Disney Marathon Tips

by Meghann on January 3, 2011

Where did this day go?

One minute it’s early morning and the next it’s close to 10:00 and I have to be up in 8 hour and 19 minutes (thanks Droid!).

I had every intention of going to Dance Trance this evening (I’m dying to try it out!), but ended up working late and missing the 6:00pm class. Boo.

It did give me extra time to create a killer meal though.

Apple Chicken Sausage was buy one get one free at Publix this week. Apple Chicken Sausage holds a special place in my heart and is quite honestly one of my favorite pieces of meat. I think it’s because it has the sweet and savory element to it that I’m a bit obsessed with.

Tonight’s dinner base consisted of sauteed kale with balsamic vinegar, onions, and garlic. On top of the grilled sausage – a squeeze of ketchup. Perfection.

Nothing goes better with sausage than sweet potato fries and ketchup.

And cornbread.

Ok, the cornbread was random, but it worked. 😉

I pulled out the Dark Chocolate Covered Peppermint Jo Jo (that’s a mouth full!) for dessert and paired it with a Christmas Stocking Chocolate. : )

Running the Disney Marathon or Half Marathon this weekend?

Check out my guest post at Central Florida Top 5 today!

Screen shot 2011-01-03 at 10.13.43 PM.png

After volunteering for the race in 2009 and running it in 2010 – I had more than a few tips to share. 🙂

1 Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine January 3, 2011 at 10:21 pm

Those Jo Jos are AMAZING. Have you had the gingerbread flavor? I die.
Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine recently posted..Foiled

2 Jessica @ The Process of Healing January 3, 2011 at 10:24 pm

Apple chicken sausages are AMAZING!! I’m a sucker for anything sweet/savory too 🙂
And i’m going to check out your tips..once I can run again after healing from this year-long (and still counting) stress fracture, a marathon is on my to-do list. And the Disney Marathon? Um, my dream.
Jessica @ The Process of Healing recently posted..2010

3 Angela January 3, 2011 at 10:28 pm

I hate how the driod will taunt me with how much sleep I won’t be getting when I set my alarm! Off to get my 7 hours and 41 mins!
Angela recently posted..Cinnamon Play dough Ornaments

4 Heather January 3, 2011 at 10:28 pm

I am running the full, my first full! I ran the half as my first half last year so it seemed fitting!
Heather recently posted..De-Stress

5 Natalie January 3, 2011 at 10:40 pm

I love chicken apple sausages too!!

6 Kristy @ KristyRuns January 3, 2011 at 10:43 pm

What the heck are Jo Jos? And how have I not tried them?

I also have a Droid. Setting my alarm for the next morning is always so depressing…
Kristy @ KristyRuns recently posted..1-1-11

7 Maryann January 3, 2011 at 10:45 pm

The meal looks so simple and delicious! Im excited to hear about your dance trance experience when you do get to try it 🙂
Maryann recently posted..Back to the Norm

8 Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) January 3, 2011 at 10:53 pm

that is so cool that you wrote that article! you’re in the big leagues girl!

i ran a half marathon w/ my hubs thru disney about 7 yrs ago. it was one of the best races of my life…and our running life together. It truly was a magical run. Just everything fell into place. Just one of those runs. I wonder if “The Happiest Place on Earth”, i.e. disney had something to do with that? Yes, probably 🙂
Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) recently posted..Rain Damage- Heater was Out- Mother Natures Power

9 Julie @ Wearing Mascara January 3, 2011 at 11:00 pm

Ever since you I saw TJ jo-jo’s on your blog, I’ve been coveting them. Then in December I bought a box and holllllly crap. They are amazing! Did you see that Girl Scout cookies are being sold now? My co-worker brought in an order form. Thin Mints here we come!
Julie @ Wearing Mascara recently posted..60-Day Bikram Yoga Challenge and Fundraiser

10 Katy (The Singing Runner) January 3, 2011 at 11:11 pm

Thanks for the tips!!!! I’m running the half on Saturday! It’s my first half- marathon so I’m SUPER excited! I can’t think of much else!
Katy (The Singing Runner) recently posted..Perfectionist

11 Allison @ PickyEatingRD January 3, 2011 at 11:13 pm

Great tips!!! My sis was supposed to be running it but ended up with a stress fracture ( tear ).
Allison @ PickyEatingRD recently posted..I Resolute…Ugh That Term Drives Me Crazzzzyyyy

12 Maggie @ Say Yes to Salad January 3, 2011 at 11:31 pm

Pretty sure ketchup goes with almost anything 😉
Maggie @ Say Yes to Salad recently posted..Back to My Shoots Err- Roots

13 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) January 3, 2011 at 11:44 pm

I thought that race would be fun to run until I read everyone’s recaps! I would die if it was that cold. You did great despite the elements 🙂
Kate (What Kate is Cooking) recently posted..2010 Goals- A Look Back

14 Rachel January 3, 2011 at 11:55 pm

My favorite thing about you’re blog is your nightly desserts! Jojo’s were my fav before being gluten free!
Rachel recently posted..45 minutes

15 ezzie January 3, 2011 at 11:55 pm

I’ve never tried apple chicken sausages, but I did try applewood smoked ham once and it was fabulous. 😀
ezzie recently posted..Late New Year’s Post

16 Allie January 4, 2011 at 12:01 am

That sounds like such a great marathon. I really wish I could run that one.

17 Ashley January 4, 2011 at 12:05 am

I’m not running any marathons in the near future but I will definitely keep those tips in mind for the future. I would love to run the disney marathon some day.
Ashley recently posted..Scandalous- Black Swan

18 Christin@purplebirdblog January 4, 2011 at 12:36 am

I pout at your Jo-Jos. No TJ’s round these here parts!
Christin@purplebirdblog recently posted..Musing on Misspellings

19 Sana January 4, 2011 at 1:01 am

I have heard soo much about dance trance- i am jealous that you are going to take a class!
Sana recently posted..Struggles

20 allie January 4, 2011 at 6:09 am

I would love to do Disney. Great post

21 Bria January 4, 2011 at 7:33 am

Apple chicken sausage? I wonder if we have that in Canada – sounds delicious!
Bria recently posted..Sports Nutrition 101

22 Matt @ The Kitchen of a Runner January 4, 2011 at 7:55 am

I LOVE chicken sausage too! Applegate Farms is the best!
Matt @ The Kitchen of a Runner recently posted..Return To The Pool

23 Renee at Applegate January 5, 2011 at 8:46 am

We have 5 lovely chicken varieties, have you guys tried all of them? There’s Spinach & Feta, Sweet Italian, Fire Roasted Red Pepper, Andouille and Chicken & Apple. All the varieties are organic! Check them out: http://www.applegatefarms.com/hotdogs_sausage.aspx. Have a good one, Renee and the Applegate Crew

24 Hope January 4, 2011 at 8:05 am

I’ve never had apple chicken sausage before. It sounds good though! I love sweet potato fries! Yum! What a delicious looking dinner.
Hope recently posted..Food Poisioning And BRAT…

25 Renee at Applegate January 5, 2011 at 10:27 am

Hey Hope! The Applegate Chicken & Apple Organic Sausage is my favorite, watch out, they are seriously addicting! p.s. I love sweet potato fries too, preferably dipped in honey mustard sauce, ketchup, or even guacamole!

26 Lew (ashandlewplus2.com) January 4, 2011 at 8:20 am

Ketcup on your sausage. I am not sure what to say.. I but it would be good just have never tried it. Did you try the Saags Chicken Sausage while we were at the foodbuzz festival. I feel in love with them and they sent me some more to try. (http://ashandlewplus2.com/2010/12/31/day-of-indulgence/) I love it and am glad to have a healthy alternative. Have a wonderful day
Lew
Lew (ashandlewplus2.com) recently posted..Fit Blogger Challenge Day 1

27 Kacy January 4, 2011 at 9:16 am

I want to run Disney next year, I’ll have to check that out! Thanks!

28 Kara January 4, 2011 at 12:58 pm

I adore chicken sausage too, it’s such an easy dinner! Plus, it’s one of those foods you can feed to a guy and they don’t even know it’s healthy (since my husband isn’t a big fan of anything healthy)
Kara recently posted..Chilly morning run

29 jen at chocolateandginger January 4, 2011 at 1:00 pm

Hey, I just did my first jillian michaels abs workout yesterday (got it on sale at the bookstore over the holidays) I think i’ll just be doing it 3x a week challenge too, 5 seems excessive and i can see it getting boring doing it that many times a week for that period of time.

30 Doc (The Healthy PhD) January 4, 2011 at 2:12 pm

I had to move all of my workouts to the morning because work kept making me miss classes, so I feel your pain! Unfortunately, I also find that many of the ‘fun’ classes are only offered ‘prime-time’ – and I’m stuck with 5:30am spinning and body pump-type classes.

You are my AM-workout hero, btw. I’m like ‘If Meghann can do it, I can do it!’

31 Ali January 4, 2011 at 4:15 pm

That Apple Chicken Sausage looks so delicious! I’ve never had that before but I may need to be on the lookout for something like it. Also– I loved that post on the Disney Marathon tips. I have it bookmarked on my computer now for one day when I decide I will finally brave the thought of training during the cold winter months. 😉
Ali recently posted..Skiing

32 Amy January 4, 2011 at 9:29 pm

I might need to add the Disney half marathon (is that the Princess one? I want to wear a tutu) to my bucket list. It just seems so fun!
Amy recently posted..a new year!

33 Victoria January 5, 2011 at 10:03 am

Hey! Thanks for the Disney Marathon tips. I have family coming in to see me run and I’m passing these tips along to them.

Have any tips for beating the post-Marathon blues that everyone says are coming to me? 🙂