Getting my Hot Chocolate Fix

by Meghann on December 27, 2010

Last night’s White Hot Chocolate from Starbucks was good, but not quite good enough to quench my hot chocolate craving. I think it had something to do with the fact that White Chocolate isn’t exactly chocolate (as so many of you pointed out in my comments last night πŸ˜‰ ).

A cold day deserves a good cup of Hot Chocolate and I was determined to get a good one before this cold spell broke.

IMG_2776.jpg

My Dad has a slight obsession with William Sonoma’s Hot Chocolate Shavings and Santa always makes sure to leave him a fresh canister in his stocking every year.

IMG_2770.jpg IMG_2773.jpg

Lucky for me, Dad was willing to share. I steamed up three rich cups using skim milk and the fifteen tablespoons of chocolate shavings the directions called for.

Dad supplied the whip cream.

Now THAT’s what I call a good cup of Hot Chocolate!

As great and rich as this was, I think next time I would go a little lighter on the chocolate. The 5 tablespoons to the 1 cup of milk is just a tad too much. Maybe 3 next time instead? πŸ™‚

I came home earlier this evening just in time to help my sister and Dad put the finishing touches on dinner. My sister had chopped and heated up some vegetables and my Dad had shredded some left over chicken and made biscuits. I made a gravy using vegetable broth, flour, and seasonings to go with the veggies. I added the chicken to the veggies, poured everything in a baking dish, topped it with the biscuits, and baked it all for 45 minutes.

Chicken and Biscuits!

I’m not sure why I don’t make this more at home. It’s not terribly hard to make and is great for cuddling up with on a couch. It’s warm. It’s comforting. And it’s delicious to boot.

My sister even turned hers into a vegetarian version by leaving out the chicken and opting for some kidney beans instead.

Derek had given my parents an Ice Cream Maker to go with their Kitchen Aide Mixer for Christmas.

I thought it was a great gift because my Dad loves his kitchen aide mixer and is always on the hunt for new gadgets to go with it, however, the simple task of making one bowl of ice cream kept getting delayed due to the fact that each step required so many hours of time to complete. Who knew making ice cream was such a time consuming process?

15 hours to freeze the bowl?

8 hours to chill the mix?

4 – 6 hrs to finish everything off?

I believe a few “Isn’t it easier just to buy a $5 container from Publix?” escaped a few people’s lips.

Still, we held our ground and were determined to make some ice cream. Sure, we fudged a few numbers, but who follows directions that closely anyways?

Ok, so we ended up with more of a ice cream ‘soup’ than actual ice cream, but it was good and I believe that’s what really counts anyways. πŸ˜‰

IMG_2813.JPG IMG_2814.JPG IMG_2815.JPG

Mmmm….. vanilla soup with oreos

You won this round ice cream maker, but I’ll come prepare (with a few more hours) next time. πŸ˜‰

We’re watching Wall Street II Money Never Sleeps. I never saw the first one, but I’m digging this one. I may be the only person out there who will admit that I’m a Shia Labouf fan. I think It’s because he looks like my brother. They have the same mannerisms and facial expressions. It’s kind of spooky actually.

1 Evan Thomas December 27, 2010 at 9:33 pm

I LOVE my ice cream maker! I use it all the time in the Summer. You definitely need a cold base(about 2 hours of chilling) and then to let it sit in the freezer afterward for 2-4 hours to freeze fully. But it’s worth it!

2 Meghann December 28, 2010 at 9:58 am

You’re right. The rest went in the freezer overnight and now we have perfect ice cream.

3 BIOCHEMISTA December 27, 2010 at 9:36 pm

I can not believe you have an ice cream maker!!! SO jealous over here!! If I had FroYo maker I’d just open my mouth under then machine and skip the bowl πŸ™‚
BIOCHEMISTA recently posted..Sure you can cook me an lavish dinner

4 Christin@purplebirdblog December 27, 2010 at 9:42 pm

Vanilla soup looks mahhhhvelous! And you said 15 cups of chocolate in the first part of that post and it made me bust out laughing. πŸ˜‰
Christin@purplebirdblog recently posted..Recipes x4

5 Meghann December 28, 2010 at 9:59 am

haha – thanks Christin! I fixed it πŸ™‚

6 Natalie Rae December 27, 2010 at 9:45 pm

I have had Shia listed under Crushes on my Yelp account since I signed up… Use to watch him in Even Stevens! πŸ™‚

7 Brenna December 27, 2010 at 9:45 pm

Your ice-cream maker is so cute!
Brenna recently posted..β€œhelp! I’m stranded in the 1ere”

8 Kaitlin December 27, 2010 at 9:46 pm

The ice cream looks amazing! And the chicken and biscuits looks so delicious for a cool night. Your parents seem so fun! πŸ™‚
Kaitlin recently posted..Detroit Lions vs Miami Dolphins

9 Sana December 27, 2010 at 9:49 pm

I would not wait that long for ice cream- I love fro-you too much πŸ™‚
Sana recently posted..My Beef With Xmas

10 mindy @ just a one girl revolution. December 27, 2010 at 9:53 pm

I heart Shia.
mindy @ just a one girl revolution. recently posted..happy cookie

11 Courtney @ Sweet Tooth, Sweet Life December 27, 2010 at 10:06 pm

Soup or solid, still sounds good to me! Especially with Oreos…yummm. πŸ˜›
Courtney @ Sweet Tooth, Sweet Life recently posted..Burgundy Beef Stew A Bread Failure

12 Katy (The Singing Runner) December 27, 2010 at 10:33 pm

Haha…vanilla soup! πŸ™‚ Love it! πŸ™‚
Katy (The Singing Runner) recently posted..Keeping the Christmas Spirit Alive

13 Matt December 27, 2010 at 10:48 pm

Hey… Sugar is sugar right? Who cares if it is completely frozen?
Matt recently posted..Vega Sports Performance Protein

14 jessica December 27, 2010 at 10:50 pm

That also happened to me the first time I used my ice cream bowl attachment. BUT after that it never happpened again. Interesting huh? I only chill the bowl, not the mix too. The first time I did it by the book and mine was like yours.

15 Allison @ PickyEatingRD December 27, 2010 at 10:52 pm

Whenever I eat ice-cream I always let it melt before I eat it! Your ice cream soup looks perfect haha!
Allison @ PickyEatingRD recently posted..One Picture 7 Ways

16 Melissa @ TryingToHeal December 27, 2010 at 10:59 pm

oh, ice cream maker! i need to get one of those…maybe my william’s sonoma gift card from whit can help with that…
Melissa @ TryingToHeal recently posted..Moannnnnday

17 Meghann December 28, 2010 at 9:59 am

I know, now I want one of my very own. πŸ™‚

18 Angela December 27, 2010 at 11:03 pm

My KA ice cream maker also makes ice cream soup. Actually I call it semi melted frosty from wendys, anyway, overnight in the freezer and tomorrow you should have perfect ice cream. I think I should make some soon. Just need to remember to toss it into the freezer beforebeforehand.

19 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) December 27, 2010 at 11:03 pm

My parents have an ice cream maker, but it’s such a pain to lug it out! It’s really old. Maybe it will get some use in the summer πŸ™‚
Kate (What Kate is Cooking) recently posted..β€˜Twas the Night Before Christmas

20 Natalia@TheHealthScript December 27, 2010 at 11:08 pm

Hot coco on a cold day is amazing. I love putting a peppermint stick in mine for a minty flavor!
Natalia@TheHealthScript recently posted..Xmas 2010 Recap

21 Jessica @ The Process of Healing December 27, 2010 at 11:37 pm

There is NOTHING better than homemade ice cream!
Jessica @ The Process of Healing recently posted..Merry Christmas

22 movesnmunchies December 28, 2010 at 1:30 am

ice cream looks amazing!!!! so rich and creamy an cool… ahh!
movesnmunchies recently posted..Perfect Day

23 Taysa December 28, 2010 at 1:31 am

When you actually follow the ice cream maker directions, and find a good custard-base ice cream, you will never be excited over store bought ice cream again. The ice cream maker is the most used (and loved) appliance in our house.
Taysa recently posted..Mind Games

24 Billie December 28, 2010 at 4:52 am

I love home made ice cream. I have a dedicated ice cream maker the Philips Delizer. It makes the most amazing ice cream. You do have to plan well ahead though and freeze the bowl overnight or preferably over a few nights. I just keep mine permanently in a plastic bag in the freezer. I make a decent mango sorbet too just put a can of mango puree in the frozen bowl and let the machine churn a tasty sorbet. My friend’s favourite is my Turkish Delight icecream with rose oil and chunks of TD.
Billie recently posted..Phew…

25 Grace December 28, 2010 at 5:26 am

We got an ice cream maker for Christmas too and we’ve already tried it out too! Definitely takes a lot of time, but YUM.
Grace recently posted..Hello again!

26 Lauren December 28, 2010 at 6:50 am

Making your own ice cream is such a daunting task but one of those tasks that is so worth it in the end. I bet your parents will LOVE it!
Lauren recently posted..New Year New You

27 Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine December 28, 2010 at 7:26 am

I didn’t even know there was a Kitchen Aid ice cream attachment!! I have one of those mixers but I rarely use it because it’s such a hassle to clean…I’m lazy πŸ™‚
Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine recently posted..Christmas Day

28 Hope December 28, 2010 at 8:08 am

The Chicken and Biscuits looks so good! I’ve actually never had it before. I should definitely give it a try.
Hope recently posted..An Icy Morning &amp Frozen Toes…

29 Itecblogger December 28, 2010 at 8:18 am

I have this same ice cream maker, and I got the same result as you did the first time I made it. If your father ever figures out a good recipe that works for him, I hope you’ll share it here- would love to dig mine out this summer. yum

30 Ali December 28, 2010 at 8:57 am

I love the William Sonoma hot chocolate!! My mom got me some in my stocking last year and it is life changing πŸ˜‰
Ali recently posted..future race plans and chin ups

31 Kacy December 28, 2010 at 9:23 am

Hot chocolate sounds so good right now! It’s freezing in my office!

32 rebecca lustig December 28, 2010 at 10:06 am

hot chocolate is also delicious with a little something else mixed in….. for kicks… haha
πŸ™‚
rebecca lustig recently posted..A milestone passed

33 Elizabeth December 28, 2010 at 10:29 am

I picked up a Cuisinart Ice Cream maker at a thrift store last week for $8 and am excited that it only takes 20 minutes to make a batch! Of course, that’s after the bowl has frozen completely. πŸ™‚

34 Lacey @ Lake Life December 28, 2010 at 10:42 am

I’m in agreement that it’s easier to just buy ice cream at the store. Breyers has a pretty simple ingredient list too!

35 Amber December 28, 2010 at 1:08 pm

It’s a milk shake maker! Lol

36 Jena December 28, 2010 at 2:18 pm

Oh Dear. I’m quite sure I need an ice cream maker for my kitchen aid mixer. Hmm, Easter present.. I think so.
Jena recently posted..Why are you lurking

37 Claire December 28, 2010 at 2:23 pm

I like Shia! πŸ™‚
Claire recently posted..Christmas Recap!