Peppermint Bark and Enchiladas Recipes

by Meghann on December 22, 2010

What a BEAUTIFUL morning!

Bright shining sun, high of 72, and the prospect of spending the day with family. God, I love living in Florida! :)

I slept in this morning then did a 3 mile run around the neighborhood. Gotta love a run that actually occurs in the daylight. :)

After the run I decided to try a new DVD that a friend had sent me this week.

Jackie’s Crunch-Free Xtreme Abs is divided into two work outs: an ‘on your feet’ and an ‘on the floor’ version. Each work out is 15 minutes long or there’s an option to play all. I wasn’t sure what to expect so I kept it simple and just did the ‘on your feet’ work out option.

Whoa. 15 minutes was all I needed. The workout was fast and effective. I could definitely feel the burn and I loved that nothing was repeated – I hate workout videos that just repeat the same circuit over and over again. It gets old after a while.

I highly recommend this DVD if you are bored with your current ab routine. At the very least it’s great to get a few ideas from.

For breakfast I made a lovely bowl of cereal.

• 1/2 cup Peanut Butter Puffins
  • 1/2 cup Kashi Go Lean
  • 1/4 Attune Apple Granola Munch
  • Plain Yogurt
  • Fig Jam
  • Chia Seeds
  • Blueberries

Peppermint Bark and Enchiladas Recipes

I believe I owe ya’ll some recipes! :)

Peppermint Bark

• 2 14oz bags of Dark Chocolate
  • 2 14oz bags of White Chocolate
  • 2 tsp Peppermint Extract
  • 1 box of Candy Canes

Using a make shift double boiler (a pot with boiling water layered with a bowl or another pot) melt all of the dark chocolate. While the chocolate is melting unwrap and crush all of the candy canes using a ziploc bag and heavy pounding mechanism. Divide the candy cane into thirds. Add one third of the crushed candy canes to the dark chocolate plus a tsp of peppermint extract.

Line a baking sheet with parchment tape. Pour the dark chocolate on the parchment paper and spread into a thin layer. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.

Begin melting the white chocolate. Add a third of the crushed candy cane and a tsp of peppermint extract. Take the dark chocolate layer out of the fridge and spread the white chocolate layer on top. Finish off with a sprinkle of the final third of candy cane.

Refrigerate for an hour. Break into random pieces.

Enjoy!

Black Bean and Pineapple Enchiladas

• 1 can Black Beans
  • 1 can Pineapple Tidbits
  • 1 Red Onion (chopped)
  • 2 Tbsp Chili Powder
  • 1/4 cup Fresh Cilantro ( I love cilantro so I always go heavy on it)
  • 1 bag Mexican Cheese
  • 1 can Enchilada Sauce
  • 4 full size Tortillas

Preheat the oven to 350

In a large pan on the stove top start sauteeing the onions. Once they are translucent add the black beans. Dump the excess pineapple juice in a bowl and combine with the enchilada sauce. Add the pineapple, chili powder, and cilantro to the pan. Wait 5 minutes then add the cheese and 1/4 of the can of enchilada sauce. Stir until the cheese is melted.

Fill the four tortillas with an equal amount of the black beans and pineapple mix. Line enchiladas in pan and pour the rest of the enchilada sauce on top.

Bake for 20 minutes.

Enoy!

1 Kelly December 22, 2010 at 10:35 am

Jackie does have some killer abs, I want that DVD!
Kelly recently posted..It’s a Holiday Party!

2 Elisabeth December 22, 2010 at 10:36 am

Hmmm… a little confused by this ;-) “Refrigerate for minuting minutes.”

3 Mimi December 22, 2010 at 10:36 am

I love how yesterday you said that you love getting a run in before the sun rises. Today you said you like running in the daylight. Haha, not a criticism… I can relate!

4 Averie (LoveVeggiesandYoga) December 22, 2010 at 10:36 am

Bark and enchiladas. After doing Jackie and abs, I can’t think of anything better to follow up with :)
Averie (LoveVeggiesandYoga) recently posted..Using Up Odds &amp Ends- Microwave or Freezer Cooking &amp Baking

5 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat December 22, 2010 at 10:39 am

Wow, I really want to try some of these abs DVDs because I could use a good burn!! Your recipes sound amazing. I can definitely see a little peppermint bark-overdose in my future!
Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat recently posted..Food &amp Friends

6 Allison @ PickyEatingRD December 22, 2010 at 10:53 am

Don’t you just love Jackie!?! I’m not much of a dvd workout person but I have done some of her other dvds and they are great!!
Allison @ PickyEatingRD recently posted..The Weather Outside Is Weather

7 Amanda (Eating Up) December 22, 2010 at 10:54 am

I used to never want pineapple in anything savory, but oh how the times have changed!
Amanda (Eating Up) recently posted..My Family’s Pantry Tales

8 Beth @ Beth's Journey to Thin December 22, 2010 at 10:56 am

I only recently discovered stand up ab routines, and I LOVE them!
Beth @ Beth’s Journey to Thin recently posted..One Week In

9 See Lo Run December 22, 2010 at 11:07 am

I see an overdose of peppermint bark happening today (and tomorrow, and Friday…and maybe Saturday). LOVE that stuff.
See Lo Run recently posted..Where’s the Wagon I Need to Climb Back On

10 sweeter salt December 22, 2010 at 11:08 am

Love me some peppermint bark. So easy and so pretty. I usually drizzle on white chocolate, but I your idea of having two layers. Yum!

Laura
sweeter salt recently posted..Ch-ch-Check me out

11 grocery goddess jen December 22, 2010 at 11:08 am

I am so. jealous. that you are home today!
grocery goddess jen recently posted..An Evening of Yule-Spinach

12 Ali @ Ali on the Run December 22, 2010 at 11:13 am

Thanks for the DVD review! I’m always looking for new ways to mix up my ab routine, so this looks like a good fit. Love when things are hurting right away!
Ali @ Ali on the Run recently posted..I Owe My Morning Run to “Glee”

13 Diana (Run4Life) December 22, 2010 at 11:14 am

ooo I’ve never made candy before but this bark looks easy enough and delicious enough to try! One quick question though, how long do you refridgerate the dark chocolate? “Refrigerate for minuting minutes” is a little unclear ;-)
Diana (Run4Life) recently posted..Roasted Eggplant- Pumpkin- and Red Lentil Soup

14 Meghann December 22, 2010 at 4:17 pm

Sorry! It’s 30 minutes :)

15 Maria @ runningcupcake December 22, 2010 at 11:27 am

Yum both those recipes sound so good :)

16 Faith @ lovelyascharged December 22, 2010 at 11:40 am

Oh goodness, I read the title here and thought “peppermint enchiladas? what on earth is she thinking?” Looks like it’s time for someone’s vacation…
Faith @ lovelyascharged recently posted..Vegan and Gluten Free Mint Chocolate Cookies

17 Sarah for Real December 22, 2010 at 11:40 am

You might consider making your own enchilada sauce too! It’s super simple (can of tomato sauce and seasonings) and makes such a difference in flavor. I make a big batch and freeze the leftovers to use later.

18 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) December 22, 2010 at 11:40 am

I need to make that bark!

19 michelle December 22, 2010 at 11:52 am

72 degrees? Jealous!!!

20 Heather @ Side of Sneakers December 22, 2010 at 11:52 am

Mm those enchiladas are going on my cooking list ;) I love the addition of pineapple!
Heather @ Side of Sneakers recently posted..Lie to Me

21 Christin@purplebirdblog December 22, 2010 at 12:08 pm

My kind of bowl of cereal, right there! Tons of flavors and textures!
Christin@purplebirdblog recently posted..Holy Sea Cow!

22 Katherine: Unemployed December 22, 2010 at 12:10 pm

I love how you keep referring to peppermint bark and enchiladas recipes together as one unit. two good things but not in the same bowl right? at least dessert is listed first…
Katherine: Unemployed recently posted..Laura Ingalls

23 See Lo Run December 22, 2010 at 1:29 pm

Ha! I thought the same thing when I first read it!
See Lo Run recently posted..Where’s the Wagon I Need to Climb Back On

24 mcook December 22, 2010 at 7:16 pm

I was afraid to check this recipe out. I thought they were mixed too LOL!
Glad they were not!

25 Hope December 22, 2010 at 12:38 pm

I definitely need to make that peppermint bark! It sounds and looks amazing. The enchiladas sound interesting too. I might have to try them.
Hope recently posted..The Event That Wasn’t &amp A Light Show…

26 VeggieGirl December 22, 2010 at 12:46 pm

May I come visit and stay in the heat???? It’s freezing here!!! haha ;)
VeggieGirl recently posted..What NOT To Do At The Canadian Border

27 Ashley December 22, 2010 at 1:28 pm

I llooovvee peppermint bark. i t has to be my favorite holiday treat.
Ashley recently posted..Present Traditions

28 Kacy December 22, 2010 at 1:37 pm

I love Jackie! Her other video had some good ab moves in it so I bet that one is killer!

The enchiladas sound wonderful!
Kacy recently posted..Tag you’re it!

29 Jessica@tastyandtrim December 22, 2010 at 1:38 pm

I love peppermint bark!! Thanks for the recipes :)
Jessica@tastyandtrim recently posted..The Countdown Continues!

30 Nicole Lisa December 22, 2010 at 1:59 pm

BLESS YOU for the peppermint bark recipe!
It looked soooo yummy that I am making my better half bring the ingredients home so we have some for the commute tomorrow.
Marry Christmas!
<3 Nicole Lisa
Nicole Lisa recently posted..Wednesday Wishes

31 Kiran December 22, 2010 at 3:01 pm

I need to try these recipes, but only in 2011 ;) Happy Holidays!
Kiran recently posted..My favorite kitchen gadgets

32 Lacey @ Lake Life December 22, 2010 at 10:28 pm

I am so jealous of your time off AND your beautiful weather! Jealous of your enchilladas too but at least those are attainable :-)
Lacey @ Lake Life recently posted..12 Days of Christmas Songs- Day 9