Say Yes (Maybe) to The Dress

by Meghann on December 31, 2010

I have a feeling my brother’s upcoming wedding is going to be a lot of firsts for me.

The first time I’ve been with the guy as he purchased the ring…. the first time I’ve seen anyone propose…. the first time I was asked to be a bridesmaid

And this morning was the first time I’ve ever been dress shopping with a bride!

The closest I’ve ever come to bridal dress shopping in the past has been watching marathons of ‘Say Yes to the Dress,’ so I wasn’t 100% sure what to expect. Every little girl dreams of what their future dress will be and everyone’s dreams are so different! Ashley has been a very laid back bride and every dress looked GORGEOUS on her. The whole adventure was exciting, fun, and one big learning experience for future trips.

The plan was to meet at Ashley parents’ place at 10:30 this morning. Since Josh’s girlfriend Adena came in town late last night – after spending the holidays in Hawaii (JEALOUS!) – I opted to head to Titusville early and have breakfast at my parents to play catch up with everyone.

Dad made a beautiful spread of everyone’s favorites including homemade, straight from the oven biscuits.

I went a little crazy piling my plate high with a little bit of everything.

Eggs, potatoes, bacon, fried apples, and a biscuit with homemade grape jelly.

Definitely worth the early morning drive. :)

Ashely played it smart and had read reviews of local bridal shops via google the night before. She had found one shop with 100% positive reviews and we took a chance by showing up appointment free.

Luckily, they had an appointment open and were happy to show us around. Ashley showed the consultant some samples of what she liked and a sense of budget. From there the consultant pulled some samples of what she thought Ashley would like and gave us free reign of the store to see if there was anything we liked.

IMG_3190.jpg

I liked how the wedding dresses were labeled with cutouts of what the dresses look like on models. It’s near impossible to decide if you like a dress or not based on what it looks like on the hanger.

IMG_3183.jpg

Ashley tried on at least a dozen dresses. This was her first dress outing, so the goal was to simply get a feel for what style and cut she was looking for.

We didn’t walk away with any dresses, but there was one particular dress that we all fell in love with. I believe it’s in the back of all our minds marinating as a real contender, but there’s still plenty of time to see what else is out there. ;)

Several hours of dress shopping later (time flies when you’re having fun) Sherry offered to treat us all to lunch at Tijuana Flats. (THANKS SHERRY!!)

I ordered the dos bean tacos with the works.

One hard and one soft just to mix it up a little bit.

When I got home I had a juicy orange.

TIme to get all snazzy…. It’s New Years Eve and I’ve have a party to get to!

HAPPY NEW YEARS!!!!!!

1 Christin@purplebirdblog December 31, 2010 at 5:14 pm

Wedding dress shopping can be so fun! It’s awesome that she’s so laid back about the experience! I too have some primping to attend to for this evening. Happy new year!! :)
Christin@purplebirdblog recently posted..FF- A Review of 2010

2 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) December 31, 2010 at 5:16 pm

I can’t wait til my friends start getting married so I can do stuff like this :)
Kate (What Kate is Cooking) recently posted..2010 Goals- A Look Back

3 Dori December 31, 2010 at 5:20 pm

Fun day! Those tacos look so great, I love Mexican. Have fun tonight, happy new year (I think I commented that three times to you now).
Dori recently posted..2010 DSB Year in Review

4 Sana December 31, 2010 at 5:23 pm

Ashley does look pretty!!!! I am sure you guys have already picked a winner!

Happy new year!
Sana recently posted..Welcome to My Day

5 Katy (The Singing Runner) December 31, 2010 at 5:24 pm

How fun!!! :) I can’t wait till I get to go wedding dress shopping… need to find myself a guy first. ;)
Katy (The Singing Runner) recently posted..Perfectionist

6 Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine December 31, 2010 at 5:29 pm

Wedding dress shopping always warms my heart…Ashley must be so excited!! Happy new year’s to all of you!!
Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine recently posted..Foiled

7 Matt @ The Kitchen of a Runner December 31, 2010 at 5:38 pm

Be still my (Southern) beating heart…

That breakfast looks amazing!

Happy New Year!
Matt @ The Kitchen of a Runner recently posted..A Little Creepy…

8 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday December 31, 2010 at 5:38 pm

I absolutely hate dress shopping.

That said, shopping for a wedding dress was pretty damn awesome! All the dresses look good on pretty much any body type. Honestly, I liked everything that I tried on and sometimes I would see a girl half my size or twice my size try on the same dress and look just as good. Seriously. All dresses should be made as well as wedding dresses (with a lower price tag, of course)

9 michelle December 31, 2010 at 5:46 pm

Ooooo wedding dress shopping looks so fun! My wedding was at a little chapel in tank tops and shorts in Hawaii so no dress for me.
michelle recently posted..How is it almost 2011!

10 Stephanie December 31, 2010 at 5:51 pm

She’s definitely going to be a gorgeous bride. When I got married, everyone else was so freaked out because I put off dress shooping for months. I ended up buying the third dress I tried on…didn’t even get it altered. I’m so not a fashionista lol.

11 Krystina December 31, 2010 at 5:52 pm

Have fun tonight! It will definitely be a fun night for sure. :D
Krystina recently posted..Au Revoir Snow

12 Kristy @ KristyRuns December 31, 2010 at 5:56 pm

She’s going to be a beautiful bride!!!

FYI: If she’s on a budget, J. Crew has the most amazing dresses! :)

13 Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) December 31, 2010 at 7:15 pm

Dress Shopping…oh I have been w/ plenty of girls. It’s such a daunting task!

I got married in Vegas 10 yrs ago. Our entire wedding package cost $199 and my dress was a hot pink minidress from Betsey Johnson that I picked up that afternoon. And who said Vegas weddings with hot pink dresses don’t last :)
Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) recently posted..Happy New Years Eve- Popular Posts- Updating Pages &amp Tabs

14 ezzie December 31, 2010 at 7:52 pm

Homemade biscuits? Yum!
And dress shopping? Funn! :)
ezzie recently posted..Pumpkins to Popcorn

15 Kaitlin December 31, 2010 at 8:12 pm

How fun! It’s my first time being a bridesmaid too– I wish I could have been there for dress shopping! Happy new year!

16 Katie @ Healthy Heddleston December 31, 2010 at 10:51 pm

When is the big day!?

17 Nikky January 1, 2011 at 1:10 am

Yay wedding dress shopping:) That sounds like fun!
Happy New Year girl…love your blog!!! Can I just confess how much I love your blog? I really love it…it has help me through a lot this year!

18 jassy January 1, 2011 at 5:04 am

your sis in law is pretty :)

you have a very eventful 2010…looking forwward to reading your blog :)
jassy recently posted..2011

19 kelly January 1, 2011 at 9:47 am

This is so random, but I’ve been to that bridal shop! In Melbourne, right? My friend used to live there and I went down there on vacation w/another friend who was newly engaged, so we went there and she tried on a billion dresses.. and we sat in those chairs! lol. Small world :)
kelly recently posted..Top 20 Posts of 2010

20 Biz January 1, 2011 at 10:41 am

Happy New Year Meghann! I love this comment you left on my blog two years ago – you’ve come a long way!!

Meghann says:
January 2, 2009 at 3:31 pm (Edit)

A realistic goal for me for January would be to go out on a date. I know that sounds kind of pathetic, but all I am asking for is one date and I don’t even care if it leads anywhere, I just need to get out of the house…lol….
Biz recently posted..New Year- New You!

21 BroccoliHut January 1, 2011 at 10:05 pm

Dress shopping is SO much fun! I was a maid of honor for both my older sisters’ weddings, and I had a blast on those trips. I always wanted to try them on for myself though…someday!
BroccoliHut recently posted..2010 in 10