Juicing

by Meghann on January 1, 2011

Great news!

Derek found a new gaming computer! Apparently, it has the ultimate processor, graphics card, memory, ram, blah, blah, blah... you know – all the important stuff. ;)

Even better news!

I finally broke out the new juicer Santa brought me this afternoon.

The juicer itself was really easy to put together. It came out of the box in one piece and after a quick rinse, everything was good to go.

IMG_3418.jpg

I didn’t have a specific recipe in mind for my first try. Instead I went with what I thought would work:

• 2 Apples
  • 3 Beets
  • 1 Lemon
  • Piece of GInger

So close, yet so far!

IMG_3427.jpg

One lemon ended up being too much in this ratio and the drink was very, very tart. Next time I would halve the lemon and add more ginger. Practice makes perfect. :)

Derek and I had dinner plans tonight with my little brother and his fiance.

We took them to one of my favorite restaurants: Seasons 52.

Actually, the original plan was to go to a cute, authentic Italian place for dinner, but it was closed for New Years. Boo.

Our table started with the eggplant parmesan flatbread.

The flatbread was topped with eggplant, basil and feta cheese. I thought the feta was an interested choice when paired with eggplant parmesan, but it worked.

For my entree I went with the Farmer’s Market Vegetable Plate.

This one is an oldie, but a goodie. A plate piled high with fresh, seasonal vegetables, tofu and tabouli, what’s not to love?

Last – but not least! – Dessert!

Mini indulgence Pecan Pie. Mmmm…. :)

Now, we’re watching a marathon of Dexter! We’re halfway through season 4 and I’m on the edge of my seat – love this show!

1 Sana January 1, 2011 at 10:17 pm

Atleast the color of the juice looked pretty!!!
Sana recently posted..Welcome to My Day

2 Vanessa January 1, 2011 at 10:19 pm

Juicers are so fun!! Last summer I messed around with one and came up with the oddest combos!! That veggie plate looks good. I’ve been craving vegetables!
Vanessa recently posted..Favorites of 2010

3 Katy (The Singing Runner) January 1, 2011 at 10:21 pm

Looks so amazing!!! And I love the little dessert! ;)
Katy (The Singing Runner) recently posted..Perfectionist

4 Amanda (Eating Up) January 1, 2011 at 10:21 pm

Haha I love that–a gaming computer! Boys are silly…but so are girls.
Amanda (Eating Up) recently posted..Suggestive Life Guidelines for 2011

5 Ashley January 1, 2011 at 10:26 pm

I’ve definitely been thinking about getting a juicer, but not sure I can spend even more on my food right now…hehe :) Happppy New Year!

6 Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun January 1, 2011 at 10:31 pm

I’ve only been to Seasons 52 once and loved it. Such great variety and everything was so flavorful. Looks like a fun night!
Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun recently posted..The Last Day

7 Kristina @ spabettie January 1, 2011 at 10:36 pm

Jason has a computer dedicated to games also. Another one for music production.

YUM juice!! I have a similar juicer, and LOVE it. I juiced TWICE today!

HAPPY NEW YEAR !!
Kristina @ spabettie recently posted..Jason’s chili

8 Maddi January 1, 2011 at 10:45 pm

I AM SOOOO JEALOUS!!! A friend of mine has a juicer, not nearly as nice as yours, and its AWESOME! haha, enjoy lots of good juices for meeeee! ;)
Maddi

9 jessica January 1, 2011 at 10:55 pm

Ahh dexter is my favorite! I watched all 5 seasons in a week and a half because I had to know what happened next! Have a great night :)

10 Cynthia January 1, 2011 at 10:58 pm

Mmm . . . I love Seasons 52! The Pecan Pie mini indulgence is one of my favorites. So good.
Cynthia recently posted..Happy New Year!

11 Becky January 1, 2011 at 10:58 pm

Oh man, Season 4 is intense!!!!! And very well done. Happy new year!!

12 Heather January 1, 2011 at 11:01 pm

I have a juicer but don’t use it enough – perhaps in the new year! I need to buy more veggies/fruits next time I am at the grocery store.

I have never watched Dexter but my co-worker loves it – perhaps this summer I can watch a marathon on DVD…
Heather recently posted..Started with a Salad

13 Gabby (Quest for Delicious) January 1, 2011 at 11:06 pm

The color of that juice is amazing. That flatbread and vegetable plate sound right up my alley. :)
Gabby (Quest for Delicious) recently posted..Happy New Year!

14 Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) January 1, 2011 at 11:11 pm

practice does make perfect with juicing…

all kinds of recipes call for celery. i happen to think the tiniest bit overpowers everything and some people think the same about ginger; it’s so individual, isn’t it!

HAVE FUN with it! And enjoy all that pulp…great for making raw vegan cookies & pancakes :)
Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) recently posted..New Years Day- New Camera- New Pictures- New Hobbies

15 Maryann January 1, 2011 at 11:26 pm

Ive heard good things about Dexter! Need to start watching it soon…maybe after I finish True Blood :)
Maryann recently posted..Food and Fun

16 Jes (Self Motivation) January 1, 2011 at 11:47 pm

I love Dexter!!!
Jes (Self Motivation) recently posted..A review of my 2010

17 Conni January 1, 2011 at 11:59 pm

1. I LOVE DEXTER!!!!! I’m so happy you do too…makes me love you even more.
2. I’m trying my first green juice tomorrow…..I’ll have to use a blender not a fancy VitaMix or juicer, but I’m excited.
3. Your brother and his fiancée are ADORABLE together.

18 kathleen January 2, 2011 at 12:08 am

was the juice pulp easy to clean after making juice? what does derek play? my husband loves call of duty.
kathleen recently posted..First postpartum workout

19 Nikki T January 2, 2011 at 12:10 am

OMG! I just finished episode 11, but I’m too tired to watch the last one tonight…SO good!!
Need.Season.5.ASAP!

Enjoy! :)

20 ezzie January 2, 2011 at 12:19 am

Once I tried juicing beets& apples, but my cheapo magic bullet juicer decided to not work right then and there. Even after finally getting a cup of juice out of it, it tasted terrible :P
Oh, and that flatbread looks delicious!!

21 Christin@purplebirdblog January 2, 2011 at 1:01 am

I have always wanted a juicer! I look forward to watching you perfect juice recipes! :)
Christin@purplebirdblog recently posted..Dough Balls by Accident

22 Heather January 2, 2011 at 1:41 am

I love Dexter! I had a season 4 marathon today as well, and just finished! It is by far my favorite season… so intense! :)

23 Susan @ Saucy Living January 2, 2011 at 1:59 am

Just wanted to chime in and say that Dexter season 4 was some of the most intense, heart-stopping television I’ve ever watched! Season 5 was pretty good too, especially towards the end.

Happy New Year! :-)

24 movesnmunchies January 2, 2011 at 3:58 am

GAH that mini pecan pie looks DERRISH! and i love juicers! my friend has one and i ALWAYS make some when I come over- its so fun to try new combos!
movesnmunchies recently posted..Not Just Another Resolutions Post

25 Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine January 2, 2011 at 7:28 am

Love Seasons 52!! This reminds me that I need to make my parents take me there while I’m still on break :)
Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine recently posted..Foiled

26 Allie January 2, 2011 at 8:04 am

Mmm, I’ve always wanted to try a juicer. I have only thought of doing simple 1 or two fruit/veggie juices. Beets make it look so yummy though :) I bet you could find juice cook books or websites for recipes too! Dinner looked great, especially cause you were with family and friends :D happy new years!
Allie recently posted..My life in 30 days- day 15

27 Emma (Sweet Tooth Runner) January 2, 2011 at 8:32 am

Well even if the juice didn’t taste so good, it sure looks pretty! :)
I’d love a juicer…I’m so jealous!
Emma (Sweet Tooth Runner) recently posted..2011 goals and your feedback neeeded!

28 Alicia at Poise in Parma January 2, 2011 at 8:36 am

I just made reservations for Seasons 52 on Friday night – we’re going so I can fuel up for the big WDW half the next morning! I’m giddy about getting down to your neck of the woods!!!!
Alicia at Poise in Parma recently posted..How I’ll Find Happiness in 2011

29 michelle January 2, 2011 at 8:57 am

I LOVE DEXTER!!! That show is sooooooo good and has such good story lines.

30 Lindsey January 2, 2011 at 9:23 am

I’m excited to see what you create with that juicer– I find them a bit intimidating for some reason. Enjoy Dexter, my husband and I are totally hoooked on that show!
Lindsey recently posted..A trip to Storkvision

31 Kjirsten- Balanced Healthy Life January 2, 2011 at 9:43 am

I love Dexter! Season 4 was SOOOO good! What would you rate your juicer? I’m looking for one and don’t know which to buy!

32 Biz January 2, 2011 at 9:52 am

Pretty sure that dessert is insulin worthy! My SIL was in charge of desserts at Christmas – pecan pie is one of my family’s favorite and we were all excited when she said she was bringing one. Until I opened the box and realized she bought peach pie instead – such a bummer! (but still actually pretty good!)
Biz recently posted..New Year- New You!

33 Matt January 2, 2011 at 9:54 am

I still have yet to watch Dexter! I have heard good things, so I will give it a shot ;)
Matt recently posted..Chili-Garlic Rubbed Swordfish

34 Megan January 2, 2011 at 9:57 am

Love Seasons 52! I’ve only been twice but the Veg Plate has been my no brainer choice both times. Last time I went was Nov and I couldn’t get over the butternut squash and tabbouleh. I had to recreate the tabbouleh when I got home! http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=10000000630098
They should really consider opening one here in Wisconsin!

35 Lee January 2, 2011 at 10:05 am

I find that a lemon is way too tart in my juice too. I usually leave it out altogether.

I am not so patiently waiting for Season 5 of Dexter to be out on DVD. We finished Season 4 a few months ago but don’t have Showtime.
Lee recently posted..Hometown Tourist

36 Courtney @ Sweet Tooth, Sweet Life January 2, 2011 at 10:32 am

I’ve seen this Seasons 52 quite a few times in blog land and it always looks and sounds so good! I wish there was one up here in NY. :)
Courtney @ Sweet Tooth, Sweet Life recently posted..One Year Ago Today… “Our Wedding Video”

37 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday January 2, 2011 at 10:35 am

How do they get the pie into the shot glass?

38 Food & Other Things January 2, 2011 at 10:42 am

Love Seasons 52 and their tiny desserts! I’m so jealous of your juicer, I’ve always wanted one!

39 Trish January 2, 2011 at 11:47 am

I would love to know if the juicer was easy to clean. I had one before but only used it a couple of times becuase it was such a project to clean.

40 Jessi @ Quirky Cookery January 2, 2011 at 12:45 pm

Ooo, grats on Derek’s new gaming computer. That’s a must. :D

Santa brought me a juicer attachment for my KitchenAid, so I’m looking forward to seeing you post some of your juicing experiments.
Jessi @ Quirky Cookery recently posted..The Cheeseburger Cocktail – Classiest bar food ever

41 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) January 2, 2011 at 1:24 pm

I want a juicer so badly! There’s a Seasons 52 near me and I still haven’t been. Your meal looks great!
Kate (What Kate is Cooking) recently posted..2010 Goals- A Look Back

42 Tori @ FIToriBLOG.com January 2, 2011 at 5:43 pm

That flatbread pizza looks amazing!!!
Tori @ FIToriBLOG.com recently posted..2011 Goals

43 BroccoliHut January 2, 2011 at 9:26 pm

Haha, Dexter is a favorite of Seth’s and mine too–so addictive!
BroccoliHut recently posted..2010 in 10