Happy Hour

by Meghann on January 7, 2011

Is it just me or did this week fly by? It didn’t truly hit me that today was Friday until it was close to 5:00 and I realized I was running late to happy hour with a friend. Usually I sneak out early on Fridays, but I was so busy that the thought didn’t even cross my mind. πŸ™‚

My tummy did start to grumble around 4:00. That’s when I pulled out some Salt & Vinegar Pop Chips (freebie) to snack on.

I fought a mix of downtown rush hour and Magic game traffic to meet my lovely friend Aimee at Ember for some celebratory drinks and food.

We were celebrating the end of one era and the start of another. πŸ™‚

I’ve known Aimee since kindergarten(!!) and we’ve both led pretty parallel lives (both graduated from FSU, both moved back to Orlando, both struggled with weight issues), but I’m not sure we’ve ever sat down and had drinks just the two of us before. It was great really getting to know her and discussing what both of our futures may hold.

In the theme of celebrating I had a cab sav as we chatted.

IMG_3923.jpg

I’ve lived in Orlando for over 2 years now and just outside Orlando 18 years before that and I can not tell you how many times I’ve heard the commercials for Ember play in constant rotation on 106.7. Those commercials always depicted the picture of a very happening night club where ladies were instructed to ‘dress to impress’ and 21 and up enter with no cover charge before 12. I had no idea that Ember was also a restaurant by day or that they had a pretty interesting menu.

But Aimee knew and she suggested we split two appetizers for dinner. Of course, I was game. πŸ˜‰

We split the Hummus Platter with Pita and Grilled Veggies.

And the Honey Shrimp.

The honey shrimp were delicious. Fried pillows of shrimp drizzled with a sweet honey vinaigrette… what’s not to love? πŸ˜‰

We chatted til close to 8. Said our goodbyes. and I headed home to get my chocolate fix in with a Dark Chocolate Covered Peppermint Joe Joe and a mug of Peppermint Hot Chocolate.

The Hot Chocolate was a gift from Christmas. It wasn’t as minty as I was expecting. :/

I’m expecting a quiet weekend this weekend. The plan is to get a lot of work done around the apartment as well as with the blog. That’s the plan anyways, we’ll see what really happens now. πŸ˜‰

Good Night!

1 Natalia@TheHealthScript January 7, 2011 at 11:23 pm

I still haven’t tried popchips but everyone has been raving about them so I think I’ll have to give them a shot!
And this week went by so insanely fast! But then again I only had a three day week πŸ™‚
Natalia@TheHealthScript recently posted..11 Goals for 2011

2 Christina January 7, 2011 at 11:23 pm

I wasn’t going to comment, but I have to agree with you on the fact that most peppermint hot chocolates are not minty enough. But my friends and I came up with the perfect way to combat that: Candy Canes. The idea was inspired by a surplus of holiday candy canes in my house last year (I mean, 100 were left over. my fam loves xmas). We started to stir our hot cocoa with them and they were the perfect addition to any mint-lacking drink. Even if you don’t have any leftovers, they’re totally on sale at Publix right now.
Christina recently posted..Tired abs and a satisfying dinner

3 Sana January 7, 2011 at 11:23 pm

That shrimp looks amaze! I am so happy you had a relaxing evening with a friend!
Sana recently posted..Can I tell you a secret

4 Lacey @ Lake Life January 7, 2011 at 11:29 pm

Your appetizers look delicious! Good luck with accomplishing your weekend plans πŸ™‚
Lacey @ Lake Life recently posted..Reason 328793458 why I love WEGMANS

5 Ashley January 7, 2011 at 11:41 pm

That makes me curious now about places I hear on my radio. I might have to check them out to see if they’re restaurants. Have a good weekend!
Ashley recently posted..I Got It

6 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) January 7, 2011 at 11:41 pm

This week did go by fast! I can’t believe tomorrow is Saturday already. I hope the weekend doesn’t go by as quickly πŸ™‚
Kate (What Kate is Cooking) recently posted..2010 Goals- A Look Back

7 Mish (Pursuit of Happiness) January 7, 2011 at 11:53 pm

the week flew!!! i only realised it was the end of the week when i got home and realised i didn’t have to go to work tomorrow!
Mish (Pursuit of Happiness) recently posted..Love is a Battlefield!

8 Maryann January 7, 2011 at 11:53 pm

I agree, the week flew by! Dinner looks really yum! Hummus and shrimp are tow of my favorite foods. Yay weekend πŸ™‚
Maryann recently posted..The Grass is Greener

9 hippierunner January 7, 2011 at 11:59 pm

Aww, that hot chocolate looks so cute! I’m a sucker for movie themed stuff. How cool you got to catch up with someon! That’s always fun!

10 Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) January 8, 2011 at 12:15 am

I want a Dark Chocolate Covered Peppermint Joe Joe! And that hot choc, too!

Enjoy your quiet weekend and so happy you had time with your friend…that is SO IMPORTANT! Real life friends who’ve known you forever,not just internet friends.

Happy you two hit up Ember…sounds like quite the place…I know the type of place that the radio stations always advertise…glad you finally checked it out!

11 Christin@purplebirdblog January 8, 2011 at 12:35 am

I am still friends with my first friend from kindergarten. Our lives weave in and out, but it’s always nice when we can come together and catch up!
Christin@purplebirdblog recently posted..FF- 3 years

12 Amanda (Eating Up) January 8, 2011 at 12:52 am

I love old friends like that. I still have a few I keep in touch with about once a year!
Amanda (Eating Up) recently posted..Beer-Cheese Bread

13 Paula January 8, 2011 at 12:57 am

Nothing like ending your night with a cup of hot chocolate!

I’ve seen Popchips all over the place – still haven’t tried them. They sound awesome!

My weekend will be quiet as well – I’m so excited about it!
Paula recently posted..Im Baaaack!!

14 Marina January 8, 2011 at 2:27 am

peppermint chocolate sounds so great for a before bed snack. I bet it would soothe me so much, perfect for a good night sleep!
Marina recently posted..Holiday gift making –

15 Gill (snaxandthecity) January 8, 2011 at 5:40 am

I have no idea what a JoJo is, but I want one!! England has such rubbish treats in comparison to the US…
It must be so exciting to be contemplating a whole new era in your life – congrats!

16 Lauren January 8, 2011 at 6:53 am

The peppermint hot cocoa I tried was really good and minty.
Lauren recently posted..SNOW LOVE

17 Kara January 8, 2011 at 7:06 am

Did you still have to “dress to impress” to eat there? πŸ™‚ Maybe that place should get on that Guy Fieri show where he goes to unlikely places to get good food!
Kara recently posted..Peanut makes the baby stop crying

18 Stacy @ Every Little Thing January 8, 2011 at 7:35 am

Glad you got to go out and celebrate! And I really need to try PopChips. I’ve only heard good things about them!
Stacy @ Every Little Thing recently posted..Blackberry Oat Muffins

19 Lauren January 8, 2011 at 8:04 am

I am so jealous that everyone found these Jo Jo’s. When I went, they were all out and weren’t restocking. Boo!! Glad you had a good night!
Lauren recently posted..The Good Life

20 movesnmunchies January 8, 2011 at 8:08 am

choco peppermint!! ahh that sounds SO good right now!
movesnmunchies recently posted..Not Just Another Resolutions Post

21 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey January 8, 2011 at 8:16 am

That restaurant looks really good! I’d be all over that hummus appetizer! I love quiet weekends to catch up and relax! Have a great one!
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..creamy tomato soup

22 Kristy @ KristyRuns January 8, 2011 at 9:00 am

Looks like fun!

Mmmm…that hot chocolate looks goooooood.

23 Matt @ The Kitchen of a Runner January 8, 2011 at 9:05 am

Looks like a great place! I am a sucker for the hummus appetizer πŸ˜‰

24 Hope January 8, 2011 at 9:08 am

That restaurant looks super cute! Plus the food looks amazing! Peppermint hot cocoa sounds delicious! I have a peppermint mocha Coffeemate Creamer that is so good!
Hope recently posted..Food Poisioning And BRAT…

25 Chelsea @ Strawberry Sweat January 8, 2011 at 9:09 am

Now, I’m really craving pop-chips!! They are delicious, but like any other chip, I could go on eating them forever πŸ™‚
Chelsea @ Strawberry Sweat recently posted..My Cross-Training Boredom

26 Kelly January 8, 2011 at 10:15 am

I love happy hours with friends. No better way to kick off the weekend!
Kelly recently posted..Rookie Mistake

27 Faith @ lovelyascharged January 8, 2011 at 10:22 am

Oh my gosh? I work right across the street from Ember! We should meet up sometime πŸ™‚
Faith @ lovelyascharged recently posted..Looks Like I Made It

28 Jenna @Eating Green, Staying Lean January 8, 2011 at 11:40 am

I just had to say how adorable that tin of peppermint hot chocolate is! It’s too bad it wasn’t minty enough, but super cute that there’s a polar express theme πŸ™‚
Jenna @Eating Green, Staying Lean recently posted..β€œI’ll start on Monday”

29 Ali January 8, 2011 at 7:48 pm

Mint hot chocolate does sound really good. It’s too bad it wasn’t minty enough, bummer.
Ali recently posted..fun facts about me- part 1