more ยป" />

Jillian Michaels’ Six Week Six Pack Challenge

by Meghann on January 4, 2011

Good Morning! ๐Ÿ™‚

Today is going to be a good day. Canโ€™t you feel it?

I made a decision this morning โ€“ Iโ€™m going to give the Jillian Michaelsโ€™ Six Week Six Pack Challenge a shot. Only Iโ€™m doing it on my own terms with my own rules.

Instead of 5 days a week, my goal will be to complete the 38 minute video 3 times a week. The first three weeks will consist of Part I and the second will be Part II. Itโ€™s long and tedious, so trying to do the video anymore than that would just be setting myself up to fail. Iโ€™m not expecting the promise 6-Pack Abs, but a little toning and a touch of definition would be nice. Really my goal will be just to tighten everything up a bit. ๐Ÿ˜‰

This morning began week one/ day one of the challenge. Iโ€™ll try to get some โ€˜beforeโ€™ photos to share just to see if there really is any comparison at the end. We shall see. ๐Ÿ™‚

Video โ€“> Shower โ€“> Breakfast

IMG_3595

Iโ€™m trying to decide if toast slathered with almond butter and pumpkin then sprinkled with chia seeds actually looks appealing or if if looks like toast slathered with baby food. Thoughts?

IMG_3599

Either way itโ€™s delicious.

Especially with apple slices. ๐Ÿ™‚

IMG_3602

IMG_3603

Anyone take advantage of any fitness challenges this year? What are your goals?

1 Claire January 4, 2011 at 9:47 am

I’m doing the six week ab challenge too!! ๐Ÿ™‚ Good luck!

2 Lauren January 4, 2011 at 9:49 am

I was thinking of doing the same thing! The 5 times a week would be boring(I’ve never made it past level 2 of the Thirty Day Shred) and I need to work on other areas. Ultimate motivation: my wedding is just over 3 months away!!

3 Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun January 4, 2011 at 9:50 am

I will be doing a ton of fitness challenges getting back into shape post-baby. He needs to come out first, but then I plan on working towards many different fitness goals (some old I’ve achieved before and some new) over the year.

– races (a 5K definitely and maybe working towards a half by the end of the year)
– strength training related like doing pull ups, squatting my body weight again
– doing more stretching and yoga
– trying new things like Insanity or TurboFire

I can’t wait! Only a couple weeks left at the most! And we’ll still need to get in that workout together where I handle the weights and you handle the cardio/run. ๐Ÿ˜‰ I will be close to Orlando in June!
Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun recently posted..The Last Day

4 Meghann January 4, 2011 at 10:29 am

Whoa – you are all set up! I want to try insanity and turbofire too!

And Orlando in June! I’ll be here!!

5 Alina @ Duty Free Foodie January 4, 2011 at 11:09 am

I would love to try Insanity and TurboFire as well! I also keep seeing Core Fusion all over the internet – all three seem really fun.
Alina @ Duty Free Foodie recently posted..Pad Thai is Back

6 Natalie @ Will Jog For Food January 4, 2011 at 9:50 am

I’m trying out a Shake Cleanse (3 VERY nutritious shakes, plus 2 fruits and 1 big salad a day) for 3 days to jump start my year. So far so good! Not too hungry and feel energized.

After that, back to eating healthy and working out! I really want to do a half marathon this year. My sis is doing this Disney half this weekend and i’m jealous!
Natalie @ Will Jog For Food recently posted..Shakeology Cleanse &amp GIVEAWAY!

7 Allie January 4, 2011 at 9:50 am

Yummy breakfast!! I like that you are doing the challenge on your own terms, when I try to do stuff like that on a hard schedule I set myself up for failure haha. This year I am trying to do more yoga ๐Ÿ™‚
Allie recently posted..My life in 30 days- day 17

8 allison @ thesundayflog January 4, 2011 at 9:51 am

i am completing my first sprint triathlon this august, so obviously that is my main goal for the year. i have never run a race, and actually haven’t run in about 3 years, so my first goal is the couch to 5k program, which i am doing now, to get me up to speed. i will start swimming in a few weeks casually, and biking outside when the weather gets nice (spinning in the meantime). then official training starts may 1. i am NERVOUS, but i know i can do it! one step at a time, right??
allison @ thesundayflog recently posted..With Luck for the New Year

9 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday January 4, 2011 at 9:51 am

Yeah, I think it’s a bit ridiculous for her to make claims like “Six pack in Six weeks.”
I’m sure that the programme helps strengthen the core, but a six-pack in 6 weeks is a bit of a stretch especially since a six-pack has more to do with the amount of fat in the mid-section than core strength. That fat being very difficult to lose, especially for women.

10 Christina @ ilovefetacheese January 4, 2011 at 10:39 am

I totally agree. I think its mostly diet based. I’ve been doing all the tricks and tips of the fitness industry, lifting heavy weights, and regulating my diet and I still don’t see the glimmer of a 6 pack!

11 Emma (Sweet Tooth Runner) January 4, 2011 at 9:53 am

I’m trying to incorporate more exercise variety, so am going to new exercise classes at least once a month! I went to BodyCombat yesterday, and spin today, both of which were new! Fun! ๐Ÿ™‚
Good luck with the challenge! Can’t wait to see the before and afters! ๐Ÿ˜€
Emma (Sweet Tooth Runner) recently posted..2011 goals and your feedback neeeded!

12 Beth @ Will Run for Books January 4, 2011 at 9:55 am

Yeah…kinda looks like baby food…ew. But I still love pumpkin!
Beth @ Will Run for Books recently posted..Jan &amp Weekly Goals

13 Rachel@ The Skinny Southern Belle January 4, 2011 at 10:02 am

Lol yea it kind of does look like baby food but you know sometimes food isn’t always going to look like it should be on the pages of a mag and is just down right tasty!

2011 is the year I become a runner. I started training for a half last year so I could run the Rock N Roll Half nearest me. It just looks like it would be an amazing first half. Well an old knee injury flared up. So I’m taking it uber slow…first a 5K but May hopefully a 10K…which I would like to be my base for the summer. Then come late August I could start training for the Rock N Roll that is in November. The plan is that I don’t just train for the half but I BECOME a runner. Is this a crazy idea?
Rachel@ The Skinny Southern Belle recently posted..Running straight into the new decade!

14 Gabby (Quest for Delicious) January 4, 2011 at 10:08 am

I definitely want to try my first 5k this year. If I happen to become a runner during the training process, then so be it. (;

15 Lauri January 4, 2011 at 10:08 am

I need to look at that Jillian Michaels workout – is it a DVD?

Goal: half marathon – in fact, signed up for the same one as you (national half in DC) – See you there!
Lauri recently posted..My year in review

16 Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather January 4, 2011 at 10:11 am

I’ll be doing the hood to coast in August which is a relay run. I think I’ll have 3 legs totaling over 15 miles for sure. That’ll be a huge fitness challenge! Can’t wait to hear how your 5 weeks go ๐Ÿ™‚

17 Bobbi January 4, 2011 at 10:16 am

I need to get that DVD!

18 Katy (The Singing Runner) January 4, 2011 at 10:17 am

I want to try one of the Jillian Michael’s videos. I’ve done one of her workouts through Comcast free On Demand. Whew!!!!
Katy (The Singing Runner) recently posted..Perfectionist

19 Nicci January 4, 2011 at 10:24 am

I love Jillians dvd’s and that toast looks delicious!!
Nicci recently posted..Wishing Youโ€ฆ

20 Anna @ History Running Girl January 4, 2011 at 10:24 am

I need to do more strength training! I like that video.

It looks a little baby foody, but nothing terrible.
Anna @ History Running Girl recently posted..December Goal Review

21 Evan Thomas January 4, 2011 at 10:27 am

Your abs are going to have abs by the time Jillian’s through with you.

22 Amanda (Eating Up) January 4, 2011 at 10:28 am

My goal is to run a half marathon with my dad! Hopefully, I have a good place to rain for it. Last year, I was in NYC when I was supposed to be training, and I found it difficult to run :-/
Amanda (Eating Up) recently posted..Beer-Cheese Bread

23 Matt @ The Kitchen of a Runner January 4, 2011 at 10:35 am

Looks like baby food ๐Ÿ˜‰ LOL
Matt @ The Kitchen of a Runner recently posted..Week In Review- 12-27-10-1-2-11

24 K80 January 4, 2011 at 10:46 am

Just in case anyone is interested in “try before you buy” for the JM 6Weeks to 6Pack… I was lucky enough to find the Level 1 workout on ExerciseTV On Demand (Time Warner in Rochester, NY and Comcast in Kansas City, MO).

I even get a little added workout laughing at Jillian sometimes. She always makes it a good time.

25 tulip January 4, 2011 at 10:48 am

I’m going to try the 30 Day Shred. I bought it a year ago, did it for 10mins and have not looked at it since.
tulip recently posted..Sugar Baby

26 Ann January 4, 2011 at 11:07 am

I want to get that DVD! I saw a bunch of Jillian’s at Target yesterday… Maybe I’ll go see if they have it. My fitness goal is to run a half marathon this year. Right now the farthest I’ve run recently (or ever) is 6 miles. I also want to get back into swimming regularly. By the way you slice your apples so perfectly! Haha they are always cut so straight!
Ann recently posted..Part Deux of New Orleans Trip

27 Megan @ AVeryMegGirl January 4, 2011 at 11:07 am

I can’t wait to see the results!! I am coming to Fl in April and would love to have a “six pack” ๐Ÿ™‚

Also I will be in Orlando again as it gets closer I will be e-mailing you and perhaps we can meet for lunch again ๐Ÿ™‚
Megan @ AVeryMegGirl recently posted..First Monday of 2011

28 Natalia - a side of simple January 4, 2011 at 11:16 am

Jillian Michaels is going to own 2011. Looking forward to your review! ps. a lot of my food looks like baby food… be proud ๐Ÿ™‚
Natalia – a side of simple recently posted..i didnโ€™t go to brussels

29 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat January 4, 2011 at 11:24 am

I can’t wait to hear about the 6pack challenge because I’ve been thinking about finding a fitness challenge to participate in and haven’t tried any dvds yet! My fitness goals are now posted on my inspiration board in my room (http://bit.ly/eU32cJ) and include doing more yoga, as well as doing 10 real chin ups. Progress is looking good so far! Have a great day Meghann!
Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat recently posted..2011- Here I Come

30 Kelly January 4, 2011 at 11:25 am

Good luck, knowing her videos, I’m betting it’s intense!
Kelly recently posted..Rookie Mistake

31 Brenna January 4, 2011 at 11:29 am

I am running my first half-marathon – in Paris!! I can’t go to the gym anymore, so I just made a running schedule for myself. It’s coming up March 6!
Brenna recently posted..2010 baby

32 Val @ Balancing Val January 4, 2011 at 11:29 am

Im sure it tasted good . . . but it does look like baby food but sprinkled with pepper! ๐Ÿ™‚
Val @ Balancing Val recently posted..Flipping Emotions

33 Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine January 4, 2011 at 11:31 am

Just more strength training in general is my big fitness goal!! I really, really suck at getting enough in, so anything would be an improvement. How did I miss that she has an ab video now though? I’ll bet it’s a killer!!
Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine recently posted..Foiled

34 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) January 4, 2011 at 11:36 am

I think it looks good, but anything with pumpkin looks good ๐Ÿ™‚
Kate (What Kate is Cooking) recently posted..2010 Goals- A Look Back

35 Claire January 4, 2011 at 11:39 am

Part one of 6 weeks 6 pack is on demand right now, under exercise t.v., fyi.

36 Rachel January 4, 2011 at 11:45 am

I’d love to get into an ab workout video. That sounds like a great challenge!

And I have ALWAYS thought pumpkin looked like baby food, but thats never stopped me from eating the whole can!
Rachel recently posted..45 minutes

37 Tiff January 4, 2011 at 11:49 am

I am going to try my darndest to do the 6 week 6 pack dvd 5 times a week. My trouble area is my love handles. So, the extra ab work is MUCH needed. I also plan on running 1 half marathon in April, 1 in May and 1 in October. Those are the for sure races. Hoping I can round out the year with a Rock n Roll full marathon ๐Ÿ™‚

My ultimate goal is to get to my goal weight and be fit enough so that next year I can tackle 12 half marathons(1 a month) with a couple of fulls in there ๐Ÿ™‚

Good luck on your year this year ๐Ÿ™‚

38 Lindsey January 4, 2011 at 12:11 pm

My boyfriend and I are considering doing p90x together! If we don’t do that, then we’re definitely making a gym routine to incorporate more cardio and strength training!
Lindsey recently posted..Happy New Year!

39 Katherine: Unemployed January 4, 2011 at 12:15 pm

I’ve done that video and it’s good! I think ‘video challenges’ are relatively pointless to follow their single-disc system because you run out of workouts and keep doing the same muscle groups
Katherine: Unemployed recently posted..Ozzy and Sharon Ozborne

40 Marg January 4, 2011 at 12:27 pm

I want to run a 5K and get more into pilates. I would like to find a challenge I can stick to, but not sure yet which one.

41 Christin@purplebirdblog January 4, 2011 at 12:28 pm

So many delicious foods look like dog barf and baby poop. ๐Ÿ™‚
Christin@purplebirdblog recently posted..Musing on Misspellings

42 melissa January 4, 2011 at 12:40 pm

I have the video and haven’t had a chance to try it yet. I think I will join your challenge..eeek!

Also, my guess at your surprise…
-leaving your job to blog full time
-new job
-moving in with derek in one of your respective cities

43 Katie O January 4, 2011 at 12:45 pm

I have been doing the 100 pushup challenge for the way longer then the 6 weeks it is supposed to take. I am determined to finish! It’s a little frustrating but I have definitely seen more definition in my arms. I suggest it.
Katie O recently posted..Feelin the burnโ€ฆ Heart burn

44 Clare @ Fitting It All In January 4, 2011 at 12:52 pm

I was thinking of getting into some Ab challenge or routine. lately my 10 minute pilates isn’t working for me, so I’m really curious to see what you think of the 6-pack abs thing!
Clare @ Fitting It All In recently posted..Snow Bowl 2010

45 Kara January 4, 2011 at 12:56 pm

Gotta tell ya, that does look like baby food on toast. Except for the chia seed part. ๐Ÿ™‚

Is the workout 38 min of just abs? Is it interesting or boring? I can’t imagine doing abs for 38 min!
Kara recently posted..Chilly morning run

46 Kacy January 4, 2011 at 12:59 pm

Can’t wait to see how it goes!
Kacy recently posted..Bye bye sparkle

47 Lew (ashandlewplus2.com) January 4, 2011 at 1:10 pm

What is a Chia seed??? We have some Sweet Potato baby food that looks like what you put on your bread today.. just throwing it out there.

As for Challenges

#1 Fit Bloogers Challenge, I am on team HEAB, it is a six week challenge with other bloggers for charity.

#2 Run a Half Marathon with my wife, step by step the whole way together

#3 Lose 58LBS by Aug 18

#4 Run a Full Marathon in the fall, maybe in Florida

#5 Be the Best Dad and Husband possible!!!
Lew (ashandlewplus2.com) recently posted..Fit Blogger Challenge Day 1

48 Jess@atasteofconfidence January 4, 2011 at 1:25 pm

I love Jillian Michaels videos- but I agree, 5 times a week is just a bit too much. Let us know how it goes!
Jess@atasteofconfidence recently posted..Favorites of 2010

49 Laura @ Starting Out Fit January 4, 2011 at 1:41 pm

I’m very interested to see how you like this challenge! I’ve been thinking about purchasing that dvd lately. 3 months until my beach wedding!! ๐Ÿ˜‰

50 Sarah (Sarah Learns) January 4, 2011 at 2:59 pm

i really want to run my first race in 2011 – i’m thinking a 5k! also, i plan to do some toning up before my wedding in august. maybe the 30 day shred?

51 Jessica @ The Process of Healing January 4, 2011 at 3:14 pm

I really want that video but I know that a lot of hers involve a lot of jumping around and explosive movements, which I can’t do due to a stress fracture. Is this one like that?

52 Catie January 4, 2011 at 3:47 pm

My boyfriend challenged me to do the 30 day shred 4 days a week, 10 days on each level. Once I finish this challenge (which I will of course haha) he is giving me a gift card to my favorite store. And then I start my next challenge next week!

53 Ali January 4, 2011 at 3:56 pm

I definitely think it looks like baby food. But I bet it tastes good. ๐Ÿ™‚ One of my fitness goals for this year is to run 2 marathons and get faster for each one. I ran my first last year and am officially hooked.
Ali recently posted..Skiing

54 Kelly January 4, 2011 at 5:38 pm

I had a fitness goal to work out every day in Jan. for at least 30 minutes, but didn’t take into account the fact that I might get sick. I’m running the Disney marathon on Sunday so that takes priority.
Kelly recently posted..Deceivingly vegetarian

55 Lauren January 4, 2011 at 8:01 pm

I love this workout. Only, I only ever have time to do the 1st half of workout one. Someday, I’ll give the full 38 min a go, but I also think spending more than 20 min on abs is kinda monotonous.
Lauren recently posted..Party Like its a Russian New Year

56 Allison January 4, 2011 at 8:05 pm

I have way too many fitness challenges this year! I want to beat my first 5K PR and run a 10K and a Half Marathon, as well as improve my yoga so I can attend my gym’s Flow Yoga 3 class with pride!
Allison recently posted..Vegan Challenge- Days 2 and 3

57 Lauren @ Fun, Fit and Fabulous! January 4, 2011 at 8:58 pm

I’m doing a 21 day yoga challenge starting January 10th and I’m super excited! Good luck with Jillisn!!
Lauren @ Fun, Fit and Fabulous! recently posted..Setting SMART New Years Resolutions!

58 Maryann January 4, 2011 at 10:20 pm

No fitness challenge for me but the six weeks six pack challenge is one I would be up for!
Maryann recently posted..Back to the Norm

59 bigcitybabycarrots January 5, 2011 at 12:25 pm

The 6 week ab challenging sounds interesting. Is it just a DVD or is it a challenge posted somewhere?

60 Lacey @ Lake Life January 5, 2011 at 8:05 pm

The toast is definitely not visually appealing, but that doesn’t matter as long as it tastes good! (Case in point: guacamole. Lol.)
Lacey @ Lake Life recently posted..In here- itโ€™s always Friday

61 Russ Egan January 7, 2011 at 10:49 pm

Good luck with the challenge. It will be a lot of hard work, but the rewards are definetly worth it.
Russ Egan recently posted..Overtraining โ€“ Why Rest is Just as Important as Training