more ยป" />

An Afternoon With My Favorite Monican

by Meghann on December 30, 2010

Gotta love company wide e-mails that begin with “Our office will be closing at noon today” and end with “See ya in 2011!”

Well done, Mr. Bossman. Well done.

Good news too because I had plans this afternoon. Big plans with this lovely lady.

IMG_3089.jpg

Monica (my former Chicago running buddy and Foodbuzz Festival roommate) is in the area visiting family with her husband this week and was kind enough to make a special trip to Orlando to have lunch with Derek and me.

I love Monica. She’s just as hilarious as she seems on her blog and is so easy to get along with. It’s such a shame that she lives 3000 miles away!

We decided to take the out-of-towners to one of my favorite Turkish restaurant on Park Ave: Bosphorous.

Sure, they have have great lamb and chicken, but really I love going just for the lavas bread. The warm, balloon of bread basically melts in your mouth it’s so good. ๐Ÿ™‚

Especially when you pair it with the babaganoush and hummus. ๐Ÿ˜‰

I always fill up on the bread and hummus (probably because it’s my favorite part of the meal), so I’m not quite sure why I even bother ordering an entree here, but I did. It was the white bean salad and it was good. I ate less than half before passing the rest to Derek and polishing off what ever bread was left on the table.

mmm…. bread. ๐Ÿ™‚

After lunch we took a stroll along Park Ave and introduced Monica and Ben to the Wine Bar.

The Wine Bar is a fabulous place where you load a little card up with money for self serve wine pours.

The options are endless and each 1 oz pour can range anywhere between $1.50 and $25.00 (!) a pour!

We kept it easy (and cheap) and stuck with $2.00 and less pours to really make our shared $20 last.

IMG_3104.jpg IMG_3111.jpg IMG_3114.jpg IMG_3115.jpg

Next Stop: Menchies!

I have a problem…

What? A Deal is a Deal! ๐Ÿ˜‰

Look who decided to join us.

Kelly was out shopping and decided to stop by and say hi.

Can you guess whose is whose? So many different color palettes.

Mine was filled with my last taste of the all the holiday flavors.

Pumpkin, Gingerbread, and Eggnog. I’m going to miss them all. ๐Ÿ™

We spent hours outside talking and barely noticed the sun setting as we got up to leave. It was seriously a great afternoon talking and hanging out with friends. ๐Ÿ™‚

It was well after 7:00 by the time we made it home. I decided to make a quick dinner using random veggies and left over rice from the fridge.

I started with broccoli, onion, garlic, and mushrooms then added the rice and a fried egg. Finished it off with some almond and soy sauce. Instant fried rice.

Someone is outside lighting fireworks and scaring Maddie. Poor thing and shaking in her fur. I must go and protect her.

Good Night!

1 Sana December 30, 2010 at 9:18 pm

Ahhh! I love blogger meet-ups! Go save your fur-baby!
Sana recently posted..Welcome to My Day

2 Allison December 30, 2010 at 9:21 pm

Reading your blog makes me miss living in Florida year-round. I just got back from my holiday trip there and can’t believe how cloudy it is in DC! Looks like you had a perfect day!
Allison recently posted..Knicks vs Heat!

3 Amanda (Eating Up) December 30, 2010 at 9:30 pm

Someone is celebrating 2011 a bit early!
Amanda (Eating Up) recently posted..Best Meal of 2010

4 Erika @ FoodFitnessFun December 30, 2010 at 9:32 pm

Blogger meet-ups sound like so much fun. Especially those that include frozen yogurt! ๐Ÿ˜‰

5 Kaitlin December 30, 2010 at 9:47 pm

Fun meet-up! And that wine bar looks awesome! What a great idea for trying all types of wine.
Kaitlin recently posted..Birding Roundup- Corkscrew Swamp

6 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) December 30, 2010 at 9:50 pm

How fun! It just occurred to me that the seasonal yogurt flavors will be gone soon ๐Ÿ™ Blast!
Kate (What Kate is Cooking) recently posted..2010 Goals- A Look Back

7 michelle December 30, 2010 at 9:53 pm

here it is below freezing temps. Those pics make me jealous!
michelle recently posted..How is it almost 2011!

8 Gabby (Quest for Delicious) December 30, 2010 at 10:02 pm

Yuuum, hummus and pita bread are two of my favorite things ever!

9 Christin@purplebirdblog December 30, 2010 at 10:04 pm

Hummus and bread… yes please!! ๐Ÿ˜€
Christin@purplebirdblog recently posted..Kitchen Therapy

10 Jessica @ The Process of Healing December 30, 2010 at 10:12 pm

I’m in Orlando and planning on going to Menchi’s Saturday. I CAN’T wait!!!
Jessica @ The Process of Healing recently posted..Four Things

11 Jill December 30, 2010 at 10:17 pm

that white bean salad looks wicked, what was in it so I can re-create it! ๐Ÿ™‚

12 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday December 30, 2010 at 10:21 pm

I made some fresh baba ghanooj tonight :d

13 Matt December 30, 2010 at 10:26 pm

Sounds like a fun meet up!
Matt recently posted..Welcome Home

14 Katy (The Singing Runner) December 30, 2010 at 10:28 pm

Looks like a GREAT day! And I love that wine bar! I’m going to have to go down to Orlando after I turn 21 and try that place! So cool! ๐Ÿ™‚
Katy (The Singing Runner) recently posted..Perfectionist

15 Lacey @ Lake Life December 30, 2010 at 10:36 pm

Your day looks so fun! Apparently I’m a little backwards…I ended up working almost four hours late today!

Poor Maddie. I have yet to meet a dog who doesn’t hate fireworks
Lacey @ Lake Life recently posted..My domain

16 ezzie December 30, 2010 at 10:43 pm

Hahaa I love bread too ๐Ÿ™‚ Especially the Cheesecake Factory’s brown bread! Mmmmm~
ezzie recently posted..Pumpkins to Popcorn

17 ezzie December 30, 2010 at 10:43 pm

ezzie recently posted..Pumpkins to Popcorn

18 Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) December 30, 2010 at 10:47 pm

what an awesome girls afternoon with monica and kelly!
self serve wine pours? oh that would be deadly for me. after a few pours, i would just keep pushing the button, but at $25 a pour….whoa, better save up for that one ๐Ÿ™‚

19 Shannon @ Philadelphia Phitness Pharmacy December 30, 2010 at 11:17 pm

Hummus annnd frozen yogurt! Food envy.
Shannon @ Philadelphia Phitness Pharmacy recently posted..Snacks and a Movie

20 Michelle December 31, 2010 at 12:20 am

I am so jealous of your Florida weather! Frozen yougurt is still delicious in the winter, but it just tastes so much better eaten outside when it’s not 35 degrees. I came home from my run tonight and could barely chop the veggies for my dinner because my hands were so cold.

21 Krystina December 31, 2010 at 1:41 am

I looooooove Wine Bar!
Krystina recently posted..Au Revoir Snow

22 Ali December 31, 2010 at 9:37 am

So jealous of your weather! What I wouldn’t give to be able to wear a sundress right now!!
Ali recently posted..Photographs and Memories

23 rebecca lustig December 31, 2010 at 10:07 am

i LOVE ethnic foods– there’s something so exciting flavorful and fun about cuisines from other countries. however, i have yet to try turkish!! perhaps that shall be next

wishing you a happy healthy and safe new years eve!
rebecca lustig recently posted..A milestone passed

24 Melissa @ TryingToHeal December 31, 2010 at 10:21 am

so jealous you’re hanging out with monica. we’re only 200 miles away and i barely see her. that will change in 2011!! i miss you lady! happy new year!
Melissa @ TryingToHeal recently posted..Moannnnnday