An Old Favorite

by Meghann on January 8, 2011

Maddie and I are crazy night animals.

Can’t you tell?

Oh, yeah we totally bummed it today. We watched movies, I did work, and Maddie snoozed by my side. I <3 her!

I also hit up Publix for next week’s haul of groceries and picked up the fixins for dinner tonight.

My roommate and I used to make stuffed chicken in college all the time. We would buy chicken breasts, open a bottle of wine, and discuss our life stories while stuffing the breasts with what ever tickled our fancy that evening.

Tonight I didn’t have a bottle of wine or a roommate to share my life story with (though Maddie tried her hardest to listen as I attempted to ramble on), but I did have chicken… and blue cheese… and spinach and tomato and a delicious balsamic vinegar.

I sliced the chicken breast down the middle just as we used to and in a separate bowl I mixed a generous hunk of crumbled blue cheese, chopped spinach, chopped tomato, and the balsamic vinegar. The mix was placed in the middle of the butterflied chicken and then folded over and baked at 375 for 35 minutes.

Just as good as I remembered. πŸ™‚

We used to pair the chicken with a side salad, but this evening I decided on some steamed broccoli and carrots instead.

As well as a piece of Whole Foods’ Cornbread for a special treat.

For dessert I went with another college tradition – ice cream and cookies in front of a movie.

Movie of choice? Craigslist Killer. My thoughts? ehhh…. it was ok. Honestly I thought the movie toned down what the guy did – the way the media had reported on it I always assumed it was multiple killings over a long period of time. From the movie it didn’t appear as if he was very stealth about hiding what his crimes.

Alright, time for sleep.

Good night! πŸ™‚

1 MegaNerd January 8, 2011 at 11:27 pm

ice cream + cookies = amazing! i want some now.

call me to make sure i wake up for our run πŸ™‚ I’m setting my alarm for 6:30!
MegaNerd recently posted..Run Like the Wind

2 Valerie from Love and Running January 8, 2011 at 11:28 pm

your puppy is so cute πŸ™‚

I love your blog πŸ™‚

I absolutely love corn bread!!!! Your dinner looks so delicious
Valerie from Love and Running recently posted..So in love

3 Kristy @ KristyRuns January 8, 2011 at 11:29 pm

Great night in. Sometimes, those types of nights are necessary! Could Maddie be any cuter? …I don’t think so. πŸ™‚
Kristy @ KristyRuns recently posted..1-1-11

4 Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun January 8, 2011 at 11:32 pm

I have yet to see that movie but it does intrigue me. Oh, Lifetime movies!

And your dinner sounds fabulous. I love blue cheese.
Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun recently posted..The Last Day

5 Michelle January 8, 2011 at 11:33 pm

I’m about to watch that movie in half an hour!

6 Brittany January 8, 2011 at 11:45 pm

I just got done watching the craiglist killer! I agree it toned down what he really did. I just feel so sad for all those girls and his fiance now. I need to watch something happy before bed now.

7 Meghann January 9, 2011 at 7:09 am

I feel bad for the fiance too. I guess she was ripped apart in the media for standing by his side, but she was just a young girl who thought she was marrying the man of her dreams. The movie does a great job of making her look like the victim (which after reading more on the cases last night, I totally believe she was)

8 Amy January 8, 2011 at 11:45 pm

I am so sorry BUT I just LOL’d because the first two pictures of your chicken have a resemblance of ahhhh the male “private” part if you will …
Again so sorry but had to comment! Hahahaha!
I digress. Regardless of that fact, your dinner looks amazing!

9 Christine January 9, 2011 at 7:11 am

Ahhh hahaha I noticed that too but didn’t want to say anything.

10 E January 8, 2011 at 11:53 pm

This looks SO delicious! I am definitely going to back this, this week. πŸ™‚
E recently posted..i started this blog to help myself Β to save myself- really never did i think it would grow to what

11 Sana January 9, 2011 at 12:27 am

I missed the CLK movie again! I kinda want to see it, just to hear what everyone is talking about!
Sana recently posted..Can I tell you a secret

12 Christin@purplebirdblog January 9, 2011 at 12:31 am

I love that Maddie face is all brown save for that one spot… too cute!
Christin@purplebirdblog recently posted..FF- 3 years

13 Christin@purplebirdblog January 9, 2011 at 12:36 am

Maddie’S face. It’s late πŸ™‚
Christin@purplebirdblog recently posted..FF- 3 years

14 Diana January 9, 2011 at 12:45 am

Actually, the movie way turned UP what he did, at least what I can tell from the previews. He only killed one person.

Hello, by the way! I’m a long time reader but this is my first time commenting. Love your blog!

15 Meghann January 9, 2011 at 7:06 am

In the movie he only killed one person too. To be honest I didn’t really follow the case back in the day. I just assumed that since it had made nationwide headline news that he had killed multiple people in a violent killing spree. But, I guess he hadn’t?

16 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) January 9, 2011 at 12:52 am

I made a similar dish for my parents once and they loved it! I wish I could stuff tofu… or could I? πŸ™‚
Kate (What Kate is Cooking) recently posted..2010 Goals- A Look Back

17 Amanda (Eating Up) January 9, 2011 at 1:34 am

That movie sounds scary! But apparently it wasn’t? I hate when it’s actually based on real life sometimes!
Amanda (Eating Up) recently posted..Beer-Cheese Bread

18 Ashley January 9, 2011 at 2:01 am

Maddie is so cute! I love roommate traditions. I thought it was only a couple murders by two different people coined the same name by the media? Idk though, I’m probably wrong. Have a great night!
Ashley recently posted..I Got It

19 movesnmunchies January 9, 2011 at 3:10 am

oh my gosh MAddiee!!!! soo adorable!! i love WF cornbread!
movesnmunchies recently posted..Not Just Another Resolutions Post

20 Emma (Sweet Tooth Runner) January 9, 2011 at 6:17 am

Maddie’s little face!! Awww!!! πŸ™‚
Ice cream+cookies- good choice! πŸ˜€
Emma (Sweet Tooth Runner) recently posted..The new face of Mule Bars

21 Kara January 9, 2011 at 7:34 am

I used to make stuffed chicken breasts all the time when my husband and I first got married. Then pregnancy made me go “off” chicken and I haven’t gotten back into it…but I feel inspired by this post to break out some stuffed chicken for a dinner this week!
Kara recently posted..18 Month Clothing!

22 natalie @ http://healthybalancingact.blogspot.com/ January 9, 2011 at 7:44 am

that recipe looks yum, thanks for sharing that idea, i must try it for dinner tonight
natalie @ http://healthybalancingact.blogspot.com/ recently posted..cheaper and healthierwin and WIN!

23 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey January 9, 2011 at 8:24 am

I had a lazy night too! No shame! πŸ™‚
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..creamy tomato soup

24 Val @ Balancing Val January 9, 2011 at 8:25 am

Man, your brave!

I’d never be able to watch those kinds of movies unless my bf was home.

Otherwise, every little noise and light scares the shit out of me!
Val @ Balancing Val recently posted..Buuuuuurn!

25 Matt @ The Kitchen of a Runner January 9, 2011 at 8:44 am

I watched that movie yesterday and he seemed like an idiot. LOL.

26 Michele @ Healthy Cultivations January 9, 2011 at 8:46 am

My roommate (Serena, the cat) and I started to watch Craigslist Killer and then ended up going with Ghost Ship instead. I’ve seen it several times, but I like it every time.
Michele @ Healthy Cultivations recently posted..Fudgy Oats &amp Letting Our Lights Shine

27 Evan Thomas January 9, 2011 at 9:09 am

I loved (re)watching the movie last night as someone who was in Boston at that time. The first time I saw it, I was also on Wikipedia looking at his page and was surprised how accurate it all was. He actually only killed one person, and the whole thing happened in about a week. He even went to the same casino we always go to. I do feel bad for his fiance. I don’t know how she’d be able to trust another person again.

28 Lee January 9, 2011 at 10:15 am

My night pretty much paralleled yours – I sat home with my dog and watched The Craigslist Killer.
Lee recently posted..Once Upon a Time- I Ran a Marathon

29 Jenna @Eating Green, Staying Lean January 9, 2011 at 11:16 am

Yummm, I love love stuffed chicken breast! It’s so easy since chicken pairs so well with so many other foods.

I’m also super jealous about that cornbread…I might have to stop at Whole Foods later today and grab some πŸ™‚
Jenna @Eating Green, Staying Lean recently posted..β€œI’ll start on Monday”

30 Dani @ Princess of Queens January 9, 2011 at 12:29 pm

I can’t believe you cooked actual food in college. My staples were mac and cheese, pasta and butter, and sandwiches. Although me and friends always did a thanksgiving, christmas, and easter meal which involved a turkey or a chicken at someones house every year.

My personal favorite stuffing materials are : whole wheat bread, a spiced meat(salami, pepperoni,cappicola, etc), celery, parsley,and garlic πŸ™‚

Looks amazing! I can smell it from all the way up here!
Dani @ Princess of Queens recently posted..P90X Day 1…89 days to go!

31 Tina @ The Shakespearean Tomato January 9, 2011 at 2:01 pm

Mmmmm…I love stuffed chicken breasts! I wanted to share my FAVORITE stuffed chicken breast variation. I have a major weakness for buffalo chicken wings but they don’t make my tummy happy (the fat, not the spicy). So I developed this recipe to get my fix in a healthier way:

Butterfly the chicken breasts and then marinate them in Frank’s Red Hot Sauce for at least 30 minutes and up to overnight (has to be Frank’s for that authentic chicken wing flavor!)
Remove the chicken breasts from the hot sauce and crumble a bit of blue cheese in the center and fold it over
Coat the breasts in panko bread crumbs (they stay crunchier…the hot sauce is wet enough it makes the bread crumbs stick without any extra eggs or milk or anything) and place on a nonstick sprayed baking sheet
If you like it spicier you can drizzle some of the leftover hot sauce from the marinade over the chicken breasts now before baking
Bake for 35 minutes at 375

Seriously, all the flavor of buffalo wings but so much healthier and yummier. I think I may have to go grab a pack of chicken for myself this week πŸ™‚ I haven’t made these in too long.
Tina @ The Shakespearean Tomato recently posted..A Moment for Yogurt

32 Brittney January 9, 2011 at 7:53 pm

Haha, I found the movie kind of lame too! I purposely waited to watch in during the day in case it freaked me out at night, but it didn’t bother me at all. I’ve seen way scarier stuff on Dateline…lol!
Brittney recently posted..A Solitary Weekend

33 BroccoliHut January 9, 2011 at 11:07 pm

I need a Maddie in my life!
BroccoliHut recently posted..Tandoor Chef Giveaway!

34 Lauren @ Running Examiner January 10, 2011 at 3:40 pm

I can honestly say my roommates and I never made anything but Easy Mac in college. Very impressed that you and your roommates took a different route! The chicken looks delicious. Hope you had a nice weekend!
Lauren @ Running Examiner recently posted..The accidental running buddy