more ยป" />

What I do best

by Meghann on January 5, 2011

Wow!

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! ๐Ÿ™‚

The out pouring of support has been amazing. Seriously. You guys rock! It was so hard to keep those secrets for this long, but now that they’re out – I’m so excited that i’ve given myself a tummy ache from all the adrenaline!

(You can’t see me, but I’m fist pumping right now!)

I know you guys have a lot of questions – and I have a lot of answers! – but it’s been a big day, so let’s take it slow for now and start with lunch.

Because you come to take a peak into my life, but you stay for the food. Especially the odd food. Like my baked sweet potato with almond butter and blue cheese on a bed of wilted kale.

I don’t know what it is, but this week I’ve really been digging the odd flavor combinations. They speak to me in the best way.

Almond buter and sweet potato isn’t anything new, but i’d like to think the addition of the blue cheese was a nice salty touch. I had my fears this was going to be bad, but you know what? It was awesome.

My last cornbread muffin made an appearance with lunch as well.

Our quarterly sales meeting is happening this week (great timing with giving my two weeks notice, right?), which means lots of meals brought in for the group and lots of left overs to share throughout the day.

I snagged one of those left overs (half a blueberry bagel) and topped with some strawberry jam and nuts as my afternoon snack.

The ‘nuts’ were actually the pastry droppings that had accumulated in the box. Good food should not go to waste – even the crumbs. ๐Ÿ˜‰

I think you guys are going to love my dinner. I’d like to call it ‘Lazy Girl’s Paella.’

It’s lazy because it took me all of 20 minutes and I think it’s paella because of the addition of this bad boy.

IMG_3718.jpg

mmm…. octopus, squids, and clams – oh my!

For a huge seafood fanatic like myself who enjoys her squid and octopus this $6 bag of mixed seafood from Publix is my new best friend.

I started with brown rice that I cooked with a little more extra vegetable broth than usual.

Then added some mushrooms, onions, tomato, corn, frozen seafood and saffron.

Let it cook on low for 15 minutes and dinner was served.

I haven’t had paella in a while, but I think I got very, very close with the flavors here. It’s not authentic or anything, but it’s great for a quick weeknight meal. ๐Ÿ™‚

For dessert I had a cookie straight from the freezer.

Frozen cookies rock!

and now….

Screen shot 2011-01-05 at 9.39.42 PM.png

Of course, it wasn’t much of a debate. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Until tomorrow my friends!!! ๐Ÿ™‚

1 Chelsea @ Strawberry Sweat January 5, 2011 at 9:44 pm

First off, another congrats for making those important life decisions! You’ll definitely rock your new job(s)!

I also dig the weird flavor combos. Food’s no fun if you can’t play with it, right?
Chelsea @ Strawberry Sweat recently posted..My Little Kitten Ducklings

2 Hannah (Running In Freedom) January 5, 2011 at 9:45 pm

This is all so exciting! Seeing someone follow their heart is always inspiring. ๐Ÿ™‚ Congrats!
Hannah (Running In Freedom) recently posted..Dreary Shmeary

3 michelle January 5, 2011 at 9:45 pm

Good luck with your new adventure
michelle recently posted..Track Workout 1 and The Bachelor

4 Stacy @ Every Little Thing January 5, 2011 at 9:47 pm

Good, you deserve the beer! Great food…had no idea they sold mixed fish like that.
Stacy @ Every Little Thing recently posted..Blackberry Oat Muffins

5 Angie January 5, 2011 at 9:47 pm

finally! I meet someone who loves her squid and octopus. Lots of people give me the Eww look when I mention how much I love them!
Angie recently posted..Just Desserts Wednesdays- Lemon Curd Puffs

6 Kayla January 5, 2011 at 9:48 pm

I love your crazy food combinations because they make me feel better about my own ๐Ÿ˜›
Kayla recently posted..Turn It Off

7 Ali January 5, 2011 at 9:49 pm

My sister studied abroad in Spain and the senora she lived with used to serve her octopus all the time. I just couldn’t get over my own image of slimy octopus legs enough to eat them. I do think your lunch combo sounds interesting though, in a good way. ๐Ÿ™‚
Ali recently posted..Skiing

8 Sana January 5, 2011 at 9:49 pm

Please don’t ever stop eating weird food combos!
Sana recently posted..Pizza Face

9 Sarah @ goingongoals January 5, 2011 at 9:53 pm

Congrats! I can’t wait to see everything you do with HLS 2011!

10 Katy (The Singing Runner) January 5, 2011 at 9:56 pm

I love the weird food combinations, but that bag of seafood kind of creeps me out. The picture on it I mean. But then again, almost all of pictures on the frozen seafood bags that Publix sells are a little creepy. Have you seen the shrimp one? My dad will send me picture messages of it. ๐Ÿ™
Katy (The Singing Runner) recently posted..Perfectionist

11 Kristy @ KristyRuns January 5, 2011 at 10:00 pm

Congrats! Looking forward to seeing all the great things that develop in your life! Buckle up! It’s going to be an exciting ride!
Kristy @ KristyRuns recently posted..1-1-11

12 Karla January 5, 2011 at 10:07 pm

This is all so exciting, Meghann! I can’t wait to hear about all of your exciting adventures. Congrats on everything! ๐Ÿ˜‰

PS: That’s a great idea with the nuts on the jellied bagel. Never thought of that!!
Karla recently posted..2010 Wrap Up

13 Christine January 5, 2011 at 10:09 pm

First of all, frozen cookies just might possibly be better than room temp ones.

Secondly, your decision to give two-weeks comes at an interesting time for me. I’ve grown a little frustrated with my job as an English teacher and have always wanted to write a novel (I know, I know, so cliche). While I can’t quit teaching, I admire your “bull by the horns” approach and feel I need to DO something about what I want, like you did. Good luck!
Christine recently posted..Mark Twain is so Pissed Right Now

14 Krystina January 5, 2011 at 10:12 pm

You seem so happy – love it!
Krystina recently posted..Incommunicato

15 Matt @ The Kitchen of a Runner January 5, 2011 at 10:14 pm

Congrats again! I can’t wait to see what happens!
Matt @ The Kitchen of a Runner recently posted..Tips For Running In The Rain

16 kate January 5, 2011 at 10:20 pm

Congrats on your new journeys! It sounds like 2011 will be a fantastic one for you!
kate recently posted..Newburyport

17 Jess-The SemiAbnormal Gal January 5, 2011 at 10:24 pm

First off, congrats on your new life changes!

Secondly, I love that seafood mix. I use it to make my best friend Abigail’s seafood soup, which is basically eggdrop soup plus that frozen mix and some krab. So simple, so fast so amazing. I like this idea of quick and dirty paella though.

18 jenny in new york January 5, 2011 at 10:28 pm

Ok now you have me craving sweet potatoes! Possibly in fry form tomorrow. Yummm

19 Christin@purplebirdblog January 5, 2011 at 10:39 pm

I love a lot about this post, including the following –
1. The visual of you fist pumping.
2. The phrase “pastry droppings.”
3. A giant bag of crazy seafood awesomeness.
4. Frozen cookie most definitely rock! ๐Ÿ™‚
Christin@purplebirdblog recently posted..Sweet Potato Madness

20 Amanda (Eating Up) January 5, 2011 at 10:45 pm

The question is…which beer is worthy of such a celebration?!
Amanda (Eating Up) recently posted..Beer-Cheese Bread

21 Lauren @ Fun, Fit and Fabulous! January 5, 2011 at 11:22 pm

That paella looks delicious. I love sweet potatoes, and I love almond butter even more, so the two together sounds like total Heaven!! I can’t wait to read all about your new adventures!!
Lauren @ Fun, Fit and Fabulous! recently posted..Setting SMART New Years Resolutions!

22 Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) January 6, 2011 at 12:25 am

Enjoy that celebratory brew! ๐Ÿ™‚

And i love slightly my baked goods, cookies, and espi chocolate!
Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) recently posted..Coconut Water- Coconut Fan or Not

23 Laura (Starloz) January 6, 2011 at 12:31 am

woah, home made paella, yum!
Laura (Starloz) recently posted..Simple pleasures

24 Kim January 6, 2011 at 1:57 am

Woooo!! Ill have a celebratory beer for you also ๐Ÿ™‚
Mmm the paella looks yummo!

25 movesnmunchies January 6, 2011 at 2:53 am

good! go celebrate with a beer!!! i must try AB and blue cheese on my sweet potato next time!
movesnmunchies recently posted..Not Just Another Resolutions Post

26 tulip January 6, 2011 at 4:03 am

Yum I never thought of making a paella because I am a useless cook but that looks good!!

27 Jen January 6, 2011 at 6:29 am

Congrats on both announcements!!!!

Jen
Jen recently posted..Ringing in 2011

28 Lauren January 6, 2011 at 6:46 am

I am so excited to hear more about these incredible new endeavors!!! PS- Dinner looks awesome! Almond butter and blue cheese? That’s weird to some? ๐Ÿ™‚
Lauren recently posted..Party Like its a Russian New Year

29 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey January 6, 2011 at 7:25 am

You go celebrate girl!

PS – I heard rumors of HLS2011 – is this true?!
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..creamy tomato soup

30 Hope January 6, 2011 at 7:53 am

Congrats again! Your 2011 is off to a great start! I’ve never tried almond butter on a sweet potato. It sounds interesting. I might have to give it a try!
Hope recently posted..Food Poisioning And BRATโ€ฆ

31 Lindsey January 6, 2011 at 8:11 am

Congratulations on the big career move! I think it’s wonderful that you’ve taken matters into your own hands and are going for what you want! Hope you enjoyed that well deserved beer!
Lindsey recently posted..Random Baby Cuteness

32 Allie January 6, 2011 at 8:22 am

CONGRATS again ๐Ÿ™‚ lunch looks like an interesting combo and I love the pastry crumbs as nuts haha awesome! Paella looks great as well!
Allie recently posted..My life in 30 days- day 17

33 Kara January 6, 2011 at 8:23 am

I’m down with the almond butter and sweet potato, but you lost me with the seafood ๐Ÿ˜› Enjoy the celebrations!
Kara recently posted..Chilly morning run

34 Cyndi @ Weightless Life January 6, 2011 at 9:06 am

Hmmm…I think I would probably like blue cheese on a sweet potato. I wish I had sweet potatoes.
Cyndi @ Weightless Life recently posted..Recipe Time

35 Diana (Run4Life) January 6, 2011 at 9:26 am

Your dinner looks awesome! So does lunch. I’ve been known to put together a few random flavor combinations too. Totally worth the risk! So excited to follow your blog as you go through all these changes. Although, I may be a tad jealous as I read about your fabulous life while I’m stuck at the office ๐Ÿ™‚
Diana (Run4Life) recently posted..18 Miles!

36 Jordan January 6, 2011 at 9:42 am

Congrats on both of your big annoucements! If you need help with your social media company, let me know! ๐Ÿ˜‰ I work in marketing and would love to do something grassroots/help the little guys.
Jordan recently posted..Feeling Kind of Eh

37 Kacy January 6, 2011 at 10:43 am

I love your odd combos. They’re always interesting. I love paella but usually go sans seafood since I’m not a huge fan of crustaceans.

38 Beth @ DiningAndDishing January 6, 2011 at 10:51 am

you are living every bloggers dream Meghann! congrats :).
Beth @ DiningAndDishing recently posted..Oh Crumbsโ€ฆ

39 Katie G (http://justrollwithitblog.blogspot.com) January 7, 2011 at 10:24 am

Now I am craving sweet potato…yum!

Congrats Meagan! When will the date/location be released for the Healthy Living Summit? I would really like to attend, but have to plan ahead ๐Ÿ™‚
Katie G (http://justrollwithitblog.blogspot.com) recently posted..Attention all Gear-heads

40 Katie G (http://justrollwithitblog.blogspot.com) January 7, 2011 at 10:25 am

I totally spelled your name wrong…sorry about that, Meghann.

41 LauraJayne January 7, 2011 at 1:28 pm

Congratulations again! I love reading your blog, and I know you will be super successful!
LauraJayne recently posted..Adventures of the Chubby Sister โ€“ โ€œShake Your Tail Feather!โ€

42 Katy February 18, 2011 at 6:25 pm

Thanks for posting the paella idea! I made some for dinner tonite and its rockin’!!

๐Ÿ™‚