more ยป" />

Cheesy Butternut Squash & Quinoa Casserole

by Meghann on January 10, 2011

You’ll never believe what I have for you!

A new recipe! A real recipe! It has been far too long since I’ve shared anything new with your guys. Especially one that I can be proud of. ;)

Cheesy Butternut Squash & Quinoa Casserole

• 1 medium Butternut Squash
  • 1 cup cooked Quinoa
  • 1/4 Red Onion
  • 3 Garlic Cloves
  • 1 Apple Chicken Sausage (optional)
  • 1/2 cup Milk
  • 1/2 cup Plain Yogurt
  • 1 cup Shredded Cheese
  • 1 T Rosemary
  • 1 T Oregano
  • 1 T Worcestershire Sauce
  • Salt & Pepper
  • Cinnamon

Preheat the oven to 375.

Peel, hollow, and cut the butternut squash into small bite size pieces. Sprinkle with cinnamon, salt, and pepper and bake at 375 for 15 minutes.

In a casserole dish combine all of the ingredients above + the cooked butternut squash. Cover with foil and bake for 25 minutes. Remove foil and bake 10 more minutes.

I served mine atop a bed of greens.

I love casseroles, I’m not sure why I don’t make them more often. They’re easy to throw together, you pretty much bake them and forget them, and they always make enough to live off of for days. Really, they’re a win-win all around. :)

Amazing.

Earlier this afternoon I snacked on a Kashi Bar.

For dessert – a Chocolate Vitatop (still BOGO at Publix until Sunday!!) with a scoop of Egg Nog ice cream.

Question: What’s your favorite recipe as of late? Made anything extra tantalizing that you feel like sharing?

1 melissa January 10, 2011 at 10:05 pm

That looks amazing. I did a butternut squash penne with walnuts, sage and golden raisins that was pretty stellar.

2 Emily Jones October 17, 2012 at 9:00 pm

I’d love that recipe!!

3 Charlie January 10, 2011 at 10:07 pm

Yum! This casserole looks incredible! I made cannelloni this week and it was delicious :).

4 Sana January 10, 2011 at 10:07 pm

I love anything with cheese on it. Yum yum!

5 Heather @ Side of Sneakers January 10, 2011 at 10:08 pm

Mmmm eggnog ice cream?! The holiday ice cream flavors never made it to our store this year…I was really hoping for some peppermint!

6 Gabby (Quest for Delicious) January 10, 2011 at 10:09 pm

I’ve been looking for quinoa recipes! That casserole looks good.

I dig this recipe for chicken chili a lot:
Healthy, easy, and super good! (:

7 Sarah (Sarah Learns) January 10, 2011 at 10:09 pm

wow, that looks great! i haven’t done a lot of cooking. i did make a little farro, sun dried tomato, and balsamic side dish last week that was quite tasty! :)

8 Kristy @ KristyRuns January 10, 2011 at 10:10 pm

Looks delicious! Melissa’s recipe above sounds amazing, too!

I made some lentil-walnut burgers last week that were awesome. Easy/cheap/tasty —> a winning combo!

9 Deva (Voracious Vorilee) January 10, 2011 at 10:12 pm

I made an amazing coconut curry over the weekend that was sweet, tangy, spicy, and mild – and delicious. I couldn’t believe how light AND filling the dish was and was thrilled to have leftovers!

10 Jenna @Eating Green, Staying Lean January 10, 2011 at 10:12 pm

I <3 VitaTops! I had one for dessert today too, I wish they would go on sale more often…or maybe I can buy them in bulk, haha.

That meal looks awesome, I'll have to try it in my single serve casserole dish I bought the other day.

11 Christine January 11, 2011 at 7:08 am

Yeah I am thinking I need to scale this recipe down….what some love about casseroles (several meals already done) I don’t like. I can’t work through a big casserole by myself!

12 Jenna @Eating Green, Staying Lean January 11, 2011 at 7:20 am

Agreed, that’s why I bought this smaller casserole dish. Making a huge dish for one person often leads to me wasting food, which isn’t good…esp for my wallet :)

13 Stacy @ Every Little Thing January 10, 2011 at 10:15 pm

I made this hot-to-trot mac and cheese last week…O.M.G. We about died. It had just the tiniest spice in it and just so delicious.

Your casserole looks amazing!

14 Rachel January 10, 2011 at 10:15 pm

I love casseroles too! They are so easy to make and I always forget about them too. I recently made an awesome banana cream cheesecake!

15 Nicole January 10, 2011 at 10:17 pm

That looks amazing! I have to say, my favorite meal as of lately has definitely been quesadillas made with daiya cheese and avocado. Simple, fast and DELICIOUS!

16 Lacey @ Lake Life January 10, 2011 at 10:20 pm

I’ve been doing lots of experiments with my dehydrator lately but as for real recipes, I’m going to start looking into more recipes that you can get 3 or 4 different meals out of, kind of like Rachael Ray’s Week in a Day.

17 Brittaney@ the girl that can't cook January 10, 2011 at 10:21 pm

Nothing too tantalizing here. I made Southwest Potato and Corn Soup for dinner tonight that was pretty good. Your dinner looks fantastic! I’ve got to try it- something me and my husband would like!

18 Heather January 10, 2011 at 10:23 pm

That looks delicious and I have a butternut squash on my counter that needs to be eaten!

Thanks for sharing – I just need to dig up some quinoa…

19 Megan January 10, 2011 at 10:24 pm

I have a super easy recipe for potato soup on my blog. Great for chilly nights! Tomorrow I’m posting my favorite pumpkin recipe!

20 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) January 10, 2011 at 10:29 pm

The combo of the muffin and ice cream looks delicious! I need to recreate this ASAP :)

21 Michelle @ six-oh-one January 10, 2011 at 10:30 pm

Wow, that looks great! I was on a major squash kick this fall and I must have burned myself out on it because I haven’t had any in a while. However, this recipe has inspired me to pick up a b-nut on my next trip to the store!

My favorite recipes lately have been quick and dirty, a little bit of this and a little bit of that thrown into a pan. I just haven’t been feeling the planning-ahead business lately. Tonight I threw together some ground turkey, kale, green beans, tomato sauce, and balsamic vinegar in a skillet and topped with a bit of cheddar. It was super-delicious and ready in about 15 min!

22 Lauren @ Fun, Fit and Fabulous! January 10, 2011 at 10:38 pm

That looks amazing!! I grabbed a butternut squash at the store on Sunday and used it in my chili and my pasta! I’m now officially obsessed, so I can’t wait to try out your recipe!!

23 Gavi @ GaviGetsGoing! January 10, 2011 at 10:39 pm

I can’t wait to try Ashley’s (Edible Perspective) Black Eyed Peas, Collared Greens, and Tomato Soup (http://edibleperspective.com/2011/01/soup-success/). It looks amazing!

24 Heather Woody January 10, 2011 at 10:41 pm

That looks awesome…I am really needing some yummy recipes that my husband will enjoy that are low-fat (he needs a bit of a calorie reduction). I have lost 160 pounds and I am trying to keep it off. I am going to try this and see what he thinks…Thanks Megan!

25 Emily G. January 11, 2011 at 8:30 am

Woohoo!! Congrats girl! :) That’s amazing!

26 Christine January 10, 2011 at 10:46 pm

I can only make casseroles if I don’t call them that; my husband has traumatic casserole memories from childhood :)

Recently I made the Chocolate Chip Dough Balls that everyone raved about during the holidays, and also potato risotto (nowhere near healthy, but insanely good) http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Beef-Tenderloin-Medallions-with-Potato-Risotto-357259

27 Katy (The Singing Runner) January 10, 2011 at 10:54 pm

Looks amazing! I’ll have to try it minus the chicken sausage! I love butternut squash! :D

28 Ash Bear January 10, 2011 at 10:57 pm

Great recipe! I’ll have to try it soon as I need a recipe that will work, unlike tonight’s recipe.

29 Stephanie @cookinfanatic January 10, 2011 at 10:58 pm

Homemade tamales w/ roasted poblanos & cheese. Amazing.

30 Laura @ Backstage Pass January 10, 2011 at 11:04 pm

Oh, yummy… this casserole looks delicious! Warm and comforting and cheesy, yet healthy and full of superfoods. That’s my kind of recipe! I will have to try this out soon :-)

31 Chelsey (Cookteen) January 10, 2011 at 11:08 pm

I made a Hot Pretzal Challah–MY FIRST YEAST BREAD!! I can’t wait to get the post up, it was one of the best (none sweets) I have ever eaten.

32 Amy @ What Jew Wanna Eat January 10, 2011 at 11:20 pm

Mmm cheese….quinoa….sausage…I need to make this!

33 Becky January 10, 2011 at 11:49 pm

I actually made this almost exact recipe last week and we LOVED it! I didn’t add cinnamon, but I did add an egg and mashed the squash (after baking). It tasted like Quiche and we couldn’t get enough of it!!!! I love casseroles they are so warm in your belly when it’s cold outside!!!!!

34 Christin@purplebirdblog January 11, 2011 at 12:06 am

I made some Mexican spiced kale chips that are currently rocking my socks!

35 ezzie January 11, 2011 at 12:32 am

I made some vegetarian chili for the first time ever and they turned out great! My parents and little brothers ate it all up in a flash and I just made some more to pack to school for lunch :)

36 Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) January 11, 2011 at 1:33 am

I am proud of the Microwave Banana Oat cake I made and blogged about yesterday. Vegan, GF, ready in 3 mins, no protein powders, not fake strange ingredients. It’s kid friendly and portable. Sorry to sound like an informercial. LOL

Your casserole looks awesome!!!!

37 Emma (Sweet Tooth Runner) January 11, 2011 at 3:55 am

That looks delicious! I might try making that with vegan cheese+milk+yoghurt! So yummy! :)

I made Pumpkin Spelt Pancakes recently which were AMAZING if I say so myself! :P

38 Kara January 11, 2011 at 7:34 am

My favorite recipe as of late? Does the phone number for Papa John’s pizza count? ;) No, I cook, but nothing noteworthy!

39 Erica January 11, 2011 at 7:54 am

That looks awesome Meghann! And I love that you put it on top of a bed of greens. Perfect dinner. I purchased the bogo vitas this week too ;)

40 Hope January 11, 2011 at 8:17 am

This casserole looks so delicious! I love butternut squash and quinoa. I definitely need to make this sometime! I love casseroles. You have leftovers for so many days after. My favorite thing I’ve made in the past few weeks has been my eggplant parm. I love it.

41 Matt @ The Kitchen of a Runner January 11, 2011 at 8:18 am

I just made avocado hummus…. Mmmm…

Post is going up in a few minutes ;)

42 Kim @ girlevolving January 11, 2011 at 8:20 am

I made a green soup last night that came out awesome – broccoli, red pepper, and kale. http://girlevolving.com/2011/01/11/my-favorite-surprise/

43 Jennie @ Designed to be Fit January 11, 2011 at 8:35 am

I’ve seen so many vitatops in the blog world lately! I’ll have to try them out now. :) Thanks for the awesome recipe!

44 Allie January 11, 2011 at 8:35 am

Yay for casseroles! They are super easy and always delicious :) I would like to try your recipe some time soon :) As of late, my favorite recipe is butter nut squash soup or split pea soup :D

45 Michele @ Healthy Cultivations January 11, 2011 at 8:35 am

This recipe looks fantastic! I’m all about the one-pot dishes and casseroles. I recently made a healthy makeover of tuna casserole that turned out pretty good.

46 amanda January 11, 2011 at 8:41 am

it’s tough to meet a casserole i don’t like. that sounds awesome. and looks so tasty.

it’s not a recipe-but i’ve been on a major omelet kick. adding all different sorts of veggies, cheese and whatever my taste buds are feeling.

47 Elizabeth@The Sweet Life January 11, 2011 at 8:43 am

That looks so, so delicious! I made a butternut squash bread puddng for Thanksgiving and it was a big hit. Great cozy meal!

48 Lauren @ Running Examiner January 11, 2011 at 8:49 am

What a great idea — thank you for the recipe! I can’t wait to make it.

I recently made rib roast with herb emulsion (my boyfriend’s mother has a fabulous recipe) and was very pleased with the outcome!

49 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey January 11, 2011 at 9:19 am

This looks SO good! I’m going to be on a mission to veganize it for myself – Thanks Meghann!

50 Kelly January 11, 2011 at 9:23 am

Shepherds pie with a topping of mashed sweet potato instead of regular mashed potatoes.

51 Juli D. January 11, 2011 at 9:23 am
52 Beth @ Will Run for Books January 11, 2011 at 10:39 am

oooh this recipe makes me wish quinoa didn’t make my stomach feel like it is on fire … :(

53 Holly January 11, 2011 at 11:28 am

I had a busy kitchen weekend myself, but I think my favorites were the taco soup and GF french bread (which I made into french toast on Sunday morning).

Can’t wait to make your casserole–I’m seriously drooling all over my keyboard @ work.

54 Kacy January 11, 2011 at 12:03 pm

YUM! Looks fantastic!

55 Bridget January 11, 2011 at 12:22 pm

This looks GREAT Meghann!! I love caseroles too…something just so comforting aboutt them and all the flavors combined :) Plus leftovers! Hmm, actually last night I made chicken enhiladas (from eat live run’s mom’s recipe)…added black beans and a little sour cream…SO GOOD!

56 Beth @ DiningAndDishing January 11, 2011 at 12:54 pm

I made Nigella Lawson’s granoloa this past weekend. I LOVED it!! She is my favorite chef and that is now officially my favorite granola :).

57 Clare @ Fitting It All In January 11, 2011 at 2:16 pm

I’m obsessed with chilis and stews lately – warm veggie filled bowls of goodness. I love the Sick Day Succotash I created this weekend!

58 kathleen January 11, 2011 at 4:59 pm

i’ve been dyimg for squash lately but i haven’t seen it at the two grocery stores i’ve been to. so sad.

59 Allie January 11, 2011 at 7:01 pm

This sounds like something I would love. I am marking this recipe down. I’ve been holding on to a big of quinoa that needs to be used for too long!

60 Michelle @ Living Learning Earning January 11, 2011 at 8:53 pm

Yum! I’ll have to try this recipe… just bought some quinoa AND butternut squash, so maybe it was meant to be :)

I wish we had Publix here so I could get some Vitatops on sale… lucky!

61 Lorin January 12, 2011 at 1:58 am

I really like Oh She Glows peanut butter and jelly banana breakfast pizza. So addicting and delicious. Plus peanut butter is my favorite food, so I’m sure that’s why as well.

62 Carrie January 18, 2011 at 1:21 pm

Hi Meghann.

I have been reading your site for almost a week and have been finding myself spendign longer and longer on here each time I visit to read older posts. I cannot get enough of your blog. It looks like you have a beautiful life and I am praying for you as your embark on the next step of you journey.

I wanted to post to say that I tried out this Butternut squash and quinoa casserole last night and I just finished having some leftovers for lunch today. SO GREAT.

I love recipes… can you share more.

~ From a new found lover of your website
~ Carrie

63 Lauren (Neeps and Taters) February 15, 2011 at 1:54 pm

Oh my goodness, that casserole looks TO DIE FOR.
I can definitely see that being made in my future!

-Lauren