more ยป" />

Saying Goodbye

by Meghann on January 14, 2011

Let the celebrating begin.

I’m officially Self Employed! AHHHH!!!!!!

Never in a million years did I dream this day would come. Or if it did I assumed it would be 10 to 20 years down the road. Not now. Not at 25.

But, here I am.

Meghann Anderson, blogger and entrepreneur. I like the ring to that.

I’ve jumped in, now it’s time to see if I’ll sink or swim. I’m already paddling like a mad woman, so hopefully I’ll swim! :)

The last day was oddly a busy one. My time was spent cleaning up my desk, deleting personal files from my computer and doing last minute odds and ends for my boss.

My boss did take me for one final lunch before I turned in my badge.

When she asked where I wanted to eat, I found it only fitting to suggest we dine at the very same place we ate at my very first day thirty months prior – The Cheesecake Factory.

I’m slightly superstitious and believe it’s good luck when things in life come full circle (like dining at the same restaurant I said hello at when I’m saying good bye). Hopefully, since that ‘hello’ led to such a great chapter in my life, that this ‘good-bye’ will be equally as successful. :)

Besides, it’s hard to think of anything better than The Cheesecake Factory for a celebratory lunch.

There’s the yummy bread.

Awesome hummus.

And ‘small’ salads that are the size of your head.

This was the Everything Salad minus the salami. Truthfully I should have done minus the shrimp too – the flavors didn’t exactly meld together.

There’s also dessert.

(Carrot Cake – my fave)

And plenty of leftovers to enjoy for a lifetime over.

IMG_4429.jpg

After lunch I came back to the office to back up my desk and say good bye to the best boss a recent college grad could ever ask for.

I’m going to miss you Shelley!!!

One final photo

Here today

Gone tomorrow

I’m not sure it’s really sunk in yet that I won’t be returning. Maybe it will Monday morning when my alarm isn’t going off at 5:30am?

Derek and I celebrated with champagne.

IMG_4515.JPG IMG_4523.jpg

IMG_4527.jpg

And I made killer homemade turkey meatballs for dinner.

The meatballs were simple – ground turkey mixed with various seasonings and garlic then baked with pasta sauce at 420 for 30 minutes – but my secret ingredient was the fennel seed inside.

The fennel gave the turkey a lovely sausage flavor that worked really well with the red sauce.

I had a plate of meatballs with ricotta cheese, roasted broccoli, and the leftover Cheesecake Factory bread from earlier.

I’ve been eating out A LOT lately – a home cooked meal was exactly what this girl needed. :)

Too much excitement for one day. This girl also needs some sleep. I promise the celebrating will continue tomorrow.

Good night :)

1 alison January 14, 2011 at 9:40 pm

Best of luck on your new venture!

2 Katie @ Healthy Heddleston January 14, 2011 at 9:40 pm

Aww good for you Meghann — congratulations!! Those meatballs looks awesome by the way and I love Penzey’s spices!

3 Nicole @ Geek Turned Athlete January 14, 2011 at 9:40 pm

Congrats!! I’m so excited for this next chapter in your life to begin! ;)

4 Evan Thomas January 14, 2011 at 9:40 pm

This is so exciting! Do you have a website for your new media company yet?
I really didn’t get to know the people in my office very much when I worked there, so leaving was never hard. My dad just asked “do you remember X” 10 minutes ago and all I could think was “Who?”. X was my boss for 2 Summers. Whoops.

5 Brittany (Eating Bird Food) January 14, 2011 at 9:40 pm

Congrats Meghann. I definitely think things will sink in when you don’t have to wake up at 5:30AM on Monday. :)

I can’t wait to hear all about this chapter of you life!!

6 Kayla January 14, 2011 at 9:40 pm

Congrats on making such a big step! I’m sure it is going to work out perfectly for you! And I can’t wait to read all about it!!

7 Michele @ Healthy Cultivations January 14, 2011 at 9:42 pm

What an incredibly exciting time for you!! Congratulations, and I wish you all the best. It’s well-deserved. Your hard work is apparent.

8 Julie @ Wearing Mascara January 14, 2011 at 9:43 pm

I am so proud of you! (I sound like a mom). Congrats on your fabulous end and good luck on your beginning. You will do wonderful things!

P.S. Your cubicle oddly resembles mine. Same “wall” colors and there is even a hallway in the same place as mine! Ha! :-)

9 Rachel January 14, 2011 at 9:45 pm

Congratulations!

10 Matt @ The Kitchen of a Runner January 14, 2011 at 9:47 pm

Best of luck Meghann!

11 Katherine January 14, 2011 at 9:47 pm

Congratulations! That’s very exciting! I wish you the best! It must have been sad to see your cubicle so empty. Enjoy your weekend!

12 Angie January 14, 2011 at 9:48 pm

Omg sooo exciting!! :) Congratulations!! What a feeling that must be!

13 mindy @ just a one girl revolution. January 14, 2011 at 9:49 pm

So excited you! What a huge step! You’ll swim, I have no doubt! :)

14 Jill January 14, 2011 at 9:50 pm

If those are red jammies in the first pic you r well on your way to self employment! :)

15 Becca@ Start Over From Scratch January 14, 2011 at 9:51 pm

Roomie! Congrats on the huge life change!!! We have come so far from the freshman we once were!!! I’m so proud of you! Check out the little blurb that came out today of me in the JWU newsletter!http://www.jwu.edu/services.aspx?id=13446#fbid=yEcX3yqQN87
If I hadn’t started reading your blog a few years ago I don’t think I would have ended up in culinary school!!!Good luck in your future endeavors!!!

16 Christin@purplebirdblog January 14, 2011 at 9:52 pm

So very exciting!! Best of luck on your new adventures through this crazyawesome life!

17 Katie January 14, 2011 at 9:54 pm

Congrats girl! You should be so proud of yourself! I see only great things ahead for you! Yay! Champagne is sooooooooo good, I feel like I should have it more, only time I do is for celebrations! WHich is a must! Have a gnite! xoxo

18 Amanda @ JustAmandaJ January 14, 2011 at 9:56 pm

Woohoo! Cheesecake factory is so yummy, they really give you SO much food though its ridiculous. My Husband and I went there for our anniversary in December and the burrito literally fed me that night and both of us the next day!

Your hair looks so freakin awesome in these pics too btw! So exciting that you’re self-employed now, good luck, you’ll be awesome!

19 MaryBe@AccidentallyVegan January 14, 2011 at 10:03 pm

Your (ex) boss looks so young and pretty! Looking forward to seeing where this next chapter of your life takes you

20 Kristy @ KristyRuns January 14, 2011 at 10:04 pm

Congrats!!! Best wishes on your new journey! I can’t wait to see what life brings you. :)

21 Allison @ Happy Tales January 14, 2011 at 10:07 pm

Whew what a monumental day for you!!! Sooo exciting!

22 Jessica Lee January 14, 2011 at 10:09 pm

That’s amazing for you!! Congrats and good luck with everything. Holler for chugging some champagne :)

23 Maddie (the person) January 14, 2011 at 10:25 pm

Good luck! So exciting! You know all of us will continue to follow your trek into self-employed-dom…lol.

24 Shanna, like Banana January 14, 2011 at 10:31 pm

You will do fantastic girl! Way to go on making your dreams come true at such a young age =)

25 Doug January 14, 2011 at 10:39 pm

Best of luck, Meghann. I was at that crossroads over the summer where I had to chase my dream or be stuck in a radio studio for the rest of my life. Five months later I am loving every minute of it. You did it five years earlier than I did! :)

26 Sarah January 14, 2011 at 10:39 pm

Congrats on this new step! This looks like me a few months ago when I had to pack up my desk at work and say goodbye to all my wonderful co-workers because I was moving for college. It definitely sinks in on Monday :)

27 Michelle January 14, 2011 at 10:39 pm

I’m a lot jealous that you won’t have a 5:30am wake up on Monday. Best wishes to you with your future endeavors!

28 RunningOnCoffee January 14, 2011 at 10:57 pm

I haven’t eaten at the cheesecake factory in about 3 and a half years. I need to again! Congrats again and good luck with your new adventures! It was bittersweet when I left my last job (my graduate assistantship) but I had been there for 3 years! And became very close with my coworkers. But I had just finished my EdS, we were moving to a new apartment, and I had my first “real” job lined up, so I had lots to look forward to and to distract me from the fact that I’d be leaving some great coworkers and friends.

29 Katy (The Singing Runner) January 14, 2011 at 11:07 pm

Congratulations! I am so proud of you and you are an inspiration to us all! :D

30 Amanda @ Eating Up January 14, 2011 at 11:19 pm

What a great day! And it’s all documented for posterity ;-)

31 Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) January 14, 2011 at 11:25 pm

congrats on being done!!!!!!

“Meghann Anderson, blogger and entrepreneur. I like the ring to that.”—

so do i, that is so awesome!

and drinking outta the bottle, lovvve that pic!

32 Kim January 14, 2011 at 11:38 pm

Congratulations!!! :)
Best of luck for everything the future holds!! Looking forward to following it all :)

33 Maria @ Oh Healthy Day January 14, 2011 at 11:45 pm

Congrats!

Ooh, turkey meatballs in the slow cooker is definitely on my menu in the near future.

34 Melissa @ For the Love of Health January 14, 2011 at 11:51 pm

I wish you nothing but the best! Your actions are very brave! :-)
That carrot cake looks deadly! Also, amazing looking turkey meatballs.
I look forward to watching your success unfold!

35 Sana January 14, 2011 at 11:56 pm

I eat a spoon full of fennel seeds after every meal! And CONGRATSSSS!

36 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) January 15, 2011 at 12:05 am

That is so exciting! You’re so young and already on a great path :)

37 Jillian January 15, 2011 at 12:51 am

I’m so happy for you! Congrats and good luck on a new (VERY EXCITING) chapter of your life!

38 Maryann January 15, 2011 at 2:16 am

Congrats! Excited to read about your new adventures.

39 Mary January 15, 2011 at 2:46 am

Congratulations! I look forward to reading about the next chapter in your adventure!

40 Gill (snaxandthecity) January 15, 2011 at 4:49 am

Congrats, I’m so excited for you! I’m sure you’ll swim :)

41 Kara January 15, 2011 at 5:39 am

You have Penzey spices! Those are the best! I love, love the Taco seasoning from there. It makes everything better :)

Last days are hard, but new beginnings are fun! Are you going to put up your name sign over your desk at home? ;)

42 Ashley January 15, 2011 at 8:11 am

Congratulations! I’m sure you’ll end up swimming once your body gets adjusted to the water :) It will be a crazy ride at first but hopefully you’ll love ever minute!

43 Heather @ Side of Sneakers January 15, 2011 at 8:24 am

Welcome to the crazy world of self-employment ;)

44 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey January 15, 2011 at 8:51 am

I totally believe in the full circle thing too – closure is always nice!

Good luck Meghann! You’re going to be great!

45 Maggie January 15, 2011 at 9:23 am

Congratulations, girl! That’s pretty ballsy to become a blogger full-time! What did you do before?

46 Lee January 15, 2011 at 9:43 am

The last day is always just a bittersweet feeling, isn’t it? Congrats! Enjoy your champagne.

47 julie January 15, 2011 at 9:57 am

congrats on the big life change, i wish you all the success in the world!

48 Lacey @ Lake Life January 15, 2011 at 10:11 am

So exciting! Good call on the champagne :-)

49 Sammybunny January 15, 2011 at 10:34 am

Congratulations! That is such an exciting new page that you are turning in your life. Good luck with your endeavors!

50 Faith @ lovelyascharged January 15, 2011 at 5:35 pm

Wow, what a bittersweet moment. I definitely love when things come full circle too…it sort of helps with closure but also with remembering all the excitement I had for the possibility when it first came and then channeling that excitement into the next big chapter! Best of luck!!

51 Biz January 15, 2011 at 6:02 pm

I have no doubts that you’ll fly in your new adventure! :D

52 Stephanie @cookinfanatic January 15, 2011 at 8:25 pm

Leftover bread from Cheesecake Factory makes amazing homemade croutons too! Congrats on your new adventure, so exciting :)

53 natalie @ http://healthybalancingact.blogspot.com/ January 15, 2011 at 10:23 pm

congrats! what an amazing step, you will suceed, i know it :) im really excited for you

54 Halley (Blunder Construcion) January 16, 2011 at 8:36 am

This is a great milestone, how exciting?! It must be very bittersweet. Thanks for sharing this with us, it serves as inspiration to so many :) Good luck!!!

55 Kath January 16, 2011 at 10:12 am

CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!

PS. Your dinner lights up my life :)

56 Jenny Alfonso January 17, 2011 at 9:00 am

Hi Meghann!
I’m so sorry I wasn’t in on Friday to say bye and wish you the very best. The picture of your empty cubicle is so sad. :+( I’m definitely going to miss you and all that you did for eSS. It’s not going to be the same without you. I will be in touch and will be checking your blog for updates very often! xoxoxo

57 Lisa @ Treadmill Runner January 17, 2011 at 9:34 pm

Congrats on taking the big leap! Best of luck and no worries, you will be swimming before you know it.

58 Page January 19, 2011 at 9:10 pm

I’m so, so very excited for you and your next adventure! Best of luck and I’ll be here watching your journey!