Crackerjacks

by Meghann on January 6, 2011

Alright everyone, one more time….

Happy Birthday Daddy!!! πŸ™‚

I left work on the early side this evening so I could make the hour trek to my parents’ neck of the woods to celebrate my Dad’s birthday. Luckily traffic was easy and I made it to town just in time to watch the sun set.

Obviously it’s been a while since I’ve been by the water in my hometown. As we were pulling up to the year old restaurant (which I had never seen before) I noticed a huge new causeway that had been completed right next door as well as a new pier that had been rebuilt after a few hurricanes had knocked it over a while back.

My hometown is very limited on restaurants, but there are a few that my Dad enjoys. We went with Crackerjacks – a seafood joint on the water – to celebrate his big 4-8 at.

Breathtaking on the outside, but a little blah inside.

I blame these.

Blah. A food photographer’s worst nightmare.

Of course, it did give everyone an instant tan.

They probably prefer the non-devil look.

Better.

Crackerjack’s menu has fish, fish, and umm… more fish.

You’ll never guess what I ordered. πŸ˜‰

Fish!… tacos πŸ˜‰ They weren’t bad, but I wasn’t a fan of the tortilla. I had a whole taco and ate the half of the insides out of the second.

I opted out of the fries and asked for veggies on the side instead.

I ate all of those.

My poor vegetarian sister was very limited on her options on what to order. She asked for the shrimp burrito minus the shrimp, but they were out of black beans and it ended up only being a tortilla stuffed with rice. πŸ™

We headed back to my parents’ for dessert.

My Mom had baked my Dad a chocolate birthday cake with homemade buttercream icing. It was DELICIOUS!

I don’t know what the secret to homemade icing is (I’ve failed every time I’ve tried), but my Mom has it down pat.

IMG_3871.jpg

Maybe it’s because good icing requires a Kitchenaid Mixer? I mean that has to be it, right? Obviously I need one now. πŸ˜‰

I’ll leave you with some Lilly love. She’s my favorite. πŸ™‚

IMG_3878.JPG IMG_3879.JPG IMG_3880.JPGIMG_3881.JPG IMG_3882.JPG IMG_3883.JPG IMG_3884.JPG

Good Night!

1 Michele @ Healthy Cultivations January 6, 2011 at 10:23 pm

Looks like a wonderful evening with the family. And a great big Happy Birthday to Meghann’s dad!!

2 Jasmine @ Eat Move Write January 6, 2011 at 10:24 pm

Awww. Happy Birthday Dad! I’m so jealous that your dad is so young!

Those pictures of the baby are super sweet. πŸ™‚ I want a baby so badly! Gah!
Jasmine @ Eat Move Write recently posted..The Great Fish Debate of 2011

3 mindy @ just a one girl revolution. January 6, 2011 at 10:24 pm

I think having recipes like that down pat is in the Mom Code of Ethics. Mine is the same way.
mindy @ just a one girl revolution. recently posted..best cupcake ever

4 Chelsea @ Strawberry Sweat January 6, 2011 at 10:25 pm

Aww–Lilly is SO cute!!!! I’m not much of a kid person, but I’d totally want to borrow her for a couple days…or a week…or a couple months (with her parents permission of course!) πŸ™‚

Happy Birthday to your Dad!!!
Chelsea @ Strawberry Sweat recently posted..10 Minutes to the Cardio Train

5 Maryann January 6, 2011 at 10:26 pm

Fish tacos are one of my favorite foods… and cake too obviously πŸ™‚ Lilly is such a cutie!
Maryann recently posted..The Grass is Greener

6 Sonja January 6, 2011 at 10:27 pm

Kitchen Aid mixers are the BOMB. I use mine for everything… including the very best homemade pizza dough. Maybe you can get one when you move in with your honey! πŸ™‚

7 Ashley January 6, 2011 at 10:32 pm

Lilly gets cuter with each picture! I don’t think there is a secret to homemade frosting. I followed one of Angela from Oh She Glows recipe to a T and only used a fork and some elbow grease. It turned out amazing.
Ashley recently posted..I Got It

8 Katy (The Singing Runner) January 6, 2011 at 10:34 pm

Looks like a great evening with family! Happy birthday to your dad! πŸ™‚
Katy (The Singing Runner) recently posted..Perfectionist

9 Megan January 6, 2011 at 10:38 pm

Happy Birthday to your daddy! And Lilly is absolutely ADORABLE!!!

10 Christin@purplebirdblog January 6, 2011 at 10:40 pm

Sweet baby! And I love your dad’s tshirt!
Christin@purplebirdblog recently posted..Two Sweet Breakfasts

11 Kiran January 6, 2011 at 10:41 pm

Lily is super adorable!

Happy Birthday Mr Anderson πŸ™‚

12 Sana January 6, 2011 at 10:41 pm

Mummm that icing looks amazeee.
Sana recently posted..Can I tell you a secret

13 Allison @ PickyEatingRD January 6, 2011 at 10:42 pm

Lilly is so cute!! Buttercream frosting is the best!!!

14 Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) January 6, 2011 at 11:28 pm

cute baby pics!

that restaurant reminds me of so many i used to go to in NC and SC…on the water, super casual…and veggie options were on the limited side, you could say πŸ™‚
Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) recently posted..Neighborhood Walk Photos- Stop &amp Smell the Roses

15 Kristina @ spabettie January 6, 2011 at 11:35 pm

HAPPY BIRTHDAY to your DAD!!

I *LOVE* his shirt!! πŸ˜€
Kristina @ spabettie recently posted..Jason’s chili

16 Kaitlin January 7, 2011 at 12:23 am

Love your hair in that cake photo! The new haircut looks cute!
Kaitlin recently posted..1st Marathon Training Plan

17 Katherine @ Left Coast Contessa January 7, 2011 at 12:36 am

awww looks like you dad had a good birthday πŸ™‚
Katherine @ Left Coast Contessa recently posted..snap- crackle- pop

18 Jaime January 7, 2011 at 12:39 am

Meghann: I’m in love with your little sweater…where’s it from?

Too bad about the dinner…a bad fish taco would make me so sad because when you get a good one it’s sooooo great!

Your poor sister. Restaurants really should have at least a couple of veggie options…it’s not like vegetarians are that rare!

19 Meghann January 7, 2011 at 8:11 am

I got it from Forever 21 for $6.50 a couple of days before Christmas πŸ™‚

20 Jaime January 7, 2011 at 3:28 pm

Nice score. If only we had F21 here.
Jaime recently posted..Day Before Today

21 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) January 7, 2011 at 1:15 am

I totally feel your sister’s pain. Steakhouses and seafood places rarely have good options for vegetarians!
Kate (What Kate is Cooking) recently posted..2010 Goals- A Look Back

22 Elizabeth January 7, 2011 at 2:50 am

I just got a KitchenAid for Christmas (after coveting one for 10 years) and I must say, it has been epically life-changing. I’ve never been much of a baker, but I am now. Breads and doughs that used to be lumpy/dry/weird now come out perfect. I have yet to make frosting with it, but I’m planing on it soon. I can’t imagine I’ll fail with Bess (yes, I named my mixer. πŸ˜‰ )

23 Carrie January 7, 2011 at 9:34 am

Your frosting will be amazing. You are about to experience frosting nirvana. (My KitchenAid and I have a little romance, going on five years now. It’s the best thing I ever bought myself…and I’m including my car in this! πŸ™‚ )

24 Tulip January 7, 2011 at 4:46 am

Cake looks delicious! Poor Kelly haha that would be frustrating…
Tulip recently posted..Mushy Peas – A Revelation 6-1 Food Diary

25 Lauren January 7, 2011 at 6:56 am

Happy Birthday to your dad! Sometimes those places have the worst options when it comes to vegetarians. But at least the veggies looked good! πŸ™‚
Lauren recently posted..Party Like its a Russian New Year

26 shelby January 7, 2011 at 7:12 am

Love your little cardigan! Looks cozy, too! Wherever did you get it?

27 Meghann January 7, 2011 at 8:12 am

I got it from Forever 21 for $6.50 a couple of days before Christmas

28 alison January 7, 2011 at 7:29 am

Happy (belated) Birthday to your dad! Yesterday was also my friend/neighbor’s 48th birthday. A good day to be born, indeed!

A Kitchen Aid mixer will change your life, and it makes homemade buttercream a snap. I didn’t have a real wedding, which meant I couldn’t add a KA mixer to a gift registry, so after 10 years of marriage, I bought my own. It was worth every single penny.
alison recently posted..Off We Go!

29 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey January 7, 2011 at 7:29 am

Your poor sister is right! I hate it when restaurants do not have any vegetarian options!
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..creamy tomato soup

30 Jennie January 7, 2011 at 8:02 am

I live pretty close to Cracker Jacks and have heard really good things about it! My husband is a huge fish taco fan so I’ll have to take him there one of these days. πŸ™‚

31 Hope January 7, 2011 at 8:04 am

That cake looks yummy! I need a KitchenAid Mixer also! It would make everything so much easier! One day.. πŸ™‚
Hope recently posted..Food Poisioning And BRAT…

32 Kara January 7, 2011 at 8:11 am

I love your dad’s shirt! My brother loves wearing shirts like those.

Your poor sister, a burrito filled with rice is a sad dinner πŸ™

Lily is super cute, almost as cute as my baby πŸ˜‰
Kara recently posted..Chilly morning run

33 Tami January 7, 2011 at 8:23 am

we have a joke in our family that you need to get married just to get a kitchen aid mixer
Tami recently posted..1000 with Tall Mom

34 melissa January 7, 2011 at 9:11 am

try this—hasn’t failed me once, and it such a delicious icing—i used skippy natural–when i used regular skippy it didn’t come out as good!

its a winner!

35 Sarah @ See Sarah Graduate January 7, 2011 at 9:17 am

Ohhh I LOVE homemade buttercream icing. So much better than what you can buy in stores! πŸ™‚
Sarah @ See Sarah Graduate recently posted..Calm Before the Storm

36 Stephanie January 7, 2011 at 9:17 am

Try making cream cheese icing to get the technique down before going to buttercream. It’s more flexible and isn’t as fickle. πŸ™‚ And always have ingredients at room temp!!
Stephanie recently posted..Whole Grain Waffles with Cherry Syrup

37 Stephanie @ The Cookie Battle January 7, 2011 at 9:32 am

The key to homemade icing is the temperature of the butter. That can make or break your icing!

Lily is adorable πŸ™‚ Happy Birthday to your dad!
Stephanie @ The Cookie Battle recently posted..My First Race

38 Meg January 7, 2011 at 9:41 am

Happy Birthday to your Dad! What a lovely celebration πŸ˜€

Meghann your smile just RADIATES! I had to let you know.
Meg recently posted..Good Friends- Good Food

39 Kelly January 7, 2011 at 10:15 am

Still looks like a nice evening with the fam despite the food problems.
Kelly recently posted..Rookie Mistake

40 Amy January 7, 2011 at 10:40 am

LOVE LOVE LOVE your Dad’s shirt…like he cares what i think πŸ˜€

41 Kacy January 7, 2011 at 11:02 am

Looks like a fun evening! I’m glad your dad had a good b-day!

42 Jessi @ Quirky Cookery January 7, 2011 at 3:26 pm

When she ordered the burrito minus the shrimp, did they at least tell her they were out of black beans? Or was it a surprise when they just brought her the rice and tortilla? Seems she would’ve had better luck putting together something using a side of veggies like yours instead. πŸ™
Jessi @ Quirky Cookery recently posted..Pasta snowflakes – Its not too late to make your own

43 Meghann January 7, 2011 at 4:34 pm

No, they didn’t tell her they were out of black beans until they served her. The waitress didn’t even know they were out until we pointed out they were missing and she asked the kitchen staff to redo it. She ended up just eating a side of veggies and french fries for dinner.

44 Jessi @ Quirky Cookery January 7, 2011 at 4:37 pm

Ugh, that really sucks. πŸ™

45 Allie January 7, 2011 at 10:28 pm

That cake looks great! I have only used one homemade icing recipe, but I really like it and it is simple. You can find it at: http://www.hersheys.com/recipes/184/HERSHEY%27S%20%22PERFECTLY%20CHOCOLATE%22%20Chocolate%20Cake.aspx

Allie at http://bigcitybabycarrots.wordpress.com
Allie recently posted..Picture Issue

46 Mimi January 8, 2011 at 10:23 am

Awh, Lily is precious! How are you related?
Mimi recently posted..Up in the air

47 Meghann January 8, 2011 at 10:36 am

She’s my cousin’s daughter πŸ™‚