Specialty Pies

by Meghann on January 10, 2011

When ever I order pizza at any restaurant my eyes are automatically drawn to the specialty pies on the menu.

AnthonysMenu

Plain cheese? Boring! One topping? How could I ever pick just one? Build your own? What my combination isn’t a good one?

specialty

I love to see what creative combinations that restaurant is known for.  Whether it be a mega veggie, a buffalo chicken, or something weird and exotic such as an egg topped pizza – I’m fair game to try anything. 🙂

Yesterday at Anthony’s Coal Fired Pizza was no different. The Eggplant Marino spoke to me from the specialty pies menu, so I decided to give it a shot.

AnthonysEggplantPizza

Oh la la la

Extra thinly sliced eggplant. Lots of delicious tomato sauce. The world’s most perfect thin crust. I was in love.

So in love, that I claimed any left overs for myself and was salivating at the mouth dreaming of them as my lunch for today.

IMG_4094

I reheated my two slices under the broiler then sprinkled the last of the fresh basil on top.

IMG_4101

As is true with all left over pizza – it was better today. The eggplant flavor really showed through and I appreciated the thin slices. It reminded me of eggplant parmesan on pizza. 🙂

IMG_4099

A true food photographer would have placed the side of snap peas on a separate plate to make it pretty. But, a real person just throws them on top to avoid an unnecessary dirty plate. 😉

IMG_4090

It’s a Girl!

Derek’s brother and his girlfriend are expecting their first child this summer and we just learned today that it’s a girl!!

(source)

Derek is going to have a niece!!! This is so exciting! I can’t wait to start buying up any pink I can get my hands on. 🙂

Congrats Tyler and Rachel!!

1 Hillary [Nutrition Nut on the Run] January 10, 2011 at 1:57 pm

Weddings…babies…exciting stuff for the Anderson fam! =]
Hillary [Nutrition Nut on the Run] recently posted..Rise ‘n’ Shine

2 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday January 10, 2011 at 1:59 pm

So true!

3 Sarah @ See Sarah Graduate January 10, 2011 at 1:57 pm

OMG, that pizza looks amazing. And I don’t even like pizza that much!
Sarah @ See Sarah Graduate recently posted..Snowed In… AGAIN

4 Stacy @ Every Little Thing January 10, 2011 at 1:58 pm

Oh man, there is way too much tomato sauce on that pizza! I might be the only American that doesn’t really dig pizza (I don’t like tomato sauce), but I like White Pizzas and the like!
Stacy @ Every Little Thing recently posted..Blackberry Oat Muffins

5 Hope January 10, 2011 at 2:00 pm

That pizza looks so yummy! I’ve had Anthony’s plain cheese pizza and I loved it. I am a big fan of eggplant so I bet I would love this pizza. I definitely need to go back to Anthonys. Maybe I can convince my boyfriend to go there this weekend. 🙂
Hope recently posted..A Birthday Celebration &amp The Rest of The Weekend…

6 Heather @ Side of Sneakers January 10, 2011 at 2:00 pm

Weddings AND babies? It’s a girl’s dream come true 😉
Heather @ Side of Sneakers recently posted..Carnivore Meets Herbivore

7 Amanda (Eating Up) January 10, 2011 at 2:02 pm

That pizza sounds scrumptious. Eggplant is normally something I’m drawn to on a menu!
Amanda (Eating Up) recently posted..Beer-Cheese Bread

8 Jennie @ Designed to be Fit January 10, 2011 at 2:06 pm

Oh man that looks amazing! I love pizza of all kinds, in fact today’s lunch was leftover Kashi roasted vegetable pizza! So delicious.

9 Kelly January 10, 2011 at 2:16 pm

Haha so many big events for your family and extended family these days. Love leftover pizza.
Kelly recently posted..Shop Till you Drop

10 Kara January 10, 2011 at 2:18 pm

Little girl clothes are the best 🙂 I never even buy clothes for myself anymore, why would I when baby clothes are just so much more fun?
Kara recently posted..Holy growth spurt!

11 Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine January 10, 2011 at 2:19 pm

Awwww so exciting!! Girl baby clothes are so much fun to buy 🙂
Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine recently posted..Hummus Yummus

12 Sarah (Sarah Learns) January 10, 2011 at 2:22 pm

that pizza looks delicious! this weekend i had two amazing pizzas! fetalicious: tomato sauce with spinach, red onion, tomatoes, mushrooms, and a feta blend. and border-to-border: hot & spicy sauce with a cheese blend, canadian bacon, diced tomatoes, pineapple, and jalapenos. yum.
Sarah (Sarah Learns) recently posted..thoughts on meditation

13 Eliza January 10, 2011 at 2:24 pm

I grew up in Australia and worked at a gourmet pizza place (where my primary job was to peel garlic for garlic butter), and our #1 seller was the vegetarian majestic.

From base to top, it had:
Tomato sauce
Minced garlic
Spinach
Sliced tomato
Onions, green peppers (capsicum), mushroom
Pineapple
Whole black olives
Mozzarella
Feta
and topped with sesame seeds.

I still crave it.

And on the subject of egg on pizza, we had one regular customer who ordered a prawn (shrimp) pizza with egg on top.

Funny. Fifteen years later and I still remember what that guy looks like.

14 megan @ blackberries for jam January 10, 2011 at 2:24 pm

I’m so happy I have leftover pizza awaiting me in the fridge for dinner tonight. Yum.
megan @ blackberries for jam recently posted..Things I Love- Rice!

15 jen @ taste life January 10, 2011 at 2:24 pm

What an awesome idea for a pizza topping! And congrats to Derek’s bro and gf!
jen @ taste life recently posted..One Sore Puppy

16 Angela January 10, 2011 at 2:25 pm

I HAVE TO, no I WILL recreate that pizza. yum yum yum! I will probably edit it to my tastes though, thicker crust!

Congrats to Derek’s bro and girlfriend!
Angela recently posted..COTM

17 Mimi January 10, 2011 at 2:27 pm

I’m all about making specialty pies at home… I’m just not a big fan of pizza from restaurants or shops.

P.S. I like the new title font!
Mimi recently posted..I’m doing this again

18 Sana January 10, 2011 at 2:33 pm

Sooo many exciting things going on with your family! Congrats!
Sana recently posted..Can I tell you a secret

19 Lew January 10, 2011 at 2:33 pm

This post makes me want mellow mushroom.
Lew recently posted..Good Eats

20 Christin@purplebirdblog January 10, 2011 at 2:36 pm

That is my kind of pizza right there! Love the tomato sauce shining through!
Christin@purplebirdblog recently posted..Wrap it up- Buttercup!

21 Stacey January 10, 2011 at 2:37 pm

It’s all going on at the moment – babies, weddings, new jobs, moving! Phew! You have succeeded in making me crave pizza, that looks delicious!
Stacey recently posted..Book Review- Leon Naturally Fast Food – Book 2

22 Natalie @ Will Jog For Food January 10, 2011 at 2:39 pm

I love Anthony’s Coal fired pizza! The Paul & Young Ron Pizza is very good too…and decadent 🙂
Natalie @ Will Jog For Food recently posted..Weekend in O-Town

23 Ashley January 10, 2011 at 2:40 pm

That pizza looks amazing!! I usually don’t eat pizza, but I could go for some Mellow Mushroom right now. And congrats to Dereks brother!!

24 Jess January 10, 2011 at 2:41 pm

That pizza looks so good. Now that’s all I’m going to be able to think about for the rest of the day.
Yeay, finding out the sex of the baby is so exciting. I get to find out in 5 weeks. I’m hoping for a girl too!
Jess recently posted..Mexico

25 Elizabeth@The Sweet Life January 10, 2011 at 2:41 pm

That pizza looks amazing, especially at this time of day!
Elizabeth@The Sweet Life recently posted..The Little Things

26 Shanna, like Banana January 10, 2011 at 2:42 pm

And I’m one of thoses that think a classic cheese pizza is pretty darn great!
Shanna, like Banana recently posted..Transformation

27 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) January 10, 2011 at 3:05 pm

My eyes went straight to the eggplant pizza too! Looks delicious 🙂
Kate (What Kate is Cooking) recently posted..2010 Goals- A Look Back

28 Amy January 10, 2011 at 3:13 pm

Whenever I go out for pizza I can’t resist the classic pepperoni and cheese. I can’t help it!
Amy recently posted..2011 reading list

29 Megan January 10, 2011 at 3:17 pm

Ohh that pizza looks delicious! I hate cheese but really want to love pizza so I would love that one!
Congrats to Derek’s brother and girlfriend! My husband and I just had a girl this past summer and she is AWESOME!

30 Tori @ FIToriBLOG.com January 10, 2011 at 3:26 pm

When are they due? We’re due June 27, 2011 w/ our first child…. A GIRL!!!
so you’ll have to tell me what you find for clothes and stuff for them!! 🙂
Tori @ FIToriBLOG.com recently posted..Project 52-1 “branching” out…plus some

31 Jessica @ Dishin' About Nutrition January 10, 2011 at 3:32 pm

That eggplant pizza looks amazing! I wonder what it be like to try to recreate it…. I haven’t had much luck cooking with eggplant.
Jessica @ Dishin’ About Nutrition recently posted..Best Workout Songs Ever!

32 Lisa (bakebikeblog) January 10, 2011 at 3:34 pm

Oh yummo!!! Love the way eggplant is used here 🙂
Lisa (bakebikeblog) recently posted..ACT Sprint Distance Triathlon – race recap

33 Jenna @ Eating Green, Staying Lean January 10, 2011 at 3:39 pm

I’m so jealous of that eggplant pizza! I already had lunch and it’s making me hungry :-p

Maybe I’ll have to get creative with my Trader Joe’s pizza crust this week!
Jenna @ Eating Green, Staying Lean recently posted..Holy soreness- a slow start

34 Matt @ The Kitchen of a Runner.com January 10, 2011 at 3:51 pm

I LOVE to order to house specials! That is the whole point of dining out right?

35 natalie (the sweets life) January 10, 2011 at 4:28 pm

I’m with you, I LOVE unique pizza combinations! When my husband and I were in San Diego we went to the greatest pizza place (called Zia’s-I wrote about it here: http://www.thesweetslife.com/2010/08/san-diego-eats.html). Our favorite pizza had eggplant on it, plus dried cranberries, a yogurt sauce, etc. It was out of this world! I still need to try and recreate!
natalie (the sweets life) recently posted..White Bean Roasted Red Pepper Dip

36 Lauren January 10, 2011 at 5:00 pm

That pizza looks delicious!

How exciting about the baby girl!

My two best friends have newborn baby girls and I am determined to buy them the most ridiculously trendy, girly outfits throughout their entire lives! There father will hate me 🙂
Lauren recently posted..California Burgers and Sweet Potato Chips

37 Ann January 10, 2011 at 5:26 pm

That pizza looks so good. I love leftover pizza! You’re so right about it being better the next day. Unfortunately the other members of my family know that secret too and the pizza usually disappears between bedtime and breakfast (Dad…).
Ann recently posted..A Trip to Costco

38 Biz January 10, 2011 at 5:37 pm

I love specialty pizzas too – my husband usually gets every meat on one pizza – its so gross but he loves it!

Congrats! There are so much more cuter stuff for girls now than there was when Hannah was little – my baby is going to be 19 in March – yikes! 😀
Biz recently posted..Announcing the 2011 Keep Your Resolution Giveaway!

39 Allie January 10, 2011 at 6:16 pm

Wow that pizza looks great 🙂 Like super, super yummy! I love thin crust pizza 🙂 Yum yum!! Congrats to Derek with his future niece, that is VERY exciting news!!!!
Allie recently posted..My life in 30 days- day 24

40 Allison @ PickyEatingRD January 10, 2011 at 6:55 pm

I have been in a pizza mode lately and have ordered all different types. I am usually a cheese person but it has been so much more fun to order a variety!

41 Gabby (Quest for Delicious) January 10, 2011 at 7:01 pm

I love thin crust! That eggplant pizza looks perfect.
Gabby (Quest for Delicious) recently posted..Breakfast

42 Katy (The Singing Runner) January 10, 2011 at 7:14 pm

Awwww how exciting! Congrats to them!!!

And that pizza looks AMAZING!

43 ezzie January 10, 2011 at 7:27 pm

That pizza looks SO GOOD. I usually stick with my pineapple, roasted veggies& and chicken topping, but panfried eggplant sounds pretty fantastic.
ezzie recently posted..We are the Champions who eat flourless cookies

44 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey January 10, 2011 at 8:35 pm

How exciting on the baby announcement! Congrats!
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..creamy tomato soup

45 Lauren @ Team Giles January 10, 2011 at 9:32 pm

I’ve been craving pizza lately. No clue why… and this totally looks divine!!!

Have fun buying PINK things, little girls are fun to buy for!
Lauren @ Team Giles recently posted..Sister Getaway

46 Maddie January 10, 2011 at 9:44 pm

Eggplant is the one and only veggie I don’t like. I don’t know what it is, but I can’t stomach it.

I love good pizza though. In Boston we have Upper Crust. It’s the best, most creative pizza there is. I could eat everyday.

47 Lacey @ Lake Life January 10, 2011 at 9:47 pm

I’m with ya on the saving of dishes philosophy!
Lacey @ Lake Life recently posted..The Dehydration Station

48 Liz @ IHeartVegetables January 10, 2011 at 9:59 pm

Oh man that pizza looks so tasty! Pizza is one of those foods I don’t think I could ever get sick of because there are SO many different combinations!

49 Kristen January 10, 2011 at 10:04 pm

In the town I went to college, there was a restaurant that made specialty pizzas – one being a Spam + Doritos pizza. My now hubs ordered it once, but they were out of Doritos! I can’t imagine that they served that so much they were out! If we ever go back, I will force him to order it just to see if it’s actually good! (I’m a vegetarian, so Spam is not an option!)
Kristen recently posted..major craving for custard

50 Charise January 11, 2011 at 9:53 am

I am with you on the specialty pizzas – if we’re ordering plain ol’ takeout/delivery, single topping is fine, but when eating out, ya gotta try what the place is known for.

This weekend, I had a specialty pizza with red sauce + mozz, plus sliced meatballs, dollops of ricotta, caramelized onions, basil, and a sprinkle of parm. It. was. awesome.

51 Jill August 3, 2011 at 8:39 am

Kristen,
Did you go to Truman State University? My daughter attended there and she took us to a place that had spam Doritos pizza. We ordered it and loved it! I don’t care for spam but it was good on the pizza. My husband liked it so much he makes it at home!
Jill