The Rachel

by Meghann on December 21, 2010

You know you’ve had too many sweets in the last week when your body is craving salty food like Whoa!

IMG_1613

Oh, bagel filled with hummus, olives, goat cheese, and arugula – how I love you so.

IMG_1615

My sweet tooth as been so abused, that even the carrots were too sweet with me.

IMG_1620

Though dipping them in the hummus did help take the edge off.

IMG_1622

Salty pickle 🙂

IMG_1621

IMG_1623

I took a long lunch this afternoon to do something I’ve need to do for a while now: I got a haircut.

I’ve been scouting Groupon, Living Social, and Eversave for a good deal for a good while and last week a new salon called Acaj in Maitland popped up with a $50 gift certificate for $10 deal. Score!

IMAG0394

Acaj Salon has only been opened a few months now, so the Eversave promotion was a smart deal on their end. They told me they’ve seen a lot of business come their way from it. Hopefully they’ll see a lot of return business on it too.

The salon itself is very hip and modern inside. I loved all the decor and would want my living room apartment to be decorated the exact same way! Hip, stylish salons always make me feel so relaxed. It’s as if the decor assure me I’m in good hands.

I’ve been bored with my hair lately (when am I ever not bored with my hair?), so I told him to do what-ever he thought would work with my hair.

IMAG0392 IMAG0393

Question: Why is it when ever I tell a stylist to do what ever he/she wants with my hair I end up with The Rachel?

IMAG0397

December 2008 flashback !

Just a question.

I’m happy with the results and my hair is super soft now, but I just find it amusing that the majority of stylists see my hair a certain way (this is probably my 5th time unintentionally getting this haircut). I guess I was just looking for something completely different and out there?

1 Ali @ Ali on the Run December 21, 2010 at 4:02 pm

Wow, you are a risk-taker! I don’t think I’d ever just let the stylist “do whatever he/she wanted.” Good for you! Looks fab!
Ali @ Ali on the Run recently posted..I Owe My Morning Run to “Glee”

2 Dori December 21, 2010 at 4:04 pm

HAHAHAHAHA the pic of you next to Rachel is hilarious. And that post from 2008 made me laugh even more. You really do have the perfect face and hair for that cut though. I guarantee no hair stylist would EVER do that one on me! It looks great.
Dori recently posted..Core Fusion Bootcamp DVD Review Giveaway

3 movesnmunchies December 21, 2010 at 4:04 pm

hahahah it looks great! and really does resemble the Rachel! I am beginning toget sick of sweets too.. ive had a weeee too munch sweet stuff this weekend….
movesnmunchies recently posted..Sweet Week

4 Emma (Sweet Tooth Runner) December 21, 2010 at 4:04 pm

Well ‘The Rachel’ looks great on you! 🙂
Ooh I love the sandwich filling combo! I definitely see the whole hummus+olives thing in my future! 😀
Emma (Sweet Tooth Runner) recently posted..A Very Vegan Christmas

5 Phoebe December 21, 2010 at 4:06 pm

That’s funny that you keep unintentionally getting the same haircut! I too had the impulse to make a drastic change last month after having long straggly hair for the past three years and ended up with a sort of January Jones cut, except I can’t stop myself from straightening it most of the time. I bet that would work on you too b/c you can rock both straight and wavy hair!

6 melissa December 21, 2010 at 4:08 pm

i always say do what you want, and then I am always like, why didn’t I bring a picture?
melissa recently posted..DC and an Italian Delicacy

7 Lisa (bakebikeblog) December 21, 2010 at 4:11 pm

Oh my – I can totally relate!! I always end up with the same style whenever I tell the stylist to do what they want!
Lisa (bakebikeblog) recently posted..BBB Christmas Countdown – Feelin’ saucy

8 Sarah December 21, 2010 at 4:12 pm

haha, I love that several stylists choose the same cut. It looks great on you!

9 Kelly December 21, 2010 at 4:12 pm

It probably has to do with the texture and thickness of your hair. My stylist always tries to give me more layers so it will curl better, and be less heavy when I straighten it.
Kelly recently posted..It’s a Holiday Party!

10 Arlene @ Adventures in Weight Loss December 21, 2010 at 4:13 pm

Your hair looks fabulous. I’ve been known to tell the stylist to surprise me … but it never turns out that well.

I, too, am craving veggies after several days of sweets.
Arlene @ Adventures in Weight Loss recently posted..Mint chocolate

11 Rebecca December 21, 2010 at 4:14 pm

It is because you have a nice forehead! Hairdressers always give me the same thing also because there is basically two things to do with longer hair, bangs or layers. And if you have a nice forehead they don’t give you bangs.

Last week I begged for some bangs because I also get easily bored with my hair as well. Have you ever done any color? You could experiment with a demi-permanent so it would wash out after some weeks if you didn’t like it.

12 Meghann December 21, 2010 at 4:16 pm

I was debating doing some highlights or something to lighten it up a bit.

13 Alysa (Inspired RD) December 21, 2010 at 4:15 pm

Looks cute! I’ve had the Rachel multiple times. Yummy arugula by the way.
Alysa (Inspired RD) recently posted..5 Ways to Sneak Fitness into your Holidays

14 Kiran December 21, 2010 at 4:17 pm

Lovely haircut. It suits you and I am sure all the hairstylist agreed that you are the next Rachel 😉
Kiran recently posted..My favorite kitchen gadgets

15 Jaclyn December 21, 2010 at 4:20 pm

Your hair looks great! They probably just figured it would look good on you – it does!

And can I just say ahmen to the whole “you know you have been having too many sweets when…” im currently snacking on a salad with goat cheese lol. too many dough ball dough eysterday! ha!
Jaclyn recently posted..I present you Cookie Dough Balls and Vegan Soup!

16 Kacy December 21, 2010 at 4:20 pm

Haha, I think that hairstyle is so iconic it’s burned into all hairstylists subconsciouses. I like it!
Kacy recently posted..Tag you’re it!

17 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat December 21, 2010 at 4:21 pm

hehhe it DOES look like the Rachel! the style suits you though. i tend to get progressively more gutsy as i get closer and closer to the salon, and eventually when i’m there, i end up telling the stylist to generally ‘take a few inches off and define the layers a bit more’ – the result is always a bit different but it works every time and i haven’t really had one i didn’t like!
Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat recently posted..Food &amp Friends

18 Averie (LoveVeggiesandYoga) December 21, 2010 at 4:22 pm

i have never been brave or bold enough to tell a stylist to do whatever they want with my hair…MAJOR props to you!!! MAJOR!!!! 🙂

Your hair looks great…it’s healthy and beautiful and the style works for you. Back in the day, I used to have a bit of the Rachel. But you really do! And it works for you!
Averie (LoveVeggiesandYoga) recently posted..Pool Pictures- Winter Solstice- Tips for Free Goodies

19 Kate N. December 21, 2010 at 4:23 pm

I always ALWAYS end up with the Rachel too. I’ve told stylists to do anything BUT the Rachel and it doesn’t matter. I even threatened one with no tip when I saw what she was doing. Probably why I haven’t gotten my haircut since May!

20 Ashley December 21, 2010 at 4:25 pm

That’s hilarious. It looks great though!
Ashley recently posted..Present Traditions

21 Katy (The Singing Runner) December 21, 2010 at 4:32 pm

I’ve gotten the same haircut for so long! I’m not a risk taker when it comes to my hair. 😉
Katy (The Singing Runner) recently posted..30 Day To Go! And I’m a Guest Blogger!

22 Hope December 21, 2010 at 4:34 pm

I love your haircut! It’s so cute! I’m the same way. I always ask for something different usually end up with the same thing. Although, I’m usually nervous to take a risk with my hair.
Hope recently posted..The Event That Wasn’t &amp A Light Show…

23 Corey December 21, 2010 at 4:38 pm

It looks gorgeous Meghann! I love it. So cute. When you said you were debating highlights that could be fun too . . .I get bored with my hair and love trying new stuff! Does Derek have an opinion? Most guys don’t even notice, lol.

24 Ryan M. December 21, 2010 at 4:41 pm

It looks super cute and super healthy. I was always the girl that wanted to be able to pull off “The Rachel” and couldn’t!
Ryan M. recently posted..Love at First Spin

25 Lindsey December 21, 2010 at 4:47 pm

My stylist used to insist on giving me the same short, choppy do for two years. One time she went just a tad too short (especially since I only wanted a trim!) and I started to cry hysterically. My stylist was upset that I was upset and I got a nice discount. I still go to her but she always asks what I what and never goes short without expressed permission. 🙂
Lindsey recently posted..Pimpin Aint Easy

26 Heather December 21, 2010 at 4:49 pm

So cute & super funny since I’m heading for a cut this evening & giving her free reign over my head too! My hair has been halfway down my back for a while & I’m ready for something spicy! We’ll go just below shoulders with fun layers most likely. A longer Rachel 🙂

27 Matt December 21, 2010 at 5:03 pm

I think it looks good 😉
Matt recently posted..The Traveling Runner

28 Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine December 21, 2010 at 5:33 pm

You’re so brave for saying that to a hairstylist!! I feel like I’d come out with a pixie. The Rachel looks awesome on you, though!
Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine recently posted..Twinkle Toes

29 erica December 21, 2010 at 5:34 pm

hahahaha! i always get a variation of “the rachel” too. is your hair thick? mine is, i think that’s why everyone gives me the same “style”.

looks good though!
erica recently posted..oh the weather outside is frightful

30 Kate December 21, 2010 at 5:36 pm

Bwahahahahahahaha

31 Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun December 21, 2010 at 5:49 pm

Your hair looks great. I guess that cut does just suit you. I got my hair cut just a bit ago. I’m not a fan. Boo!
Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun recently posted..What A Good Day!

32 Shanna, like Banana December 21, 2010 at 5:55 pm

It looks GREAT! But that is pretty funny.
Shanna, like Banana recently posted..Surrounding myself with Christmas spirit

33 michelle December 21, 2010 at 6:21 pm

I love that haircut on you. IT looks awesome.
michelle recently posted..2010 – Running

34 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) December 21, 2010 at 6:33 pm

I think it’s cute on you!

35 Lauren December 21, 2010 at 6:34 pm

Hah, I love the Rachel look though. FRIENDS is my favorite show..I’ve seen all 10 seasons multiple times.
Lauren recently posted..The Truth about the Treadmill

36 Laura (Starloz) December 21, 2010 at 6:42 pm

i cant believe that, sooooo funny
Laura (Starloz) recently posted..Passing the blame

37 Sana December 21, 2010 at 6:48 pm

It does look like the Rachel but it looks SO good :)!
Sana recently posted..Sleep-in Saturday

38 RunningOnCoffee December 21, 2010 at 7:20 pm

Well, compared with the flashback, your part moved to the other side!
That is funny that everyone chooses that style for you 🙂 It looks good though! I have told *real* hairdressers to do what they think works for my hair, and for curly hair, that seems to be mostly straight across, and shoulder length. At a variety of super cuts/great clips, that seems to mean a super angled/layered style which turns into a curly mullet disaster. yikes!
RunningOnCoffee recently posted..Jambalaya- Spinning- and Sleepy Dog Pictures

39 Brittany (Eating Bird Food) December 21, 2010 at 7:22 pm

The Rachel looks good on you, maybe that’s why you always end up with it! 🙂
Brittany (Eating Bird Food) recently posted..The MPG Winner Is…

40 Nicole @ running around the rock December 21, 2010 at 7:29 pm

That’s funny! You totally got “The Rachel”! But it does look nice on you 😉
Nicole @ running around the rock recently posted..Mark All As Read

41 Krystina December 21, 2010 at 7:41 pm

Your hair looks beautiful!
Krystina recently posted..Vegan Chili Hot Cocoa

42 Anne Marie December 21, 2010 at 7:49 pm

You’ll probably always get that until you say that you’re ready to go SHORT!! At least that’s how it was for me 🙂
Anne Marie recently posted..25 Days of Gratefulness – Day 21

43 Julie @ Wearing Mascara December 21, 2010 at 7:52 pm

Very cute!!!! I think it’s cut that way because “The Rachel” is a good look for you!
Julie @ Wearing Mascara recently posted..One month of Bikram

44 KaraNicole December 21, 2010 at 8:35 pm

Just started reading your blog and I figured I would leave me first comment to tell you your hair looks AMAZING!!! Ive been wanting to do something with mine but I get SO nervous!

45 Christin@purplebirdblog December 21, 2010 at 9:06 pm

You look super cute with the Rachel!! I tried that hairstyle once and it was a huge bummer! 🙂
Christin@purplebirdblog recently posted..Holy Sea Cow!

46 Diana (Run4Life) December 21, 2010 at 9:23 pm

You’re hair looks super cute!! I used to be obsessed with Friends and Rachel was my favorite character. I wish I could rock a short haircut!

47 Mica December 21, 2010 at 9:45 pm

I’ve gotten “The Rachel” so many times, and it always looks different when it’s styled in the salon.

I finally got sick of the same “Rachel” cut and gave up going to “white” salons. Now, I get my hair cut at a Korean salon where I can’t communicate very well with the stylists. At least they know how to cut Asian hair though, and I get something other than “the Rachel.”
Mica recently posted..Run &amp Eat with Jessica

48 Lindsay December 21, 2010 at 10:04 pm

I LOVE the “Rachel” Cut on you. I think it looks great and I am guessing that is what the stylists were thinking aswell. I think it is amazing that you have the guts to go into Different salons all of the time having different people cutting your hair. I had the worst experience once where I went to someone new for a cut and I left in tears…. my bangs were cut so short that I didnt know what to do with them and my layers were so uneven it was crazy. I never went back and have stuck with my old favorite since then. Have you ever had a bad experience with a hair cut?? Do you think it is wise to constantly change hair dressers or are you just looking for the cheapest cut??
Lindsay recently posted..I’ll Be Back…

49 Meghann December 21, 2010 at 10:09 pm

I was raised going to hair cuttery/ super cuts. I’ve never found a hairstylists that I thought did such an amazing job with my hair that I felt the desire to go back. Honestly, I forget who the person was that cuts my hair as soon as I walk out the door most time. I’m really just looking for the cheapest cut. Maybe if I did find someone that cut my hair in a way that left me drooling I would go back for more, but I’m still waiting for that. :/

50 Lacey @ Lake Life December 21, 2010 at 10:40 pm

Your hair looks great but also looks like it will be hard to maintain. I always pick hairstyles based on how long it will take me to do in the morning.

51 Shannon @ Philadelphia Phitness Pharmacy December 21, 2010 at 10:42 pm

Cute haircut! Not quite the Rachel…haha. And it does look super soft and healthy.
Shannon @ Philadelphia Phitness Pharmacy recently posted..One foot in front of the other

52 Michelle December 21, 2010 at 11:14 pm

I think we have similar hair — mine is wavy, but not 100% curly and not 100% straight – because I frequently end up with this cut too! I found the perfect stylist (and she never gave me this cut!), but she just moved so now I just feel cold and alone (and I have scary hair) – and I’m dreading the Rachel cut. I do find that finding someone who you click with (and has a similar hair type) makes a big difference! FWIW – I think it looks cute on you!
Michelle recently posted..Good Friends- Good Food- Wine

53 Vanessa December 21, 2010 at 11:49 pm

I’ve always wanted to go to a salon and tell the stylist to do whatever they thought would look good. But I always chicken out. Your hair looks good though! I like it!
Vanessa recently posted..Cuckoo

54 Paula December 22, 2010 at 8:43 am

I think that it’s just such a classic haircut now, as someone else said. It’s not even that it’s “The Rachel” anymore. Plus, it obviously suits you, it looks great! Unless you really tell them to chop it, they’re going to only go so far, and that’s a conservative way to go.

55 Stephanie December 22, 2010 at 11:24 am

I’ve done that so many times, and I nearly always end up with the same haircut too. My current hairstylist knows that I’ll do just about anything with my hair, so she’s less fearful that I’ll freak (considering I told her to chop it like Jaime Pressly’s at one point and loved it…that was pretty short for me). I think it could be the shape of your face too? Because the layers look really good, and you have a similar structure as Jennifer Aniston in that picture. Plus, it’s so versatile and conservative, and it grows out well.

56 Ffion December 29, 2010 at 6:58 am

Well it looks good! ‘The Rachel’ wasn’t a global phenomenon for nothing!
Ffion recently posted..Nadolig Llawen!

57 Albie Flores January 5, 2011 at 11:32 pm

Meghann,

I was so excited to see your post. It always makes me smile when I see another happy client . 50+ comments about how great your hair looks and how healthy it is, flatters us more than you know. As you know, ACAJ Salon is a treatment based salon, offering complimentary hair therapy conditioning treatments with absolutely no obligation. I want to personally invite everyone who posted to this blog, to come in for a free no obligation hair therapy treatment and a style/color consultation. For anyone who books a service the same day as their treatment/consultation, you will receive $20 off any one service or $30 off any two services. Print your post and bring with you as your proof of discount.

Prepare to be blown away! Call now (321) 972-2102