo

37 Tessa January 17, 2011 at 9:04 am

Looks like so much fun!

38 Beth @ DiningAndDishing January 17, 2011 at 9:05 am

Looks like the perfect way to celebrate your new venture into self employment!! Best of luck with the start of this new journey Meghann – I really look forward to following along! :)

39 Allison @ PickyEatingRD January 17, 2011 at 9:44 am

Animal Kingdom is my least favorite as well. We went there when they were still semi-building it and it was terrible! Glad to see they have added someting to help make it a little better. Pizza looks amazing!!!!

40 Kelly January 17, 2011 at 9:48 am

The only famous person I ever saw in real life was Rachel Zoe and I flipped out haha. It’s so crazy. Jealous of your weekend at Disney.

41 Allie January 17, 2011 at 10:26 am

Jumbo Rice Krispies! Where did you find those?! They took them off the shelves here in Texas months ago…they are my favorite!

42 Meghann January 17, 2011 at 12:13 pm

I bought a couple of boxes months ago when they were on the reducd food rack. They were probably marked down because they weren’t going to be making them anymore…

43 Haleigh January 17, 2011 at 10:31 am

Disney is always such a blast! That is so cool that you got to see Whoopi Goldberg!! I saw Keri Russell in NYC once, but that’s the only celeb I’ve seen out and about.

44 Jodie January 17, 2011 at 10:42 am

Your weekend looked like a lot of fun. I have been behind with blog reading, it is wonderful being your own boss. Not sure if you mentioned what you were doing but what ever it is you will be awesome at it. You will do great on the half. Have a wonderful week.

45 Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine January 17, 2011 at 10:49 am

Too funny- I saw Whoopi in NYC in early December!! She seems to hang out where the cool bloggers go :)

I love that you know all the food options and rides in Disney by heart. I guess that’s what happens when you grow up there- it must have been so cool to go to Disney all the time as a kid!

46 Ali January 17, 2011 at 11:54 am

What an awesome weekend!! :D And so cool that you saw Whoopi! One time I saw Kelly Clarkson in a mall–I walked past her and was so shocked I didn’t even try to take a picture or anything. It was so cool though.

47 Kacy January 17, 2011 at 4:13 pm

That pizza looks so amazing! I am dying to go to Disney soon!

48 Lacey @ Lake Life January 17, 2011 at 5:37 pm

I know that’s a lot to pack in one post, but proof-reading would probably do you some good.

49 Lorin January 17, 2011 at 8:02 pm

I saw Gary Coleman at Disneyland in Los Angeles once, he was surrounded by security.

50 Claire January 21, 2011 at 3:41 pm

I could eat pizza every day for the rest of my life and be one happy girl!