Under the Florida Sunshine

by Meghann on December 29, 2010

Awww…. Florida. How I love thee.

You can have your 18 inches of snow and white Christmas, Northeast. I’ll take my palm trees and eternal sunshine any day of the week. πŸ˜‰

I’ll also take the ability to eat outside the last week of December too.

Dear Summer,

Please stay away. I do not miss the humidity and sweaty thighs one bit.

Thanks a bunch,

Meghann πŸ˜‰

I have a habit of stocking up on Goupons, Living Social Deals, and Eversave Saves. The trick to making the most of those deals is not using them the day you buy them and instead saving them for special occasions. This afternoon Derek offered to meet me for lunch and I pulled out one of those sweet deals just for the occasion.

Davis Bakery & Co is an ADORABLE deli in the Avalon Park area of Orlando who had a deal on Eversave a few weeks ago. I had never been before and knew the save was the best excuse to go.

They had bagels. They had sandwiches. And they had cinnamon rolls.

I really wanted a cinnamon roll. πŸ˜‰

Derek and I dined in the beautiful Florida sunshine.

I sipped on a Might Leaf Vanilla Bean Hot Tea.

IMG_2991.jpg

And had the Powerhouse Sandwich for lunch.

The Powerhouse was great. It was full of sprouts, veggies, and a delicious hummus spread.

The sandwich came with house chips, but I’m not the biggest fan of plain chips. I asked for a side of vinegar to ‘season’ the chips with. The guy gave me a funny look and told me I was the first to ask for a side of vinegar to go with their chips. I told him not to knock it until he tried it. It’s delicious.

The display case of baked goods were so tempting that Derek and I couldn’t resist grabbing a treat for later. We ordered a powerbar to go and nibbled on it at the movie theater later that afternoon.

After hearing so much hype about the movie Black Swan, Derek and I were bracing ourselves for an intense, dark movie when I got off of work.

black-swan-movie-poster.jpg

I guess when there’s that much hype and opinions surrounding a film, a bit of a let down should be expected. Don’t get me wrong – it was a beautifully directed film and Natalie Portman deserves an oscar for her dedication to this role – but it was not as intense or as dark as I was expecting. Nor was it as sexually charged or the least bit scary. My sister was apprehensive on seeing the film because she heard it was a scary thriller, but I didn’t find it scary at all. It made me think, but really never made me jump out of my chair.

But, that’s just my opinion on the film. I know there are a million different ones out there. πŸ™‚

We saw the movie with my cousins and brother and after the movie we took my brother to World of Beers for his first taste of our favorite chain bar.

The boys ordered identical Dogfish 60 Minute IPAs (apparently since Brewmasters premiered on TLC they’ve had troubles keeping it on hand)

And I ordered Double Chocolate Stout

IMG_3001.jpg

It you will believe me, it tasted like rich chocolate milk.

When we got back I was starving and basically threw anything and everything I could think of in a big pot for a quick rendition of Chili.

Want to know the key to good chili? Chili powder. Lots and lots of chili powder.

I browned some left over italian sausage added onions, carrots, corn, mushrooms, beans and fire roasted tomatoes then coated everything heavily with chili powder before adding a can of chicken broth and letting it boil for 20 minutes.

I topped my serving with some plain yogurt, fresh onions, and sharp cheddar cheese.

Corn muffin (used this recipe) on the side.

Gotta please that sweet tooth. πŸ˜‰

Wow, that was a full day.

I think it’s time for bed.

Good Night!

1 Stefanie December 29, 2010 at 9:54 pm

I just tried the double chocolate stout on Christmas–so I don’t just believe you, I know it tasted like rich chocolate milk! And only one was good for me!

2 Erin (Travel, Eat, Repeat) December 29, 2010 at 9:54 pm

Thank you, finally someone else who wasn’t blown away by Black Swan! I usually love artsy movies but I just didn’t ‘get’ it.

Also: so jealous of your weather. Planning a hike tomorrow because it’s going to be warm aka above 40. πŸ˜‰
Erin (Travel, Eat, Repeat) recently posted..Where’s the Beef

3 grocery goddess jen December 29, 2010 at 9:54 pm

Meghann, I moved to Western NC to get away from the snow – but it followed me here! I would take the Florida sunshine in a heartbeat, too! How about we come live with you guys for the winter and you come enjoy the lovely mountain temperatures with us in the summer πŸ™‚ ?
grocery goddess jen recently posted..I Mean Everything

4 Allie (Live Laugh Eat) December 29, 2010 at 9:55 pm

That photo of you and Derek is beautiful!

I have a problem using my Groupons before their deadline. I always buy them and forget about them.
Allie (Live Laugh Eat) recently posted..Playing Food Network Star

5 Sana December 29, 2010 at 9:58 pm

Your headband is soooo cute!
Sana recently posted..Welcome to My Day

6 Natalie Rae December 29, 2010 at 9:58 pm

I have been reading your blog for a couple years- since we were both single :)- and I had to tell you that the photo you posted above is a great photo of the two of you*

7 Christin@purplebirdblog December 29, 2010 at 9:59 pm

Oh man, when I used to drink I loved that chocolate stout!! The flavor is INSANE!
Christin@purplebirdblog recently posted..Kitchen Therapy

8 Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) December 29, 2010 at 10:04 pm

Thank you for this review/info “but it was not as intense or as dark as I was expecting. Nor was it as sexually charged or the least bit scary. “—i have only read about it on blogs, lame i know πŸ™‚ but ppl make it sound really intense, sexual, etc so this is a new one…now i really HAVE to make time to see the flick!

Love your Fla pics!
Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) recently posted..2011 Intentions

9 Lacey @ Lake Life December 29, 2010 at 10:06 pm

You’ve gotten to eat out for lunch so much this week, I’m incredibly jealous! Thanks for giving your opinion on Black Swan. I’ll be waiting for it to pop up on Netflix instant play.
Lacey @ Lake Life recently posted..My domain

10 Allison @ PickyEatingRD December 29, 2010 at 10:20 pm

I am going to be living vicariously through you for this entire winter. What I wouldn’t give to sit outside and dine!!!
Allison @ PickyEatingRD recently posted..Just Not 100

11 Kaitlin December 29, 2010 at 10:33 pm

Yummy quick chili! Sounds like a great time. I spent my vacation today in a Florida swamp. I’m loving the sun and not wanting to go back to the snow in Michigan any time soon!
Kaitlin recently posted..Birding Roundup- Corkscrew Swamp

12 Samantha December 29, 2010 at 10:42 pm

I’m with you! This was our 3rd Christmas Day in a row to spend the afternoon on the beach snorkeling, boogie boarding, and enjoying tropical weather. (although ours still comes with heat and humidity every day of the year!) Biba la Isla Guam!

13 steph norton December 29, 2010 at 10:50 pm

I LOVE World of Beer! When we came for the Disney Princess Half Marathon back in March we went there! BTW- I am from Iowa..

14 Gabby (Quest for Delicious) December 29, 2010 at 10:58 pm

Your hair looks super cute with that headband! Chili looks good too; I love raw onions as a topping!

15 Katy (The Singing Runner) December 29, 2010 at 10:59 pm

I’m with you girl! The north can have their snow! Give me sunshine and perfect weather any day! πŸ˜‰
Katy (The Singing Runner) recently posted..Perfectionist

16 Lee December 29, 2010 at 11:02 pm

I really liked Black Swan but when I went to see it, I had no idea what it was going to be about aside from ballet and there being a lesbian sex scene.

Your headband is cute.
Lee recently posted..Blog Addict

17 Michelle December 29, 2010 at 11:03 pm

I’m ready for some warm weather tomorrow! Davis Bakery is our little secret in Avalon – glad you were able to experience it πŸ™‚
Michelle recently posted..Worst Run Ever Anniversary Date

18 Ashley December 29, 2010 at 11:13 pm

I love your flowery head band, and I really want to see black swan but sadly my local theater doesn’t have it.
Ashley recently posted..It Would Be Me

19 Katherine @ Left Coast Contessa December 29, 2010 at 11:18 pm

I’m with you on the weather. I was in Chicago for Christmas and it was cold and gross. So glad to be home in LA!

Also, as a non scary movie person I was apprehensive about seeing Black Swan but I actually liked it because it wasn’t too scary or intense. But I can see that if you were expecting something really intense it would be a little bit of a let down.
Katherine @ Left Coast Contessa recently posted..153 Akira in Wilmette

20 G December 29, 2010 at 11:30 pm

I just had to comment: That picture of you and Derek with your beer is absolutely adorable!! You guys look so happy and great together!! πŸ™‚

21 Nicole December 30, 2010 at 12:45 am

Love that picture of you and Derek at the end of the post!

Also, agree with you on Black Swan. No doubt Natalie Portman was amazing but the overall delivery of the movie could have been much improved. There was parts that were so over the top that instead of shocking or add to the intensity of the movie just ended up being silly!

22 Brenna December 30, 2010 at 12:54 am

Cute headband!! Love it
Brenna recently posted..2010 baby

23 Margo December 30, 2010 at 1:03 am

I agree with all the other comments…cute headband and fabulous picture of you and the boy!

24 Brittney December 30, 2010 at 1:06 am

I think I’m the only southerner here who WANTS snow lol. We just got our first White Christmas since 1963! Anyway, that picture of you and Derek is ADORABLE. I also wish I had your creative cooking skills… everything you make is so unique even when you’re using the same ingredients.

25 Erica December 30, 2010 at 2:11 am

First I am still amazed that you were able to pass on the cinnamon rolls, I would have started with that. So Florida in December is bearable good to know next visit to the inlaws will have to be during the winter last time we went to Florida is was in May and I felt like showering everytime we came back to the house day or night the humidity and heat was way too much for me. πŸ™‚

26 Kim December 30, 2010 at 2:41 am

YUM! Youngs Double Choc Stout is my fave beer of all time πŸ™‚
Excellent choice lol….
And that sandwich looked delish! πŸ™‚

27 J December 30, 2010 at 2:55 am

Super jealous of all that SUN! Looks lovely. That picture of you and Derek is really cute- you both look so happy πŸ™‚
J recently posted..A movie and some professional level cuddling

28 Lauren December 30, 2010 at 6:55 am

Full day indeed. I have to say, I’m quite jealous of your Florida weather. Please please please send it up north! πŸ™‚ Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the movie. I wasn’t blown away to see it but I think I will wait for it to come out on DvD.
Lauren recently posted..Live Boldly

29 Briana December 30, 2010 at 7:20 am

When I left the theater after ‘Black Swan’ I remember saying to my husband… ‘Well that was eff-ed up!’ I thought it was an amazing movie and I intentionally didn’t listen to or read any reviews so that I was un-jaded when I saw it. She does deserve an Oscar and the director needs a psych consult! Have you seen any of his other movies?? Like ‘Requiem for a Dream’? Talk about an eff-ed up but an AWESOME movie!

And I am jealous of your weather. Here in Boston it’s, oh you know, TWELVE DEGREES! Sheesh. I have to put on my ‘big-girl pants’ to go out on a run today!
Briana recently posted..Task-y stuff

30 Matt @ The Kitchen of a Runner December 30, 2010 at 7:21 am

I totally agree with you on winter! I wished I lived in Florida!
Matt @ The Kitchen of a Runner recently posted..Heading Back

31 Becky December 30, 2010 at 8:01 am

Love your sweater!!! Such a pretty color on you, and looks great with the headband!

32 Maggie December 30, 2010 at 8:19 am

I agree about Black Swan not being scary. I keep hearing people say how scary it was and I feel like we must have seen different movies!!

Massively jealous of your weather, btw. I’m dying to go running outside or take my parents’ dog for a nice long walk but the snow and ice are making it very difficult.

33 Hope December 30, 2010 at 8:25 am

Sounds like you had a great day! I would absolutely love the warm weather and be able to sit outside to enjoy lunch. However, this morning it is 18 degrees here! Ahh!! Love your headband! It’s super cute! I really want to try the Dogfish 60 minute IPA. I love the Dogfish Punkin Ale πŸ™‚
Hope recently posted..Couponing to the Extreme…

34 Beth @ DiningAndDishing December 30, 2010 at 8:40 am

I can’t wait to see Black Swan! I’ve been wanting to see it ever since it came out and twice now dinner plans have run into the movie time :(. I may even end up just going by myself if I get a chance!
Beth @ DiningAndDishing recently posted..RIP Camera Sock

35 Silvina December 30, 2010 at 9:41 am

Speaking of beer – I saw Beer Wars the other night because I saw your post about it awhile back. It’s a great documentary! I had no idea the beer industry was like that and I definitely appreciate craft beers and small breweries now.
I’m trying to stay away from the “big three’s” beers now, although it’s hard to since they own so many beers.
I <3 WOB

36 Amy December 30, 2010 at 9:41 am

You make Florida weather look more appealing all the time! Now if only I could convince my entire family to move there…. πŸ™‚
Amy recently posted..The end is near…

37 Brittney December 30, 2010 at 10:19 am

I love your headband Meghann! I need to start wearing some!!

38 Kacy December 30, 2010 at 11:08 am

I love salt and vinegar chips and I love vinegar so I bet I would love dipping plain chips in vinegar. Sounds amazing actually.

And I COMPLETELY agree with you about Black Swan. I was expecting to be deeply disturbed and wowed by the movie and I thought it was just okay. Not that dark, not scary and even almost kind of cheesey in places. I adore Natalie Portman though and agree she deserves the Oscar nod if she gets it.

39 Faith @ lovelyascharged December 30, 2010 at 12:17 pm

That looks absolutely phenomenal! Do you have any other favorite restaurants in the Orlando area? I’m starting a new job in the downtown area and am looking for some recommendations for great places to check out!
Faith @ lovelyascharged recently posted..The Scariest Decision of My Life

40 Ali December 31, 2010 at 10:23 am

I like my four seasons, but winter up north can get a bit rough! I usually miss summer weather right around Jan 1st–aka what Florida’s winter is like. We do have 3 months of skiing to look forward to from now until March. I guess that’s pretty cool too πŸ™‚
Ali recently posted..Photographs and Memories