Vixen Fitness: Intro to Pole

by Meghann on January 8, 2011

Oh Boy. What did I get myself into today?

IMAG0432.jpg

Yes, that’s a pole and Yes, today I decided to shake what my mama gave me on it.. err.. tried to shake what my mama gave me.

And you know what? I had a blast! πŸ˜‰

It all started with a Groupon.

After featuring this Groupon on the blog on Monday reader Carolina e-mailed and inspired me to go ahead and purchase it. I mean, how can I pass up a great deal on ‘Flirty Female-Fitness Classes’?

One condition though – she had to go with me.

IMAG0442.jpg

Everyone say HI Carolina! πŸ™‚

We both signed up for the 1:30 Intro to Pole Class for today and met for lunch at Press 101 before hand.

I ordered the Mango Chicken Panini (I’ve had it before and knew it was delicious).

And had a side salad on the side. Press 101 now gives you the option to choose your own side (salad, pasta, or fries) I thought that was fun.

One of the very first things that impressed me about Vixen Fitness was the ability to sign up for any of their classes online up to a month before hand.

Screen shot 2011-01-08 at 4.26.27 PM.png

I loved it because I didn’t have to worry about the class filling up before I arrived and it kept me motivated to actually attend since a spot was already reserved with my name on it.

Screen shot 2011-01-08 at 4.29.21 PM.png

Walking in and seeing all the poles was really intimidating at first. I started questioning this decision and fearing that everyone would be way more advance than I with the pole.

IMAG0433.jpg

But, as soon as our instructor walked in I instantly felt at ease.

Come to find out everyone in that class was just as nervous and inexperienced as I was and she knew it. She immediately got us out of our shells by turning the music on high and getting straight to it. No need to ease into anything, to conquer our fears all we need to do is dive right in.

The class was a blast. We learned a lot of basic spins and turns, but we also learned how to own our sexiness. It was a lot of ‘girl power’, ‘we are women hear us roar’, and ‘shake that money maker’. After each move our instructor wouldn’t ask us how we were doing instead she would proudly declare “Do we feel sexy now ladies?” And you know what? I did.

I wasn’t perfect in anyway. I have no grace or the ability to seriously shake my ‘money maker,’ but there was something about walking and spinning around the pole that instantly made me feel sexy. I loved it.

IMAG0435.jpg

It was also a killer work out.

Mad respect to all strippers out there – pole dancing is hard! My arms were killing me towards the end and I was starting to feel pretty dizzy. If I want to continue pole dancing I need to seriously work on my upper body strength. Seriously.

If you’re in the Orlando area I highly suggest you check Vixen Fitness out! They just moved to a new location off Turkey Lake Road and are having a Grand Opening party this coming Friday from 6:30 to 9:30. They’re offering free samples of all of their classes and free wine! Sounds like a party to me!

If anyone in the Orlando area is interested in doing a meet up at the party – shoot me an e-mail at [email protected] πŸ™‚

Alright, time to ice my arms. I have a feeling they are going to be a little sore in the morning.

1 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) January 8, 2011 at 4:54 pm

That would be a serious workout! Props for trying it. I think I’m too shy to ever do it, but who knows?
Kate (What Kate is Cooking) recently posted..2010 Goals- A Look Back

2 Evan Thomas January 8, 2011 at 4:54 pm

Hahaha, that’s some serious cross training.
In the dorm building next to mine, they’ve started a pole dancing club. They call themselves The Poler Bears. From what I can tell, it’s quite a workout.

3 Rachel Wilkerson January 8, 2011 at 4:56 pm

Ahhh, fun! My old Crunch gym had pole dancing classes and I was always way too chicken to do it, but it looked amazing…so sexy and like a great workout!
Rachel Wilkerson recently posted..Lesson 63- On Job Searching

4 melissa January 8, 2011 at 4:56 pm

I took one pole class, it was pretty fun! I love studios that have the online registration, it’s great to be commited to a class!
melissa recently posted..Wine Country!

5 Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine January 8, 2011 at 4:57 pm

Hahahaha I LOVE it!! I’ve always been interested in classes like that but never had the moxie to go. Sounds so fun!
Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine recently posted..Hummus Yummus

6 Rachel January 8, 2011 at 4:58 pm

Hahaha I LOVE that you did this! I always get emails from a local place near me and I have always been to chicken to try. I think I’ll go! You inspired me!
Rachel recently posted..Banana Cream Cheesecake and Mini Gluten Free Cupcakes- Oh My!

7 Carly January 8, 2011 at 5:07 pm

That looks like so much fun! I want to try that so badly. I’m glad you had fun! So cool.
Carly recently posted..A Themed Year

8 Sarah @ See Sarah Graduate January 8, 2011 at 5:08 pm

So cool! They definitely don’t have any classes like that around here though! :/ I can only imagine the workout you got from it though!
Sarah @ See Sarah Graduate recently posted..Snowed In… AGAIN

9 Sana January 8, 2011 at 5:13 pm

I once took a chair dancing class, and man is spreading your legs open hard work!
Sana recently posted..Can I tell you a secret

10 Kjirsten- Balanced Healthy Life January 8, 2011 at 5:16 pm

Looks like a fun class, and I’m happy you enjoyed it! I think I would have been nervous too, they don’t have any classes like that where I live, but I would love to try one out!
Kjirsten- Balanced Healthy Life recently posted..Tag Questions Answered

11 Michele @ Healthy Cultivations January 8, 2011 at 5:17 pm

That sounds like so much fun. Glad you had a blast, and thanks for sharing
Michele @ Healthy Cultivations recently posted..Fudgy Oats &amp Letting Our Lights Shine

12 michelle January 8, 2011 at 5:18 pm

I bet your arms will be really sore tomorrow. That looks like a tough workout!
michelle recently posted..12 mile long run

13 Laura @ Backstage Pass January 8, 2011 at 5:29 pm

Oh my gosh, how fun! Work it, Meghann! πŸ™‚

14 Jenna @Eating Green, Staying Lean January 8, 2011 at 5:32 pm

That’s too funny! I just moved to the DC area and have been trying to find a gym that I love in the area. So, go figure when I google mapped surrounding gyms near my apartment a pole dancing gym was the closest to my place!

I’ve been skeptical thus far, but after seeing this post I might have to convince a friend to join me and try the place out. Too funny, glad you had fun!
Jenna @Eating Green, Staying Lean recently posted..β€œI’ll start on Monday”

15 Kara January 8, 2011 at 5:35 pm

That looks so fun! I would love to take a class like that if it was offered near me. Have you ever seen the youtube footage of the stripper competitions? Those girls aren’t messing around!
Kara recently posted..18 Month Clothing!

16 Caitlin January 8, 2011 at 5:36 pm

mad props to the strippers! lol
Caitlin recently posted..What A Girl Needs

17 Meghann January 8, 2011 at 5:39 pm

word

18 Maryann January 8, 2011 at 5:38 pm

Fun+ a great workout is a winner in my book! I want to try a class like that!
Maryann recently posted..The Grass is Greener

19 Kailey @ Caffinated Nut January 8, 2011 at 5:53 pm

that actually seems like a fun way to workout! glad you had fun πŸ™‚
Kailey @ Caffinated Nut recently posted..Simplicity

20 Ashley January 8, 2011 at 5:55 pm

Oh my, that class looks like so much fun. I had a friend that was a stripper for a while and she go so toned!
Ashley recently posted..I Got It

21 ~Jessica~ January 8, 2011 at 5:59 pm

Sexiness is subjective anyway: with classes like that, the people that throw themselves into it with abandon and don’t faff about worrying how they look are the ones that always get the most out of it as a workout and in general.

Worrying about looking silly brings out inhibitions, and you can’t half-attempt a pole dancing class without appearing silly, so it’s a self-fulfilling prophecy really.

And, co-ordinated or not, you’re gorgeous anyway. Great that the class helped with your confidence.
~Jessica~ recently posted..Eat- Eat- Repeat

22 Matt @ The Kitchen of a Runner January 8, 2011 at 6:08 pm

AWESOME πŸ˜‰

23 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey January 8, 2011 at 6:12 pm

That. Is. Awesome. I’m pretty sure I would never have the courage to do that myself, but mad props to you for trying it!
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..creamy tomato soup

24 Amanda (Eating Up) January 8, 2011 at 6:38 pm

Mango chicken sounds like a sweet combination. And I love unique forms of exercise!
Amanda (Eating Up) recently posted..Beer-Cheese Bread

25 Alayna @ Thyme Bombe January 8, 2011 at 6:46 pm

Cool, I’ve always wanted to take those classes!
Alayna @ Thyme Bombe recently posted..A tale of two quinoa

26 Kathleen January 8, 2011 at 7:04 pm

Now that sounds like a blast!

27 Ali January 8, 2011 at 7:31 pm

What a fun workout! I have heard a lot of people say it is much harder than they expected. Definitely something I’d enjoy doing, as long as a few friends were there as well. πŸ™‚
Ali recently posted..fun facts about me- part 1

28 Allison @ PickyEatingRD January 8, 2011 at 7:45 pm

Haha how fun!!! They have flirty girl fitness all over Chicago I will have to ty it out sometime!! Let us know if you are sore tomorrow!!
Allison @ PickyEatingRD recently posted..Surprise Surprise

29 D January 8, 2011 at 7:53 pm

How fun! I love that you did this. You’re gorgeous anyway, but it’s great to see a real girl’s girl doing something fun and different! I always read your blog for running inspiration, but you’re really just awesome fitness inspiration in general.

30 [email protected] Sweet Life January 8, 2011 at 8:05 pm

Good for you for trying it! I did it in NYC and had a similar experience–was really nervous, but then ended up enjoying it and finding myself surprised at how difficult it was! A career change in your future, perhaps? πŸ™‚

31 Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) January 8, 2011 at 8:45 pm

Way to dive in and go for it! Glad you had a blast…and got a killer workout in, too!

πŸ™‚
Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) recently posted..Organizing- De-Cluttering- Donating

32 Lauren @ Fun, Fit and Fabulous! January 8, 2011 at 9:32 pm

I’ve always wanted to take one of those classes!!! It Looks sooo fun!!
Lauren @ Fun, Fit and Fabulous! recently posted..Weekend Fun!

33 Alyssa January 8, 2011 at 9:39 pm

Dude that is kick ass! I would love to do that! :p

34 Ashlee (Ash & Lew Plus 2) January 8, 2011 at 9:51 pm

Glad you had fun! I did an awfully boring workout in my living room this morning. It looks like yours was a much better time than mine was!
Ashlee (Ash & Lew Plus 2) recently posted..Week 1 of 6 Down

35 Katie January 8, 2011 at 9:57 pm

So awesome! I have always wanted to take a pole dancing class, I have heard its an amazing workout ! Glad to see it was and it was fun!

Happy Saturday girl! xoxo
Katie recently posted..Pita Pizza makes Happy

36 VeggieGirl January 8, 2011 at 9:59 pm

OOOOH I wish that place was here!

37 Kiran January 8, 2011 at 10:09 pm

Great that you had loads of fun. I had similar apprehensions when I attended the studio K burlesque event, but it turned out awesome πŸ™‚ get your sexy on!
Kiran recently posted..Malaysian Street Food!

38 [email protected] January 8, 2011 at 10:11 pm

Ha, I bet they’re a “sister” of Flirty Girl Fitness in Chicago! I tried a pole dancing class there a couple weeks ago and you’re right – it is HARD work! And dizzying…I can barely handle a carousel so I was about to fall over lol. A good chance to have fun and laugh at yourself though.
[email protected] recently posted..A few good reads

39 Allie @ The Constant Pursuit January 8, 2011 at 10:28 pm

Ahhh we did a class like that for my friend as a pre-bachelorette party celebration. We all had so much fun and were SO sore. I remember trying to run a half marathon a couple days later… ouch!
Allie @ The Constant Pursuit recently posted..Quit snacking around

40 [email protected] January 8, 2011 at 11:01 pm

Interesting to hear a first-hand testimony about a pole dancing class! I don’t know if I’d be brave enough to go to one. I also feel kind of uncomfortable making light of something that oftentimes is degrading to women. But I respect you for trying it πŸ™‚

41 Arlene @ Adventures in Weight Loss January 9, 2011 at 1:18 am

I’ve taken strip aerobics clases before, and it’s one of the most fun workouts I’ve ever done. I’d love to take a pole class … but I don’t think they offer such in little old Flagstaff, AZ.
Arlene @ Adventures in Weight Loss recently posted..Clean desk

42 Anne Marie January 9, 2011 at 8:42 am

Good for you!! I don’t think I would ever have the courage to take one of these classes, although I see coupons/groupons for them all the time. What did Derek think?? πŸ˜‰
Anne Marie recently posted..Photo 8

43 Carolina January 9, 2011 at 9:59 am

I’m so glad we went! Excited to check out other classes, we’re going to squeeze everything we can out of our groupon πŸ™‚
Carolina recently posted..Peas Heart- Vixen

44 Suzanne January 9, 2011 at 10:09 am

Good for you! A pole dancing class is totally on my bucket list. Sounds like a great time. Even better with a partner in crime.
Suzanne recently posted..Starting 2011 Off On The Right Foot–A Giveaway

45 Jan Lazarus January 9, 2011 at 10:30 am

Let me say that I saw Meghann and Carolina pole dancing yesterday and they did a fantastic job!! I can tell you that it is lots of fun and a great workout…but it’s also harder than it looks!
Meghann, I loved reading your blog! I just read your story and was really impressed.
I enjoyed meeting you and Carolina and I’ll will be talking to you soon!

46 Carolina January 9, 2011 at 11:29 am

It was great meeting you Jan! We will definitely be back; thanks for making us feel so welcomed. Everyone in Orlando needs to go to Vixen! πŸ™‚
Carolina recently posted..Peas Heart- Vixen

47 Erika January 9, 2011 at 12:18 pm

LOL! I was hooked into pole fitness last summer.. and fell so deeply in love with it that I wound up buying my own pole! LOL! So I get private lessons regularly, practice on my own pole after the family is resting, and my body thanks me for it! The amount of muscle that I’ve seen developing in my body from my new ability to lift and throw myself around, LOL… let’s just say that it’s an all-around win for any woman who gives it her all, LOL!
Erika recently posted..Weekend WTF- Weapons of Mass Marketing Deception

48 Dani @ Princess of Queens January 9, 2011 at 12:32 pm

By class 4 I expect some kind of heels lol! YOu are very brave!
Dani @ Princess of Queens recently posted..P90X Day 1…89 days to go!

49 KC January 9, 2011 at 1:48 pm

Hi Ladies,

It was soo nice meeting you yesterday. Your Blog is great! First I’m so proud that you both toke the first step and that was coming in hah, that is always the hardest, so Thank You for trying something new. You both did a great job and had a smile the whole time. It’s not about what you look like, it’s about how you feel, we want everyone who comes to Vixen’s to feel good and a have a great time. I hope to see you both again.

50 Sarah (Sarah Learns) January 9, 2011 at 3:00 pm

what an awesome and fun way to change up your workouts! and way to go on getting out of your comfort zone.
Sarah (Sarah Learns) recently posted..thoughts on meditation

51 Katie January 9, 2011 at 3:58 pm

Love the photos! Looks like you guys had a lot of fun!

52 Laura January 9, 2011 at 8:12 pm

Ha! That looks like fun! I’d totally suck at it but it’d be fun none the less
Laura recently posted..Panera Bread Fuji Apple Salad

53 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday January 9, 2011 at 9:33 pm

I think doing this would make me feel really awkward and uncomfortable.

54 [email protected] Thighs & Sweet Potato Fries January 10, 2011 at 6:42 pm

I have a Groupon for a Pole Fitness class in my city that I have yet to redeem. After reading this, I’m ready to give it a go! Really loving your blog. I feel like we have a lot in common! πŸ™‚
[email protected] Thighs & Sweet Potato Fries recently posted..Let Them Eat Pancakes

55 Charise January 11, 2011 at 10:03 am

A group of friends and I did a girls’ night where we had a private intro to pole and lap dancing class at a place like this. It was hilarious (especially as we were allowed to drink wine throughout), and man, my arms and obliques were super sore the next day!
Charise recently posted..Healthy New Year!

56 Kath April 29, 2011 at 6:51 am

I took a pole dancing class for a bachelorette party…good times!
Kath recently posted..Warrior Dash!