more ยป" />

It’s Kettlebell Time

by Meghann on December 29, 2010

Break it down ๐Ÿ™‚

I made out with a lot of fun food and fitness themed gifts this Christmas. My family knows me well and they know these are gifts I’ll love and use past the Christmas season.

Two of my favorite gifts this year include the two sets of kettlebells (10 lbs & 15 lbs) I received. I’ve had a fascination with kettlebells since I first started eyeing them in the gym last August. I find them more entertaining and fun that traditional weights. Maybe because with the kettlebells you’re encouraged to swing and move and with regular weights it feels stiff and robotic? Or maybe the kettlebells are cute and girlie and traditional weights are not? What can I say? I’m a girl and I like girlie things. ๐Ÿ™‚

I took the 10lb kettlebell out of the box this morning and decided to give the included DVD a try.

The DVD was a 25-minute workout utilizing basic kettlebell moves such as a swing, squat, and turkish get up. I was expecting a simple work out, but was a little surprised when I started breathing hard and began working up a sweat. Those moves were not playing around. It was tough, but fun. It’s the swing – it adds a fun, flowing vibe to it. ๐Ÿ˜‰

I finished my morning work out with part one of Jillian Michaels’ Six Week Six Pack (I sense a challenge with this DVD starting in January ๐Ÿ˜‰ )

Breakfast was good.

I toasted a piece of the multi-grain baguette and topped it with almond butter and hot cinnamon apples. It was a warm, comforting breakfast on this very chilly Florida morning. (Good news – it should be our last chilly morning until the new year! ๐Ÿ˜‰ )

Christmas has now come and gone.

Get anything good this year? What’s your favorite gift you received (or gave!)?

My favorite gift to give is always the person calendars I make. They take the most time, but they’re always the most person. Derek and I spent hours on Christmas Day showing off the calendar I made for him to his family filling them in on all the adventures we had through the year. ๐Ÿ™‚

1 Duchess of Fork December 29, 2010 at 10:11 am

I got an iPad and a new MacBook!!! Santa was really good to me this year. ๐Ÿ™‚
Duchess of Fork recently posted..New Toys

2 Maryann December 29, 2010 at 11:19 am

Wow santa really loves you!
Maryann recently posted..Weird Eater

3 Megan @ AVeryMegGirl December 29, 2010 at 10:13 am

My favorite gift was my Louis Vuitton bag my parents gave me! I have been wanting one for sooo long and I feel so fortinate that they were so generous this year!
Megan @ AVeryMegGirl recently posted..Have yourself a Merry Little Christmas!

4 Britt @ Runnerbelle December 29, 2010 at 10:14 am

Kettlebells are far from girlie! Unless of course your bell is pink. ๐Ÿ˜‰

I like that at my kettlebell gym I’m not focused on the actual weight, I’m focused on if I can lift/swing more and go by the color (each weight is different color). This morning I was using the green 14kg bells, basically 30lbs for dead snatches and windmills. Ask me to do something with a 30lb weight before and I would have laughed and picked up the 15lb weghts at most…. now I’m swinging them around all over the place!

Favorite gift…. my awesome new watch!

5 Amy December 29, 2010 at 6:41 pm

I was going to say the same thing – kettlebells are not girly! The ones at my gym go up to like 100lbs, no joke there! Actually, I think I might go do a kettlebell workout tonight. I haven’t used them in a while – thanks for the idea!!

6 Meghann December 29, 2010 at 10:20 pm

I just think the ones I’ve seen have been girlie because of the fun colors and the way their shaped, but maybe that’s how I see them in my eyes. ๐Ÿ™‚

7 Arlene @ Adventures in Weight Loss December 29, 2010 at 10:15 am

I’m getting a Nook e-reader … it just hasn’t arrived yet.

Kettlebells look interesting, but I’m afraid I’d swing it right through the TV … or a window … I’m not very coordinated.
Arlene @ Adventures in Weight Loss recently posted..A happy holiday

8 Stephanie @ The Cookie Battle December 29, 2010 at 10:15 am

I’ve been dying to try kettlebells but have been afraid to buy one for fear it will end up in the pile of fitness equipment I’ve bought over the years and never used (Billy Bands anyone?). I think I’m definitely going to get them though.
Stephanie @ The Cookie Battle recently posted..My New Years Resolutions

9 Meghann December 29, 2010 at 10:20 pm

Ha! I remember billy bands!

10 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday December 29, 2010 at 10:18 am

I’m kinda interested in trying kettlebells for working out. My sister has one and I’ve played around with it a bit, but have never done a full workout.

Unfortunately, my gym doesn’t have kettlebells and I don’t think I would buy some just to try it.

11 allison @ livingoneday December 29, 2010 at 10:21 am

all my friends who do crossfit use kettleballs. they are awesome! i also love the personalized calendars. i made one for an ex bf years ago and it was amazing! my favorite gift that i received this year was a netbook/tablet hybrid from my boyfriend. its like a mini laptop that converts to a tablet pc and reader. im OBSESSED. my favorite gift that i gave was a new BIKE to my boyfriend. it’s his primary means of transportation, and he needed a new one so he was psyched!
allison @ livingoneday recently posted..things iโ€™m really into right now

12 Jessie December 29, 2010 at 10:22 am

I am so curious about kettlebells too but haven’t looked into them very much. I may have to look into taking a class soon!

13 Lauren December 29, 2010 at 10:28 am

What is cute and girlie about a kettlebell?

14 Beth @ Beth's Journey to Thin December 29, 2010 at 10:36 am

My favorite gift from Christmas is the Kinect for Xbox 360. It is SO cool and I got the Biggest Loser DVD as well which I only tried for a few minutes but the workouts on it seem awesome!
Beth @ Beth’s Journey to Thin recently posted..Weight Loss Rewards

15 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) December 29, 2010 at 10:36 am

I would totally buy that kettlebell because of its color! It is cute ๐Ÿ™‚
Kate (What Kate is Cooking) recently posted..โ€˜Twas the Night Before Christmas

16 Carolyn @ Lovin' Losing December 29, 2010 at 10:37 am

I tried a kettlebell class and despite all my efforts to keep good form I hurt my back. Haven’t gone back since. I think all that swinging is just too much for my sensitive back. Have fun with yours, though! You’re one of lucky few who never seem to get injured! *knock on wood*
Carolyn @ Lovin’ Losing recently posted..Merry Christmas!

17 Gabby (Quest for Delicious) December 29, 2010 at 10:38 am

I have a slight obsession with the aprons at Anthropologie and this year for Christmas, my best friend actually MADE me my own apron! It’s adorable and I love it. (:

18 Christine December 29, 2010 at 4:07 pm

Love, love, love those aprons! You’re lucky to have a crafty friend to replicate them!
Christine recently posted..Books and More Books!

19 Rebekah December 29, 2010 at 10:43 am

I would be so up for the Jillian 6 pack challenge. I bought myself that video and it would be nice to have extra motivation to use it. It is almost january so I would say that us do the challenge ๐Ÿ™‚

20 Ally December 29, 2010 at 10:47 am

I got a Canon PowerShot DSLR!!! I am SO thrilled. And also a Kindle, which I’m not too thrilled about seeing as I’m a hardcore bibliophile…
Ally recently posted..NEW CAMERA

21 Lacey @ Lake Life December 29, 2010 at 10:51 am

My favorite gift(s) were all of the Department 56 collectible Halloween decorations I got and my Chia Herb Garden. I can’t wait to start adding fresh parsley, dill, chives, basil, cilantro and marjoram to my meals!

Are you afraid of pulling muscles while using the Kettlebell? The swinging seems like it would set you up for strains.
Lacey @ Lake Life recently posted..My domain

22 Meghann December 29, 2010 at 10:21 pm

Yes, the trick (from what i’ve heard) is to keep your abs tight to prevent injury. ๐Ÿ™‚

23 Heather @ Side of Sneakers December 29, 2010 at 10:53 am

All of my gifts were workout related too ๐Ÿ˜‰ The best gift this year was what I gave my husband- I got a Groupon deal for a Nascar driving experience back in July and kept my mouth shut about it until Christmas ๐Ÿ˜‰ He’s always wanted to drive a race car so I’m pretty sure I’m winning the best wife of the year award. ๐Ÿ™‚
Heather @ Side of Sneakers recently posted..ART No More

24 Lexie December 29, 2010 at 11:00 am

I got a kettlebell last year. I tried Jillian’s kettlebell workout and think I dislocated a shoulder. Just kidding. But really, I think her workout is a little dangerous.

This year I got the Garmin Forerunner 305.

Fitness gifts are my favorite ๐Ÿ™‚
Lexie recently posted..The one where not everything needs gravy

25 Brittney December 29, 2010 at 11:05 am

I got lots of cool stuff, a Kitchen Aid mixer, Lululemon gift card, Allied Steel “Runner” medal hanger… It’s hard to pick one thing I like the most!
Brittney recently posted..Ski Memories

26 Christin@purplebirdblog December 29, 2010 at 11:06 am

My favorite gift that I received was definitely my new tattoo! ๐Ÿ™‚ I think the favorite gift I gave to my dad… a framed photo of him and I from the last time I visited. He apparently loved it!
Christin@purplebirdblog recently posted..A Return to Normalcy

27 Kate@andwhenshesays December 29, 2010 at 11:07 am

Kettleballs! Glad to hear they worked up a good sweat. I’m dying to try these – my gym just got an amazing set. Will probably wait until the New Year’s Resolution-er craziness dies down but I’m looking forward to incorporating it into my strength routine.
Kate@andwhenshesays recently posted..Full Day

28 Ali @ Ali on the Run December 29, 2010 at 11:26 am

Fun! I’ve been wanting to try kettlebells but haven’t mustered up the courage. This year I’ve worked up quite a sweat playing on the Wii I got for Christmas. Great workout!
Ali @ Ali on the Run recently posted..Snow-verloaded

29 Kelly December 29, 2010 at 11:27 am

My favorite gift by far was my kitchen aid artisan mixer! Second place is my new north fact down jacket.
Kelly recently posted..Back to Work

30 Sarah December 29, 2010 at 11:34 am

I love kettlebells! Have fun with them. As far as presents, my favorite was one I gave. I got a personalized kids book for my nephew from Red Envelope. Everyone loved the book and I think he will too once he gets older (he is only 3 mos now).

31 Erica December 29, 2010 at 11:52 am

Hey ๐Ÿ™‚ Thanks for the sweet comment. Yes! Josh’s family is incredibly sweet- I feel very lucky. Kettlebells! What a great gift. I want one. And your breakfast looks yummy- I am a HUGE fan of hot cinnamon apples. Best gift I got- flipcam! Best gift I gave- South Carolina themed gifts for my inlaws. I cannot wait for it to get warmer this weekend
Erica recently posted..E- Orlando!!

32 Jenn December 29, 2010 at 12:05 pm

My parents are amazing: They said I could choose between airplane tickets anywhere in the US or a new bike. I’m going with the new bike – I can finally get rid of my lug of a mountain bike and get a road bike!

My current ipod is old/heavy so my boyfriend got me a 5th generation ipod nano – I love it! He also got me the best socks ever, Old Navy cozy socks anyone?

33 Katie G (http://justrollwithitblog.blogspot.com) December 29, 2010 at 12:17 pm

Kettlebells rock, have fun!!
My favorite workout inspired gifts I received this Christmas are my new running waterbottle with handstrap and key holder (can’t wait to use it, maybe today?…it’s super cold out here), and gifcard to my favorite store, REI! I can’t WAIT to go there to get my new ski pants and running pants that I have been wanting for a while!!!
Katie G (http://justrollwithitblog.blogspot.com) recently posted..Oreo aka crack balls

34 Katie G (http://justrollwithitblog.blogspot.com) December 29, 2010 at 12:17 pm

Oh, and my Flip camera! Hoping to record my 2011 races and post on my blog!

35 Sarah @ Going on Goals December 29, 2010 at 12:18 pm

you know your a blogger when your favorite gift is a 2 tetra bite external hard-drive.
Sarah @ Going on Goals recently posted..Kitchen Remix

36 Meghann December 29, 2010 at 10:22 pm

I got a 1TB external harddrive. Another favorite gift. ๐Ÿ™‚

37 Tracy December 29, 2010 at 12:31 pm

So, what did you think about level one of Jillian’s dvd? I have the dvd and have only used level 2. I’m eager to hear what you think! ๐Ÿ™‚

38 Meghann December 29, 2010 at 10:23 pm

I really like the first level, but still haven’t done the second. We need to both switch. ha!

39 Michelle December 29, 2010 at 12:55 pm

I got a VitaMix!! My parents rock. I just wish my dog didn’t bark like crazy every time I turn it on.

40 michelle December 29, 2010 at 12:59 pm

My favorite gift I got was brand new expensive sheets…. nothing beats going to bed on gorgous sheets ๐Ÿ™‚
michelle recently posted..How is it almost 2011!

41 J December 29, 2010 at 1:05 pm

Love the idea of personal calendars! My mom’s birthday is only two weeks after Christmas (annoying!) so I’m always looking for good gift ideas right about now ๐Ÿ™‚

42 Anna @ Doing Good & Living Well December 29, 2010 at 1:24 pm

Kettle Bells looks like so much fun — I kinda want to give them a try!

My favorite gift we recieved was a Vitamix from Hub’s Mama. Well, I suppose that ties for first with the wedding album my parents made for us from Shutterfly! My favorite gift I gave was to my parents — I got them a crockpot so they can cook more in an easy way. ๐Ÿ™‚
Anna @ Doing Good & Living Well recently posted..Christmas to NYE Lull

43 Katherine: Unemployed December 29, 2010 at 1:35 pm

I love when people put time into gifts and do home-made (like your calendars). It’s really meaningful and something I keep

kettlebells are awesome, too!
Katherine: Unemployed recently posted..Susie Sampler

44 Kacy December 29, 2010 at 1:56 pm

I’ve been meaning to check that Jillian Six Pack video out on OnDemand. I keep forgetting!

My fave gift was my Kindle. I wasn’t really expecting to get anything (I’m not big on the gift thing) and it was such a fun surprise!
Kacy recently posted..Ancient Grains

45 claire December 29, 2010 at 2:18 pm

I think my favorite gift I got is my Vera Bradley computer case. I made a calendar for my brother and sister-in-law, too…that was fun!

46 Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) December 29, 2010 at 2:34 pm

Oh kettleball classes are all the rage where I live but ive never taken one. I need to do at home kettleballs like you did. I normally just swing around my pair of 12 lb dumbbells and call it a day ๐Ÿ™‚

Best gift I received? The new dslr I bought myself yesterday!
Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) recently posted..New DSLR Camera- Things Happening Not According to Plans

47 Andrea @ For the Love of the Run December 29, 2010 at 2:43 pm

I need to try using Kettlebells! I just have no idea how much weight to use.

48 Jen December 29, 2010 at 2:53 pm

Best gift, the picture and pillow family members made to remember my Dad.

2nd best gift: Turbo Fire ๐Ÿ™‚

Jen
Jen recently posted..Nogmeal

49 jessica December 29, 2010 at 3:04 pm

Hi Meghann, did you use a special program to make the personalized calendars or is that a feature that automatically comes with your MAC?

50 Meghann December 29, 2010 at 10:24 pm

I used iPhoto on my Mac. It’s the BEST program for making personalized photo gifts. ๐Ÿ™‚

51 Natalie O December 29, 2010 at 3:22 pm

Love using kettlebells!

I gave the hubby an iPad…but now he’s addicted to angry birds, yikes
Natalie O recently posted..An Amazing Year Part 3 of 4

52 Amy K. @ Healthy Peanut December 29, 2010 at 3:56 pm

I got an iPad and I am just giddy trying to figure out how to use it! I have never done a workout dvd but they sound like they can really work! I might just need to try one!!
Amy K. @ Healthy Peanut recently posted..Healthy Peanut Giveaway!

53 Christine December 29, 2010 at 4:10 pm

I got tons of books, a new juicer, and lots of gift cards.

Let us know how the kettlebells work! I’ve thought about getting them, but couldn’t seem to find any good work out videos at the time and would have no idea what to really do with them. I know many come DVDs, but you never know with those.
Christine recently posted..Books and More Books!

54 Rebecca December 29, 2010 at 5:42 pm

Cross country skis! I’ve never really been into it before but in WI winter running gets kinda treacherous and I could use a break from the icy sidewalks every once in awhile. Now I just need a skiing buddy!

55 Ash December 29, 2010 at 6:31 pm

I’m TOTALLY curious about the 6 pack abs- I’m thinking about picking it up this week! How do you like it so far?! I’d be psyched about a challenge in January…. too many brownie bites, dark beer, and wine does not help the cause ๐Ÿ˜‰

56 Meghann December 29, 2010 at 10:25 pm

I’ve only done the first workout and was a big fan. I can’t wait to try the second one and take on the full 6 wk challenge.

57 Sana December 29, 2010 at 6:53 pm

I am terrifed that I will smack myself with a kettle ball. I am not the most coordinated person!
Sana recently posted..Welcome to My Day

58 Kaitlin December 29, 2010 at 7:09 pm

Oooh the kettlebells look fun! I usually hate weight training too, but I know it’s so beneficial!

Best gift I gave this year: a new iPod Touch to my boyfriend– he flipped out when he opened it! ๐Ÿ™‚
Kaitlin recently posted..Birding Roundup- Corkscrew Swamp

59 Lindsey December 29, 2010 at 7:31 pm

My fave gift was a Vitamix!! I just got home after getting stuck in Boston for a few days and cannot wait to try it ๐Ÿ™‚ My favorite gift I’m giving is an immersion blender for my Mom- she doesn’t have one and loves making soup! I guess it was the year for blenders in my fam haha ๐Ÿ™‚
Lindsey recently posted..I survivedthe Blizzard of 2010!

60 Katy (The Singing Runner) December 29, 2010 at 7:59 pm

I love the kettlebell! I want to get one!!! ๐Ÿ™‚

For Christmas I got a Garmin 305 (okay, I got it before Thanksgiving, but I needed it for training), a food processor, and my parents paid for 2 years of web hosting so I could move to a self- hosted site! ๐Ÿ™‚
Katy (The Singing Runner) recently posted..Perfectionist

61 Lauren December 29, 2010 at 8:09 pm

I really want to get Kettlebells. hAve you tried Jillian’s Shred it Weights workout? She uses the kettlebell and it seems so effective. I use the weights and even that is rough so I can imagine its a great workout with the bells.
Lauren recently posted..Live Boldly

62 Holley December 29, 2010 at 8:16 pm

(This is my first blog post!! I finally started my own blog too)

I got an iPad and I am completely addicted! It’s a good thing I just got a wifi version… otherwise my work productivity would be suffering ๐Ÿ™‚

And got a giftcard for lulu, can’t wait to go get some new workout stuff!
Holley recently posted..Impulse 1-2 Marathon

63 Holley December 29, 2010 at 8:16 pm

(This is my first blog comment!! I finally started my own blog too)

And got a giftcard for lulu, can’t wait to go get some new workout stuff!
Holley recently posted..Impulse 1-2 Marathon

64 chandra December 29, 2010 at 9:35 pm

I absolutely LOVE kettlebells! I really miss teaching my kettlebell class. Swings are a great strength/cardio mix exercise. Just always, always, always make sure you’re keeping your abs tight to support your core & lower back when doing them, I’ve seen so many injuries from that! ๐Ÿ™‚ Enjoy!
chandra recently posted..A New Year- A New Chance

65 Elina (Healthy and Sane) December 29, 2010 at 10:06 pm

I love the idea of kettlebells but they hurt my wrists and feel really unnatural. Sounds like you’re having fun with them though – it’s all about finding things you love… and then mixing it up occasionally. ๐Ÿ™‚
PS – I’m hosting a giveaway on my blog. Check it out if you have a minute!