I’ll Miss this Place

by Meghann on January 12, 2011

If there’s two things I’m going to miss when I leave my job , it’s the people I work with and the office culture that goes with them. Sure, every company has their drama and quirks, but for the most part the office I work in has been a blast and the people I see day in and day out are amazing.

I’ll miss the quarterly golf tournaments…

traveling with my boss

….office olympics

….random ice cream socials

holiday parties

And taking long lunches with my co-workers.

Today I had one of those final long lunches with one of my office favorites – Mike. Mike and I both started at the company the same week back in August of 2008. We’ve both seen a lot of change in those two short years and it only seemed fitting to do one final lunch send off today.

Besides, who doesn’t appreciate a friend who isn’t ashamed to drink his cup of tea from  an artistic horse mug.

IMG_4270

(he’s single ladies – watch out!)

Too bad Dandelion doesn’t serve their ice tea of the day – today’s was raspberry! – from horse mugs. All I got was this boring cup.

IMG_4272

Next time I’m fighting for the mug!

I love Dandelion and was thrilled when Mike suggested it for lunch. They have delicious food and a cozy, hippie atmosphere to go with it. I plan to do a lot of work from here in the coming weeks. :)

I’m hooked on their Vegan Chili Nachos.

IMG_4274

No words. No words.

The chili is chunky, delicious, and full of beans, tempeh, and veggies. I can only ever eat half of my plate– it’s so filling!

Paired with a piece of cornbread – this is truly a perfect meal.

IMG_4277

I debated ordering a burrito and was really happy when Mike did so I could steal a bite.

IMG_4280

Next time I’m ordering the burrito. It’s worth a departure from the nachos – I promise.

I was feeling snacky before lunch, so I dove into a package of gummy buddies.

IMG_4269

Random Side Note

I thought this would be a great conversation starter for the comments section…

Are you a food sharer?

I love to try new foods and am CONSTANTLY asking to steal bites off of other people’s plates. You can ask Derek – it’s gotten to the point now where he doesn’t even ask if I want to try a bite, he simply picks the fork up and feeds me a sample like it’s second nature. And if you’ve ever had lunch or dinner with me, you’ve probably noticed I’m always asking to try ‘just a bite.’

I never think anything of it until today when I asked to try a bite of my co-worker’s burrito. We’re friends and have been out to lunch a few times in the past, but a little voice said ‘hold up there.’ I caught myself asking, retracted the question, and started laughing. He tore off a piece to share anyways and this whole topic popped up in my head.

I’m curious to hear your thoughts. Do you ask for bites too?

1 Ali @ Ali on the Run January 12, 2011 at 4:21 pm

Heck yes I ask for bites! And I expect whoever I’m dining with to ask for something off my plate, too. It’s how you get to sample everything! Though you’re right, with a coworker I probably would’ve held back.
Ali @ Ali on the Run recently posted..To Become a Road Runner…

2 Whitney @ Mylife.Myhear.MyJourney. January 12, 2011 at 4:21 pm

Constantly…I’m glad it’s not just me! :)
Whitney @ Mylife.Myhear.MyJourney. recently posted..Work Your Body Rest Your Body Love Your Life

3 amy January 12, 2011 at 4:22 pm

yes absolutely! I usually just stare at my husband’s food (he always gets the unhealthy delicious stuff…I get the boring stuff) until finally he offers a bite. it works every time! :)
amy recently posted..Stop and Go Running

4 suki @ [Super Duper Fantastic] January 12, 2011 at 4:22 pm

I am absolutely the sharing type. Poor RV has to order whatever else I want to try. :P But I think that’s just how we work.
suki @ [Super Duper Fantastic] recently posted..Into the Falls

5 Allison @ PickyEatingRD January 12, 2011 at 4:22 pm

I always share!!! I never eat all my food anyways so it doesn’t bother me when someone asks. I usually don’t steal any one elses food though since I am so choosy with what I will eat
Allison @ PickyEatingRD recently posted..Being Home

6 Jeni @ stepping out January 12, 2011 at 4:22 pm

I am totally a food sharer! It bugs my sister sometimes, at least it used to so I don’t do it as much but I love being able to try a bit or two of something that I wouldn’t get a whole meal of. I’m pretty shy though so I haven’t ever done it with a coworker, not sure if I would.
Jeni @ stepping out recently posted..Brought to you by Stir Crazy Productions

7 Evan Thomas January 12, 2011 at 4:23 pm

I never ask to share food. I think it’s because I wouldn’t want to be asked to share food. That being said, if someone asked me I’d probably comply because I like to please.

I’m going to miss your post about office olympics. Please return in 4 years to keep your title?

8 Brianna January 12, 2011 at 4:24 pm

I always ask for bites! I feel like people get annoyed with me haha. It took my boyfriend awhile to get used to it.

9 Kristy @ KristyRuns January 12, 2011 at 4:24 pm

What a great office! I wish mine was a positive place like that!

If I take a bite of someone else’s meal or someone takes a bit of mine, I’d prefer using a clean [un-used] fork. Except with my husband, we share everything. For a late night snack, we always share a bowl of cereal with one spoon, and that doesn’t seem gross at all to me. :)
Kristy @ KristyRuns recently posted..Blizzard of 2011

10 Maddie (the person) January 12, 2011 at 4:24 pm

lol too funny. I love stealing bites from people. Your office seems very similar to where I work…and yes I even try to snag bites from co-workers!
Maddie (the person) recently posted..maddie-em- Glee Nail Polish http-tco-G90cJ92 via @bellasugar

11 Emma (Sweet Tooth Runner) January 12, 2011 at 4:25 pm

I feel bad considering all the comments above, but I am SO a Joey from Friends…”JOEY (Emma!) DOESN’T SHARE FOOD!!” I don’t like it when people take food from my plate! I’m very possessive of my food…! :P Saying that, I do love baking for other people! :)
Emma (Sweet Tooth Runner) recently posted..Chocolate covered day

12 Sarah for Real January 12, 2011 at 4:25 pm

I’d only ask for a bite from my husband, mother or best friend. Other than those very close people, I think asking for a bite is awkward at best, rude at the worst.

At the same time, if my dining pal is ooohing and aaahhhing over my meal, I think it’s only polite to OFFER them a taste! And of course, tearing off bites or using clean silverware is only sanitary.

13 Christina January 12, 2011 at 4:25 pm

I’m a food sharer up to a point I guess. I will try food from friends and family, coworkers sure! But I don’t ask to share things like sandwiches or burrito’s because that either requires them to cut it or for me to actually put my mouth on it (that’s what she said…..I couldn’t help it lol). Chances are, if you had to think twice about it, it’s because it’s not really the type of thing you should do. Good thing he was a good sport and tore a piece off!
Christina recently posted..Pasta hoarder on the verge of dehydration

14 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat January 12, 2011 at 4:25 pm

I don’t mind sharing my food at all – unless I’m ridiculously hungry, in which case I’d advise others not to get between me and my plate!! I do like going to restaurants and ordering lots of appetizers to share. Sometimes everything just sounds so good and you have to try it all!
Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat recently posted..Lunch Prep Extravaganza

15 Jen January 12, 2011 at 4:26 pm

I won’t even share food with my husband because I’m such a germophobe. I know this is ridiculous, but I can’t help it. I’ll (carefully) cut a piece of food from my plate to share if asked though.
Jen recently posted..Cabin fever

16 Meghann January 12, 2011 at 7:57 pm

I’m the opposite of germophobe – I think that’s my problem :)

17 Kelly January 12, 2011 at 4:28 pm

I do if it’s someone I know really well.
Kelly recently posted..Roommate Night

18 Lisa (bakebikeblog) January 12, 2011 at 4:34 pm

I am 100% a food sharer!! Mr BBB and I often order 2 dishes to go halves in each :)
Lisa (bakebikeblog) recently posted..ACT Sprint Distance Triathlon – race recap

19 Kristina January 12, 2011 at 4:36 pm

My mom and I are totally the same way! We always snag a bite of whoever’s food we are eating with! It took my fiancée awhile to get used to me taking a bit of food whenever we would go out to eat! I always try to reciprocate by giving him a taste of my own food.

Apart from family and my fiancée….it depends on who else it is, one of my friends is an extreme germophobe and she has to initiate the sharing :) I would feel a little weird about sharing with a co-worker, but I have done it in the past!
Kristina recently posted..365 Project – Day 10

20 Brie @ Brie Fit January 12, 2011 at 4:36 pm

Only with my husband/mom/sister/best friends.

Tim and I always have the problem where we want to order the same thing to eat whenever we go out, but we don’t want to be THAT couple, so inevitably, one person ends up “winning” and getting what they want and the other just steals from the other person’s plate. It’s tragic.
Brie @ Brie Fit recently posted..1708 again

21 Jamie @ Food in Real Life January 12, 2011 at 4:39 pm

My husband and I are the exact same way. We always want the same thing and someone always “wins” (usually me because I don’t mind if we get the same thing but my husband does)
Jamie @ Food in Real Life recently posted..Taco Time

22 Kara January 12, 2011 at 4:37 pm

I would only ask people I know really well, like my husband or my parents. I can’t imagine asking a coworker…maybe I’m weird? It seems like a saliva sharing issue to me! :)
Kara recently posted..Why baby books can drive you insane

23 Jamie @ Food in Real Life January 12, 2011 at 4:38 pm

I’m NOT a food sharer! Only really with my husband, mom, or sister, otherwise I don’t want yours, so don’t take mine! Sounds kind of harsh but I just get grossed out by it.
Jamie @ Food in Real Life recently posted..Taco Time

24 Theodora January 12, 2011 at 4:38 pm

Totally depends on whom it is. My mom always offers me bites; my dad will give me a bite if I ask. If I’m with a relatively close friend, and I want a bite, sometimes I will offer a bite of mine first in hopes of them saying, “Do you want to try mine?”

“Well, if you insist!”
Theodora recently posted..Snow No!

25 Jen January 12, 2011 at 4:40 pm

Definitely a sharer. I always ask fellow dinners if they would like a bite and I hate when they don’t do the same. Other thing that drives me crazy? When dining buddy finishes his or her meal and has leftovers which they mindlessly hand over to waitstaff. Hey! Ill eat it!

26 Meghann January 12, 2011 at 7:59 pm

Haha! The same thoughts always go through me head too! :)

27 Jennifer (She's a Fit Chick) January 12, 2011 at 4:40 pm

That is so funny! I actually never do it but I have no good reason for it, I really should! I know leaving must be tough but think of how much excitement is ahead of you! :)

28 Alayna @ Thyme Bombe January 12, 2011 at 4:40 pm

Oh yeah. I’m one of those people that has to read the entire menu before deciding. I have to make sure I’m making the best possible choice, but even then I’ll wonder if I would have liked something else better. The only way to know is to try a bit of everyone else’s plate!
Alayna @ Thyme Bombe recently posted..Quick vegetable fried rice

29 Kelly January 12, 2011 at 4:41 pm

I am the same way about food sharing! I love it! I don’t think I could be married to someone who didn’t let me share his food. That was definitely a requirement for my husband. This is probably why I love tapas and tasting menus too.
Kelly recently posted..Oatmeal lover or not

30 Allison January 12, 2011 at 4:44 pm

My husband always eats his french fries first so I don’t steal them! He always makes sure I order EXACTLY what I want or else my “just a bite?” becomes “I like yours better! Just half your dish, dear?” haha.

I had sooo many times when I was out with people I didn’t know that well and I was DYING to ask them for a bite! It was very hard to resist, haha.

Oh, Meghann, I was wondering how your Soda Stream is working? Is at all you had hoped for? I was looking at them in the store the other day and was curious…
Allison recently posted..Vegan Challenge- Conclusion

31 Meghann January 12, 2011 at 8:00 pm

LOVE my Soda Stream! Best. Present. Ever. I just keep the water bottle in the fridge and fizz it when ever I feel like it. It’s so easy!!

32 Ally January 12, 2011 at 4:44 pm

I do that thing where I say “How’s your (insert food item here)? Is it good?” And that’s usually when my family member of choice will go “Yeah, you want some,” and I’ll say “Oh, okay!” Works nearly every time. The only thing is, now I have to ask if there’s dairy in it, so sometimes I have to turn them down! booooo!!!
Ally recently posted..Let it snow

33 Lish January 12, 2011 at 4:46 pm

I’m a food sharer if I’m with a good friend or certain family members. Other than that, unless offered a taste, I’m not one to ask for a taste.

My big pet peeve is people who order something boring, like, just a salad, and then end up stealing ‘bites’ from everyone else. Or they don’t order fries with their sandwich and eat mine off my plate. I don’t mind sharing, but there’s a line when it becomes mooch-y. I have a cousin who is the worst moocher ever! She’s a bit healthy eater, which is great, but she’ll talk about how many calories various appetizers have and blah, blah, blah… and then she’ll still grab bites, but she’ll never chip in for that item if we’re all splitting the bill. She’s also the worst about ordering a salad and then eating half of everyone’s food.

34 Erin January 12, 2011 at 7:36 pm

I so agree with this. I tried to say it in my comment but should have just read this! It’s really rude and annoying when that happens-I see trading bites with people when it’s a mutual agreement as completely different and a lot of fun.

35 Meghann January 12, 2011 at 8:00 pm

I’ll admit – I’m guilty of this. But Derek knows my rule – he orders fries and I order the side salad and I always get to steal two or three of his fries. Luckily, he never minds

36 Lacey @ Lake Life January 12, 2011 at 8:17 pm

LOL! You have to watch this :-)
Lacey @ Lake Life recently posted..The Dehydration Station

37 Lish January 13, 2011 at 1:25 pm

I love this!

38 Theresa @ActiveEggplant January 12, 2011 at 4:50 pm

Always! But only my husband…and occasionally my mom or sister. It just feels weird asking anyone else!
Theresa @ActiveEggplant recently posted..Cutting Loose

39 Bria January 12, 2011 at 4:52 pm

Unlike most of the other commenters, I am a food hoarder. I think it’s an animal instinct? My food is mine, and you can have some once my hunger wears off. ;)

My boyfriend is the opposite – he always offers some of his dish. Of course I offer him some of mine in exchange, but he knows better than to ask to try a bite as soon as I am served my plate ! haha
Bria recently posted..Ouch!

40 valerie January 12, 2011 at 5:05 pm

Ha. same here. I HATE to share my food and it irks me if someone asks. Besides food, I will share anything else.

41 Robin January 13, 2011 at 9:32 am

I am also a complete food hoarder! What is mine is MINE. However, there is one person I will share with. My 2yr old son. As soon as I have something in my mouth he immediately asks “can I have some?” No matter what it is!
I gladly give him what every I have, but everyone else can fend for themselves. :)

42 Maddie Essig January 12, 2011 at 4:54 pm

I love sharing bites. Mostly because then I can eat my way across the table. My sister HATES it. When we were little I would beg and beg for just a bit of her chicken fingers and she would refuse.
And then five minutes later when she was full and most of the food remained, now cold, she’d say, Want some? UGHHHH.
I feel weird asking though, unless it’s with someone I really know – my family, best friend, boyfriend.
Maddie Essig recently posted..Wednesday wonderland

43 Christin@purplebirdblog January 12, 2011 at 4:56 pm

I don’t mind sharing bites if someone comes out and asks, but I hate when people are like, “Ooohhhhhh, that looks so GOOOOD,” insinuating they want to try it without really asking for it!! :)
Christin@purplebirdblog recently posted..An Exciting Tuesday

44 Maryann January 12, 2011 at 4:59 pm

Yep! I always share with my fam and boyfriend. My bf is so sweet, if he orders a dish with meat he’ll ask for it on the side just so I can try a bite!
Maryann recently posted..What a Deal!

45 erica January 12, 2011 at 5:04 pm

i’m guilty of being a sharer/taster…the bf calls me a little bird pecking away at his food. hahahaha.

your workplace looks like an awesome place to work. i wish my work enviornment was 1/2 as fun.
erica recently posted..we’ve got snow…

46 Kacy January 12, 2011 at 5:04 pm

Haha, I’m down for food sharing. Not with total strangers, but for the most part I’m cool with it.
Kacy recently posted..Purse lockdown

47 Heather @ Side of Sneakers January 12, 2011 at 5:06 pm

Sharing food always makes me think of the friends episode- “Joey no share food!” haha

48 Matt @ The Kitchen of a Runner January 12, 2011 at 5:11 pm

I ALWAYS steal a bite ;)

49 CindyD. January 12, 2011 at 5:13 pm

I will TOTALLY share my grub with mostly anyone who wants some and have no shame stealing a sip of something, a bite of this, a forkful of whatever. Dessert may be my only breaking point, but if you trade bites than I can usually make myself do it. My best friend jokes about it, but she is a total non-sharer when it comes to the food on your plate. She tells me to get my own!

50 Meghann January 12, 2011 at 8:02 pm

Agreed. I am a dessert hoarder :)

51 OrlandoPaula @ Eat: Watch: Run January 12, 2011 at 5:14 pm

My husband and I just start forking each other’s plates without even asking. (That didn’t sound right, but you know what I mean!) Unless I really don’t know the person, I’ll usually take a bite or give a bite. Or two. Or three.
OrlandoPaula @ Eat: Watch: Run recently posted..My First Full Marathon

52 Kelly January 12, 2011 at 5:18 pm

I tend to jokingly ask for a bite of my boyfriends burger (I’m vegetarian) but he never lets me! one day.. :P. I always share my food with him because he eats way faster and is always done before me and I feel bad that he has no food left lol

53 emily January 12, 2011 at 5:25 pm

I don’t like taking bites but I do like sharing bites! I’m always so excited about what I ordered that I always want my friends to experience it too.
emily recently posted..I Keep Hitting “V” Instead of Space

54 Jes January 12, 2011 at 5:27 pm

I am a food sharer, mostly. I don’t like it when people ask for a bite, and then expect it to be eaten from my fork. (unless it’s my boyfriend, then fair game).

55 Sarah @ See Sarah Graduate January 12, 2011 at 5:37 pm

Oh I’m definitely a food sharer. I’m pretty sure it drives my friends and family nuts but oh well. :)
Sarah @ See Sarah Graduate recently posted..Namaste

56 Liz January 12, 2011 at 5:39 pm

Oh I’m totally a food sharer, even with my coworkers!

57 Amanda (Eating Up) January 12, 2011 at 5:41 pm

Depends on who it is! I’m not shy when it comes to close friends and family!
Amanda (Eating Up) recently posted..Four Your Information

58 Gabby (Quest for Delicious) January 12, 2011 at 5:48 pm

I totally share food! I’m cool with people taking some of mine and I love stealing a bite of others’ as well. (: It usually only ever happens at restaurants when there’s a toss up of things I want to order.

59 Sana January 12, 2011 at 6:05 pm

I totally share with James ( my ex/ best friend) so it’s ok if we have taken a bite or two. He just feeds me so I don’t have to ask! I am not so sure with other strangers! But I am game :)
Sana recently posted..Can I tell you a secret

60 Rae January 12, 2011 at 6:19 pm

Yup, Im a bite stealer :-) My hubbie and I do “perfect bites” when we go out-the object is to get a little part of each of the meal to feed each other-a perfect bite!!

61 Sarah January 12, 2011 at 6:29 pm

I ALWAYS ask for bites. I consider it the best part of going to lunch with a big crowd and ordering different things. And if someone else has french fries and I don’t, I always steal at least half. ;)

But my best friend’s mom/former boss thinks it is the most absolutely disgusting thing anyone can do. She doesn’t want anyone near her plate. On one occasion a relative of hers stole a piece of her muffin and she refused to eat the rest.

62 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey January 12, 2011 at 6:31 pm

I totally ask for bites when I can. Due to so many food intolerances, I can’t anymore, but the Husband used to be the same way. I’d dive my fork right into his meal before he could even get any… However, I’m kind of territorial with my food. Weird.
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..bananas

63 MaryBe@AccidentallyVegan January 12, 2011 at 6:37 pm

I still can’t believe you quit. It seems like such a great job!
And yes, our entire family shares. When we go out, we all order something different then dig in. It’s like our own personal smorgasbord! But I have a friend that, if you take even one french fry off her plate, she is DONE. Strange.
MaryBe@AccidentallyVegan recently posted..Please Enter My First Contest and Giveaway!

64 Meghann January 12, 2011 at 8:06 pm

It is a great job, but I have a feeling I’m going to like my new job even more. :)

65 Christine January 12, 2011 at 6:39 pm

I don’t normally straight up ask someone for a bite, and I guess since I don’t I’d find it a little strange if someone else asked, especially if I didn’t know them well. I am a big fan of the “hint,” though. “Wow, your’s looks really good, what is that a little cilantro?” Usually a tasted is offered/received. And, I think offers should be reciprocated- I try yours, you can try mine.

The one area where I seem to be most lax is with alcohol. I know it’s totally not true, but I justify it by saying that alcohol de-germifies things. Again, not an asker, but I find it totally fine if someone asks for a sip of my booze :)
Christine recently posted..Neat-o

66 Laura (Starloz) January 12, 2011 at 6:42 pm

i always share, i’m a lover for trying everything
Laura (Starloz) recently posted..Delight

67 Elizabeth@The Sweet Life January 12, 2011 at 6:45 pm

Are you scared at all about the big transition ahead? Are there tips you’d share for people as they contemplate such a big decision?

68 Meghann January 12, 2011 at 8:06 pm

I’m going to blog about all my thoughts. But I need to get through this last week first. :)

69 Lauren @ Fun, Fit and Fabulous! January 12, 2011 at 6:57 pm

I’m totally with you on this! I always like to try other peoples food! Im especially guilty of stealing french fries from my husband! I know I shouldn’t order them but they just sit there staring at me across the table!
Lauren @ Fun, Fit and Fabulous! recently posted..Weekend Fun!

70 Katherine: Unemployed January 12, 2011 at 7:15 pm

it is so important to find the right people you enjoy working with!
Katherine: Unemployed recently posted..Rascal Flatts

71 Whitney January 12, 2011 at 7:20 pm

I’m a food sharer…most definitely!! My family and I love to go out to eat and order different things so we can share.
Whitney recently posted..Snow Day and Vegan Tomato Basil Pasta

72 Annie January 12, 2011 at 7:23 pm

I always ask for bites! My family always shares and that’s what I’m used to. I do it with friends all the time.

One time, a roommate got very mad at me for doing so. She claimed I was poaching on other people’s meals. I apologized and told her I was sorry for offending her, but that unless other people asked me to stop, I was going to keep asking for bites from them, and continue offering bites off of my plate as well.

73 Erin January 12, 2011 at 7:30 pm

I love to share food. But I’d never just ask! I never thought of it. If I plan to share meals with someone, it’s different of course, but it seems a tad rude to ask for a bite of someone else’s. I think you should just order what you want to begin with, rather than steal “the good stuff” from someone else’s plate as someone said above.
But I do love to share food, so I get it. In a perfect world, I’d get to taste everything! I usually offer to let people to try my plate, but I’d never ask to just try someone’s!

74 Sarah (Sarah Learns) January 12, 2011 at 7:34 pm

i ALWAYS share bites with my family and friends! that way you get to taste everything. i also always order something that no one else is ordering so that i will definitely get to try multiple dishes. the only time i won’t is if i’m sick, they’re sick, or if i’m eating with someone i don’t really know well (and even if i don’t know them well, i sometimes ask to share if they seem like they wouldn’t think it’s weird!).
Sarah (Sarah Learns) recently posted..thoughts on meditation

75 Lacey @ Lake Life January 12, 2011 at 7:47 pm

On a random note does that guy wearing the camo shirt work in your office? It looks like it must have been “extremely casual Friday” lol.

To answer your question, if the person has a whole package of food I may ask to try one it if it’s something I’ve never had before, but I would never ask for a bite of someone’s plate of food (unless it’s family).
Lacey @ Lake Life recently posted..The Dehydration Station

76 Meghann January 12, 2011 at 8:08 pm

Yes, he’s a developer. I’ve learned that developers have their own sense of ‘casual business’ it works thought. I can come to work in just about anything – including yoga pants (which I’ve totally done before)

77 Lacey @ Lake Life January 12, 2011 at 7:55 pm

Whoops. Make that camo PANTS and “you just got owned” shirt lol.
Lacey @ Lake Life recently posted..The Dehydration Station

78 Katie January 12, 2011 at 8:05 pm

Those vegan chili nachos look so good ! U need to recreate those at home!

I would share my food if anyone wanted to eat what I eat, lol, my fiance and son would never want to eat the healthy stuff I eat! My fiance and I do share though sometimes, especailly sushi!!!!
Katie recently posted..Coconut Berry On my Oats

79 Jess-The SemiAbnormal Gal January 12, 2011 at 8:26 pm

Not only am I a sharer, I’m a food stealer. It’s not intentional….my family just always reached over and ate off each others plates so I do it subconsciously. Luckily all of my friends are the same way. I dated a guy in college who would get so mad at me for snitching a bite of his food (which was ironic because his mom is a food sharer so she and I would always swap items). I couldn’t understand why he would get angry with me because we were dating, it’s not like sharing germs was an issue!
Jess-The SemiAbnormal Gal recently posted..The Top 5 Reasons Gville Needs a PF Changs- according to The Semi-Abnormal Gal

80 Mimi January 12, 2011 at 8:26 pm

I think I’d LIKE to ask for food more than I actually do. With the fiancee or family it’s no big deal, but just a little awkward to me in other situations. Besides, because I’m vegetarian, there are just a lot of meals that I can’t pick off of.
Mimi recently posted..Hit me with your best shot

81 ezzie January 12, 2011 at 8:38 pm

I like to taste other people’s food, but in return I share, too :)
ezzie recently posted..We are the Champions who eat flourless cookies

82 Ali January 12, 2011 at 8:41 pm

I would ask for a bite if it was someone I knew well enough to do so. My boyfriend, family, and good friends are pretty much all “okay” to ask. I don’t think I would do it with someone I barely knew or a work person (unless we were close).
Ali recently posted..Second Semester

83 Courtney January 12, 2011 at 8:49 pm

I am always asking for bites…or two! It has driven my twin sister crazy for years, and my boyfriend is just starting to catch on to it…only he is sometimes reluctant to share the really tasty things he chooses (can’t blame him)!

84 Melissa @ Running with Needles January 12, 2011 at 8:57 pm

I always ask for bites from my fiance’s plate – usually because he gets something I would never order because it’s so high in calories. But one bite usually does the trick.
Melissa @ Running with Needles recently posted..Saying Goodbye

85 cassie January 12, 2011 at 9:11 pm

oh i know what you mean! it’s so exciting to move on from one job to another, especially when you just weren’t happy. but it’s hard to leave behind the people you now call friends. when i left my job, they had a happy hour for me and i cried through the whole thing! i still miss the friends i made, but we keep in touch and i get the best of both worlds :)

86 Katy (The Singing Runner) January 12, 2011 at 9:30 pm

Depending on what the person is eating, I will ask for a bite! :D

87 Paige (Two Runners And A Brown Dog) January 12, 2011 at 9:31 pm

I do not like sharing my food; and I hate when people ask me for a bite. The only person that I will share with is my husband. Call me stingy or greedy, but I work hard for those calories, and I don’t want someone else taking them away from me! :) One time, I was at lunch with a group of co-workers. I didn’t know how well acquainted most of these people were, because I was new. Anyway, one lady started angling toward my salad with her fork, and I was like, “What are you doing!!!” They all laughed, but I was serious…Don’t touch my food! LOL!

88 Jenna @Eating Green, Staying Lean January 12, 2011 at 10:01 pm

That cornbread looks like it was to die for! Yum.

And as far as food sharing goes? I never used to be too interested in sharing foods until I became SO interested in cooking healthy foods and trying new things in the past 5 or so years…so yes, I LOVE sharing foods (as long as someone asks first). I mean, why not?
Jenna @Eating Green, Staying Lean recently posted..Surf ‘n’ Turf Stir Fry!

89 Kristen January 12, 2011 at 10:18 pm

I love to try other people’s food!

If I’m dining with a client or co-worker, where maybe it’s not appropriate to ask for a bite, I’ll comment how good my food is and ask if they’d like to try it. They usually reciprocate by offering me a bite, works every time ;)

90 M January 12, 2011 at 10:18 pm

Yup, germophobe here!

Don’t know how the lovely Kath (KERF) can share beers/drinks with friends…once someone else has had a sip of my drink, I am done with it!
The idea of potentially sharing another’s SALIVA (besides one’s lover of course!) just grosses me out-ewwwwww! Blech!

As for sharing bites….same deal-hate when everyone dips their fork(and saliva!) into a piece of cake/pie etc. but if it is cut up and divvied up first, then
I am super happy to share anything(besides drinks!!!)

91 Mary January 13, 2011 at 12:42 am

Those nachos look ah-maz-ing!

The only person whose food I sample is my husband’s, but he’s also learned to just hand over a forkful!
Mary recently posted..Facing My Nemesis

92 maria @ Chasing the Now January 13, 2011 at 1:13 am

I don’t mind sharing bites with my husband or a really good friend, but with a co-worker I probably wouldn’t.

I never ask for a bite, though. My husband is the opposite: if he wants to try something of someoneelse’s he will ask and does not care a bit. I think it’s a little rude (not sure why).
maria @ Chasing the Now recently posted..No time for Steel

93 Amanda January 13, 2011 at 5:18 am

Totally share with the Hus and my sister, but otherwise no. I’m much too much of a germ freak!

Oh and props to you for following your dreams and quitting your job. I did it last March (still working on the dreams/goals part tho!) and while I still look back at times and miss it, I’m so glad I left :)
Amanda recently posted..Surprise!

94 Jennie @ Designed To Be Fit January 13, 2011 at 8:37 am

I’m a bite giver. I’m usually saying “OMG you have to try this!” and putting it on their plate, rather than asking for bites. I’m pretty picky with food, so it’s actually kind of rare that I want a bite. Plus the husband always gets a hamburger everywhere we go (I MEAN EVERYWHERE) so I already know I won’t want a bite.

95 Katie January 13, 2011 at 9:14 am

i’m a bite taker, to the point that my friends would call me “can i have a bite” katie when i was in college. i just never want to miss out on something delicious! and i have no problems sharing with strangers :)

96 Juani January 13, 2011 at 10:10 am

I never really have to ask for bites,because I live in a small town in South Africa,and within our ‘culture’,we randomly ask dinnermates whether they would like bites of whatever we’re eating,if we’re eating at home,or at a restaurant.I’m Afrikaans,so I don’t know if all South African cultures do this,but we definitely do.

97 Ori January 13, 2011 at 10:58 am

No, I never ask for bites of people’s food and it actually irritates me a lot when people ask to try mine! Especially if it’s a casual acquantaince….you never know where someone’s mouth has been and I get grossed out by saliva and teeth. If someone wants to share I would rather scrape some of my food onto their plate. Besides, it’s one of those questions that puts someone on the spot because you can’t say no without sounding like a jerk.