1.11.11

by Meghann on January 11, 2011

Happy 1.11.11 Everyone!

Aren’t numbered days fun?

You know what would have been more fun? If I would have ran 11 miles on 1.11.11. 🙂 But, waking up early enough to run 11 miles before work? Not so fun. Now, 4 miles before work? That’s fun! 😉

We’re suppose to have a cool down here soon, so this morning was my last morning of semi-decent temps to get a good run in. I ran 4 miles in my tank top and shorts and said a little prayer that the whole cool down forecast is a lie and the rest of this week will be just as comfortable. We’ll see…

In all irony that comes with winter – Yoplait’s New Smoothie Mixes were BOGO at Publix this week. (I’m a sucker for BOGO – Can you tell?)

IMG_4166

Actually I had some freebie coupons that MyBlogSpark had sent me MONTHS ago to sample and review the product with, but they had been collecting dust on my countertop for some reason. Since they were on sale this week I was able to use the two coupons + BOGO promotion to walk out of Publix with FOUR free bags. I guess it really does pay to hold onto free coupons some times?

IMG_4171

The directions seemed easy enough, but, honestly, I wasn’t the biggest fan of the ingredient list. Words like added fructose and ‘frozen yogurt pieces’ scare me when I know I can make my own smoothie using regular ole fruit with none of of that extra stuff.

Also, the label claims one package equals two servings with the addition of milk. Two servings? Who are they serving? My cousin’s 8 yr old? I used the whole package plus a little more milk than what was called for and barely had enough for a single serving for me.

IMG_4194

I bulked up those ‘two servings’ with a cup of Kashi Go Lean Crisp and a handful of Raisins.

IMG_4180

Yoplait Smoothie Likes:

• Easy. You just throw the pre-prepped package of fruit & yogurt in the blender, add milk, and go.
  • The smoothie was thick and frothy. I think it was the yogurt pieces?

Yoplait Smoothie Dislikes:

• Sugar overload! I like my smoothies to be light on the sugar and heavy on the tart and peanut butter. This smoothie was pure sugar. I can’t remember the last time I had a smoothie with sugar added to it and I think my taste buds are over sensitive to it now. (On the bright side – Derek would love how sweet it is!)
  • Ingredients, serving size, and price (would not have forked over the $$ with out the freebie coupons)

IMG_4190

Have you tried this Yoplait Smoothie Mixes? What were your thoughts?

CONGRATS!!!

One of my biggest blogging inspirations just gave birth to a healthy baby boy in the wee hours of this morning (and already blogged about it!)

Congrats Tina and Welcome to the World Baby B!!!

Man, I wish my birthday was 1.11.11! How cool would that be?!?!

1 jen @ taste life January 11, 2011 at 9:15 am

That would be neat to have 1-11-11 as a birthday! I have stayed away from those smoothie things, too, because I’d rather just make my own without all the added sugar!
jen @ taste life recently posted..One Sore Puppy

2 Kristy @ KristyRuns January 11, 2011 at 9:16 am

Yay, Tina!!! 🙂

I don’t think I’ll be buying that smoothie mix anytime soon. It’s not that difficult to throw in some frozen fruit + [almond] milk into a blender. I think the extra effort is worth not having the added sugar and other mystery ingredients. But if it’s a dessert you’re after, looks perfect! 🙂
Kristy @ KristyRuns recently posted..Blizzard of 2011

3 Emily January 11, 2011 at 9:19 am

I’m with you on the smoothie mix!
I bought some months ago when I was sick, hoping to boost myself out of a funk. What I got was a sugar headache! Should have spent the $$ on some fresh fruit and nut butter! 🙂
Emily recently posted..Making Goals – Scheduling

4 movesnmunchies January 11, 2011 at 9:20 am

hmm that mix sounds pretty cool.- except for the two servings thing… what is up with serving sizes these days??… rewind.. restaurant serving sizes is a whole dif issue
movesnmunchies recently posted..Not Just Another Resolutions Post

5 Allison @ PickyEatingRD January 11, 2011 at 9:20 am

I have a lot of clients that have tried that smoothie. I usually try to tell them it doesn’t take much extra time to just make your own. It tastes better and the ingredients are more fresh!

6 Ali @ Ali on the Run January 11, 2011 at 9:21 am

I am so jealous. I honestly don’t remember what it’s like running in anything other than long pants and 3 warm layers on top. Enjoy!
Ali @ Ali on the Run recently posted..To Become a Road Runner…

7 Stacy @ Every Little Thing January 11, 2011 at 9:23 am

Definitely don’t like the word fructose. I’ve been working to eat foods with 5 or less ingredients, so that wouldn’t make the cut! Though it’s nice and pink 🙂 hehe
Stacy @ Every Little Thing recently posted..Blackberry Oat Muffins

8 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday January 11, 2011 at 9:27 am

It’s your last week of work, you should sleep in, run 11 miles, and then come in whenever the hell you feel like it.

9 Courtney Smith January 11, 2011 at 9:31 am

I’ve tried the Yoplait smoothies and I’m not a fan. Way too sweet and almost chemical tasting.
Courtney Smith recently posted..Cold- cold go away

10 Caitlin T January 11, 2011 at 9:37 am

I’ve been drinking these smoothies for a while now. What I do for 1 serving is split all the goods inside in half and put the other half in a freezer bag and use 3/4 cup skim milk (or 1 cup if its still too thick). But it is def a full glass worth whenever I do it. Sometimes I toss in some fresh banana or coco powder too.
Caitlin T recently posted..BOO

11 Kelly January 11, 2011 at 9:39 am

Haha you’re so lucky it’s still tank top and shorts weather. This would be a cool birthday.
Kelly recently posted..Shop Till you Drop

12 Sherry S. January 11, 2011 at 9:39 am

I use fresh fruit, Stoneyfield yogurt, and almond silk. It makes for a great smooth and sweet smoothie without any added sugar. Also the greek yogurt works well and has lots of protein.

13 MaryBe@AccidentallyVegan January 11, 2011 at 9:43 am

What a great birthday!
I can’t believe how fast time is going by…only a few days left of your job. Are you getting butterflies yet?
MaryBe@AccidentallyVegan recently posted..Coming Out of the Pantry Or – How To Tell Your Family and Friends

14 Sarah (Sarah Learns) January 11, 2011 at 9:44 am

i’ve never tried the yoplait smoothies, but i don’t really think i’d want to. i know convenience is listed, but really, it’s not that much work to grab a handful of spinach, peel a banana, dump in protein powder, milk/yogurt/etc. and blend up! i think the “convenience” of these kind of products is less important than KNOWING exactly what’s in your smoothie! but i do have to agree with you – 4 of them for free is a GREAT deal! 🙂
Sarah (Sarah Learns) recently posted..thoughts on meditation

15 Hope January 11, 2011 at 9:44 am

That smoothie looks good! I’d rather make my own using fresh fruit too. Tank top and shorts?! It’s freezing here! 20 degrees this morning! That is an awesome birthday!
Hope recently posted..A Birthday Celebration &amp The Rest of The Weekend…

16 holly @ yepiatethat January 11, 2011 at 9:49 am

I’m glad I’m not the only one that thought those smoothies were 1 serving and not 2!
My grandmother’s b-day was 11-11-11 so cool!!
holly @ yepiatethat recently posted..plans

17 Emma (Sweet Tooth Runner) January 11, 2011 at 9:51 am

I can’t BELIEVE you ran in a tank top and shorts! I’m SO jealous!!

Yay congrats to Tina! That is a v cool birthday to have! 😀
Emma (Sweet Tooth Runner) recently posted..Chocolate covered day

18 Stephanie January 11, 2011 at 9:52 am

I had the exact same thoughts about the Yoplait smoothie mix. Waaaay too sweet when it came down to it.

19 Val @ Balancing Val January 11, 2011 at 10:01 am

I once was going to buy those smoothie packs . . .

Then I looked at the ingredients!

It seems like I can only find good coupons only for processed stuff.

I wish there was more coupons for whole foods . . . Not the store, just foods that are whole.
Val @ Balancing Val recently posted..Balancing Money–Pack Yo’ Snack!

20 Katie January 11, 2011 at 10:06 am

Looks good but big reason I never buy those ready to go smoothies is because of sugar overload in them!

How cool to be born on this day! Congrats to her!!!!!
Katie recently posted..Coconut Berry On my Oats

21 Carly (Swim, Run, Om) January 11, 2011 at 10:15 am

I love today … 11 is my luckiest number, so I expect today to be great! LOL

I have to say that I’ve been interested in trying those smoothies, but probably won’t now. I don’t like super sweet drinks/smoothies either, and until I can find “yogurt pieces” out in the wild, I probably won’t go for it. :-/
Carly (Swim, Run, Om) recently posted..I’m a veghead yogini

22 Cyndi @ Weightless Life January 11, 2011 at 10:18 am

I have a bag of those smoothie things sitting in my freezer, but I’ve been afraid to try them. They sound more like a dessert than a meal.

23 Matt @ The Kitchen of a Runner January 11, 2011 at 10:18 am

Remember that you can still run another 7 miles after work 😉

24 Kiran January 11, 2011 at 10:24 am

Baby B is such a cutie!

Speaking of smoothies. Nothing beats homemade eh? 😉
Kiran recently posted..Malaysian Street Food!

25 Haleigh January 11, 2011 at 10:30 am

Yoplait is always way too sweet for my taste, but it’s good every once in awhile 🙂 It’s going to be super cool when it’s 11-11-11!!
Haleigh recently posted..Slave to Sugar

26 Jeni @ stepping out January 11, 2011 at 10:38 am

I’m definitely with you on the smoothies. We got some free samples a while back so I broke them out on Saturday morning. I must have been in the mood for something sweet so I thought I liked it.
I saw them at Costco later and bought a package with the intention of bulking them up with protein powder for breakfast. I had one and then winter hit. The rest are still sitting in my freezer. I’m not sure if I’m going to finish them or not. (I hate throwing things out!)

27 Jen January 11, 2011 at 10:39 am

I’ve seen those Yoplait smoothie mixes in the grocery freezer many times, and each time I go for the plain old frozen fruit with no added sugar. I like my smoothies with forzen fruit (it’s hard to get fresh fruit when you live in the middle of nowhere) milk and fat free sherbert, yum!

28 Stephanie @ The Cookie Battle January 11, 2011 at 10:43 am

Bleh, I would rather make my own smoothie. I have tried these too and thought they were too sweet and the “serving” size is ridiculous. I have a huge 24 oz cup that I use for the ones I make myself.
Stephanie @ The Cookie Battle recently posted..Crinkle Cookies

29 Jenna @ Eating Green, Staying Lean January 11, 2011 at 10:46 am

I totally agree with you on the smoothies…I tried them a couple of months ago before realizing that I was wasting money on a packet of fruit with added ingredients that I didn’t need. It’s wayyyy cheaper (and tastier) to just buy frozen fruit in bulk and mix your own.
Jenna @ Eating Green, Staying Lean recently posted..Holy soreness- a slow start

30 Natalie @ Will Jog For Food January 11, 2011 at 10:54 am

LOVE buy 1 get 1 free… Publix has Crystal light bogo this week and I got some lemonade to mix with vodka…whoops I mean water 😉
Natalie @ Will Jog For Food recently posted..Weekend in O-Town

31 Katrina@Katrina Runs for Food January 11, 2011 at 10:59 am

When I first saw the picture, I had a sinking feeling. I had already explored the ingredient list a few weeks ago and promptly shoved it back in the freezer. Added sugar is a no-no for me so I didn’t even try it.

Your breakfast looks amazing, though. I love yogurt with anything crunchy and Kashi is good stuff.

32 Shanna, like Banana January 11, 2011 at 11:03 am

I don’t understand serving sizes sometimes..heck most of the time. I always want waaaay more than they are willing to offer me. Lame.
Shanna, like Banana recently posted..Transformation

33 Christin@purplebirdblog January 11, 2011 at 11:04 am

Today is also an awesome day because it’s my 3 year anniversary with my man! I sampled that Yoplait smoothie at Costco once, and yeah, holy sweet batman!!!
Christin@purplebirdblog recently posted..Wrap it up- Buttercup!

34 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat January 11, 2011 at 11:10 am

Those smoothies look delicious! I don’t think we have them here in Canada yet but I hope they’re on their way. Have a great 1/11/11 Meghann!
Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat recently posted..Lunch Prep Extravaganza

35 Kara January 11, 2011 at 11:47 am

I love sweet smoothies, so maybe I would like that? Who knows, it’s way too cold to have a smoothie!

Running 11 miles today would have been cool, I remember doing a 10 mile race on 10-10-10, that was fun!
Kara recently posted..Faiths favorite things-Part 1

36 Gabby (Quest for Delicious) January 11, 2011 at 12:01 pm

I’ve never tried any smoothie mix before. With something like that, I definitely feel homemade is that way to go. (:
Gabby (Quest for Delicious) recently posted..Breakfast

37 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) January 11, 2011 at 12:01 pm

That’s what I hate about prepackaged food- the serving size is always tiny!
Kate (What Kate is Cooking) recently posted..2010 Goals- A Look Back

38 Terrieha January 11, 2011 at 12:05 pm

I’ve tried the Yoplait mixes twice (both times adding spinach) and agree 100%….WAY too much sugar and am definitely not a fan of the ingredient list at all!! I am willing to spend the few extra minutes chopping my own fruit and creating a much healthier smoothie!

39 Rachel Sanchez January 11, 2011 at 12:09 pm

I was born on 06.06 and was teased all my life for being the devil. HA. I remember I celebrated my 26th birthday on 06.06.06 by watching my Yankees beat the Red Sox. Now that was a good birthday gift. ;o)

40 Allison January 11, 2011 at 12:10 pm

I have avoided those Yoplait kits for exactly the reasons you mentioned. I got excited when I first saw them, but did not like what I read on the ingredients list. Plus, it’s already very easy to throw a scoop of Greek yogurt, frozen strawberries, a banana, and some pineapple chunks into my Magic Bullet.

41 Krista January 11, 2011 at 12:17 pm

ha, I LOVE dates with patterns in them like that. I always notice even the most insignificant ones and all of my friends make fun of me.
Krista recently posted..Todays To-Dos

42 JessicaE January 11, 2011 at 12:17 pm

Hey, just wanted to share that i have read your blog for almost a year now and it is one of my favorites.

It’s also my birthday today 😀 I’m especially excited because eleven happens to be my lucky number 😀

43 ~Jessica~ January 11, 2011 at 12:18 pm

Serving sizes on commercial packaging are ridiculous anyway, from cereal to frozen meals. It’s because they want people to glance and the calorie content and think ‘ooh, that’s so low, I’ll buy it!’ without reading the ‘small print’ and realising that the number is low simply because the ‘serving’ size isn’t enough to feed a sedentary toddler.

Besides which, you’re far more active than your average person! That smoothie looks tiny to me even if you weren’t!
~Jessica~ recently posted..Race Recap Liverbird Marathon Double 3-35-41

44 Katy (The Singing Runner) January 11, 2011 at 12:29 pm

The smoothie looks good, but I would rather just use my own fruit!

I am so happy for Tina! I wish my birthday was 1.11.11…. so cool! 😀

45 Raya @ RayaRuns January 11, 2011 at 12:40 pm

I tried the smoothie things a while back and thought the same thing abotu the sugar-TOO SWEET!!!! Everything else was good though. 🙂
Raya @ RayaRuns recently posted..How YOU Doin’

46 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey January 11, 2011 at 12:49 pm

I have never tried those smoothies, but it sounds like I would like them. I don’t like overly sweet things at all!!!!
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..jessica’s natural granola giveaway

47 erica January 11, 2011 at 2:03 pm

i love yoplait smoothies! but i rarely use it to make a full smoothie. i’ll throw a little into my smoothie w/protien powder, or throw some in my oatmeal for its sweetness…i basically use it as a smoothie/oatmeal enhancer. 🙂
erica recently posted..it’s morphin’ time!

48 Maddie Essig January 11, 2011 at 2:14 pm

Funny you blogged about this today! My roommate made us smoothies using that the other night. She supplemented a lot of frozen fruit and greek yogurt so we didn’t use the whole serving, which is probably why I liked the taste of it more – it wasn’t too sweet.
BUT when we were shopping last night and I saw the ingredient list, I took it out of the cart and picked up some good ol’ frozen fruit instead. I was turned off by “fructose” and “preservatives.” No thanks!!
Maddie Essig recently posted..This and that

49 Kacy January 11, 2011 at 3:03 pm

I’ve wondered about those. Doesn’t sound like something I’ll be buying.
Kacy recently posted..Purse lockdown

50 Erin January 11, 2011 at 3:17 pm

My mom talked up those smoothie mixes but, like you, when I looked at the ingredient list I was turned off. I’d rather just make my own with fruit I froze myself!
Erin recently posted..Weekly Workout Wround Up

51 Tee January 11, 2011 at 5:13 pm

I picked one up once when they were on sale. Then I got home and looked at the ingredient list, and that this was supposed to be for two servings. It served as a good reminder that I should be more careful with impulse purchases. 🙂

52 Lacey @ Lake Life January 11, 2011 at 9:28 pm

I bet the non-couponers will love that you bought something you wouldn’t normally buy simply because you have the coupon 🙁
Lacey @ Lake Life recently posted..The Dehydration Station

53 Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun January 12, 2011 at 7:00 am

You make me blush. Big hugs!
Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun recently posted..I Had A Baby Last Night