Meet Bubbles

by Meghann on December 28, 2010

Allow me to introduce you the newest additions to the Meals and Miles clan:

Bubbles! aka my brand new SodaStream. πŸ™‚

IMG_2883.jpg

Isn’t she a beaut? πŸ˜‰

What is a SodaStream? Well, it’s basically a nifty machine that allows one to make soda water from the comfort of their own home using the power of CO2. Santa (aka Mom & Dad) was kind enough to leave one under the tree for me on Christmas morning and I’ve been dying to get it out of the box ever since.

IMG_2886.jpg

There wasn’t much in the box – just a can of CO2, two bottles, and the machine itself. No batteries are needed and no outlet is required. The only thing set up involves is attaching the CO2 to the machines.

IMG_2891.jpg IMG_2895.jpg

From there the directions are pretty clear.

Fill the bottle with water.

Attach the bottle to the machine.

IMG_2896.jpg

Press the button on top

And let Bubbles do her thing

IMG_2900.jpg

Weeeee….

So easy! The only thing is, I like my soda water cold and I’m not the biggest fan of ice, so it’s in the fridge chilling at the moment. No instant satisfaction here. But, I did take a sip straight off the sodastream and was a fan of the bubbles that tickled my throat exactly as they were supposed to. πŸ™‚

Thank you Santa (aka Mom & Dad)! for the awesome gift. I promise this one is going to get a lot of use in the near future. πŸ˜‰

I’m not sure how long mango lasts in the fridge, but I had half of this mango before I left town on Thursday and found the other half still alive and well in the fridge.

Just a little brown, no biggie. It still tasted right (that’s what counts, right?) and made a very fruity afternoon snack. πŸ™‚

Derek (who has the week off of work and is crashing at my place as a mini vacay for the week) asked what I wanted for dinner and the only thing I could come up with was roasted vegetables.

“With red sauce?”

“Yes, that sounds perfect.” He knows me well. πŸ™‚

It has been a week full of sugar and turkey, I needed vegetables back in my life and a LOT of them. Derek and I roasted potatoes, sweet potatoes, onion, broccoli, parsnips, radishes, and mushrooms. We piled everything on some steamed kale and topped it off with red sauce and goat cheese.

The goat cheese melted into the red sauce and made an extra creamy, delicious topping. I made sure to soak up every last drop with a nice chunk of multi-grain bread.

For dessert I had my first few pieces of my stocking candy.

Christmas morning I was too sick to enjoy it, good thing I’m all better now – can’t let the good stuff go to waste! πŸ˜‰

Derek and I are sitting back with some nice hot tea and the movie The Town. We’re about 20 minutes in and I’m already lost. Looks like I better start paying attention now.

Good Night!! πŸ™‚

1 Val from love and running December 28, 2010 at 8:56 pm

I absolutely love your blog!
The at home soda machine looks awesome! I may have to get one!

I understand about only wanting veggies my body has been craving greens!

2 Beth @ Beth's Journey to Thin December 28, 2010 at 8:58 pm

That SodaStream is so awesome!! I want one so bad! Could you use water from the Brita in your fridge so you don’t have to wait for it to cool down?

3 Kristina @ spabettie December 28, 2010 at 9:13 pm

ha!! that’s what I just commented! πŸ™‚ yes… that’s exactly what we do!
Kristina @ spabettie recently posted..a SQUEEEAAKY holiday

4 Whirney December 28, 2010 at 9:00 pm

Pay attention to that movie!! πŸ™‚ I loved it! And of course, Ben isn’t bad to look at either πŸ™‚

5 Mara @ What's For Dinner? December 28, 2010 at 9:02 pm

I think a SodaStream is on my list of gadgets to buy… I neeeeed one πŸ™‚
Mara @ What’s For Dinner? recently posted..Totally Twisted

6 Duchess of Fork December 28, 2010 at 9:04 pm

The Town is really good! Just watched it with my family last week. Hope you enjoy.
Duchess of Fork recently posted..New Toys

7 Lauren December 28, 2010 at 9:05 pm

The Town was such a good movie and kept me on edge for nearly the whole thing.
Lauren recently posted..Christmas &amp Chocolate

8 Christin@purplebirdblog December 28, 2010 at 9:08 pm

Lovin’ that bowl of veggies!! And that SodaStream is toooo cool!
Christin@purplebirdblog recently posted..A Return to Normalcy

9 Lacey @ Lake Life December 28, 2010 at 9:09 pm

You should try Debbie Meyer Green Bags for your fruit and produce, they keep food fresh for so much longer than usual storage containers.
Wow, I sound like an infomercial lol.
Lacey @ Lake Life recently posted..Until next year

10 Amy December 28, 2010 at 9:11 pm

My brother in law got a soda stream and we just used it tonight! I loved how fizzy it makes the water. Yummmm.

Also your dinner reminds me I am missing roasted veggies in a MAJOR way. I am over holiday eating too!
Amy recently posted..unbalanced

11 Kristina @ spabettie December 28, 2010 at 9:12 pm

I just received a SodaStream (thanks, Santa!!) and I am LOVING it!!

we have a Brita in the fridge = cold water + SodaStream = instant cold soda! πŸ™‚
Kristina @ spabettie recently posted..a SQUEEEAAKY holiday

12 Alyssa December 28, 2010 at 9:20 pm

That soda-maker sounds awesome! Are you going to make any of the different flavors?

Sounds like Derek and Maddie are going to be having lots of quality time together πŸ™‚ Sounds like a good mini vacation to me!

13 Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) December 28, 2010 at 9:22 pm

the sodastream, dont want to add ice, so in the fridge chillin…that would be me. Thanks for the heads up on that one.

Mango in the fridge for a few days? I bet those presliced containers of fruit they sell at the groc store, tj’s, WFs, etc are on the shelf for more than a day or two!
Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) recently posted..Cleanses- Detoxes- Detox Diets &amp Thoughts

14 BroccoliHut December 28, 2010 at 9:24 pm

Excellent work, Santa! Can’t wait to see how you like your homemade soda in the future:)
BroccoliHut recently posted..I’m on the List

15 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) December 28, 2010 at 9:32 pm

I loved that movie! Hope you do too πŸ™‚
Kate (What Kate is Cooking) recently posted..β€˜Twas the Night Before Christmas

16 fundertaking December 28, 2010 at 9:34 pm

RSS reader, first time commenter.

Are soda streams new to the USA? I’m from Australia (live in US now) and we had them in the 80s/90s while I was growing up.

To get instantly-chilled fizzy water, we used water from a jug in the fridge. My aunt had a few of the syrups, and we also kept those in the fridge and it seemed to extend the life of the syrup a little longer.

Anyway, congrats on your new toy!

17 fundertaking December 28, 2010 at 9:35 pm

RSS reader, first time commenter.

Anyway, congrats on your new toy!

18 Gabby (Quest for Delicious) December 28, 2010 at 9:37 pm

Mmm, I love mango! Especially when it’s super ripe. (:
Gabby (Quest for Delicious) recently posted..Mouth-watering

19 Ali @ Ali on the Run December 28, 2010 at 9:44 pm

Looking forward to hearing what you think about The Town. I’ve been debating adding it to my Netflix queue but can’t decide if it’s “my type of movie.” Enjoy!
Ali @ Ali on the Run recently posted..Snow-verloaded

20 Vanessa December 28, 2010 at 9:51 pm

I got the SodaStream for my birthday. I LOVE that thing!! So much better than buying sparkling water!! It definitely saves money in the long run!! Enjoy πŸ™‚
Vanessa recently posted..Outside the Box

21 AnneNP December 28, 2010 at 10:02 pm

I live in Charlestown!! It’s not as bad as they make it look πŸ™‚

22 Melissa @ TryingToHeal December 28, 2010 at 10:07 pm

haha, i love that you named your soda stream! you’re so cute!

and as far as your other post for the bridesmaid thing, just always be there for her when she needs anything. i was a horrible bridesmaid for my bestie this year, but i was also 3000+ miles away and it made things a bit hard. But I know you’ll be a great bridesmaid!!! YAY!!!!
Melissa @ TryingToHeal recently posted..Moannnnnday

23 Kt December 29, 2010 at 12:25 am

Just an FYI- I have soda stream, love it! I keep one of the bottles filled with tap water in the fridge so that it’s cold when I carbonate it πŸ™‚

24 Carla @ Will Run for Health December 29, 2010 at 1:04 am

I am super jealous of your soda stream! I wonder if you could carbonate other beverages (like juice)? Perhaps that would be taking it too far?

25 movesnmunchies December 29, 2010 at 1:58 am

what!! that is freakin awesome-i’ve never heard of anything like that before!
movesnmunchies recently posted..Perfect Day

26 Amy @ForDGRedial December 29, 2010 at 3:46 am

I always wanted a sodastream…but I don’t really like fizzzy drinks… No logic!!

Amy x

27 Hope December 29, 2010 at 8:01 am

The Sodastream is awesome! I really want one of those. I am constantly drinking seltzer. So if I could make mine own at home, it would definitely save me a lot of money!
Hope recently posted..An Icy Morning &amp Frozen Toes…

28 Anna December 29, 2010 at 8:31 am

A well-intentioned relative gave husband and me the Sodastream for Christmas…except we don’t really drink soda, ha. And we really don’t like the artificial sweetener that is in all the flavors (even the non-diet are 50% artificial sweeteners) This relative got it out of the box and demonstrated how to use it the day we got it, but we’re still gonna try to return it to Bed, Bath and Beyond because we’ll probably never use it on our own and we’ve been lusting after a pizza oven πŸ™‚ (We did find that it took more pushes of the carbonation button than it calls for to get it really fizzy…like 2 times as many)

29 Rebecca December 29, 2010 at 8:45 am

My brother got a SodaStream earlier in the year for his birthday and it is amazing. Enjoy!

And the idea of roasted veggies with sauce sounds like exactly what I’ve been looking for to break out of the ‘holiday’ eating pattern.
Rebecca recently posted..Home at last!

30 sweeter salt December 29, 2010 at 9:37 am

After reading this I added it to my wedding registry. I want one! How do you change the carbonator I wonder?

Laura
sweeter salt recently posted..I’m on Mainely Mara!

31 Kacy December 29, 2010 at 9:50 am

Those Soda Streams do look really cool. I am not that big of a carbonation fan, but I think it would be fun to play with.
I wish my bf was down with roasted veggies and red sauce. He’s the pickiest eater ever!
I can’t wait to see The Town, I’ve heard nothing but rave reviews.

32 Amanda December 29, 2010 at 10:24 am

I LOVED The Town!!! But probably because it’s my town haha…. I’m from Boston! Loved seeing my work in every other scene, so cool! And the accents!!! Lurrrveee <3

33 Beth @ DiningAndDishing December 29, 2010 at 10:29 am

If you put a jug of water in the fridge and then used that water to make the soda, would that work? Then it would be pre-chilled and you could enjoy it right away! πŸ™‚
Beth @ DiningAndDishing recently posted..RIP Camera Sock

34 skinnyrunner December 29, 2010 at 11:43 am

we just watched the town the other night. well jay watched it, i played around online, and then asked a thousand questions about it after the movie was over. sounds fun huh.

35 Elina (Healthy and Sane) December 29, 2010 at 10:10 pm

I got my husband the penguin soda maker and he loves it. Doesn’t it feel fancy being able to make carbonated drinks at home? I love it! πŸ™‚
Elina (Healthy and Sane) recently posted..Better luck next year