Heather’s First Marathon

by Meghann on January 11, 2011

I think it’s beginning to sink in just how much I have to get done before I bid this job adieu at the the end of the week. *Commence freak out.* I have two more meetings and have been assigned the lovely task of documenting my daily tasks for the next person that takes my position (so far I have 6 pages and am no where near finish). Yikes!

Lunch was fast today, so I could have enough time to put this post up before my next meeting.

IMG_4204

I had some of yesterday’s (cold) Cheesy Butternut Squash & Quinoa Casserole left overs.

IMG_4197

I had every intention to actually heat the casserole up, but was enjoying the cold bites straight from the casserole dish so much, I decided not to mess with it. 🙂

Blue chips on the side for dipping.

IMG_4206

And snap peas for a touch of green. 🙂

IMG_4200

Heather’s First Marathon

marathon! 025.b

The day before, there is a surreal realization that THE race is finally upon you. All the training is done, the manic-freakout-taperer is gone, the miles have been logged, the happy-hours have been missed, and the weekend mornings have been consumed with planning and executing Long Runs.  Now, seemingly all of a sudden, you’re DONE. You have one more thing to check of the list for this round; 26.2 miles. My other pre-race to-do’s: create the playlist, study the course, SLEEP, carb-load & stay hydrated!

We couldn’t have asked for better weather, though the 70* were slightly foreign to a winter-trained and dressed runner. The challenge for the day (besides, you know, running a marathon) was to pay close attention, avoid over-heating, and stay hydrated! I used the first 10 miles to go “easy”, and soak in the sights of DC that I loved, and that felt familiar. When the half-marathoners split from us, I worried it’d be the first point to mentally break through and remind myself I had another 13.1 to go. Instead, I knew that stopping now would leave my well-trained muscles unsatisfied. They had something to prove!

Mile 18 brought with it mental and physical fatigue; we headed over a bridge into uncharted grounds. The last 10K would be touch on every level; I finally gave in to walking breaks, and tried every mind trick in the book to keep myself going. Passing through the last water stop – mile 25 – I didn’t “need” anything. My handheld bottle was filled, and I didn’t want to pause for anything, knowing the more I ran, the quicker I’d cross the Finish Line. A volunteer singled me out – “Go, girl! Give me everything you’ve got for 10 more minutes!” – telling me exactly what I needed to hear.

I DID IT!

I was completely Exhausted when I crossed the Finish line. I saw D, put my hands on my head and motioned for him to meet me around at the end of the Food Tent. Water, apple, pretzel & powerade in hand – I leaned into him and fought a Very strong urge to just Cry. I could not believe this race was actually behind me and that I actually RAN for 26.2 miles. I couldn’t believe that 4 months of training had brought me to this day, and I could finally say…

“I’m a Marathoner.”

marathon! 034

*Read more about Heather’s adventures on her blog Dietitian On the Run*

1 Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) January 11, 2011 at 1:16 pm

The pure joy after running your 1st marathon…that is such a great feeling and you look so proud and glowing Heather…love it!

Meghann…good luck today…you sound ridic busy and slammed! Your eats look delish 🙂
Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) recently posted..Fun Book Review- Technical Reading

2 Kristy @ KristyRuns January 11, 2011 at 1:18 pm

This is going to be a crazy week for you, but it’s all worth it!

Yay, Heather! Awesome recap. 4 months of hard work paying off. 🙂
Kristy @ KristyRuns recently posted..Blizzard of 2011

3 Christin@purplebirdblog January 11, 2011 at 1:20 pm

Cold leftovers are the bessssssst. 🙂
Christin@purplebirdblog recently posted..Wrap it up- Buttercup!

4 Emma (Sweet Tooth Runner) January 11, 2011 at 1:22 pm

CONGRATS Heather! Amazing story! And your blog looks great by the way! 🙂
Emma (Sweet Tooth Runner) recently posted..Chocolate covered day

5 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday January 11, 2011 at 1:25 pm

Congrats on your first marathon! I love the inspiration 😀

6 Jasmine @ Eat Move Write January 11, 2011 at 1:35 pm

I probably missed it, but are you taking a new job or just leaving your current one to blog?

I really think that casserole sounds great. I may have to replicate it on my blog.

Have a great last week at work! It can be stressful and bittersweet at the same time. 🙂
Jasmine @ Eat Move Write recently posted..Questions About Apartment Hunting

7 Meghann January 11, 2011 at 2:02 pm
8 Dorry January 11, 2011 at 1:39 pm

I love Heather! This was a really fun recap to read. Running has become an important part of my life and it’s great to read about other people’s experiences.
Dorry recently posted..Sum-It-Up Saturday

9 Hope January 11, 2011 at 1:44 pm

Good luck getting everything done today! At least it will make the day go by quickly. I can’t get over how delicious that casserole looks. Yum!
Hope recently posted..A Birthday Celebration &amp The Rest of The Weekend…

10 Brittney January 11, 2011 at 1:44 pm

I love reading the marathon recaps! I’m seriously in awe every time.

11 Lauren January 11, 2011 at 1:59 pm

I love the line of giving all you have for 10 more minutes! That probably sounds like a lot by 25 minutes, but 10 minutes really puts things in perspective while running.
Lauren recently posted..SNOW LOVE

12 Katy (The Singing Runner) January 11, 2011 at 2:15 pm

I love this recap! I just ran my first half on Saturday and reading marathon recaps inspire me to eventually run a full! 😀

13 Josephine @ Creating a Positive Life January 11, 2011 at 2:23 pm

Awww that is a great post and very inspiring. Makes me wanna try my first someday 🙂
Josephine @ Creating a Positive Life recently posted..Running Intervals 1

14 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) January 11, 2011 at 2:43 pm

I usually don’t heat up my leftovers either for the same reason 🙂
Kate (What Kate is Cooking) recently posted..2010 Goals- A Look Back

15 Matt @ The Kitchen of a Runner January 11, 2011 at 2:44 pm

Congrats Heather! That is awesome 🙂

16 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat January 11, 2011 at 2:54 pm

Aren’t leftovers the best??

Congrats Heather, what an inspiring story!
Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat recently posted..Lunch Prep Extravaganza

17 Heather @ Dietitian on the Run January 11, 2011 at 2:56 pm

Thanks for all the love, guys! And for posting this, Meghann! 🙂 A full is definitely worth the hard work and mental strength that it teaches you! If anyone is running the Suntrust National full or half in DC (coming uip in March), that’s the race I was referring to! 🙂

P.S. Meghann, that casserole….omg Yummmm.
Heather @ Dietitian on the Run recently posted..Meatless Monday- Tempeh BBQ Veggie Soup

18 Meghann January 12, 2011 at 6:57 am

Thank YOU Heather – You rock!!! 🙂

19 Allison @ PickyEatingRD January 11, 2011 at 2:58 pm

Congrats on your first marathon heather!!! I have yet to complete one but as I read more and more stories it inspires me to think I should!
Allison @ PickyEatingRD recently posted..Being Home

20 Lisa (bakebikeblog) January 11, 2011 at 4:04 pm

Good luck on finishing all your tasks! It is never easy ‘ending’ a job 🙂

Oh and BIG CONGRATS to Heather!!
Lisa (bakebikeblog) recently posted..ACT Sprint Distance Triathlon – race recap

21 Kacy January 11, 2011 at 4:36 pm

Congrats to Heather!
Kacy recently posted..Purse lockdown

22 Kara January 11, 2011 at 4:37 pm

That was a great recap…I can’t wait to one day run my 1st full marathon (hopefully in Oct!)

Are you going to do the Marine Corps Marathon? That’s the one I’m going to try to do (if I can get in!)
Kara recently posted..Faiths favorite things-Part 1

23 Meghann January 12, 2011 at 6:58 am

I want to try and do Marine Corps! It’s on my marathon wish list!

24 Allison January 11, 2011 at 4:56 pm

Great job Heather! That’s so inspiring for my first half marathon!

And good luck with all the job stuff, Meghann! Think how relieved you will feel on Friday night! =D
Allison recently posted..Vegan Challenge- Conclusion

25 Elizabeth@The Sweet Life January 11, 2011 at 5:56 pm

Make sure you add “update blog” to your list of daily tasks! 🙂

26 Meghann January 12, 2011 at 6:59 am

Oh, it’s on there!

27 Katherine: Unemployed January 11, 2011 at 6:01 pm

I wish I was running still 🙁 congrats heather
Katherine: Unemployed recently posted..Rascal Flatts

28 Allie January 11, 2011 at 6:42 pm

Go Heather!! Woo!!!!!
Allie recently posted..My life in 30 days- day 24

29 Aleyta January 11, 2011 at 7:20 pm

Hi!
I’ve been a lurker for about a year now. I have to say you are so inspirational. I follow a few of you and your friends’ blogs and you all are SO active, healthy and positive. Keep it up, you are all amazing!!!

Sincerely,
Aleyta

sequinsandsippycups.blogspot.com
Aleyta recently posted..Outfit of the day and a little water fun

30 Meghann January 12, 2011 at 6:59 am

Thank You Aleyta! This comment just made my day!

31 Emily January 11, 2011 at 7:47 pm

You will make it through the work tasks! I filled a whole binder with the how-tos of my job when I left. 🙂
Emily recently posted..This Just In-

32 amanda January 11, 2011 at 7:52 pm

those blue chips look really good to me right about now.
amanda recently posted..i know you can be overwhelmed

33 Lew (ashandlewplus2.com) January 11, 2011 at 7:57 pm

Thank you for sharing Heathers story. I really enjoy hearing others joy of finishing. Have a great night
Lew
Lew (ashandlewplus2.com) recently posted..Game Night

34 Bobbie January 11, 2011 at 8:40 pm

Thanks for sharing your story…It makes me want to run a marathon, almost! 🙂
Bobbie recently posted..Snow Day!

35 Doc (The Healthy PhD) January 11, 2011 at 8:56 pm

Hey, Florida girl, did you see that your state is the ONLY one without snow right now?!?!

I saw this and thought of you!
Doc (The Healthy PhD) recently posted..Starting the week right

36 Meghann January 12, 2011 at 6:56 am

Ha! I just heard this report on the news!

37 jshshs January 12, 2011 at 9:45 am

Did you take a new job? Did I miss a post/announcement?

{ 1 trackback }