It’s GIngerbread Man Time

by Meghann on December 19, 2010

I think my favorite part of Christmas isn’t receiving gifts, it’s giving them. When ever I find that perfect gift for someone, I immediately want to rush over and have them unwrap it.

Which is precisely what led to this, this evening.

My sister, Kelly, and her boyfriend, Anthony, came over this evening for cookie decorating, beer drinking, and dinner eating. As soon as they walked in the door I immediately thrusted the gift I had just wrapped hours before.

They love their dogs just as much as I love my Maddie, so these bone shaped ornaments baring each of their fur babies was just what their young tree needed.

Sometimes the simple gifts are the best ones. πŸ™‚

It was nice having Kelly and Anthony over tonight.

I made my famous Black Bean and Pineapple Enchiladas (I need to write out the recipe for this because it’s a good one).

And some baked yucca.

Derek and I had purchased a Holiday Sam Adams sampler pack earlier today primarily because it contained a couple of their special Chocolate Bocks.

IMG_1244.jpg

The beer was rich and flavorful. A great holiday pick. πŸ™‚

Cookie decorating party tip: prepare the dough before your guests arrive. That way all you have to do is pop it out of the fridge and get to cookie cutting without missing a beat.

I went with Martha Stewart’s classic gingerbread cookie recipe for the dough. My only problem with the recipe was that it called for way too much flour. The recipe asked for 6, but I only used 4.

I debated between sugar cookies and gingerbread and decided I really wanted gingerbread. My plan was just to treat the gingerbread like sugar cookies either way. πŸ˜‰

IMG_1278.JPG IMG_1279.JPG

Maddie was our supervisor during the whole cookie baking process. She didn’t miss a beat with cookie droppings or excess dough damage.

Cookies ready to be iced. πŸ™‚

It’s party time!

IMG_1327.JPG IMG_1328.JPG IMG_1329.JPG IMG_1330.JPG

Nothing like a great cookie decorating session to bring out the kid in all of us. We laughed. We told dirty jokes. We ate our weight in gingerbread. (I had two cookies + icing & dough)

Go Noles!

The best part is I can just bring all the cookies to work tomorrow and spread the holiday joy. πŸ™‚

1 Amanda (Eating Up) December 19, 2010 at 10:43 pm

Cookie decorating parties are my favorite! Even as an adult πŸ™‚
Amanda (Eating Up) recently posted..I’d Climb A Mountain for These Cookies

2 Lauren December 19, 2010 at 10:46 pm

The Sam Adams chocolate was good, but I really like the Harpoon chocolate stout!
Lauren recently posted..The Truth about the Treadmill

3 Kelly December 19, 2010 at 10:54 pm

Anthony and I had a blast! Thanks for having us over. πŸ™‚ About to put the doggies ornaments on the tree!
Kelly recently posted..Some Changes

4 Katy (The Singing Runner) December 19, 2010 at 10:56 pm

Those cookies look great, except the FSU one! I think it would look better in orange and blue. πŸ˜‰
Katy (The Singing Runner) recently posted..30 Day To Go! And I’m a Guest Blogger!

5 rachel December 19, 2010 at 10:58 pm

yes, please post the recipe for those enchiladas- they sound really interesting!

6 Amanda @ The Hungry Wanderers December 19, 2010 at 11:01 pm

Glad to see you enjoying a Chocolate Bock πŸ™‚ That’s the same reason I got the winter sampler pack AND I’m enjoying one right now as I type this. Wish I had some Christmas cookies to go along with it!
Amanda @ The Hungry Wanderers recently posted..Rosemary’s Restaurant

7 Lindsey (HIP LIP) December 19, 2010 at 11:01 pm

I just made gingerbread cookies too!
Lindsey (HIP LIP) recently posted..Recipe- Old-Fashioned Gingerbread Cookies

8 Sana December 19, 2010 at 11:09 pm

cute overload! I love that you and your sister can have fun double dates!
Sana recently posted..Sleep-in Saturday

9 Lacey @ Lake Life December 19, 2010 at 11:27 pm

Your gingerbread cookies are so cute! The OCD part of me loves that your dishes, your tree, your wrapping paper & your cookies all match!
Lacey @ Lake Life recently posted..12 Days of Christmas Songs- Day 4

10 Averie (LoveVeggiesandYoga) December 19, 2010 at 11:30 pm

love the getting the dough ready before everyone arrives tip. i try to do that with ANYTHING i possibly can. I’d rather be w/ my guests than stuck in the kitchen once they get there.

super cute cooooookiessssss! πŸ™‚
Averie (LoveVeggiesandYoga) recently posted..Chocolate Covered Oreo Balls

11 Christin@purplebirdblog December 19, 2010 at 11:30 pm

I love those ornaments!! And blue icing rocks!
Christin@purplebirdblog recently posted..Rainbow Yogurt

12 Laura (Starloz) December 19, 2010 at 11:35 pm

oh what an adorable idea. i think i might do this soon, oh christmas is coming quickly
Laura (Starloz) recently posted..You can’t stop it

13 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) December 19, 2010 at 11:57 pm

I would have eaten half the batch! They look so pretty πŸ™‚

14 Ashley December 19, 2010 at 11:58 pm

Giving presents is my favorite part too. The cookies look really good!
Ashley recently posted..Present Traditions

15 Shannon @ Philadelphia Phitness Pharmacy December 20, 2010 at 12:05 am

Such a fun cookie party!!!
Shannon @ Philadelphia Phitness Pharmacy recently posted..Starting to feel a little festive

16 Michelle December 20, 2010 at 12:46 am

I love that you have the boys decorating cookies! I can’t say that ever happened in my house before kids. Please share the enchilada recipe. And yes, go Noles! Woot!
Michelle recently posted..And 16 hours later

17 Marina December 20, 2010 at 1:10 am

Mhm, gingerbread cookies. It sounds like so much fun, decorating cookies with good company πŸ™‚

18 Kiran December 20, 2010 at 1:23 am

Nothing is better than spending time during holidays, baking and decorating with loved ones πŸ™‚
Kiran recently posted..My favorite kitchen gadgets

19 movesnmunchies December 20, 2010 at 2:20 am

yay! im glad you go the gingerbread ingredients! i love gingerbread decorating- alway super fun with friends, but mine always turn out ugly..
movesnmunchies recently posted..Sweet Week

20 Emma (Sweet Tooth Runner) December 20, 2010 at 5:21 am

That is such a coincidence! I made gingerbread cookies today too! πŸ˜€
Your icing party looks like a lotta fun! πŸ™‚
Emma (Sweet Tooth Runner) recently posted..I Hate Snow

21 Lauren December 20, 2010 at 6:54 am

Such a fun evening! I’m the same way when it comes to gifts. I already gave my husband his perfect gift last week. I held out longer than usual this year though. πŸ˜‰
Lauren recently posted..Second Chance Winner and a NEW Trader Joes Christmas Giveaway!

22 Faith @ lovelyascharged December 20, 2010 at 8:21 am

Yay for baking like a madwoman and pawning off the results on other people…haha. I’m the same way with presents – I’ve already given half of mine – at least!

23 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat December 20, 2010 at 8:34 am

What a fun night!! I love cookie decorating, especially with good company. Enjoy your gingerbread! πŸ™‚
Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat recently posted..Food &amp Friends

24 michelle December 20, 2010 at 8:47 am

I looove decorating cookies.
michelle recently posted..2010 – Running

25 Allie December 20, 2010 at 9:27 am

Yay for gingerbread and fun times! I wish I worked with you cause I could totally devour a few of those cookies πŸ˜‰ Plus Florida is a lot warmer than Pittsburgh right now hahaa
Allie recently posted..My life in 30 days- day 05

26 Ann December 20, 2010 at 9:42 am

Cookie decorating parties always get my creative juices flowing. I love the blue snowflake with the white. And you have the best of both worlds- enjoy making them and hanging out with your friends and share them at work the next day so you can spread the love.

My corgi is the exact same way after a party- we call her our vacuum. She finds every crumb!
Ann recently posted..Weekend

27 Mimi December 20, 2010 at 9:48 am

What a fun thing to do with your sister and the men!
Mimi recently posted..Cranberries and nuts

28 Maria @ runningcupcake December 20, 2010 at 10:14 am

Love the sound of the bean and pineapple enchiladas πŸ™‚

29 Hope December 20, 2010 at 10:57 am

Those cookies look so cute!!

30 Heather @ Side of Sneakers December 20, 2010 at 11:07 am

Mmm those enchiladas sound amazing πŸ™‚
Heather @ Side of Sneakers recently posted..Gift Guide for the Injury Prone Runner

31 Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather December 20, 2010 at 11:50 am

What a fun time! I love decorating cookies! Great supervisor Maddie was πŸ™‚

32 BroccoliHut December 20, 2010 at 11:43 pm

Haha! Love how Maddie is front-and-center at the cookie decorating table!
BroccoliHut recently posted..Return to Alabama