The Last Day

by Meghann on January 14, 2011

This is it. It’s my last day in this office – with this job – at this point in my life.

Scary? Yes

Exciting? You have NO idea ;)

I promise to write a few posts in the coming week regarding my employment journey – and even give a little insight on the knowledge I’ve gained in recruiting someone to fill my shoes – but for now I’m just going to soak it all in.  ekkk.

Even with all that excitement, I didn’t want to get out of bed this morning.

My bed was warm and really the only thing I had planned was to complete my third day of the second week of the Six Week Six Pack. I wanted to skip it, but the thing with pressing snooze on my alarm is the same button doesn’t work on Maddie.

Want to know how I’m able to get out of bed most mornings? Maddie. It helps having a dog who knows what alarm clocks mean and refuse to let you sleep in when she’s dying to potty outside.

With Maddie’s help I got out of bed, did the DVD, and took the longest, warmest shower of my life. It was amazing.

IMG_4414

I repeated my Hot Apple Breakfast from earlier this week. It was too good not to repeat.

IMG_4410

Hot apples with cinnamon, peanut butter, chocolate chips, ricotta cheese, fig jam, and Kashi Go Lean Crisp – delicious!

IMG_4413

Here goes nothing!!!! :)

IMAG0444

1 Katy (The Singing Runner) January 14, 2011 at 9:03 am

Have a great last day! :D

2 Kristy @ KristyRuns January 14, 2011 at 9:04 am

LOVE the shirt for the last day! :) Good luck and take it all in! Bittersweet I’m sure… [but mostly sweet?]

3 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey January 14, 2011 at 9:06 am

Love that you’re wearing your Meals and Miles shirt! Super cute! Good luck on your last day!

4 megan @ blackberries for jam January 14, 2011 at 9:07 am

Leaving a desk job is so liberating! Best of luck in your new adventures!

5 Elizabeth January 14, 2011 at 9:07 am

This is so exciting! I love being able to read and follow along on your journey.

And by the way, I feel you pain with a canine alarm clock. I normally set 2 alarms on my cell phone, about 10 minutes apart (really the same as snoozing). However, as soon as that first sound starts from the phone, this is what I get “bark! bark! bark bark!” and 2 50 pound dogs jumping on the bed if I’m not fast enough. It’s such a refreshing way to start the day, right? :)

6 Jason Sadler January 14, 2011 at 9:07 am

CLOSE THAT BOOK! Book being the old job… It’s a metaphor. I think.

ps – that breakfast looks amazing

7 Amanda @ Eating Up January 14, 2011 at 9:09 am

Make some memories!

8 Kennedy January 14, 2011 at 9:12 am

I just left my office job last Friday! It was bittersweet, a bit scary… but also SUPER exciting! Good luck, and let your coworkers spoil you today ;)

9 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat January 14, 2011 at 9:13 am

I looooove hot showers in the morning during the winter. Have a great last day Meghann!

10 Jessie January 14, 2011 at 9:13 am

I have you have an awesome last day at your current job and get this new chapter of your life started out with a bang!

11 Ann January 14, 2011 at 9:13 am

Aww it sounds bittersweet! It’s also so exciting to be moving on to the next part of your life. Hope your last day is a great one!

12 Heather @ Side of Sneakers January 14, 2011 at 9:14 am

Happy last day!!!! Can’t wait to hear all the wonderful things you accomplish from here on out ;)

13 Brittney January 14, 2011 at 9:14 am

Good luck to you Meghann!!

14 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday January 14, 2011 at 9:17 am

Dressing down on the last day. I like it.

Funnily enough it’s Matt’s last day of work too. I told him to dress down, but instead he got more dressed up than usual!

15 Meghann January 14, 2011 at 9:19 am

Actually this office is really casual. This is what I typically wear to work :)

16 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday January 14, 2011 at 9:22 am

Nice!

17 Jamie @ Food in Real Life January 14, 2011 at 9:18 am

I love that you put chocolate chips in your breakfast :)

Have a great last day!! (And cherish that moment when you actually walk out of the building for the last time. Look at your feet and take it in.)

18 Amber January 14, 2011 at 9:18 am

Have a great last day! Great choice of clothing for the last day! =)

19 Jordan January 14, 2011 at 9:19 am

Woohoo so excited for you!!!

20 Mindy @ just a one girl revolution. January 14, 2011 at 9:19 am

So exciting! I can’t wait to see what this next stage in your life has in store for you!!

21 maria @ Chasing the Now January 14, 2011 at 9:20 am

Congrats Meghann. Can’t wait to hear more about the upcoming events in your life!

22 emily January 14, 2011 at 9:20 am

congrats on quitting your job and starting a new chapter!
best wishes for everything ahead, meghann!

23 Brittaney @ thegirlthatcantcook January 14, 2011 at 9:24 am

Have a great last day! I’ve always wondered how you find motivation to do most of your runs in the morning. My dog sleeps through the alarm. Most of the time she stay in bed for a while after I get up.

24 Margo January 14, 2011 at 9:27 am

Enjoy your last day, and congrats on the new path!!

25 Stacy @ Every Little Thing January 14, 2011 at 9:31 am

I’m so excited for you and to hear about your journey! Congrats girl!

26 Beth @ Will Run for Books January 14, 2011 at 9:33 am

Ha! I have a dog too, but I get up, stumble downstairs, open the door to let her out, then we both go back to bed. I guess it helps that I have a house/yard. If I had to get dress/put a leash on her/get out of an apartment building/walk her I would probably be up for good.

Good luck today! I can’t wait to hear about all of your adventures!

27 Alicia January 14, 2011 at 9:33 am

congratulations!! have a great, stress free last day!!

28 Marina January 14, 2011 at 9:40 am

Enjoy your last day!
Can’t wait for your new adventures!

29 Robyn @ Frugal 'n' Fit! January 14, 2011 at 9:42 am

Big day! I used to be an avid reader, but recently gave birth and fell off the food blog bandwagon (babies take precedent over blogging. Weird, eh? lol). I am so happy to see that life has treated you so well. All the best in this new journey!

30 sweeter salt January 14, 2011 at 9:43 am

Good luck / Congrats!

My dog is the opposite, he is soooo lazy in the morning! He’s got a ton of energy most of the time, but he loves to sleep in. Spoiled boy.

Laura

31 Sarah (Sarah Learns) January 14, 2011 at 9:43 am

have a great last day!! and my dog does the same thing. he is RELENTLESS when he knows it’s time to get up!

32 stacey January 14, 2011 at 9:49 am

Congrats on your last day and this new journey that you are starting! Last Friday was my last day at work. I quit to make a career change and I started back to school full-time this week. I had a brief moment of panic last Friday evening, but it was short lived and I am so happy that I stepped out of my comfort zone to pursue something that I am passionate about. It sounds like you have an exciting road ahead of you. I can’t wait to read more about it!

33 Natalie @ Will Jog for Food January 14, 2011 at 9:54 am

Have an awesome last day! You have so many great things ahead of you :)

34 Elizabeth@The Sweet Life January 14, 2011 at 9:54 am

I love that pic of you! Good luck on your last day!

35 Gabby (Quest for Delicious) January 14, 2011 at 9:57 am

Long hot showers are the best! Have an amazing day!

36 Ali January 14, 2011 at 10:04 am

Good luck on your last day!! How exciting for you :)

37 Theresa @ActiveEggplant January 14, 2011 at 10:08 am

Congratulations on embarking on the new adventure!

I totally know how strange it can be to walk away from a perfectly good job for a whole new life – I did that 6+ years ago when I moved from PA to FL to be with my hubby (then fiance). It was terrifying (moving/new job/etc) and extremely exciting (starting a new life with my man!) at the same time! Definitely the best move I’ve ever made! Have fun!

38 Kelly January 14, 2011 at 10:09 am

Have a great last day!

39 Lacey @ Lake Life January 14, 2011 at 10:10 am

What a bittersweet day. I hope you’ve made the right decision!

40 Matt @ The Kitchen of a Runner January 14, 2011 at 10:12 am

Have a great last day! Can’t wait to read about what happens next ;)

41 MaryBe@AccidentallyVegan January 14, 2011 at 10:24 am

Today is the last mile in this walk of your life. Enjoy every second!

42 Gill (snaxandthecity) January 14, 2011 at 10:32 am

Good luck! That’s so exciting. Congrats!

43 Hope January 14, 2011 at 10:35 am

Happy last day! Enjoy and Congrats on everything! :)

44 Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather January 14, 2011 at 10:37 am

Hope you have a great last day!

I have my cat that turns into my alarm clock… It works really well, except he keeps waking me up earlier and earlier. A 3am wake up call is no fun.

45 Jena January 14, 2011 at 10:40 am

Happy Last Day! I changed jobs about 6 months ago and it was really bitter sweet. I cried, but I was SO glad to get out of there and move on with my life! We also moved to the West Coast of FL from Cent Florida!

I have sort of made Friday my casual day. I work in a Dr. office and I usually wear khakis instead of really dressing up. The Dr hasn’t mentioned it yet so I think I’m good.

Have a great last day!

46 Cynthia January 14, 2011 at 10:41 am

Good luck! I know this is an exciting part of your life. I can’t wait to hear about all the wonderful things that are going to happen for you.

I have a dog and she is definitely my alarm clock as well. Even when I would prefer to stay in bed for a while, it’s hard to do that knowing she has to go to the bathroom and eat. :)

47 Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) January 14, 2011 at 10:46 am

enjoy your last day!!!!

and cant wait for the employment journey post…i love hearing ppl’s stories like that!

go out and celebrate tonite! :)

48 Kara January 14, 2011 at 10:51 am

Hot showers are so good, but it’s so hard to turn that water off and face the cold! Brrrr

Last days are always bittersweet, at least you can always come back and visit when you think you miss the cubicle lifestyle :)

49 Ashley January 14, 2011 at 10:53 am

Good luck on your last day!! Love the breakfast :d

50 Jessica @ Jessica Balances January 14, 2011 at 10:54 am

Congrats on your last day, and the beginning of your new journey! :) can’t wait to read all about it!

51 Christin@purplebirdblog January 14, 2011 at 11:06 am

My dogs are the same way, except sometimes I can get away with pulling the cover up and saying “five more minutes!” and the little one will cuddle back up with me and give me a little more time!

52 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) January 14, 2011 at 11:25 am

Good luck! I can’t wait to hear what the future holds for you.

53 Grace January 14, 2011 at 11:27 am

Love your shirt!!

54 Maggie @ Fit.Fun.Food January 14, 2011 at 11:45 am

Hot apples.. that looks great! What’s your recipe?

55 Amanda @ JustAmandaJ January 14, 2011 at 11:47 am

You look super cute in that pic! Hope you’re last day is great!

I don’t need an alarm with my dog, she’s become accustomed to waking up at a certain time and her padding around my bedroom is enough to wake me and make me unable to go back to sleep :)

56 Allison @ PickyEatingRD January 14, 2011 at 11:53 am

Congrats again!!! Good luck!!!!

57 melissa January 14, 2011 at 12:33 pm

I’ve changed jobs 3 times since college, and the decision has always been the right one. You’ll be a super awesome rockstar media maven goddess–i just know it.

58 laura January 14, 2011 at 12:34 pm

Looks great! Hope ya had a good last day :D

59 Maryann January 14, 2011 at 12:48 pm

Love your last pic :) Have an AWESOME last day!

60 Ellie @ The Mommyist January 14, 2011 at 1:24 pm

I have a 2 1/2 year old who is my alarm clock. Every morning at 6am she comes in and lets us know it’s time for breakfast. What would we do with our snuggly little alarms?

Congrats on your last day at work!

61 Allie January 14, 2011 at 1:36 pm

You go girl! So happy for you to be doing what YOU want to do and what is right for you :)

62 Sophie January 14, 2011 at 1:45 pm

First time commenter here! Sooo excited to see whats coming up next in your career!

63 Tori @ FIToriBLOG.com January 14, 2011 at 2:33 pm

YOU GO!!!!! LOVE THE PIC AND THE SHIRT!!! YOU ROCK!!!!

64 Jen January 14, 2011 at 2:54 pm

Have a great last day!!!! Love the shirt :)

Jen

65 erica January 14, 2011 at 3:26 pm

congrats! i dream of the day i can leave my desk job to do what i love!

my dog is just like that. he normally is content laying around but as soon as the alarm goes off, he’s up running to the bed ready to play.

66 Amanda January 14, 2011 at 3:34 pm

Maddie’s bladder alarm may be your true alarm clock…my true alarm clock is my own bladder alarm! Enjoy your last day.

67 Kacy January 14, 2011 at 4:33 pm

I’m just so happy and excited for you! So fun! Hope it was a great last day, and no on to bigger things!

68 Alaina January 14, 2011 at 4:50 pm

Good luck with everything!!

I just discovered your blog; I look forward to reading!! :-)

69 Kim @ Kim Lives Healthy January 14, 2011 at 5:21 pm

EEEEEK! What a big day! I’m excited to read about what it’s like not in the 9-5, since that’s one of the things that drew me to your blog initially (a traditional office worker with a healthy story), and now I’m hooked and psyched to see you blossom :) Good luck!

70 E January 14, 2011 at 6:20 pm

This is amazing! Absolute best of luck in your new (AMAZING!!!!) job. I dream of this day happening for me… (quitting the desk job that is, and being my own boss!).

71 Briana January 14, 2011 at 6:29 pm

I’m sure you’ve heard it before but leaving your job to do something that you’re PASSIONATE about is liberating. I recently did that… and today my little sister (who quit her job 5 months ago) left for her dream job in the Peace Corps in Panama for 2 years. My point is…. follow your dreams. You won’t regret taking a chance!

72 Jenna @Eating Green, Staying Lean January 14, 2011 at 7:08 pm

LOVE the t-shirt! Too cute.

And I’m definitely going to have to find myself some of that fig jam…what’s the brand?? Yum.

Oh, and also yay for your last day!!