more ยป" />

Bridesmaid

by Meghann on December 28, 2010

Guess what?!?!

I’M GOING TO BE A BRIDESMAID!!!!!

My brother’s fiance, Ashley, asked me this morning! :)

I’ve never been a bridesmaid before. Heck, I’ve never even been in a wedding party before. I’m not 100% sure what comes with the territory besides putting a pretty dress on and walking down the aisle a few steps ahead of the bride, but I’m really excited to be supporting my brother and future sister-in-law on their big day.

IMG_1515.jpg

By the way, no dates have been officially set yet. They are thinking March 2012 (which in my opinion would be a fab month to get married). It gives them plenty of time to plan, finish school (Ashley has another semester of undergrad and then PT school), and settle a bit before saying I do. :)

Have you been a bridesmaid before? Anything I should know before diving in?

I had a great lunch today with a fellow Orlando blogger at Hot Olives in Winter Park.

Hot Olives recently moved to a brand new location off of Fairbanks and New York Ave. I like that it’s easy to find right on the main road. I also loved the larger space, open interior, and clean, funky design.

The menu was still the same great menu. Lots of delicious salads, sandwiches, and southern classics with a modern twist.

I ordered a cup of the Chicken Tortilla Soup which had large pieces of tortilla chips (instead of just the strips) and a great cheesey topping. Only thing missing was a little extra spice.

I paired the soup with the antipasto appetizer (gotta get those healthy fats in!)

And ignored the crostinis that came with the antipasto in favor of a crusty white roll from the basket served with our meals.

All in all a fabulous meal in a beautiful restaurant with great company.

I dined with Bess who writes the blog The Central Florida Top 5. I’m trying to dive further into the Orlando blogger scene and she’s volunteered to guide me. This girl knows her stuff. :)

Bess’ Blog is great if you are in the Orlando area – or are ever plan to visit. Each week Bess lists the Top 5 events of what to do in or around Orlando and every month she does a monthly break down of what’s coming up. I’m going to start blogging on her site in January covering some of the fitness events in the area. Sounds like fun to me. :)

1 allison @ livingoneday December 28, 2010 at 2:54 pm

fun!!! i have been in my fair share of wedding parties. they are FUN (albeit $$), but totally worth it. you get to support the people you love and share in their excitement. most often we have all gone together and purchased something “big” off the registry for the shower gift, and then did our own thing for wedding gift. but that’s far off. congrats!

2 Tami December 28, 2010 at 2:55 pm

i have been in one too many weddings if you ask me (and my wallet!) i didn’t ask my good friend to be in our wedding and she never spoke to me again! so, all this wedding stuff and rub me the wrong way sometimes. it will be an exciting time for everyone involved with this wedding though!

3 Claire December 28, 2010 at 2:56 pm

I LOVE being a bridesmaid. It’s such an exciting time and you will have SO MUCH fun :)

4 Emma (Sweet Tooth Runner) December 28, 2010 at 2:57 pm

Yay that’s great news! I’d love to be a bridesmaid, but like you, I’ve never even been part of the wedding party before! You’ll make a lovely bridesmaid :)

5 Sana December 28, 2010 at 2:59 pm

I was a bridesmaid in September! It’s actually a TON of fun! So have a blast and just remember to bring tissues for the walk down you WILL choke up!

6 Amy December 28, 2010 at 3:04 pm

So fun! I’ve been in a few weddings – it’s so special to get to be part of the big day. Your main responsibilities will be to help the maid of honor plan the shower, and make sure the bride has everything she needs on her wedding day. Have fun!!

7 Christin@purplebirdblog December 28, 2010 at 3:07 pm

I’ve been a bridesmaid twice, and although expensive its totally worth it!! I was from out of town both times, so I wasn’t as involved in the in-town planning and stuff as some of the other girls, but fun nevertheless! :)

8 Sarah for Real December 28, 2010 at 3:08 pm

I have never been a bridesmaid, but I can tell you that the maids for my wedding were amazing. The best things they did for me was to just ask if I needed help, what they could do and how they should do it. They didn’t offer opinions unless I asked and they were always super calm. I wasn’t a very demanding bride (at least I don’t think so)… I didn’t ask much of them but just knowing they were there if I needed it was so great. Also I’m sure I blabbed on and on about boring details but they did a great job listening and not making me feel too… blabby.

9 Beth @ Beth's Journey to Thin December 28, 2010 at 3:14 pm

I’ve been a bridesmaid 4 times now. Twice for my sisters, and twice for friends. I’d say the biggest thing is to realize you’re probably going to be spending a lot of money on the wedding, even though you’d probably be spending a lot since its your brother anyway. I ended up spending close to $1000 on the last wedding I was in, between the bridal shower, engagement party, bachelorette party, hotel/dress/shoes/makeup/hair on the wedding day, etc. Start saving now!!

10 Heather @ Side of Sneakers December 28, 2010 at 3:16 pm

YAY!! How exciting! I think I’ve been a bridesmaid like 7 times…some people hate it but I think it’s fun! It depends on what the bride wants- sometimes you’re just they’re to look pretty, and other times you’re there to make sure she has everything she needs at the wedding and when planning the wedding. And usually the bridesmaids do the bridal shower and bachelorette party together. :) All fun stuff! Just make sure you get your dress altered early so it’s comfy & fits right- nothing’s worse than worrying about your dress all night ;)

11 Kacy December 28, 2010 at 3:18 pm

I’ve been a bridesmaid twice. It’s pretty fun! It can be expensive and you have to take LOTS of pictures (when you really just want to eat and drink, haha) but it’s so great to be a part of the special day.

12 Lacey @ Lake Life December 28, 2010 at 3:20 pm

Your lunch looks so much better than mine was (albeit pricier). I think the most important thing about being a bridesmaid is the $ involved, so save up if you can!

13 Natalie O December 28, 2010 at 3:20 pm

I looooovvvveee Hot Olives!! It’s one of my fav places in Orlando.

I was never a bridesmaid :( But I got married recently and loved that my maid of honor was always there to listen to me complain about stupid things going wrong…hehe.

FYI, if they haven’t picked a location I highly recommend a destination wedding!

14 Evan Thomas December 28, 2010 at 3:21 pm

I’ve never been a bridesmaid in case that wasn’t clear :-)

15 CMae December 28, 2010 at 3:25 pm

Congratulations! I’ve been a bridesmaid a few times before, and it’s so fun to be involved with the wedding planning. Does the bride have a sister? If not, you may want to take the lead on hosting a shower or the bridal luncheon.

16 Allison @ PickyEatingRD December 28, 2010 at 3:26 pm

I have been a bridesmaid a few times and I think it is different with each bride! Depending on the wedding and brides style will effect how much $ you spend. I had one super laid back bride who let us choose our dresses after she told us the color and we found really great, low key, and trendy ones at banana. Needless to say that was a cheaper wedding to be a part of. Then I have had brides who want everything a certain way and that tends to get $$~!

17 Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) December 28, 2010 at 3:28 pm

Congrats on being a bridesmaid!!!

The only time I was ever a bridesmaid was my sister’s maid of honor. I was 5 mos pregnant and seriously standing up at the alter almost passed out in my dress that I could hardly fit into anymore that i picked out when i was 3.5 mos pregnant. lol

I want a blogger/email linky hookup like that for SoCal….have fun with the girls in Orlando!

18 Mimi December 28, 2010 at 3:29 pm

Here’s the deal: I’ve never been to a wedding before. But, now I’m engaged! Eek!
Congrats on being a bridesmaid. That is going to be so much fun. Sorry I can’t give you any advice, though… Heck, I need all the advice I can get!

19 Stephanie December 28, 2010 at 3:30 pm

SAVE MONEY NOW. hahaha I was a Bridesmaid for my sisters’ wedding and I’m in a wedding for one of my best friends this coming July. They are more expensive than you’d think they’d be. A blast though! :)

20 kelly December 28, 2010 at 3:32 pm

I’ve been a bridesmaid 3 times.. it can get pricey, depending on the bride! Your dress, shoes, makeup, hair, bachelorette party & (sometimes) bridal shower are all your responsibility most of the time. It’s a lot of fun if you love the person and like to plan things!

21 laura December 28, 2010 at 3:33 pm

yes to a march wedding!! i got married on march 15 (in chicago, yeah, i’m daring like that) so i may be biased. it all goes so fast, make sure and take time to make some memories. have fun!

22 Sarah @ Going on Goals December 28, 2010 at 3:37 pm

Congrats! I have never been in a wedding either, but I have heard it is a lot of fun but expensive.

It makes sense why they are waiting, some things just need to get done first! My boyfriend is in PT school now. As a runner, I love it! Lots of Free advice!

23 Kaitlin December 28, 2010 at 3:42 pm

I’m going to be a bridesmaid in January! It’s my first time too, but I can’t wait. So far it has been super taxing on my wallet for dress, shoes, plane tickets, etc but it’s SO worth it when you get to be there for the big day. Plus, the bride is likely spending way more on the event itself! Have fun :)

24 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat December 28, 2010 at 3:44 pm

Congrats on being a bridesmaid Meghann!! I’ve never been one either but it sounds like so much fun! I’m so happy (and excited) for your family.

25 Val @ Balancing Val December 28, 2010 at 3:48 pm

Here’s my tip . . .

START SAVING NOW!!!

When Im in a wedding put a certian amount away each month in an envelope until the big day. Gifts, dresses, accessories, bachlorette parties, showers . . . as nice as it is to be a part of someones day . . . its quite a financial commitment!

26 Bess December 28, 2010 at 3:51 pm

I enjoyed our lunch, Meghann, and thanks for the props! :) Let’s do it again soon.

27 Keri December 28, 2010 at 3:59 pm

Awwww congrads on finally being a bridesmaid! I was the maid-of-honor in my sister’s wedding and it’s QUITE the experience…I never truly realized how much the bride had to do for her wedding! Being as helpful as possible to your future sister-in-law is the best advice I can give… she’ll REALLY appreciate it! :D

28 Michelle December 28, 2010 at 4:00 pm

Congrats! Being a bridesmaid can be a lot of fun and a great honor. I really do think it depends on the bride’s expectations though. Really, you just gotta role with the punches! I’m sure you will have no problems with that.

I LOVE Hot Olives. I didn’t know they moved – sounds like it’s a good thing! Did a new restaurant move into their old spot?

29 Michelle December 28, 2010 at 4:26 pm

Congrats! I’ve been a bridesmaid countless times and there is a lot of truth to “just roll with the punches.” Try to help the bride keep everything in perspective; for example, “No, I don’t think it matters if the flower girl is wearing a pink dress with white flowers or a white dress with pink flowers… Everyone will just think, oh, how cute she is!” Remind her that the most important part of the day is being with friends and family, not the color of the placecards (although it can be SO hard not to get wrapped up in the fun, girly details).

30 Hope December 28, 2010 at 4:34 pm

I’ve been a bridesmaid one time. It can be fun depending on the bride and what the bride wants. Sometimes it can be on the expensive side. The most important thing is to have fun. :)

That restaurant looks awesome!

31 Ali @ Ali on the Run December 28, 2010 at 4:43 pm

Aw, so exciting! Weddings are such a fun and special time for the families involved, and being in the wedding party is always an honor. I’ve been a bridesmaid several times and I’ve found that it helps to offer to do specific tasks for the bride. If you say “What can I do?” she’ll say “Nothing” to be polite. If you offer to help with specific things, she’s more apt to take you up on the offer. Enjoy every minute of helping the wedding happen! You’ll love it.

32 Matt @ The Kitchen of a Runner December 28, 2010 at 4:43 pm

I have never been a bridesmaid either ;)

33 Christine December 28, 2010 at 4:47 pm

Being a bridesmaid can be super costly, depending on the bride, you, and the other girls. As soon as you know who you will be maiding with set up a lunch date to talk budget- it always seems that there’s always a range and you don’t want anyone to go broke :) Maybe ask the bride or two things that are really important to her and focus the budget there (for example, she is fine doing a cake and champagne shower but wants to party it up for the bachelorette, wants everyone in a certain dress but doesn’t care about shoes). There are so many cost saving tips- I’m sure it will be fun and affordable!

34 Jess@atasteofconfidence December 28, 2010 at 4:58 pm

I was a bridesmaid in my sister’s wedding, and will be one in my brother’s in August- I can’t wait!

35 Beth @ DiningAndDishing December 28, 2010 at 5:21 pm

Congrats! I’ve only ever been a bridesmaid for my best friend’s court house wedding – I was the bridesmaid/best man/witness/photographer etc… It was a very fun day!! But for a larger wedding I’m afraid I have no tips. :)

36 Allie December 28, 2010 at 5:35 pm

Congrats on being a bridesmaid!! Lunch looked yummy as well :) I love how Florida has a area called Winter Park.. seems ironic! ;)

37 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) December 28, 2010 at 5:40 pm

I’ve never been a bridesmaid before! I was a flower girl in my uncle’s wedding when I was 4, but I don’t really remember it :)

38 Katie December 28, 2010 at 6:02 pm

yay for being a bridesmaid!!!

I was a bridesmaid for the first time this past october and it was wonderful!!!!!

I know you will make an awesome bridesmaid!

I had to basically just help with money towards the bridal shower and bachelorette party, the MAid Of Honor is the one with the big duties!

39 Sarah (A Runner's Heart) December 28, 2010 at 7:11 pm

I have been a bridesmaid a few times and I loved every minute of it! I was my sis-in-law maid of honor in June and that’s where the big duties come in! I had to do all of the planning for the Bachelorette Party and Lengerie shower, but it was so much fun! Looks like you will have plenty of time to save up money and make plenty of memories with the Bride! Good Luck and Have fun with it all! :)

40 Brittany (Eating Bird Food) December 28, 2010 at 7:12 pm

Congrats lady – you’ll have a blast being part of your brother and future sister-n-law’s wedding. It can be pricey with purchasing the dress, accessories, travel and gifts but TOTALLY worth it!!

41 Erin December 28, 2010 at 7:42 pm

Congrats! I’m about to a bridesmaid and have been a bride. My advice is to look at any “tasks” you may be given as a fun way to help someone you love celebrate, not as a burden. (Judging from your blog- you seem to do this naturally, so you’ll be great!)

42 Lauren December 28, 2010 at 7:54 pm

I had a feeling this news was coming. Congrats!!! You will make a beautiful bridesmaid. Hopefully, one day soon, your future SIL will return the favor.

43 Halley(Blunder Construction) December 28, 2010 at 8:21 pm

Oooh, here’s to a good dress and some beautiful photos! Being a bridesmaid is so fun, especially when it is for a sibling’s wedding!!

44 Duchess of Fork December 28, 2010 at 8:45 pm

Being a bridesmaid is really fun! Just help the bride with anything she needs, and help the maid of honor with the showers and bachelorette party. How fun! :)

45 amanda December 28, 2010 at 8:51 pm

congrats to them! such cute head-wear they are sporting in that picture.

being a bridesmaid is such fun! you get to help with the planning of the bridal shower and bachelorette party-good timessss! i’ve been a bridesmaid twice…and i’m currently a bridesmaid for a friends wedding in september and the maid of honor for another wedding NEXT june.

you’re going to have such a BLAST with everything!

46 mindy @ just a one girl revolution. December 29, 2010 at 12:07 am

I’ve been a bridesmaid 3 times…once for each of my sisters and then a friend, plus MOH once . I think it really depends on the bride because I’ve done nothing except show up to the shower and rehearsal, and other times, done a lot. In my experience, the MOH has much more to handle.

47 Anne @thefitbridesmaid December 29, 2010 at 12:15 am

Well, their wedding is about 15 months away, which is how long our engagement will be. It goes by much faster than you would think. We are less than 5 months away now!! I have been in 10 weddings. No big words of wisdom. Just help out the bride as much as you can and make it about her (and your brother). Hopefully she’ll be laid back and enjoy anything you (and the other bridesmaids) do.
Maybe be sure to get your dress order in time and respond to communication in a timely manner. That will help out!

48 Chelsea @ Strawberry Sweat December 29, 2010 at 1:18 am

I’m going to be a bridesmaid for the first time too!! I just got asked about two weeks ago. Hope it’s not as hard as it looks :)

49 Caitlin December 29, 2010 at 7:55 am

Congrats on being a bridesmaid! I was the Maid of Honor at my sister’s wedding a couple years ago. I also just got asked the other day tobe the Maid of Honor at my bff’s wedding in 2012. It is always so much fun and such an honor (no pun intended) to be asked to help celebrate the day with your friend/family/etc.

50 Cynthia December 29, 2010 at 9:14 am

I’ve never been a bridesmaid, but I have been a bride. The main thing is just to offer whatever help you can in the wedding planning process. It can get crazy stressful!

51 Victoria December 29, 2010 at 9:40 am

I looove Hot Olives! I haven’t been to the new location yet. Does it have a good ambiance like the old one did?

I’ve been a bridesmaid a few times. Like most of the commenters above, I would agree that providing support to the bride is paramount. I have no doubt you’ll do an awesome job!

52 Katie G (http://justrollwithitblog.blogspot.com) December 29, 2010 at 12:13 pm

Congrats, so exciting! Being a bridesmaid is fun but it definitely can get expensive. I was in a wedding where my bridesmaid dress cost over $400! Most of the expenses are worth it in the end, especially when it is good friend or family member. Have fun!! :)

53 Whitney December 29, 2010 at 1:18 pm

You were literally next to my house – I live right behind Hot Olives :)

Have fun being a bridesmaid!

54 Lauren December 29, 2010 at 1:57 pm

My friend was so helpful on my wedding day, like someone else said here: when people asked me if I needed anything I said no. But she would ask if I needed her to go across the building to get my flip flops and the answer to that would be yes! Haha. Also I felt like the MOH of a wedding I was in kind of dropped the ball on the shower and the bachelorette. We picked up the slack a ton on organizing them, but I wish we had done more and not let the MOH have her way – so that the bride would have had a more special time!

55 Ffion January 7, 2011 at 3:52 pm

I’v been a bridesmaid twice- once when I was around three, which I don’t remember at all, but I got to wear ballet slippers, and I look damn cute in the photos! The second time was when my mum got married to my step dad. It was a really small wedding, I think less than twenty people attended, and I had no duties other than looking pretty :)