Six Week, Six Pack Questions Answered

by Meghann on January 6, 2011

Good Morning!

First of all, let me apologize for probably the worst ‘before shot’ of all time.

IMAG0431

Bad lighting… Dirty mirror…Adorable Jack Russell on my unmade bed in the background… you get the idea. 😉

But, I wanted something to compare to in this challenge of sorts. Today marks Day 2 in Week 1. I paired level 1 of the Six Week, Six Pack with level 1 of Jillian’s 30 Day Shred. Doing the two back to back made for a great complete work out.

I had a laundry list of questions from this post where I announced the Jillian Michaels Six Week, Six-Pack  Challenge, so I thought I would address them here. 🙂

#1 What is the Jillian Michaels Six Week, Six Pack Challenge?

It’s a work out DVD! 🙂

You can read my initial review here.

Basically, in true Jillian Michaels fashion, she offers her readers certain results in a certain amount of time by repetitively following her circuit style dvd workout. I had jumped on the 30 Day Shred bandwagon a couple of years ago and had great results with that work out, so I’m curious to give another one of her ‘challenges’ a shot.

#2 What type of results are you really expecting?

As I stated in my original challenge post, I’m not expecting a six-pack to come out of this. First off, Jillian suggests doing the DVD 5 days a week and I plan to only do it 3. Secondly, I’m one of those firm believers that six packs are damn near impossible to achieve unless you are genetically blessed or eat a diet so perfected and regimented that food stops being enjoyable and starts being solely for fuel. I enjoy sweets. I enjoy beer. I do not enjoy calculating and analyzing every meal I digest in order to gain the ‘perfect figure.’

However, I think it would be fun to give the whole challenge a shot and see what happens. I loved my results from 30 Day Shred, maybe I’ll get something similar? 🙂

#3 Where can you find the DVD?

I’ve seen Jillian Six Week, Six Pack at Target and on Amazon for super cheap. Level 1 is also available through Exercise.TV on demand through my cable provider. Just searched YouTube and couldn’t find it. Anyone else had any luck with that?

#4 Isn’t it a bit much doing a 38 minute AB routine?

Yes. But, to be fair most the moves in the work out don’t even feel like ab work outs. I’m not even sure if there is a true crunch or sit up in the whole routine. It’s a lot of moves on your feet with just a touch of mat work. It’s truly the perfect balance to keep you from getting bored.

I think that’s good for now. Let me know if you have anymore and I’ll revisit the topic next week.

Anyone else following along? Want to showcase your thoughts on the challenge for the blog? Send me an e-mail at mealsandmiles@gmail.com 🙂

It has NOT been a pretty morning in Central Florida.

IMG_3761

Gray skies, rain, and wind makes for a very gloomy day. Boo. 🙁

IMG_3769

Definitely a morning for oatmeal.

IMG_3762

• 1/3 cup Rolled Oats
  • 1/3 cup Milk
  • 1/3 cup Water
  • Chia Seeds
  • Raisins
  • Pumpkin
  • pinch of salt

• Apple Granola Munch
  • Apple Butter
  • PB & Co Dark Chocolate Dreams

IMG_3776

🙂

HAPPY BIRTHDAY DADDY!!!!

Today my Dad is celebrating his 3rd anniversary of turning 45. 😉 Our deal is he can stay 45 forever and I’ll stay 25 forever and no one will be the wiser, right Dad?

Besides what 48 year old can do all this?

That’s what I thought.

Happy Birthday Dad! Love you times a million!

1 Evan Thomas January 6, 2011 at 10:10 am

Happy birthday, Mr. Anderson!

2 Julie @ Peanut Butter Fingers January 6, 2011 at 10:13 am

i’m excited for you in this challenge! sounds like a neat goal. happy birthday to your dad!
Julie @ Peanut Butter Fingers recently posted..Rainy Day Dog

3 Jess January 6, 2011 at 10:14 am

I have the same bowl as you, but never noticed it before!

And I’m in the market for a new workout DVD, so maybe I’ll give Jillian a try. I did love the Shred.
Jess recently posted..Running On Your Lunch Break

4 movesnmunchies January 6, 2011 at 10:15 am

oohh wish him a happy birthday! I’m interested to see what the DVD does for you!
movesnmunchies recently posted..Not Just Another Resolutions Post

5 Mimi January 6, 2011 at 10:16 am

I did a Jillian video the other day. Eeek! She’s tough!

I’m doing a little challenge of my own right now. I think it’s good to have fun, short-term goals.
Mimi recently posted..Dress shopping

6 Beth @ Beth's Journey to Thin January 6, 2011 at 10:18 am

That picture of you as a kid at the end is ADORABLE!!
Beth @ Beth’s Journey to Thin recently posted..Random Thought Wednesday- Part Two

7 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday January 6, 2011 at 10:18 am

Happy Birthday to your dad! He’s so young!!

8 kristy @ kristyruns.com January 6, 2011 at 10:19 am

Wow. You are hardcore. Running is enough of an ab workout for me. I bet actually working my core would really help my running though…

Happy birthday to your dad! 🙂
kristy @ kristyruns.com recently posted..1-1-11

9 Sarah (Sarah Learns) January 6, 2011 at 10:20 am

i love the family photos! happy birthday to your dad!

i’m excited to see your results from your challenge. i’m thinking about trying 30 day shred soon.

10 Lauri January 6, 2011 at 10:20 am

I am going to try doing it 2-3x/week as well. I just checked my on demand schedule through Exercise TV and it is there (Level 1) but lists it as 22 minutes? I wonder if they cut it short. Is the workout on your DVD a full 38 minutes?

11 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat January 6, 2011 at 10:21 am

I’d love to try this challenge for the same reasons as you, and because it would be something different to my usual routine. I can’t wait to hear your reviews because they may lead me to buy it!
Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat recently posted..2011- Here I Come

12 Cathy B. @ Bright Bakes January 6, 2011 at 10:22 am

thanks for the review/info…I’ve been looking for a new dvd to change things up and I think I’ll give this one a shot 🙂
cheers,
cathy b. @ brightbakes
Cathy B. @ Bright Bakes recently posted..Greek Yogurt—Made From Scratch

13 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) January 6, 2011 at 10:22 am

Happy birthday to your dad! He and my mom are almost the exact same age 🙂
Kate (What Kate is Cooking) recently posted..2010 Goals- A Look Back

14 Amanda (Eating Up) January 6, 2011 at 10:24 am

It was an oatmeal day in Chicago too!
Amanda (Eating Up) recently posted..Beer-Cheese Bread

15 Danielle January 6, 2011 at 10:26 am

This makes me want to grab the 6 week 6 Pack and try it out! Hope you get rockin results!! : )
Danielle recently posted..Three Things Thursday

16 Allie January 6, 2011 at 10:32 am

Great answers to the six pack questions and I agree about people, especially women’s abs showing.. unless you eat perfectly (which is never fun!) they won’t always be there but it doesn’t mean your core isn’t strong. You know what you are talking about 🙂 Sorry it is rainy in FL… it is snowing in Pittsburgh, wanna trade?! Happy Birthday to your dad! He is so active-awesome!
Allie recently posted..My life in 30 days- day 17

17 Biz January 6, 2011 at 10:34 am

I agree, the only way to get six pack abs is to spend hours in the gym, eat lots of protein, and not have any fun.

That being said, I’ll take your before abs any day! 😀
Biz recently posted..Weekend Recap and Winner!

18 Biz January 6, 2011 at 10:34 am

Oops – Happy Bday to your Papa!
Biz recently posted..Weekend Recap and Winner!

19 Kelly January 6, 2011 at 10:35 am

I’m so jealous of the abs I used to have when I was 19-20, and I didn’t appreciate them at allll! Happy birthday to your dad!
Kelly recently posted..Rookie Mistake

20 Chelsea @ Strawberry Sweat January 6, 2011 at 10:36 am

I haven’t tried any of Jillian’s work-out DVDs, so I’ll have to check back to see what you think of the 6 pack abs one! Cause really, who doesn’t want flatter/more toned abs??!

Happy Birthday to your Dad!!
Chelsea @ Strawberry Sweat recently posted..Who Left the Freezer Open

21 Hope January 6, 2011 at 10:37 am

I can’t wait to see what kind of results you get. I really would like to get into better shape. I think I’m going to see if I can find any of Jillian’s workouts on-demand. Happy Birthday to your dad! 🙂
Hope recently posted..Food Poisioning And BRAT…

22 Nicci January 6, 2011 at 10:43 am

Jillians dvd’s always give me a great workout. Happy Birthday Mr. Anderson 🙂

23 Katy (The Singing Runner) January 6, 2011 at 10:44 am

Awww Happy Birthday to your dad! 😀

I can’t wait to hear what results you get!

And I just read on twitter that you are doing the IronGirl 1/2 Marathon in Clearwater in April? Me too!!! 😀
Katy (The Singing Runner) recently posted..Perfectionist

24 Lindsey January 6, 2011 at 10:51 am

I did the 30 day Shred with great results as well– as scary as Jillian seems, she knows what she’s doing!
Happy Birthday to your dad!
Lindsey recently posted..Random Baby Cuteness

25 Anna @ History Running Girl January 6, 2011 at 10:51 am

I did this DVD last night. I’m interested in doing more of it.
Anna @ History Running Girl recently posted..New Year- New Goals

26 Colleen January 6, 2011 at 10:52 am

Just started doing the 30 day shred. I am doing it 2-3 times a week opposite of doing the elliptical and yoga. My legs, shoulders and belly are already feeling it. But that is a good thing. Need to lose these left over baby pounds and belly. May have to add the AB DVD if the 30-day one does help tighten the loose belly. Happy birthday to your dad. Age is only a number.

27 Christina January 6, 2011 at 10:55 am

Keep us posted on how the workouts are going! I’m thinking of doing the 30 day shred, I’m a late bandwagon jumper haha. But I’d prefer to do the 6 week 6 pack if it’s worth a try.
Christina recently posted..Being mentally checked out and a quinoa recipe for everyone!

28 RunningOnCoffee January 6, 2011 at 10:58 am

I love the picture of you guys when you were younger!
Looking forward to hearing what you think of this DVD. I don’t think 38 minutes is too long for a good core workout; I’ve done a 30 minute “Crunchtime” class at my gym before (immediately following an hour long spin class). Now I want to go see if Level 1 on my OnDemand!
RunningOnCoffee recently posted..A Caffeinated Christmas

29 Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) January 6, 2011 at 11:09 am

Happy Bday to your DADDY!

And your challenge…you will rock it and whatever results you get, you will know that you did something positive and that you tried, and that’s all that anyone can ask of herself at the end of the day 🙂 Good luck!!
Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) recently posted..Coconut Water- Coconut Fan or Not

30 rachael (peace, kale, and yoga) January 6, 2011 at 11:10 am

Such cute old pictures! Happy birthday to your dad!

I give you a lot of credit for doing a 38 minute dvd 3 times per week, I have major workout dvd adhd. Any tips for that?

31 Christin@purplebirdblog January 6, 2011 at 11:11 am

Happy birthday to your dad!!
Christin@purplebirdblog recently posted..Sweet Potato Madness

32 Rae January 6, 2011 at 11:16 am

Great challenge. I did the workout for the first time yesterday….the first 10 minutes I was bored and the last 10 I was cursing 😛 Of course, i used a 10 lb weight so that might do it!! I agree though, I would more call it a “overall” strength/intervals workout
Rae recently posted..Planning your race season

33 Natalie @ Will Jog For Food January 6, 2011 at 11:29 am

I love the pics of you and your family!!

Your oatmeal looks amazing 🙂
Natalie @ Will Jog For Food recently posted..Shakeology Cleanse &amp GIVEAWAY!

34 hippierunner January 6, 2011 at 11:39 am

Happy Birthday to your dad! 🙂

35 April B January 6, 2011 at 11:39 am

That picture of you guys with your dad when you were little is SO cute! 🙂
Good luck with the Ab routine. I need to get a routine going – maybe I’ll try Jillian’s. I did the Shred a while back also and liked it.
April B recently posted..Swimming in Fear

36 Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine January 6, 2011 at 11:47 am

Happy birthday to your dad!! Crazy that he’s only 48- I think of all parents in terms of my own, and my dad is 63 and his oldest is only 24. My parents waited so long to have kids!
Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine recently posted..Foiled

37 Lindsey January 6, 2011 at 11:52 am

Ah! This post made me way happy. My six-pack-less stomach is my “thing” that I get all torn up about, but having a “perfect” stomach just doesn’t seem to be in the cards for me, either! (Since I eat pretty healthily and work out 5-6 times a week, I’m going to blame genetics all the way 😉 ) I think you look awesome, but I’m interested to see what Jillian Michaels does! I did the 30 Day Shred too, and loved it!

38 Allison @ PickyEatingRD January 6, 2011 at 12:01 pm

I loveee all of Jillian Michael’s dvds but this one is one of my favs!!

Also, happy birthday to your dad!!!
Allison @ PickyEatingRD recently posted..Calcium Supplement 411

39 MaryBe January 6, 2011 at 12:07 pm

Happy Birthday to your Dad! He looks great!
I am burned out on Jillian, but good luck
MaryBe recently posted..Coming Soon!

40 Elizabeth@The Sweet Life January 6, 2011 at 12:13 pm

I love that you’ve posted a picture–way to be confident, and way to share your journey with us! Happy Birthday to your dad–did you get him a gift?
Elizabeth@The Sweet Life recently posted..GOOP

41 Kara January 6, 2011 at 12:20 pm

I’m looking forward to reading how the challenge goes…I wish I had the time to commit to it! I never know how many days a week the baby will let me work out, so I wouldn’t be able to give it an honest go (although my experience might interesting to see when Jillian can do about post-baby abs)!
Kara recently posted..Chilly morning run

42 Matt @ The Kitchen of a Runner January 6, 2011 at 12:21 pm

Happy birthday to your dad!

43 Lauren January 6, 2011 at 12:32 pm

I love this workout and part of the reason why I do is because of all of the standing ab work. Jillian rocks! Good luck with this challenge.
Lauren recently posted..Party Like its a Russian New Year

44 Katie January 6, 2011 at 12:36 pm

Im excited to see your results girl!!!! I love seeing people do stuff like this and see amazing results! I have a feeling you will ; )

Happy Birthday to your dad! I hope he eats yummy cake and is surrounded by loved ones!!

45 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey January 6, 2011 at 12:47 pm

That 6 pack ab tape is hard! I’ve done it twice!
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..creamy tomato soup

46 Josephine @ Creating a Positive Life January 6, 2011 at 12:49 pm

I saw the DVD at Costco this weekend for $7! I may go get it now. I loved the shred.
Josephine @ Creating a Positive Life recently posted..Morning Yums

47 Ashley January 6, 2011 at 12:59 pm

Happy Birthday to your dad! Goodluck with the challenge.
Ashley recently posted..I Got It

48 Katherine: Unemployed January 6, 2011 at 1:07 pm

young at heart; isn’t that what age is about anyway!

I got the Jillian Michaels DVD for $4 from borders when they did a coupon promo and gave $5 off to all card members! I am stoked about being able to wear swimwear for spring break
Katherine: Unemployed recently posted..Kermit

49 Brie @ Brie Fit January 6, 2011 at 1:26 pm

Your parents are so young! We’re the same age (or close to it, anyway) and my mom is 60.
Brie @ Brie Fit recently posted..1724

50 Monica C. January 6, 2011 at 1:36 pm

I will second Brie’s sentiment: your parents ARE so young! I say that because I’m only 5 years younger than they are!! And my kids are 6 and 8! 🙂 AND I read your blog and try to keep up with your workouts! 🙂

That being said, I think I’m in for the challenge. For the moment, I am cutting way back on my running. I need to buy the DVD (I have Shred but not the Abs), but I have a $20 gift card from Borders to use for this very purpose!
Monica C. recently posted..Dallas White Rock Marathon Race Report

51 Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) January 6, 2011 at 1:53 pm

Happy Birthday to your dad! thanks for the review of the DVD. I like hearing personal thoughts on things like this before I consider buying them!

52 erica January 6, 2011 at 2:20 pm

happy birthday to your dad!
erica recently posted..sure took long enough!

53 Jena January 6, 2011 at 2:25 pm

Happy Birthday to your Dad!

After I read your post a few days ago about starting Jillian’s 6wk 6 pack I decided I wanted to check it out.

I looked it up on Exercise TV and gave it a whirl.

#1. Jillian can not hold my attention for 40 minutes
#2. I only did 20 minutes and I’m still sore 2 days later.

I am going to give it another try, Jillian didn’t get a fair chance. My husband came home right at about the 20 minute mark and that was enough of a reason to quit right then. I feel silly bouncing, stretching, planking, and crunching in the middle of the living room while my husband stands in the kitchen and watches.

I also did 30 Day Shred, and he sat on the couch and laughed. Don’t get me wrong, he is very supportive of me, but I’m so uncoordinated I look like a huge goof and I’m usually several seconds behind on the moves.
Jena recently posted..Dang decisions

54 Kacy January 6, 2011 at 2:33 pm

Aw, happy b-day to your daddy!

Hope the rain goes away soon!
Kacy recently posted..Numbness

55 Billie January 6, 2011 at 5:06 pm

Hi. I love that little Poochie of yours she is gorgeous so pretty. Just wondered why you don’t use the self timer on your camera to take before photos? I do it like that and photoshop the unmade bed out. xx
Billie recently posted..January 2011…

56 annie January 7, 2011 at 3:00 am

where di you get your bowl?! I LOVE IT!!

57 Kelly Anne January 7, 2011 at 10:22 am

I’m doing her DVD too! I don’t know that I’ll be doing it 5 days a week (today was day 2), but so far so good. It’s hard!! Good luck!

58 Jess@atasteofconfidence January 12, 2011 at 8:23 pm

Thanks for the info!
Jess@atasteofconfidence recently posted..Shopping Spree

59 BriLee February 12, 2011 at 12:51 pm

I got this for the holidays but have yet to try it. I am going to start today.

{ 8 trackbacks }