Dance Trance

by Meghann on January 12, 2011

Success!

Screen shot 2011-01-12 at 8.28.10 PM.png

After FOUR failed attempts I finally made it to Dance Trance class tonight and finally had the chance to see what all the hype was about. πŸ™‚

In case you are unfamiliar with the Dance Trance concept… Dance Trance is a really cool dance class type atmosphere where they pump the music and perform various choreographed dances in the span of an hour class. It’s fast paced, it’s hip, and it reminds me of my good ole cheerleading days when I used to pop it and lock it like there’s no tomorrow.

Dance-Trance-Fitness---Orlando.jpg

Traditionally I have not been a fan of dance style fitness classes. I have very little rhythm and the few that I’ve attended have been Latin based. I hate to say it, but – as much as Derek wishes otherwise – Latin style music is not my favorite and if I don’t like the music, I’m never going to get into the moves.

Dance trance is different. All the music is high intensity top-40 stuff you would hear in a club. It’s songs that I know and can sing along to. Being able to sing along is key when dancing. πŸ˜‰

The local Orlando Dance Trance studio offers ‘Dance Trance Light’ (where they actually break the moves down during class) and good ole regular Dance Trance (where they hop right into it). Unbeknownst to me, I attended regular ole Dance Trance tonight. The instructor came in, turned the music on, and everyone sort of jumped into it.

At first I was scared. All the girls around me started knocking the moves out and I assumed – since I had never seen the dance before in my life – that I would never be able to catch on. But, then I looked around and found comfort in all the newbies I suddenly saw around me. I was not alone here and no one cared what everyone else was doing.

The dances were designed to easily be picked up. A lot of moves were repeated, once you did something on one side you knew it was coming to the other, and just listening to the beat you could assume what was going to come next. Suddenly those 12+ years of dance classes and cheerleading were coming back to me and I was actually able to not only follow along, but was able to keep up with everyone around me. I was getting it AND I was having fun.

Did I look like any of those rockstar dancers? No. But, that didn’t matter. I was proud of what I was doing and I was having a blast in the process. Not to mention I was sweating like a mad woman! We did half a dozen full length songs and I was feeling the burn. Not in that ‘I’m working my ass off running on the treadmill way’ but in the ‘I’ve been on the dance floor all night’ sort of way. Loved that!

I would happily give Dance Trance two big thumbs up and can’t wait to go back! It’s a little pricey, but right now they’re offering the 6pm Wednesday class for $5. I will definitely be taking advantage of that while it’s available. πŸ™‚

One thing about class was that I discovered halfway through just how starving I was. All that dancing really built up my appetite!

I came home and made my own burrito (since I had missed out on a really good one at Dandelion today)

Let’s call this ‘Left Over Hungry Meghann Burrito’

Basically it was a wrap filled with left over Cheesy Butternut Squash Quinoa Casserole, Spinach, and Salsa.

My fridge is crammed with left overs right now. Prepare to see some creativity with them. πŸ™‚

I had broccoli on the side, but didn’t end up eating it because it tasted funny.

I did a quick microwave boil with the broccoli and the funky water taste soaked into the broccoli. Blah. Luckily Maddie didn’t mind as I fed them to her one by one.

For dessert the last of my christmas cookies straight from the freezer.

I am wiped! I’ve been doing double work this week (office during the day, building my start up at night) and I’m exhausted. Luckily I won’t have to keep this up for too much longer! πŸ™‚

1 melissa January 12, 2011 at 9:34 pm

amazing, sounds like a great class. and good music is so important. drooling over your butternut burrito!
melissa recently posted..Phases and Goals

2 Ali @ Ali on the Run January 12, 2011 at 9:34 pm

Ugh, so jealous! I’ve been reading all about Dance Trance lately from various bloggers but haven’t heard of any classes in NYC. Thanks for the awesome review and breakdown of the class. Glad you loved it!
Ali @ Ali on the Run recently posted..To Become a Road Runner…

3 Stacy @ Every Little Thing January 12, 2011 at 9:37 pm

That class looks amazing! I’ll have to look into those, I don’t think I’ve ever heard of them!
Stacy @ Every Little Thing recently posted..Blackberry Oat Muffins

4 Katie January 12, 2011 at 9:41 pm

So happy you took the class and loved it! If you are ever in Fort Wayne ( which I dont know why you would be, nothing here, lol ) you can come take my class!!!! I would love to have you! Have a great night girl ! xo
Katie recently posted..Coconut Berry On my Oats

5 Lacey @ Lake Life January 12, 2011 at 9:42 pm

Dance Trance kind of reminds me of Zumba except for the Top 40 part. I was terrified my first class when it seemed like everyone just knew what moves to do with no instruction, but by the end felt way more confident. $5 sounds very reasonable. Zumba is $7 a class here πŸ™
Lacey @ Lake Life recently posted..The Dehydration Station

6 Kristy @ KristyRuns January 12, 2011 at 9:42 pm

Looks like at blast! I wonder if they have that in Atlanta?

I love that you made a burrito out of your leftovers! I need to stock up on tortillas, so I can do that…
Kristy @ KristyRuns recently posted..Blizzard of 2011

7 Bess January 12, 2011 at 9:54 pm

Thinking of going Saturday… looks like so much fun!

8 Dori January 12, 2011 at 9:54 pm

Sounds like such a fun class! The only workout class I ever walked out of was a dance class at my old gym, because the choreography was just too hard for me.
Dori recently posted..Mojo

9 Kaitlin January 12, 2011 at 9:55 pm

Dance Trance sounds totally awesome!! And those cookies look divine! Enjoy your last few days at work πŸ™‚
Kaitlin recently posted..Two Tutorials

10 Sarah (Sarah Learns) January 12, 2011 at 9:56 pm

i’m glad you had such great time in a new class! dance classes totally intimidate me. i was not blessed with any kind of rhythm. i’ll do my dance trance-ing in my kitchen! πŸ™‚

and your burrito looks delicious! i love making wraps with leftovers like that!
Sarah (Sarah Learns) recently posted..thoughts on meditation

11 Lauren @ Fun, Fit and Fabulous! January 12, 2011 at 9:57 pm

I think you read my mind! I actually googled Dance Trsnce earlier to figure out exactly what it was. I had heard so much about it in the blog world, I was curious! It sounds very similar to a class I teach called Dance Cardio Party!! Thanks for filling me in! πŸ™‚
Lauren @ Fun, Fit and Fabulous! recently posted..Weekend Fun!

12 Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) January 12, 2011 at 9:58 pm

I love the dance trance “review” and that you just did it…without regard to looking like an old pro..you just dived right in, yay!!! We all gotta start somewhere. And for me, that would be at ground zero. I

‘ve never done dance trance but i totally wanna try! My dance trance days used to be in clubs with drinks in hand…oh it was a trance alright πŸ™‚
Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) recently posted..Special K Bars

13 Kristina @ life as kristina January 12, 2011 at 9:58 pm

That wrap sounds and looks delish!
I’ve wanted to try dance trance by hearing and reading all the reviews on it-but there is no place even close around me!
So glad you liked it. Its always nice to find new exercise classes that you can have fun in!

14 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey January 12, 2011 at 9:59 pm

Dance Trance sounds so much fun! I love dancing but I’m not the best. I have just discovered Just Dance on the Wii – I rock! πŸ™‚
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..bananas

15 Heather M January 12, 2011 at 9:59 pm

Those cookies look great!! I just saw on facebook where your brother registered for his first marathon! I live in Nashville, I really wanted to sign up but I don’t think I’ll be ready this year. Hopefully next year. I have a friend that runs the half every year and always wants me to do it with her…I just need the motivation to get started. Love your blog!!!

16 Sana January 12, 2011 at 10:04 pm

I am soo jealous! I want to take a class like that ASAP!
Sana recently posted..Can I tell you a secret

17 Dorry January 12, 2011 at 10:08 pm

Sounds like a blast! It’s fun to work up a sweat in a new way every now and then. I love taking advantage of the great fitness deals going on right now.
Dorry recently posted..Self-Discovery- Word by Word- CREATIVITY

18 Jenna @Eating Green, Staying Lean January 12, 2011 at 10:12 pm

I’ve heard so many great things about Dance Trance! I’ll need to find a class here in DC!
Jenna @Eating Green, Staying Lean recently posted..Surf β€˜n’ Turf Stir Fry!

19 Lauren @Hungry Dancer January 12, 2011 at 10:24 pm

Dance trance looks like something I would LOVE! But unfortunately I haven’t heard of it in the Los Angeles area. I always feel so silly in a new class when everyone knows what’s going on and I’m just figuring it out…but then I remember everyone was as silly as me at some point!
Lauren @Hungry Dancer recently posted..The Hungry Dancer has arrived!!!

20 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) January 12, 2011 at 10:24 pm

That sounds like a fun class! I’m pretty shy, so I don’t know if I would try something like that, but who knows πŸ™‚
Kate (What Kate is Cooking) recently posted..2010 Goals- A Look Back

21 Carolyn @ lovinlosing January 12, 2011 at 10:40 pm

Hmmm…seems there’s a dance trance studio not too far from me. It’s definitely a little pricey, but maybe I’ll check it out.
Carolyn @ lovinlosing recently posted..Meat and Potatoes

22 Heather January 12, 2011 at 10:50 pm

I wish Dance Trance was offered near me πŸ™ Looks like so much fun.

Also, be careful with how much broccoli you give Maddie, broc in large quantities can be toxic to dogs πŸ™

23 Jessica @ The Process of Healing January 12, 2011 at 10:52 pm

Gah that sounds like SO MUCH FUN!!!
Jessica @ The Process of Healing recently posted..Snowed In

24 Katy (The Singing Runner) January 12, 2011 at 11:05 pm

I’ve always wanted to try Dance Trance…. but it is a little expensive for a college student. πŸ˜‰ Wish they had the $5 deal around here!

25 Brittaney@ the girl that can't cook January 12, 2011 at 11:11 pm

MMM I want that burrito!

26 Christin@purplebirdblog January 12, 2011 at 11:17 pm

That burrito looks amazing!! I love making leftover whatever burritos!!
Christin@purplebirdblog recently posted..An Exciting Tuesday

27 Alissa January 12, 2011 at 11:55 pm

I have been reading about Dance Trance everywhere it seems over the past couple of months. I am hoping that they are really looking into expanding all over the country. This sounds like an exercise class too much fun to pass up.
Alissa recently posted..Working on my inspiration board

28 Grace January 13, 2011 at 12:44 am

You’re so brave! I am so self conscious in large group work outs…and my boyfriend is endlessly making fun of me because the only moves I have include bobbing up and down because I am so excited to actually be dancing! and I love Dandelion their nachos and burritos are really amazing!
Grace recently posted..Orlando Electronic Interactive Entertainment Convention

29 Amanda January 13, 2011 at 4:59 am

DT looks like so much fun! I can’t wait to pop this kid out and start getting into shape, I’ll have to look into seeing if one of these is reasonably priced in my area πŸ™‚
Amanda recently posted..Surprise!

30 Laura (Starloz) January 13, 2011 at 5:03 am

i love the idea of a burrito, seriously incredible.
Laura (Starloz) recently posted..Delight

31 Matt @ The Kitchen of a Runner January 13, 2011 at 6:26 am

You should open a chipotle πŸ˜‰

32 Brittney January 13, 2011 at 7:36 am

Sounds like that class is a great fit for you. I’m kind of dance-tarded so I think I’d be kind of lost in a class like that. I might have to just stick to running!
Brittney recently posted..A Productive Snow Day

33 Melissa January 13, 2011 at 7:39 am

I once had to supervise a belly dancing class for my job. Not only did I not know what was going on, but I had to stand in front of the class to help with safety and form cues. I love trying to new classes, its good to push yourself out of your comfort zone every once in awhile
Melissa recently posted..All About the Morning Routine

34 Hope January 13, 2011 at 8:12 am

I’ve never heard of Dance Trance but it sounds like a ton of fun! I’m going to have to see if they offer that in my area. It sounds like a fun workout! Plus, your burrito looks so yummy!
Hope recently posted..A Birthday Celebration &amp The Rest of The Weekend…

35 Haleigh January 13, 2011 at 8:28 am

I love dance type fitness classes!! They are always so much more fun than the traditional fitness class. I’m glad you had a fun time πŸ™‚
Haleigh recently posted..Ice Mission

36 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday January 13, 2011 at 8:53 am

I don’t really like Dance based fitness classes because it takes me a while to get coordinated and in that time I don’t feel that I’m getting a workout.

Sometimes I just have my own dance party at home. Me, music, and however the hell I feel like dancing (usually, it’s a lot of jumping around.). As a matter of fact I had a dance party last night!

37 Kara January 13, 2011 at 9:02 am

Dance trance sounds so much fun! I wish we had a studio around here, I would go for sure! Are you going to keep going back until you nail the moves? πŸ™‚
Kara recently posted..Why baby books can drive you insane

38 Kelly January 13, 2011 at 10:09 am

I’m the worst dancer ever, I don’t know if I could handle Dance Trance haha but it sounds fun.
Kelly recently posted..Roommate Night

39 Kacy January 13, 2011 at 10:24 am

That sounds really fun! The Zumba at my gym is more hip-hop than Latin and I love it!

That’s awesome that Maddie likes broccoli. What a healthy pup πŸ™‚

40 Beth @ DiningAndDishing January 13, 2011 at 10:59 am

Good to know! That’s one class I’ve not tried. I looove Body Pump and Body Combat so perhaps that’s another one to add to the list!
Beth @ DiningAndDishing recently posted..My Motto

41 Victoria January 13, 2011 at 11:01 am

I’ve been wanting to try Dance Trance! It’s right by my house – I may have to hit up the $5 class tonight!
Victoria recently posted..College Park Yoga Review

42 Victoria January 13, 2011 at 11:01 am

oops – make that next week!
Victoria recently posted..College Park Yoga Review

43 Kiran January 13, 2011 at 11:07 am

Thanks to you, now I would be saving $$$ by going every Wednesday! Wahoo! Tag along to make it a weekly thingy?

44 Alina @ Duty Free Foodie January 14, 2011 at 11:36 am

I’ve been doing more dance as a workout lately too, and I love it! It’s a lot of fun and a great way to be in my body for me. Depending on the class and the instructor, it can also be as intense as running for me, if not more!
Alina @ Duty Free Foodie recently posted..Eleven in 2011

45 Allison @ Happy Tales January 14, 2011 at 12:06 pm

Ahhhh I wish they had DanceTrance here in Charlotte!! That sounds like SOOO much fun and right up my alley!
Allison @ Happy Tales recently posted..Just do it

46 Matori February 2, 2013 at 11:08 pm

I love Dance Trance Jacksonville. They changed my life. I traded my husband and upgraded with their help. They are truly fountain of youth.

47 Susan Moore April 10, 2013 at 9:36 am

Hey, guys. I wanted to let those of you from Charlotte know that Dance Trance is coming your way! Hopefully this summer! I’m bringing the program to Charlotte and cannot wait to get my location started. Please check out our global site at dancetrancefitness.com. Looking for recommendations on the best place to open. Feel free to drop me a note at susan@dancetrancefitness.com with suggestions or just to say hi.
Susan Moore recently posted..April 2013 Instructor Workshop Photo Album